Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,809 members, 7,827,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:33 PM

Mode Nine's Paradigm Shift: A Critical Review - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Mode Nine's Paradigm Shift: A Critical Review (5778 Views)

“i’m Not Hungry But I’m Not Very Comfortable” – Mode Nine / Critical Review Of Sound Sultan's "NATURAL SOMETHING". / Why Mode Nine Is Broke (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mode Nine's Paradigm Shift: A Critical Review by Bamsyle(m): 9:25am On Dec 29, 2008
semid4lyfe:

I'm also happy he didn't feature rap artists on any track on this album because they've always managed to eclipse him although he's better lyrically as they still sound better than him on the beat.

You've identified the exact area in which Mode needs to step up his game - Delivery (has something to do with flows, voice, rhythm and such other related elements). He's one of the best lyricists I've come across but his delivery needs to be worked on.

One rapper I'll always recommend to any aspiring rapper is Biggie. Even if this dude yawns and whistles on a track, the delivery'll still be hot.

The delivery of a message is as important as the message itself.
Re: Mode Nine's Paradigm Shift: A Critical Review by DBR: 3:21pm On Dec 29, 2008
chrisical:

I have listened to the album.Huh same mode 9 but this time there were deeper lyrics but apart from 'TALKING TO YOU 'and 'DEATH BLOW', the tempo was generally low.Kind of disjointed and lacking a bit of spark. I don't want to discredit this album because it ain't an easy feat to release a rap album. Anyway good one from him.AGAIN most of his chorouses were below-par.

@
chrisical
i'v also followed M9 from same time as u, but PS to me is his best effort.
PS is the most ear friendly of his works and he still kept the lyrics tite.
I'm shocked at 2 things u said:
1-ur list of tracks dat'l make it form PS
2-Ur inclusion of Africa which ft 2face, personally i hate dat song.
it doesnt reflect the calibre of d 2 artiste. Both of 'em r beta than that track.
PS has the best hooks too, so im suprised at watya said too, but anyway it's opinion.
How will u not add my skin is black, Nine, Spartan, Bigboy Rap to the list
Those r fiyah tracks.
His delivery was also varied on PS, im like those teachers not a generous with marks
but i'l give PS a 75% or rather i'll just call it d 1st 9ja Hiphop classic album.
oNe
Re: Mode Nine's Paradigm Shift: A Critical Review by legovo(m): 5:25pm On Dec 29, 2008
You've got intelect myophia,
if you heard i diss your BABA,
it's not ethiopia !
hmmmmmm,
Re: Mode Nine's Paradigm Shift: A Critical Review by Chukky77: 7:35am On Dec 31, 2008
Hi bamstyle.

good to see fellow modenine fans showing love. but a point of correction. you got something really wrong. at the end of spazmodic modenine doesnt tell us to expect a commercial album. he was playing with words.

he said "the next albums going to be a comeercial, break, get it? commercial break" it means a break from the commercial. so he wasnt promising a commercial album rather he was promising a hardcore album.

just wanted to point that out

1 Like

Re: Mode Nine's Paradigm Shift: A Critical Review by tosinadeda: 8:05am On Dec 31, 2008
Chukky77:

Hi bamstyle.

good to see fellow modenine fans showing love. but a point of correction. you got something really wrong. at the end of spazmodic modenine doesnt tell us to expect a commercial album. he was playing with words.

he said "the next albums going to be a comeercial, break, get it? commercial break" it means a break from the commercial. so he wasnt promising a commercial album rather he was promising a hardcore album.

if thats really wut he meant, did he av to tell us
i disagree with you jare
Re: Mode Nine's Paradigm Shift: A Critical Review by Bamsyle(m): 12:00pm On Dec 31, 2008
Chukky77:

Hi bamstyle.

Bams[b]t[/b]yle? Hmm. . . nice name you gave me there. . .

I agree Mode was playing with words. But "commercial break" that he said was not "a break from the commercial". He was codedly telling us to expect something commercial and radio-friendly from him as his next album. You know Mode has a way of playing with words. . .

When radio/TV stations take a break during transmission to air adverts, jingles et al, they refer to it as "Commercial Break". That time, they broadcast adverts to make profit, hence the word "commercial".

However, in Nigerian Music parlance, when you say a song/album is commercial, it immediately connotes its radio-worthiness, its mainstream appeal, atimes its ability/potential to become a hit and generate income. Not an underground stuff.

Mode surely said it in a sarcastic/ironical/satirical manner. You could even hear him laugh whilst he said it. Terry also added a sarcastic tone to it. But he actually meant a commercial album , definitely not to the extreme of including fuji, juju, etc. Definitely not that it would be a total, absolute, complete deviation from his signature style. Just a slight deviation from his usual underground/hardcore style.

That's why he called it a break. Besides, he had always been doing it the hardcore way. So why would he need a break to release a hardcore album anyway? (I think that was what Tosin was saying there).

You would agree that the album he referred to (E Pluribus Unum) had some 'commercial' songs. "Ogun Isoye" and "Nigerian Girls" are examples of this. Before that album, Mode had never released songs with such a concept or commercial touch.

Me a fan of Mode 9? Hehehe, I'm just a listener. He's got good lyrics anyway. But I think the likes of Javalove, Khanye and Olayokun fit better into that description. . . cheesy
Re: Mode Nine's Paradigm Shift: A Critical Review by khanye(m): 12:20pm On Dec 31, 2008
[quote author =Bamsyle link=topic=206797.msg3289456#msg3289456 date=1230721244

Mode surely said it in a sarcastic/ironical/satirical manner. You could even hear him laugh whilst he said it.

You would agree that the album he referred to (E Pluribus Unum) had some 'commercial' songs. "Ogun Isoye" and "Nigerian Girls" are examples of this. Before that album, Mode had never released songs with such a concept or commercial touch.

Me a fan of Mode 9? Hehehe, I'm just a listener. He's got good lyrics anyway. But I think the likes of Javalove, Khanye and Olayokun fit better into that description. . . cheesy
[quote][/quote]

E Pluribus Unum also got tracks Like Cry, Lagos State of Mind (the beat was a sample from one of Nicole Ngaba's Song) in it.

oNe
Re: Mode Nine's Paradigm Shift: A Critical Review by Nobody: 5:05pm On Dec 31, 2008
Bamsyle:

Am not just a Mode Fan,Am MODE ADDICT.
Re: Mode Nine's Paradigm Shift: A Critical Review by khanye(m): 5:56pm On Dec 31, 2008
olayokun:

Am not just a Mode Fan, Am MODE ADDICT.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Mode Nine's Paradigm Shift: A Critical Review by javalove(m): 8:48pm On Dec 31, 2008
i think i'm more addict than anyone on this board to modenine
Re: Mode Nine's Paradigm Shift: A Critical Review by tosinadeda: 8:52pm On Dec 31, 2008
javalove:

i think i'm more addict than anyone on this board to modenine

no o!!!
u live on his d!%k
Re: Mode Nine's Paradigm Shift: A Critical Review by skingo(m): 9:57pm On Dec 31, 2008
he is moeniine. pitiful monkey. why u no go buy him cd bless am wit ur money everyday so he can be motivated. that guy is about to quit the industry
Re: Mode Nine's Paradigm Shift: A Critical Review by Nobody: 7:01pm On Jan 01, 2009
Yeah Yeah.we know who u are.
Ode.E konsign u?.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dj Nonny Old Sch Reggae Mix For Reggae Lovers / Who Is Klever Jay ? / DOWNLOAD MP3: Chidinma – Love Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.