Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,740 members, 7,824,131 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:56 PM

Can One Change His Intonation - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Can One Change His Intonation (705 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can One Change His Intonation by HOPE4W: 7:56pm On Dec 28, 2014
Hi guys, I lived in a town that has a very strong intonation and very local. Have left the town now for the past ten years, but the intonation wouldn't just go. Have felt embarrased times without number as result of this local intonation as people easily notice it when I speak. Though I maintain my self esteem most time and I don't get intimidated, but you know sometimes it can be funny. I take it as my identity and true person. Have lived in lagos after I left the town. The recent issue that got me worried is about a lady that someone connected me with who is outside the country. We have spoken at length online and we got along very well. But in one of our chat, she told me she doesn't like Nigerian guys with intonation, I knew that would be problem. So yesterday, we finally spoke on phone, I intentionally didn't fake any accent cause I don't believe in hiding my identity. When we later chat, she told me categorically that as much as she loves me, she hate my intonation. I felt kinda embarrassed. I don't give a shit about her, but I just felt strongly that I need to do something about the accent of a thing. I went to polytechnic, and now a finalist in University. I will soon become a graduate, is this how I will be going about with it, especially when I ll be going about meeting people after I graduate?
Re: Can One Change His Intonation by bigfrancis21: 9:54pm On Dec 28, 2014
HOPE4W:
Hi guys, I lived in a town that has a very strong intonation and very local. Have left the town now for the past ten years, but the intonation wouldn't just go. Have felt embarrased times without number as result of this local intonation as people easily notice it when I speak. Though I maintain my self esteem most time and I don't get intimidated, but you know sometimes it can be funny. I take it as my identity and true person. Have lived in lagos after I left the town. The recent issue that got me worried is about a lady that someone connected me with who is outside the country. We have spoken at length online and we got along very well. But in one of our chat, she told me she doesn't like Nigerian guys with intonation, I knew that would be problem. So yesterday, we finally spoke on phone, I intentionally didn't fake any accent cause I don't believe in hiding my identity. When we later chat, she told me categorically that as much as she loves me, she hate my intonation. I felt kinda embarrassed. I don't give a shit about her, but I just felt strongly that I need to do something about the accent of a thing. I went to polytechnic, and now a finalist in University. I will soon become a graduate, is this how I will be going about with it, especially when I ll be going about meeting people after I graduate?

You can, by making conscious efforts at changing the way some words are pronounced. Where in Nigeria are you from?
Re: Can One Change His Intonation by tpia01: 10:20pm On Dec 28, 2014
she told me she doesn't like Nigerian guys with intonation

and you are still chasing her after she gave you this clear warning?
Re: Can One Change His Intonation by Olanireti(m): 12:50am On Dec 29, 2014
bigfrancis21:

You can, by making conscious efforts at changing the way some words are pronounced. Where in Nigeria are you from?
ogun, osun, ondo, ekiti and oyo have some strange,funny and strong intonation. It ll one of them
Re: Can One Change His Intonation by Olanireti(m): 12:52am On Dec 29, 2014
tpia01:

and you are still chasing her after she gave you this clear warning?
there could be more dan dat

(1) (Reply)

Is It Wrong To Ask How Was Your Night? / Representing Nairaland In Ile-ife At Ooni And Queen Wuraola's Wedding (pictures / Who Placed Your Community Honor In A Vagina?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.