Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,826 members, 7,820,905 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:41 AM

7 Types Of Atheists - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 7 Types Of Atheists (19302 Views)

Home Of Atheists, Freethinkers, Agnostics. / Why Are Demons Afraid Of Atheists? / What Is Your Position On Letting Your Children Play With Children Of Atheists? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by chic2pimp(m): 11:00pm On Dec 28, 2014
UyiIredia:
Nobody lynched Tai Solarin till he died and no one is lynching Seun.

Happy Birthday Bro!....... FLOREAT
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by UyiIredia(m): 11:12pm On Dec 28, 2014
chic2pimp:

Happy Birthday Bro!....... FLOREAT

Thanks.
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by chic2pimp(m): 11:20pm On Dec 28, 2014
UyiIredia:

Thanks.
No worries man.

Come make I give you your birthday"Massing" or say nah writing "Ewa" you prefer?
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by sufido123: 1:10am On Dec 29, 2014
datguru:
It is quite disheartening, pitiable, sardonic and baffling how some specie of homo sapiens would retort to doubting the existence of the GREAT GOD. Its better you live as if there is God, even if you die and there's no God you have NOTHING to lose

This is the classic pascal wager that has been discredited. For this doctrine to be correct, you have to be able to pick the correct God to worship. So what are the odds? Like 1:10 million at least.

It is false to say that you have nothing to lose because all the time used for worshipping the imaginary God could be productive in helping you and mankind. Furthermore, all the tithe and offerings are money wasted. Moreover, you cannot say that religion costs nothing.

Tell that to those who have been killed by boko haram and other jihadists. How about the victims of christian crusades of years of yore? In fact, right now religion has become a danger to the world. Thus, it has cost the world a lot.

It seems to me that no meaningful distinction exists between getting the God wrong but believing in something and getting the God wrong but not believing in anything.

5 Likes

Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by texanomaly(f): 2:21am On Dec 29, 2014
UyiIredia:

Thanks.

It's your birthday Iredia? I thought I had you in my calendar.

Well happy birthday. I miss you.
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by HAZAZEL: 4:40am On Dec 29, 2014
biafranqueen:
When I was first learning before I evolved, I was given a copy of Bullinger's Companion Bible in KJV. This will help you know the meaning of the words used from the original language.

Back to my friend HAZAZEL if you take time you will find that, Adam was not created before mankind. The translators of the KJV rendered the word in Gen 1:26 to say "man", but the original language really states "mankind". In Gen 2:7, God created "the man Adam" which is a different word in the original language. In order to really understand what God is saying, you cannot depend on arguing the KJV by itself.
Another examples are - Satan in the Garden was not a snake and not a literal serpent. The definition in the original language of the word used is "Shiny one" - not snake. Anyway, this is how I started my journey to Universal truth, your on the right path my friend keep studying. Keep questioning, keep praying for understanding and break through.

Thanks. How do I get this bullingers kjv?
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by Oduduwaboy(m): 4:54am On Dec 29, 2014
sinequanon:

Wrong.

The fact that you are ranting is evidence of what I described. You don't live off the courage of your convictions. You are continually worrying about and fighting over theist's convictions in an attempt to reassert your own flaky "conviction".
Much more ridiculous assertion!
Atheists only worry about the state of our specie and what to pass on to the coming generation.We dont give a rat-ass about a non-existent god and the wishful afterlife.
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by Oduduwaboy(m): 5:03am On Dec 29, 2014
manmustwac:
and they complain about us when we post on their topics
Imagine. The OP made it clear from the beginning that this was for atheists in their different hues and before i could spell ATHEISTS, the zealots were on the thread trying to define atheism for atheists. How funny can the religious be?
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by logoscope(m): 8:16am On Dec 29, 2014
manmustwac:
Listen dude. There are 250 million sperm cells in each ejaculation. So lets say if it takes a man up to 12 ejaculations to fertilize the egg (that is to get a woman pregnant) that will be 3 billion sperm cells wasted in the process. Which means at that ratio you and me got here on the odds of 3 billion to 1. Now that is if it only takes up to 12 ejaculations it dose take some men more. Now consider the population of nigeria 170 million, the USA 300 million, the UK 60 million, that is just about up to 2 ejaculations. So as far as am concerned we got here by chance and you and i are living proof of that wink
So you are comparing God with with the sperm cells who created the sperms cells? I also believe you don't believe in witches, wizards and demons who propagate evil. Bye. btw don't bother quote me.
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by Ultimus: 1:26pm On Dec 29, 2014
I kind of fall in the category of the rogue atheist. If you're a Nigerian atheist, you really can't help it. It would seem there is a direct relationship between our increasing religiosity in this country and the decadence in our society.
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by SpencerLewis(m): 2:18pm On Dec 29, 2014
kennygee:
11th Commandment, thou shall not argue with an atheist.
12th commandment, thou shall not die of ignorance and beliefs that u can't prove. U just believe simply b/c people b4 u believed in it or it was written in a 'holy book'. Obviously, u can't defend ur beliefs other than it is written in so so so...............
Ignorance is the true original sin and b/c of it many are morally bankrupted and will not recognize the goldmine in them.
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by SpencerLewis(m): 2:20pm On Dec 29, 2014
claremont:
The rogue.

The root cause of most of the problems in this world can be traced to a crazed belief in a deity.
Yes oooooooooo. However, humanity has always believe in a deity. But what baffles me most is why out of ignorance some people believe in other people's deity more than their just b/c it is written in so so so and so 'holy books'
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by oluamid(m): 8:12am On Dec 30, 2014
Mcowubaba:
Christainity is the only Religion which explains the Begining, present and Future of the World..
Many Atheist challenge christianity based on 'logical reasoning', 'Scientific Evidence' nd Believe me=Christianity can never be understood by the above stated Factors, yes with 'Human understanding'(whic Atheist nd even 'shallow rooted CHRISTAINS' hav) u will feel that there R some Unanswered Questions in the BIBLE= which is funny enough the Reference point of most Atheist and All Christains..Atheist, muslims, Christians, budahist e.t.c= u cant Understand the God tru Logic, Science, Nature,...only tru the Holyspirit the Almighty will Reveal HIMSELF ie the Word of God (nt all=just want you need to Survive in the World) to you through various chanels (pastors, Bible, Nairaland, LIB e.t.c)..if any1 knws the ways GOD he seizes to be GOD=whic is IMpossible..
Atheist beware...accept JESUS as you Lord nd Saviour...u guys hav already read alot about him (Atheist read nd knw the Bible more than most 'so called Christains'), all u need now is just Understanding cos witout divine understanding, the Bible, Christian books, e.t.c will just look like a James hardy chase novel..
Sorry for d long text nd any Typo...God bless u

What's the essence of a religion where simple minded individuals are not expected to understand the scriptures? Exactly the same argument the church used to hold the people in thrall during the medieval ages, don't you think? Funny enough, this is the exact same reason pastors have a cult-like following. They have "superior minds" and are therefore closer to God than the average believer or atheist.
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by oluamid(m): 8:23am On Dec 30, 2014
logoscope:
Do u mean this whole complex system came in existence by chance? The probability of this system coming together by chance is so infinity small that it would require a miracle. Take 10 cards numbered 1-10 and try by chance when its going to line up numerical i.e 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10. Then take 100 cards, 1000 cards. If you understand maths you could just calculate it. BTW God is my father, he loves me so much and I also do love Him very much. He gave the blood of His Son Jesus as ransom for my sins and the Holy Spirit as my guide.

Good logic. But the same logic can be applied to God your "loving father".

Riddle me this: if there was no Bible or the British slave loving missionaries or colonialists didn't come to Nigeria, do you think you will have this same conviction regarding your "Father"?
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by Nobody: 9:43am On Dec 30, 2014
davidylan:
lol most of the atheists here claiming to be "seekers" are in all reality wafflers. They are not "deep thinkers" of any kind (real deep thinkers would have long spotted the illogical nature of the theory of evolution) but are insecure folks seeking (pun intended) to assuage their fear with pseudoscience.

Not that I so much believe in the evolution, but can you tell me this, since you're talking about what's logical:

What's logical about a talking snake?

What's logical about the division of a sea by a wand?

What's logical about a talking donkey?

What's logical about the sun standing still?

I mean, these things don't even happen, yet they want us to believe it happened in the past cos a book said so.
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by Nobody: 10:38am On Dec 30, 2014
masonkz:

Not that I so much believe in the evolution, but can you tell me this, since you're talking about what's logical:

What's logical about a talking snake?

What's logical about the division of a sea by a wand?

What's logical about a talking donkey?

What's logical about the sun standing still?

I mean, these things don't even happen, yet they want us to believe it happened in the past cos a book said so.

evolution and the big bang didnt happen either, and you believe it. What's good for the goose my friend.
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by Nobody: 11:59am On Dec 30, 2014
davidylan:

evolution and the big bang didnt happen either, and you believe it. What's good for the goose my friend.

I don't believe in a big bang theory, although even that seems plausible than a talking snake. I mean, doesn't that sound like what you see in a child's story book?

Oh well
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by sinequanon: 12:00pm On Dec 30, 2014
masonkz:

Pity yourself first undecided

The white man brought to you the knowledge of their God, and you took it hook, line and sinker just cos they could cure your diseases with their drugs that your forefathers had never seen.

If the Chinese had colonised you, you sure as hell wouldn't be calling on that God of yours.

Our biggest issue is religion.

Do you have examples of these drugs and evidence that they encouraged people to accept European religion?
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by Nobody: 12:03pm On Dec 30, 2014
sinequanon:

Do you have examples of these drugs and evidence that they encouraged people to accept European religion?

Do you have a better evidence as to why our forefathers accepted Christianity and Islam?

or better still, find out what missionaries do when they go into remote territories with no access to good water, drugs, electricity et al.
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by sinequanon: 12:25pm On Dec 30, 2014
masonkz:

Do you have a better evidence as to why our forefathers accepted Christianity and Islam?

or better still, find out what missionaries do when they go into remote territories with no access to good water, drugs, electricity et al.

Just answer the question.

I asked because I was interested in the possibility.

Your mode of rhetorical questions and defensive answers now suggests that you are just spouting.

My own belief is that, when Christianity was introduced, many Africans fled oppressive, fearsome and ugly elements of their own religion.

Abrahamic religions were a more subtle, tempered form of terrorism, with an offer of a "glorious heaven" or a hell (stick AND CARROT) somewhat more remote than the immediacy of juju etc. Also, the Europeans were not dropping dead from the juju (lol), so this was even more of an incentive for Africans to escape the oppressive elements of their own religions.

Essentially, Christianity arrived with what many saw as a message of hope, but it was spiked with the terrorism of hell fire.
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by Mcowubaba: 12:30pm On Dec 30, 2014
oluamid:

What's the essence of a religion where simple minded individuals are not expected to understand the scriptures? Exactly the same argument the church used to hold the people in thrall during the medieval ages, don't you think? Funny enough, this is the exact same reason pastors have a cult-like following. They have "superior minds" and are therefore closer to God than the average believer or atheist.
dnt knw wat u mean by Simple minded individuals...Christianity requires deep conviction nd dedication to God..u have to be deep rooted to live a christian life, Christianity is an Action Verb nt a noun..the bible said we should worship God in Spirit nd in Truth..anybody can be Close to God..once u open ur heart nd accept Him fully, His spirit will deal in you nd make u greater than others..its Biblical...as a Christian u hav the Privilege to be a Greater being..my broda pls accept Jesus christ fully...u will neva regret it..
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by Nobody: 4:07pm On Dec 30, 2014
masonkz:

I don't believe in a big bang theory, although even that seems plausible than a talking snake. I mean, doesn't that sound like what you see in a child's story book?

Oh well

how is it anymore plausible even though you dont believe it? You seem to be tying yourself in knots
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by Nobody: 4:23pm On Dec 30, 2014
davidylan:

how is it anymore plausible even though you dont believe it? You seem to be tying yourself in knots

Ok. Scratch that part. grin

Sha answer me tongue
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by Nobody: 4:24pm On Dec 30, 2014
sinequanon:

Just answer the question.

I asked because I was interested in the possibility.

Your mode of rhetorical questions and defensive answers now suggests that you are just spouting.

My own belief is that, when Christianity was introduced, many Africans fled oppressive, fearsome and ugly elements of their own religion.

Abrahamic religions were a more subtle, tempered form of terrorism, with an offer of a "glorious heaven" or a hell (stick AND CARROT) somewhat more remote than the immediacy of juju etc. Also, the Europeans were not dropping dead from the juju (lol), so this was even more of an incentive for Africans to escape the oppressive elements of their own religions.

Essentially, Christianity arrived with what many saw as a message of hope, but it was spiked with the terrorism of hell fire.

My bad. Thought you were attacking my post.
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by Nobody: 5:01pm On Dec 30, 2014
masonkz:

Ok. Scratch that part. grin

Sha answer me tongue

why? Answer me too... why is the big bang plausible at all?
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by 1ord: 4:28am On Dec 31, 2014
Vadel:
this is the best post I've ever come across on nairaland since I joined. To put things straight, am a humanist....a religious humanist.
the best comment so far on this thread

2 Likes

Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by oluamid(m): 8:35am On Dec 31, 2014
Mcowubaba:
dnt knw wat u mean by Simple minded individuals...Christianity requires deep conviction nd dedication to God..u have to be deep rooted to live a christian life, Christianity is an Action Verb nt a noun..the bible said we should worship God in Spirit nd in Truth..anybody can be Close to God..once u open ur heart nd accept Him fully, His spirit will deal in you nd make u greater than others..its Biblical...as a Christian u hav the Privilege to be a Greater being..my broda pls accept Jesus christ fully...u will neva regret it..

Lmao! You are preaching to the wrong person. And you actually didn't say anything about the issues. Why is it that you are not expected to understand the Bible except by "divine enlightenment"?
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by Nobody: 1:03pm On Dec 31, 2014
asalimpo:

you are so spot on.
Fear of hell makes some ppl flee God rather than flee to Him.

Does that even make sense to you, if we feared hell we would all be following your religions.

1 Like

Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by khiaa(f): 7:28am On Jan 01, 2015
ggodd:
The bible say humans r made in the image of god and likeness. So I'm asking what about the muderers? The whores? The thieves? The ritualists? Devil? Are they also made in the image of god too? Or is the fake book tellin lies?

I believe it means physically, but God doesn't control the heart he loves us so much that he gave us humans the free will to think for ourselves, so those who are choosing the wrong path in life is choosing of their own free will.
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by Mcowubaba: 11:12am On Jan 01, 2015
oluamid:

Lmao! You are preaching to the wrong person. And you actually didn't say anything about the issues. Why is it that you are not expected to understand the Bible except by "divine enlightenment"?
So u R a Believer??..gud..the Bible is a divine book, it is nt an Ordinary book..it needs divine understanding to grasp the content..if nt it will be misinterpreted- which is very common..person go do mumu tin tell u say eh dey Bible..it is nt a novel or atlas or text book....dats why it is called -"SCRIPTURE" check d meaning..it is nt 4 mere human understanding....
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by kolajamesjnr(m): 12:06pm On May 27, 2015
The rogue
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by Weah96: 1:17pm On May 28, 2015
Mcowubaba:
SCRIPTURE" check d meaning.[size=15pt].it is nt 4 mere human understanding....[/size]

This is foolish arrogance not humility. A book that is beyond human understanding. LOL. Was the book written by aliens or autistic RAIN MAN looking people?

Tell that to your children. Tell them there is a book, written by humans, that requires them to suspend their intellectual resources.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

80-year-old Woman Gets A Car From Iginla (photos) / Pastor Ephraim Ononye: "I Healed A Mad Man On My Way To Onitsha" (Photos) / Church Sign Has A Message For Homophobic Christians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.