Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,649 members, 7,809,453 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:55 AM

Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? (5073 Views)

They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? / Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? / Now Employed, 1st Class Graduate Spends First Wage On Billboard To Say Thanks! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by fryo4life(m): 1:42pm On Dec 30, 2014
I have a friend who had a first class in Accounting from a reputable university. I saw him yesterday and asked him if he has got a job after a year of finishing nysc. Surprising, he told me he is still jobless and job hunting. I was amazed. Then, he told me that its not a new thing. That he knew some other first class graduates who are still jobless like him. So is it really possible for a first class graduate to be jobless in Nigeria?
Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by LaurelP(m): 1:46pm On Dec 30, 2014
But you saw with your eyes that its possible nah
And you're still asking

26 Likes

Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by gambudu: 2:07pm On Dec 30, 2014
winch tinsss undecided
Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by Nobody: 2:18pm On Dec 30, 2014
LaurelP:
And you're still asking
Thank u o jare..And he is still asking?

4 Likes

Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by 3DCYCLOPS: 2:22pm On Dec 30, 2014
No o...your friend is giving out jobs.

if not be small thing ah for call u mumû...but mah pity you.

you met your friend who's a living testimony..still you come here to ask a foolish question

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by SirHouloo(m): 2:25pm On Dec 30, 2014
He should have picked up a lecturing job in his alma mata now.
Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by berryBee(f): 2:36pm On Dec 30, 2014
Noo..not possible..they get automatic employment from their alma Matas..unless he turned it down

2 Likes

Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by ilori1930(m): 2:47pm On Dec 30, 2014
berryBee:
Noo..not possible..they get automatic employment from their alma Matas..unless he turned it down
Sarcasm or naivety, which

7 Likes

Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by crudedude(m): 3:22pm On Dec 30, 2014
Question for the gods

1 Like

Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by midasbliss(f): 3:23pm On Dec 30, 2014
Op. Ever heard of the witches that follow people from their villages?

4 Likes

Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by stepo707: 3:31pm On Dec 30, 2014
ilori1930:

Sarcasm or naiveity, which

grin grin

midasbliss:

cheesy cheesy
LaurelP:
And you're still asking

cheesy grin

Well all i have to say is that in Nigeria, anything is possible.
Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by SkinnyDude(m): 4:01pm On Dec 30, 2014
SirHouloo:
He should have picked up a lecturing job in his alma mata now.
what if he cant lecture? what if he stutters?

1 Like

Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by Nobody: 4:08pm On Dec 30, 2014
Its no big news bro, come see first class graduate fumbling in accounting firm where I work.

99% of first class graduate don't go for ICAN because they will be expose big time.

If he's that good let him go for his professional exam and pray harder.
Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by coolest0(m): 4:09pm On Dec 30, 2014
In my country, anything is possible
Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by uboma(m): 4:35pm On Dec 30, 2014
@ op, your friend with a first class result has chosen to remain jobless....

He should developed some vocational skills instead of waiting for white colar jobs that is not readily available...

1 Like

Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by Mynd44: 4:39pm On Dec 30, 2014
It is possible. A lot of first class students are actually unemployable as they studied to pass and not to know.

You need to meet engineering students to understand this. They can explain the theoretical aspect of everything to you but in practice which is what a job will demand, they can't do much

6 Likes

Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by okotv(m): 4:44pm On Dec 30, 2014
eleyi gidigan
Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by Nobody: 4:52pm On Dec 30, 2014
Mynd44:
It is possible. A lot of first class students are actually unemployable as they studied to pass and not to know.

You need to meet engineering students to understand this. They can explain the theoretical aspect of everything to you but in practice which is what a job will demand, they can't do much
Bro , now you talking exprience when you say the cannot do what it demands . they do not have the technical skils but have got knowledge . you should blame this on the quality of education in Nigeria. I will rather go for a fresh graduate that has got knowledge over one that just studied to pass.

1 Like

Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by Mynd44: 4:55pm On Dec 30, 2014
majekdom2:
Bro , now you talking exprience when you say the cannot do what it demands . they do not have the technical skils but have got knowledge . you should blame this on the quality of education in Nigeria. I will rather go for a fresh graduate that has got knowledge over one that just studied to pass.
But for the Nigerian education system, the students have SWEP 1, SWEP 2 and one whole semester of SIWES.

If the student did not gain experience in those programs that student needs help

1 Like

Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by Nobody: 5:11pm On Dec 30, 2014
Mynd44:

But for the Nigerian education system, the students have SWEP 1, SWEP 2 and one whole semester of SIWES.

If the student did not gain experience in those programs that student needs help
hehehe , are you in Nigeria ? how many graduates end up working in their line of study ? a graduate job is easier to secure than a siwes position . I understand where you are going , but we all know what real experience is . I and some of my colleagues had internships in service companies , we did not visit the field once . so tell me where is the experience now ? some of these companies were even multinationals.it is a tough situation . I understand what you meant by some are not employeable , it is not just first class alone . The truth remains , the Nigerian universites do not prepare one for the labor market. May God help us.

3 Likes

Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by cc150615(f): 5:17pm On Dec 30, 2014
make I book space,

1 Like

Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by Mynd44: 5:23pm On Dec 30, 2014
majekdom2:
hehehe , are you in Nigeria ? how many graduates end up working in their line of study ? a graduate job is easier to secure than a siwes position . I understand where you are going , but we all know what real experience is . I and some of my colleagues had internships in service companies , we did not visit the field once . so tell me where is the experience now ? some of these companies were even multinationals.it is a tough situation . I understand what you meant by some are not employeable , it is not just first class alone . The truth remains , the Nigerian universites do not prepare one for the labor market. May God help us.
I know but engineering students need to realize what they are up against.

You know the firm you are doing your intern at is not doing much in the aspect of training but you stayed? Whatever happened to doing your internship in a mechanic workshop as a mechanical engineering student?

What happened to joining a construction firm as a civil engineering student?

When I did my IT, it was near hell. We worked and worked on the machines until the staff started us jobs meant for them. 3 months into it, I was controlling entire production lines on behalf of my supervisor (the company assigned us supervisors)

When I was in IT, staffs go on leave and IT student are assigned to their post.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by Nobody: 5:31pm On Dec 30, 2014
Mynd44:

I know but engineering students need to realize what they are up against.

You know the firm you are doing your intern at is not doing much in the aspect of training but you stayed? Whatever happened to doing your internship in a mechanic workshop as a mechanical engineering student?

What happened to joining a construction firm as a civil engineering student?

When I did my IT, it was near hell. We worked and worked on the machines until the staff started us jobs meant for them. 3 months into it, I was controlling entire production lines on behalf of my supervisor (the company assigned us supervisors)
Like I said , I understand what you meant by struggling for experience. my IT I was talking was about 5 to 6 years back now . I dont wanna say it gets tougher by the years , but thats how it looks to me. I have seen graduates work for free just to garner this experience . My man there are those willing to do what you did , the opportunties are not just there .we keep praying for a better country.

3 Likes

Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by Mynd44: 5:35pm On Dec 30, 2014
majekdom2:
Like I said , I understand what you meant by struggling for experience. my IT I was talking was about 5 to 6 years back now . I dont wanna say it gets tougher by the years , but thats how it looks to me. I have seen graduates work for free just to garner this experience . My man there are those willing to do what you did , the opportunties are not just there .we keep praying for a better country.
It is true still. I know people who go to companies asking to work for free and still get turned down.

Crazy world out there.

Not saying some students too. They just want an easy place where they also pay a ton
Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Dec 30, 2014
gambudu:
winch tinsss undecided

Keep fooling yourself grin
Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Dec 30, 2014
midasbliss:

In this century? Witch ko, wizard ni... Mtchew grin
Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by Nobody: 5:46pm On Dec 30, 2014
Dear nairalanders,

The witch theory is becoming annoying. We all know what the job situation in the country is like. it is very normal, I repeat very normal for a First Class graduate to be without a job after a year of graduating. Let's stop fooling ourselves.

Thank you grin

-Coming from a dude that missed graduating with a 2:2 by a whisker wink

1 Like

Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by dridowu: 5:50pm On Dec 30, 2014
Seeing is believing , op u don c am and u don believe am
Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by gbenga4sure(m): 6:12pm On Dec 30, 2014
it's just a pride
Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by gbenga4sure(m): 6:13pm On Dec 30, 2014
Been first class it's a pride
Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Dec 30, 2014
taiwolusol:
Dear nairalanders,

The witch theory is becoming annoying. We all know what the job situation in the country is like. it is very normal, I repeat very normal for a First Class graduate to be without a job after a year of graduating. Let's stop fooling ourselves.

Thank you grin

-Coming from a dude that missed graduating with a 2:2 by a whisker wink
pls , it is not normal for your mates to be securing the juicy jobs and changing jobs while you are yet to secure one regardless the situation of the country . There is definitely something you are still doing wrong and yet to get right. if you think the situation is normal , am sorry you my not land the dream job anytime soon .I am not supporting the witches stuff . I am trying to let you understand , if you see every ill situation around you as normal , you may not see the desired result . Nothing changes until there is a reaction.
Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by susrite(m): 7:18pm On Dec 30, 2014
fryo4life:
I have a friend who had a first class in Accounting from a reputable university. I saw him yesterday and asked him if he has got a job after a year of finishing nysc. Surprising, he told me he is still jobless and job hunting. I was amazed. Then, he told me that its not a new thing. That he knew some other first class graduates who are still jobless like him. So is it really possible for a first class graduate to be jobless in Nigeria?
wow! After contacting a person it really happened to you still go on to ask. Thats funny of you pal.

(1) (2) (Reply)

VACANCY! VACANCY!! VACANCY!!! LANDMARK UNIVERSITY FARMS, OMU-ARAN, KWARA STATE / Hsa Recruiting / Job Recruitment-Security Guards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.