Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,209 members, 7,822,079 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:51 AM

Toyota Camry 1999 Model Making A Clattering Sound When Ignition Turned On - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Toyota Camry 1999 Model Making A Clattering Sound When Ignition Turned On (1627 Views)

My Car Makes A Squealing/whistling Sound When Ac Is Turned On / Siena Central Lock Fails When Ignition Is On / Car Key Stuck To Ignition (honda Civic 2001) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Toyota Camry 1999 Model Making A Clattering Sound When Ignition Turned On by JhaayYoung: 12:10am On Dec 25, 2014
my toyota camry 1999 model makes a claterring sound when ignition turn on.. Some say it's the batter why other day alternator, others even say the engine power has to be Increased.. Please I need advice by my able and experienced nairalander
Re: Toyota Camry 1999 Model Making A Clattering Sound When Ignition Turned On by AutosBay(m): 9:34am On Dec 25, 2014
Would suggest you read this hope it helps.

The rattling noise could be anything and is not necessarily serious, if the smoke was white it is water vapour still not serious, if it is blue then it is burning oil now I would be worried.

The AC compressor could be seized, you will need a rebuilt one or try a used parts dealer. It's possible that only the clutch has gone bad. The clutch engages the compressor to start turning. If your AC was not on when the noise appeared, it IS the clutch. It can be replaced without having to take the compressor out of the car, and recharging the freon.

AC maintenance for stored vehicles means there is a procedure you have to do when you put your car away for long periods.
The AC compressor does not like to stand still for long periods, it's recommended that you turn on your AC once a month even in the winter so it does not seize. The oil in the pump gets circulated that way.

If your Camry has been stored for a long time a year or more. It's possibly your AC pump has seized.

The smell was your belt slipping over the pulley of the AC. Did it smell like burning rubber.

Source: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/?qid=20070302171441AAZKSQZ
Re: Toyota Camry 1999 Model Making A Clattering Sound When Ignition Turned On by DECOtech(m): 10:42am On Dec 25, 2014
JhaayYoung:
my toyota camry 1999 model makes a claterring sound when ignition turn on.. Some say it's the batter why other day alternator, others even say the engine power has to be Increased.. Please I need advice by my able and experienced nairalander

Merry xmas sir.

Call this number to have your car scanned 08030938491
Then you can know what exactly is wrong with your car and assist you accordingly.
Re: Toyota Camry 1999 Model Making A Clattering Sound When Ignition Turned On by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:33am On Dec 25, 2014
JhaayYoung:

From your post a assume you mean when the key is turned to ignition (engine not running yet) if that is the case I'm left to assume your fans have been wired to start with ignintion and are your current unplesant noise culprits. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Re: Toyota Camry 1999 Model Making A Clattering Sound When Ignition Turned On by JhaayYoung: 9:51am On Dec 26, 2014
No, I mean when trying to turn engine on.. It makes the sound and doesn't start.. Until it is jump started..
Re: Toyota Camry 1999 Model Making A Clattering Sound When Ignition Turned On by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:43pm On Dec 29, 2014
JhaayYoung:
No, I mean when trying to turn engine on.. It makes the sound and doesn't start.. Until it is jump started..

Please define the bolded.
Re: Toyota Camry 1999 Model Making A Clattering Sound When Ignition Turned On by chillex8(m): 3:19pm On Dec 29, 2014
all these ops that will open complaint thread and run off lipsrsealed
Re: Toyota Camry 1999 Model Making A Clattering Sound When Ignition Turned On by JhaayYoung: 4:11am On Dec 31, 2014
Jump started meaning!! When another battery is used to start it.. I changed the battery to a bigger one, it stopped for some days and happened again and the old battery was what I used in starting the car cow whenever it happens an external battery must be used
Re: Toyota Camry 1999 Model Making A Clattering Sound When Ignition Turned On by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:30am On Dec 31, 2014
JhaayYoung:
Jump started meaning!! When another battery is used to start it.. I changed the battery to a bigger one, it stopped for some days and happened again and the old battery was what I used in starting the car cow whenever it happens an external battery must be used

Starter motor(kick starter) failing.

1 Like

Re: Toyota Camry 1999 Model Making A Clattering Sound When Ignition Turned On by JhaayYoung: 9:02am On Feb 02, 2015
Good morning to all my Oga's. Please the problem still persist.. Let me give a detailed narration of my experiences. The car kept on making the sound whenever I wanna start it.. It doesn't start until I do a jump starts with another person's battery. Sometimes ago a friend's Siena was involved in an Autocrash so he gave me his battery, the car worked for four days and started the problem again.. I took it to first gate Agidingbi, after a lot of checking and testing of my alternator and other things, they concluded its the battery, they adviced I buy 75 amps instead of the 65 amps there, I dropped my battery and added cash to carry a brand new battery. The problem stopped and I thought it was over, now after just 3 weeks of buying a brand new battery, it has started again. The indicator on the battery shows the battery is weak, the green light on the battery not ON. Meanwhile the guy I dropped my batterY with when I wanted to buy the new one told me, the former battery I gave him isn't danaged, he said all it needed was charging and it is back working fine.. No mechanic knows what to do.. My horn doesn't sound well showing the battery is not working, the car just working.. I don't turn off ignition all day.. Please I need advice on what the problem could be..
Re: Toyota Camry 1999 Model Making A Clattering Sound When Ignition Turned On by Nobody: 12:49pm On Feb 02, 2015
Two things are involved here:
1. Either there is something draining your battery gradually when the engine is off. Or
2 . Your charging system is faulty.

Buying a higher Amp-hour battery won't solve your problem.
Since you said the alternator has been tested, I suggest you get someone that can check the current draw from the battery when the engine is off. (Pay attention to lights, bad relays, aftermarket security & keyless entry systems, amplifiers, ...)

But before then maybe you should consider disconnecting the negative terminal of your battery when parking for a long time.
Re: Toyota Camry 1999 Model Making A Clattering Sound When Ignition Turned On by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:18pm On Feb 02, 2015
Since you said "no mechanic knows what is wrong" let me prove you wrong. Problem is 100per charging system, my number is in my signature if you really want to fix it.
Re: Toyota Camry 1999 Model Making A Clattering Sound When Ignition Turned On by JhaayYoung: 3:58am On Feb 03, 2015
Thanks to my Oga's that replied the post.. The alternator was changed today and it seem to be working fine for now, will drive it overtime and see if the issue comes up again.. Will feed everyone back..
Thanks for your help. It means a lot.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

See What An Okada Man Was Spotted Carrying In Agege,lagos(photos) / All New 2018 Audi A7 Sportback (details, Photos And Price) / Toyota Corolla Is Overheating

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.