Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,506 members, 7,823,187 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:09 AM

Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society (26367 Views)

10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs / 15 Signs That Confirm You’re A Typical Nigerian / Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society by airsaylongcon: 6:30pm On Dec 28, 2014
KoloOyinbo:

Maybe if he Uncrossed a ladies legs the child might look like him! wink

looolz....based on chukuli!
Re: Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society by airsaylongcon: 6:32pm On Dec 28, 2014
fluxbush:
Sweeping at night is believed to be a bad practice. Also,a man who crosses the legs of a pregnant lady must retrace his steps because it is believed that the unborn child will look like him.

this one though...the other day i "pink" broom dey sweep for night. see as my immediate younger bro hala! this one we got from momsi. looking back i think she just wanted us to do d house chores early enuff
Re: Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society by Chizzy20(f): 6:33pm On Dec 28, 2014
was made to belief cobwebs attract poverty..
Re: Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society by Awaja(m): 6:33pm On Dec 28, 2014
If by chance a butterfly perches on u,then one of ur relatives outside is coming back!
And there is a strong believe among us that if we talk about a particular person with passion, u'll soon see the person in real life!
It just happened were I dey norsh
Re: Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society by flexing11(m): 6:34pm On Dec 28, 2014
dt sleep wit ur back o* d bed a*d ur face looki* 4ward u we dream bad dreams,,,,
Re: Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society by YoungIncredible: 6:35pm On Dec 28, 2014
glamm:
Register for one month intensive training in Graphics & Web Design (weekends only )
Date: Jan 10, 17, 24 and 31 (2015)
Venue:2nd Floor , Rock and Rule Suite, The Valley Mall, Plot 215 Ademola Adetokunbo Crescent, Wuse II, Abuja
Time: 10am-3:00pm
Course fee:N50,000.00 (fifty thousand naira only)
You can secure your seat by making a payment into the bank account detailed below:

Bank: Diamond:
Account Name: Peach and Pomp Services Ltd
Account Number: 0054361488

Once you make payment, Kindly send your details in the following order to 08184227903
Full Name/email address/payment reference number/phone number
Limited seats available

Just 4 weekends training for a whole 50k?.
Bros I hail oooooo. Thank God for youtube
Re: Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society by flexing11(m): 6:35pm On Dec 28, 2014
dt sleep wit ur back o* d bed a*d ur face looki* up u we dream bad dreams,,,,
Re: Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society by adexcharo(m): 6:36pm On Dec 28, 2014
jeflexy:
Common Superstitious Beliefs In Nigerian Traditional Society

Hitting your left leg on a stone
The hitting of your left leg on a stone or stump in the traditional Nigeria society is seen as an evil omen or warning to turn back from where ever the person might be going. This omen is taken seriously and the journey is usually forfeited for the future. Failure to heed the warning could lead to possibly loss of life.

Eating in the dark
Eating in the dark is forbidden in the traditional Nigerian society. It is believed that such act could give room to the dead or ghosts to eat with you and this could lead to your death or grave ailments.

Whistling at night
It is not a good idea to whistle at night in the traditional Nigerian society. There is this belief that such whistling attracts snakes to the whistler.

Lending money in the morning
If you expect the traditional Nigerian man to lend you money in the early hours of the morning or to pay up its debts, then you have got the wrong think coming. There is this strong belief in the traditional Nigerian society that giving money out in the early hours of the morning could bring a whole lot of bad luck across your way.

Eating the food of a woman seeing her messes
Perhaps this belief came from the biblical perspective that women on their monthly periods are unclean. Eating the food of women seeing their periods is generally believed to reduce sexual potency and weaken any talisman used by the male. This belief is strongly held by the traditionalists in the Nigerian society.

Owl crying on the roof of your house
Owls hooting on rooftop or on a nearby tree is a bad omen in the traditional Nigeria society as it is believed that someone in that house will soon die. In Nigerian and some other culture, owls are symbolism of witchcraft and its cries are taken with tenacity.

Your hands itching you without reason
If your hands are itching without reason, then it is believed that some kind of fortune is about to come your way. Whenever such itching occur, you see the traditional Nigeria man filled with smiles and happiness as he believes that some form of good fortune is about to come his way.

The above superstitious beliefs are just some of the beliefs that you would observe in the traditional Nigerian society.
U can add more... merry xmas by the way....

Ritual money
We copy our life style from the white men .but uptill date. I have never see them acting blood money in there movies. I don't think ritual money is real.

https://spirituality.knoji.com/common-superstitious-beliefs-in-the-nigerian-traditional-society/
Re: Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society by fluxbush(f): 6:37pm On Dec 28, 2014
airsaylongcon:

this one though...the other day i "pink" broom dey sweep for night. see as my immediate younger bro hala! this one we got from momsi. looking back i think she just wanted us to do d house chores early enuff
Nah! I doubt it. I recently did that and my dad rebuked me for it. When I asked him about the consequences, he gave me that 'look'. Nobody told me to drop the broom and go to bed. wink
Re: Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society by daxon001(m): 6:37pm On Dec 28, 2014
Hollawaley:
Placing your back by the wall when thunder is striking....trust me i'v done that many times and nufin happened
ah ah,tot it's lookin @ a mirror wen thunda strikes.so der r diff versions of dis crap.i used 2 b weary of dis very much dengrin
Re: Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society by DancingSkeleton(m): 6:54pm On Dec 28, 2014
airsaylongcon:

d day dem go konk u ehn...u go know say guyman na still boy
ur yan$h grin
Re: Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society by hismond(m): 7:11pm On Dec 28, 2014
eating by the door entrance won't make u get filled up

as children, showing ur toothless gum to a lizard won't make d teeth grow

BIG LIE!!!!

I did all these, nothing happened
Re: Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society by Lordmykel(m): 7:13pm On Dec 28, 2014
daxon001:

now dat u'v shown dat u r a student of covenant uni,wat next?undecided
covenant uni be like France....

Please i'm still in secondary school cry
Re: Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society by airsaylongcon: 7:49pm On Dec 28, 2014
Re: Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society by airsaylongcon: 7:50pm On Dec 28, 2014
Re: Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society by wildikeman(m): 7:58pm On Dec 28, 2014
kennosklint:
When bird excreet on one's head,sign of greatness
if u know how many times birds have shitt on ma head ehh infact Bill gates has got nothing on me.

1 Like

Re: Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society by wildikeman(m): 8:00pm On Dec 28, 2014
LieDetector:
when I was a kid, i was warned against drawing on the ground at night without cleaning - Ghosts will copy your drawing.
dis one na horror film...who ever told you just watched one scary movie
Re: Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society by Ilekeh(f): 8:11pm On Dec 28, 2014
None of these are from the Yoruba culture.

They sound ridiculous.
Re: Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society by Kingsimmer(m): 8:12pm On Dec 28, 2014
LieDetector:
when I was a kid, i was warned against drawing on the ground at night without cleaning - Ghosts will copy your drawing.

and paste it on social network rite? wink
Re: Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society by kennosklint(m): 8:14pm On Dec 28, 2014
wildikeman:
if u know how many times birds have shitt on ma head ehh infact Bill gates has got nothing on me.
lolz nawaoh
Re: Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society by LieDetector(m): 8:18pm On Dec 28, 2014
Kingsimmer:

and paste it on social network rite? wink
lmao grin. You just made my day.
Re: Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society by LieDetector(m): 8:19pm On Dec 28, 2014
wildikeman:
dis one na horror film...who ever told you just watched one scary movie
as a kid, you'd believe anything you're told
Re: Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society by wemmy01(m): 8:21pm On Dec 28, 2014
number 2 is real
Re: Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society by KoloOyinbo(m): 8:24pm On Dec 28, 2014
wemmy01:
number 2 is real

Ghosts eating with you?

When I was 6 I was correctly taught that only the living can hurt you not the dead!

Ghosts, ghoulies and thing that go bump in the night! LOL

Stuff to frighten silly children! I grew out of such rubbish before I was seven.
Re: Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society by fireforfire: 8:29pm On Dec 28, 2014
This is d reason y i cnt vote for Gej or GMB undecided
Re: Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society by tboyzy(m): 8:34pm On Dec 28, 2014
kennosklint:
When bird excreet on one's head,sign of greatness
Too much of MR. BONES

1 Like

Re: Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society by wemmy01(m): 8:51pm On Dec 28, 2014
KoloOyinbo:

Ghosts eating with you?

When I was 6 I was correctly taught that only the living can hurt you not the dead!

Ghosts, ghoulies and thing that go bump in the night! LOL

Stuff to frighten silly children! I grew out of such rubbish before I was seven.
Re: Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society by wemmy01(m): 8:53pm On Dec 28, 2014
Re: Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society by wemmy01(m): 8:55pm On Dec 28, 2014
KoloOyinbo:

honestly, i don't believe in ghost at all(in short dea is nothing lyk ghost, beliv it or not), but JINNS(alujonnu) are possess with staying in dark places, so eatin in dark places, dea is possibility of jinn joinin u.
also eating in dark place is stupidness, nt even seeing wat u re eating. hmmmmmmm so dangerous.
Re: Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society by KoloOyinbo(m): 9:03pm On Dec 28, 2014
wemmy01:

honestly, i don't believe in ghost at all(in short dea is nothing lyk ghost, beliv it or not), but JINNS(alujonnu) are possess with staying in dark places, so eatin in dark places, dea is possibility of jinn joinin u.
also eating in dark place is stupidness, nt even seeing wat u re eating. hmmmmmmm so dangerous.

I am not too sure what JINNS or even alujonnu are.

Perhaps they are like the mythical Arabian Genies etc etc.

If they need to eat material food then they ARE material themselves and will be easily defeated by a swift kick in the private parts. If they are not material then they don't exist! lol.
Re: Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society by InvertedHammer: 9:55pm On Dec 28, 2014
/
Goal: Become a billionaire.

Business: Importation of cars

Capital: N50k

Result: Failure!!!

Reason/Superstition: Your uncle in the village is sitting on your destiny.

\
Re: Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:11pm On Dec 28, 2014
kristisking:
Whoever believes in all these rubish is still living in the stone age.

Good. U r one of us then.

Since u believe that dead jew guy is your god.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Chuogo Okoye Slumps And Dies (Eze Ndigbo Of Agege, Lagos) / Ìkíní - Greetings In Yoruba / Ifa Doesn't Pick Yoruba Kings, Only Governors Do - Oluwo Of Iwo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.