Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,286 members, 7,836,264 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:19 AM

Mother Tongue-Why Is The Letter "R" And "L" A Problem For Anambra Guys? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Mother Tongue-Why Is The Letter "R" And "L" A Problem For Anambra Guys? (1405 Views)

How Do You Call “christmas“ In Your Native Tongue? / Letter R/r Victim / Decline of Mother Tongue; Causes and Consequences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Mother Tongue-Why Is The Letter "R" And "L" A Problem For Anambra Guys? by olaric(m): 12:24pm On Dec 29, 2014
I am not trying to make mockery of Anambra people, but I am just curious to know why pronouncing the "R" and "L" letters is such a huge mountain for them? For example: Ragos instead of Lagos, Lice instead of Rice, Lomance instead of Romance, etc. The same thing goes for the Ijaws and some parts of Yoruba and the North. These tribes battle hard to pronounce certain letters. Is it too difficult to overcome certain things because of our mother tongue?
Re: Mother Tongue-Why Is The Letter "R" And "L" A Problem For Anambra Guys? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Dec 29, 2014
olaric:
I am not trying to make mockery of Anambra people, but I am just curious to know why pronouncing the "R" and "L" letters is such a huge mountain for them? For example: Ragos instead of Lagos, Lice instead of Rice, Lomance instead of Romance, etc. The same thing goes for the Ijaws and some parts of Yoruba and the North. These tribes battle hard to pronounce certain letters. Is it too difficult to overcome certain things because of our mother tongue?

yorubas: macinery instead of machinery.
hausas: pipe instead of five.

ur opinion??
Re: Mother Tongue-Why Is The Letter "R" And "L" A Problem For Anambra Guys? by olaric(m): 1:02pm On Dec 29, 2014
NOBLEDANDY:

yorubas: macinery instead of machinery.
hausas: pipe instead of five.

ur opinion??
Even some professors struggle with these things

(1) (Reply)

Do Nairalanders Get Any Reward For Hitting FP And Being FTC? / General Yakubu Gowon In 1973 Shaking Hands With Baby Justin Trudeau / Dance With Peter Season 1 Episode 12

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.