Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,850 members, 7,810,279 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:36 AM

DIY: Replacement Of Transmission Filter, 03-07 Accord 4cyl - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / DIY: Replacement Of Transmission Filter, 03-07 Accord 4cyl (5769 Views)

DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl / DIY Replacement Of VTEC Solenoid Spool Valve Filter (03-07 Accord) / What Kind Of Transmission Fluid (ATF) Should I Use? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

DIY: Replacement Of Transmission Filter, 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 11:25am On Dec 29, 2014
Finally had time to do this This Yule (actually doing a lot piled up DIYs). I remember running for months with an improperly covered transmission dipstick earlier when I got this ride, that added more reason for me to do this...

Materials:
1. 10" wrench
2. New transmissions filter (P/N: 25430-PLR-003, got the OEM)
3. NOSE pliers
4. Rag

1 Like

Re: DIY: Replacement Of Transmission Filter, 03-07 Accord 4cyl by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:28am On Dec 29, 2014
smileyFollowing
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Transmission Filter, 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 11:30am On Dec 29, 2014
GAZZUZZ:
smileyFollowing

Thanks Boss, welcome.
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Transmission Filter, 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 11:34am On Dec 29, 2014
The replacement part. I should note at this point that this model features an external filter. So,no need to bring down the transmission pan.

Re: DIY: Replacement Of Transmission Filter, 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 11:39am On Dec 29, 2014
Location of the transmission filter...This can be found if you look downward from the driver's side below the engine fuse box.

See pix below.

I recommend taking out the engine airbox, both the upper and lower halves, and removing the 2 bolts holding the fuse box. This would give you more room to take out the filter

Re: DIY: Replacement Of Transmission Filter, 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 11:45am On Dec 29, 2014
Again you do not need to drain ATF to do this, the spill is minimal and can be caught by a shop rag.
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Transmission Filter, 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 11:50am On Dec 29, 2014
To continue, loosen the 10" bolt holding the transmission filter bracket. Bolt is already removed in the 1st pix. Bracket out in 2nd pix

Re: DIY: Replacement Of Transmission Filter, 03-07 Accord 4cyl by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:54am On Dec 29, 2014
Pike please look at the pictures I hope you considered the direction of the new filter?
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Transmission Filter, 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 12:25pm On Dec 29, 2014
The hardest part of this venture was loosening the 3-prong clamps at the end of the hoses. What worked was placing the nose pliers as if it would pass through the filter. This enabled it to grip all 3 prongs.

With the clamps off, place a shop rag beneath the filter and wiggle each end of the filter side to side to break the seal and remove the filter.

NB: Before removing the filter note it's direction.

2 Likes

Re: DIY: Replacement Of Transmission Filter, 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 12:30pm On Dec 29, 2014
GAZZUZZ:
Pike please look at the pictures I hope you considered the direction of the new filter?

Thanks Gazz, I sure did and at one point had to make a reference to these pix which I took earlier for making this thread smiley
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Transmission Filter, 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Nobody: 5:37pm On Dec 29, 2014
im confused o...is that the transmission filter? that roundish metal thing?
im used to bmw and the likes...
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Transmission Filter, 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 6:24pm On Dec 29, 2014
Resuming...Finally, fit in the new filter and follow the previous steps in reverse to put things back together. pix shows the new filter in place

Re: DIY: Replacement Of Transmission Filter, 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 6:25pm On Dec 29, 2014
adeniyisavage:
im confused o...is that the transmission filter? that roundish metal thing?
im used to bmw and the likes...

exactly, the round black thing with hoses at both ends.
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Transmission Filter, 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Nobody: 7:14pm On Dec 29, 2014
Pic #1 Needle Nose Pliers

Pic #2 Regular Pliers

Regular, not needle nose pliers is the proper tool for those clamps.

Not sure why manufacturers resorted to putting filters inside the transmission.

Good job

2 Likes

Re: DIY: Replacement Of Transmission Filter, 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 7:54pm On Dec 29, 2014
CityNG:
Pic #1 Needle Nose Pliers

Pic #2 Regular Pliers

Regular, not needle nose pliers is the proper tool for those clamps.

Not sure why manufacturers resorted to putting filters inside the transmission.

Good job

Thanks CityNG. Been following Tessie silently and learning a lot...

I actually tried the regular pliers but the business end was not just wide enough to get all 3 prongs. Maybe extra large pliers will do, but the needle nose ones worked just fine when positioned as described though.
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Transmission Filter, 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Nobody: 9:22pm On Dec 29, 2014
Piyke:

Thanks CityNG. Been following Tessie silently and learning a lot...

I actually tried the regular pliers but the business end was not just wide enough to get all 3 prongs. Maybe extra large pliers will do, but the needle nose ones worked just fine when positioned as described though.

I know what you mean.

I bought one like this for this situation.

2 Likes

Re: DIY: Replacement Of Transmission Filter, 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 9:05am On Dec 30, 2014
CityNG:

I know what you mean.

I bought one like this for this situation.

Yea. This looks built for the job, will look for it. Certainly.

1 Like

Re: DIY: Replacement Of Transmission Filter, 03-07 Accord 4cyl by iykmon: 1:42am On Mar 06, 2015
piyke
please how much is this filter in Nigeria market?. thanks a lot I never knew there was such thing externally. I asked my mechanic when I first bought my 2005 accord , and he said it is internal filter.
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Transmission Filter, 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 11:46am On Mar 07, 2015
iykmon:
piyke
please how much is this filter in Nigeria market?. thanks a lot I never knew there was such thing externally. I asked my mechanic when I first bought my 2005 accord , and he said it is internal filter.

I don't know the price in Naija market o, it shouldn't be expensive. I try to do brand new OEM on sensitive systems such as the transmission. So in such cases I get from abroad
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Transmission Filter, 03-07 Accord 4cyl by sultaan(m): 9:56pm On Mar 07, 2015
Honda transmission don't usually have internal filter, there is a screen but it make service a lot easier to drain and refill I didn't even know they have inline filter till now.

Compared to so American manufacturers that don't even have drain plugs so you have to remove the pan filled with oil while under the car those system guarantee business for dealers some don't even have dipsticks so you can't check color and level just take it to dealer as scheduled which is whty those brands died out in the third world; American,VW,Benz,BMW
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Transmission Filter, 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 11:51am On Mar 08, 2015
sultaan:
Honda transmission don't usually have internal filter, there is a screen but it make service a lot easier to drain and refill I didn't even know they have inline filter till now.

Compared to so American manufacturers that don't even have drain plugs so you have to remove the pan filled with oil while under the car those system guarantee business for dealers some don't even have dipsticks so you can't check color and level just take it to dealer as scheduled which is whty those brands died out in the third world; American,VW,Benz,BMW

shocked shocked shocked Never knew they were brands featuring the bold. Most amazing angry

1 Like

Re: DIY: Replacement Of Transmission Filter, 03-07 Accord 4cyl by dcole73: 7:48pm On Dec 24, 2019
General Piyke,

Are you based in Lagos?
Will like to see you and get my oil leaks resolved.

VTC strainer, VTC solenoid o-ring, VTEC solenoid gasket/filter and pressure switch o-ring.

'05 Accord.
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Transmission Filter, 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 5:03pm On Dec 25, 2019
dcole73:
General Piyke,

Are you based in Lagos?
Will like to see you and get my oil leaks resolved.

VTC strainer, VTC solenoid o-ring, VTEC solenoid gasket/filter and pressure switch o-ring.

'05 Accord.

Lol at general.

Not based in Lagos! Easy fixes by any genuine tech.

1 Like

Re: DIY: Replacement Of Transmission Filter, 03-07 Accord 4cyl by dcole73: 11:46am On Apr 11, 2020
Piyke:

Lol at general.

Not based in Lagos! Easy fixes by any genuine tech.

Thanks Piyke
I got them replaced in January.

Next mission will be to replace this transmission filter. Problem is sourcing it.
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Transmission Filter, 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Macmilla(m): 8:42am On Jan 14
Piyke:
Finally had time to do this This Yule (actually doing a lot piled up DIYs). I remember running for months with an improperly covered transmission dipstick earlier when I got this ride, that added more reason for me to do this...

Materials:
1. 10" wrench
2. New transmissions filter (P/N: 25430-PLR-003, got the OEM)
3. NOSE pliers
4. Rag
Old post, but I have a question.
Are you saying there's no internal filter on this car?
I'm having an issue with mine and the technician says they will drop the gearbox, tear it apart, so they can change the filter. I'm not understanding.
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Transmission Filter, 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 8:42pm On Jan 14
Macmilla:

Old post, but I have a question.
Are you saying there's no internal filter on this car?
I'm having an issue with mine and the technician says they will drop the gearbox, tear it apart, so they can change the filter. I'm not understanding.

I'm not sure. I never took my transmission pan off.
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Transmission Filter, 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Macmilla(m): 7:01am On Jan 15
Piyke:

I'm not sure. I never took my transmission pan off.
So did the replacement fix any problems for you?
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Transmission Filter, 03-07 Accord 4cyl by cardoctor(m): 8:39am On Jan 15
I would still recommend a professional to handle this job if not it may easily become messy. It shouldn't cost much on labour but remember to drain and refill the tranny fluid with the recommended spec.
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Transmission Filter, 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 1:12pm On Jan 15
Macmilla:

So did the replacement fix any problems for you?

It was preventive
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Transmission Filter, 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Conner44: 10:29pm On Jan 15
cardoctor:
I would still recommend a professional to handle this job if not it may easily become messy. It shouldn't cost much on labour but remember to drain and refill the tranny fluid with the recommended spec.

It is a rather straightforward job for a DIY enthusiast.

1. Remove battery
2. Remove battery tray
3. Remove intake air filter box
4. Remove single bolt holding transmission filter bracket
4. Use angled needle nose plier to take off front and back transmission filter clips
4. Remove transmission filter

Reverse steps to replace and voilĂ  . . . All done. Time 3 hrs tops (with beer break in-between) wink
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Transmission Filter, 03-07 Accord 4cyl by kelvinmnet(m): 3:03pm On Apr 17
Piyke:
The replacement part. I should note at this point that this model features an external filter. So,no need to bring down the transmission pan.

Old post though but where can I get this filter?
Most mechanics always say the filter is inside the transmission.
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Transmission Filter, 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 3:42pm On Apr 17
kelvinmnet:

Old post though but where can I get this filter?
Most mechanics always say the filter is inside the transmission.

Depends on the car. Though most and I think this one too has an internal filter in addition to the external one. I got OEM from Amazon or hondapartsnow.com I believe. New Chinese ones are sold in the local car parts markets

(1) (2) (Reply)

Advice Needed Pls: On BMW X5 (2002) / Her Car Got Completely Burnt Overnight, What Could Be The Reason? (photos) / Clean Used Toyota Matrix 2006 @ Give Away Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.