Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,490 members, 7,819,784 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:16 PM

Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? (5092 Views)

They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? / Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? / Now Employed, 1st Class Graduate Spends First Wage On Billboard To Say Thanks! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by Kentnickole(m): 7:34pm On Dec 30, 2014
majekdom2:
hehehe , are you in Nigeria ? how many graduates end up working in their line of study ? a graduate job is easier to secure than a siwes position . I understand where you are going , but we all know what real experience is . I and some of my colleagues had internships in service companies , we did not visit the field once . so tell me where is the experience now ? some of these companies were even multinationals.it is a tough situation . I understand what you meant by some are not employeable , it is not just first class alone . The truth remains , the Nigerian universites do not prepare one for the labor market. May God help us.

My brother wether or not nigerian universities prepare graduates for the labour market, the truth remains that CONNECTION is the key to securing a job today in nigeria.... N...E...P...O...T...I...S...M !!!
Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by chyna4luv: 7:41pm On Dec 30, 2014
fryo4life:
I have a friend who had a first class in Accounting from a reputable university. I saw him yesterday and asked him if he haof finishing nysc?

Well, Brilliancy comes in divert ways. Someone may be brilliant educationally and make good grades while some are very poor educationally with POOR grades but VERY intelligent, guru, etc when it comes to jubhunting, getting information, passing job test and interviews.
What do I mean? I know one guy in my department that managed to graduate with 2.50 Lower Credit(HND) that have started working with first bank before our call-up came out, he postponed his service.
If he got the job through connection, that is brilliancy in another way.

Have you ever asked yourself why unserious students in the school are move informative, on the happenings in the department and school?
So, it's very possible for a FIRST CLASS chap to be moving around the street in search of jobs, if he lacks the power of networking and information.

1 Like

Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by freshness2020: 8:25pm On Dec 30, 2014
OrangeDream:
Thank u o jare..And he is still asking?
He wants to do Amenbo!
Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Dec 30, 2014
Kentnickole:

My brother wether or not nigerian universities prepare graduates for the labour market, the truth remains that CONNECTION is the key to securing a job today in nigeria.... N...E...P...O...T...I...S...M !!!
it will do you well to take of this connection mentalty. 97 percent of my friends got jobs and have changed jobs based on merit , they can say the same for some of their friends I do not know aso . yes some by connection , but I tell you good companies know the worth of a good quality human resource .
Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by XketchDesigns(m): 8:40pm On Dec 30, 2014
majekdom2:
it will do you well to take of this connection mentalty. 97 percent of my friends got jobs and have changed jobs based on merit , they can say the same for some of their friends I do not know aso . yes some by connection , but I tell you good companies know the worth of a good quality human resource .
When last did you see an advert for CBN, NCC, Mobile, Mint, NHIS and all this top places for graduate position? Yet the recruit all the time. My guy, na man no man. Evn if some of this place u have to prove your worth, na still person for inside go pass ur CV on.
Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by Nobody: 8:52pm On Dec 30, 2014
XketchDesigns:

When last did you see an advert for CBN, NCC, Mobile, Mint, NHIS and all this top places for graduate position? Yet the recruit all the time. My guy, na man no man. Evn if some of this place u have to prove your worth, na still person for inside go pass ur CV on.
I remember mynd44 saying some graduate would want companies that pay ton even without any experience and contacts. yes, these companies have not put graduate positions on overtime , but are they the only companies you can start your career with . yes , they may be your dream companies , what do you think you should do to get there since you dont have the connect to get you in as an inexperienced person .simple garner the eperience and contacts required . there are smaller companies willing to harness your talents but you dont even think about them , you are waiting for the top companies .if you are still seeking , I ll advice you change your views on this .
Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by noordean(m): 8:54pm On Dec 30, 2014
SirHouloo:
He should have picked up a lecturing job in his alma mata now.
highest number of nigerian first class graduates studied accounting...so dia schools cn not provide job for all of dem. dey r too many bro
Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by XketchDesigns(m): 9:32pm On Dec 30, 2014
majekdom2:
I remember mynd44 saying some graduate would want companies that pay ton even without any experience and contacts. yes, these companies have not put graduate positions on overtime , but are they the only companies you can start your career with . yes , they may be your dream companies , what do you think you should do to get there since you dont have the connect to get you in as an inexperienced person .simple garner the eperience and contacts required . there are smaller companies willing to harness your talents but you dont even think about them , you are waiting for the top companies .if you are still seeking , I ll advice you change your views on this .
I just gave u an example bro. Even the smallest companies this days, there are the ones that do the man no man more. Evn this FG graduates scheme is on a nomination bases, if you don't know somebody to nominate you, you will not get a spot. And that's like lowest of jobs. My guy, it takes the grace of the Almighty, because no be by ur doing.

1 Like

Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by buoye1(m): 9:33pm On Dec 30, 2014
It is not by the CLASS,it is by what you have in the brain!
Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by buoye1(m): 9:36pm On Dec 30, 2014
3DCYCLOPS:
No o...your friend is giving out jobs.

if not be small thing ah for call u mumû...but mah pity you.

you met your friend who's a living testimony..still you come here to ask a foolish question
Thank you that's the answer that soothes him
Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by Nobody: 9:37pm On Dec 30, 2014
XketchDesigns:

I just gave u an example bro. Even the smallest companies this days, there are the ones that do the man no man more. Evn this FG graduates scheme is on a nomination bases, if you don't know somebody to nominate you, you will not get a spot. And that's like lowest of jobs. My guy, it takes the grace of the Almighty, because no be by ur doing.
it is a well known fact jobs in federal parastatals are usually thru connect . people get jobs on merit ,loads of Nl peeps are a testimony . I am not disputing the connection thing but you guys shouldnt make it look like everyone who gets a job got it via connection. companies still recruit on merit.
Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by buoye1(m): 9:47pm On Dec 30, 2014
midasbliss:
Op. Ever heard of the witches that follow people from their villages?
lol
Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by CHM11: 10:09pm On Dec 30, 2014
XketchDesigns:

Not that, I know tens of people who have great jobs without any form of connection. I am a living witness.
With all my connection in coys like shell, chevron, baker hughes, slumberger, NNPC and what have you, I was jobless for almost a year. Got my first job when I knew what it took to ace an interview and sell myself well. Since then I can easily change jobs when the opportunity comes.
Summary of it...the competition is very high but there is still a great level of meritocracy in some of these multinationals.
Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by iwriterng(m): 11:59pm On Dec 30, 2014
The best student in my department is totally withdrawn from the reality of life, all he does is studying. I literally forced him to create a Facebook account, he doesn't even have a smartphone, because he thinks, it's a distraction.

Overtime, I have discovered that being sociable play a vital role in establishing long term connection, and a larger percentage of first class graduates are not sociable. All they do is study and study the more.

So, yes! a socially retar...ded first class graduate can be jobless for years.

1 Like

Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by realK: 5:22am On Dec 31, 2014
In addition to all that have been said (not that I agree with most of them though), it is difficult for small firm to keep first class graduates as they tend to move from job to job a lot compared to others. I was talking to a friend who told me he has stopped hiring graduates in this category.

So, how many big firms or companies are out there to hire them? In addition, your friend must pass the tests and the interviews of these big firms to get hired. Tests might be easy for bookworms, interviews are definitely more difficult for them!
Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by realK: 6:05am On Dec 31, 2014
Please advise you friend to get professional certification in accounting from any of accounting bodies. I am sure he or she can pass the exams.
Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by Ayomidegbenga1(m): 1:05pm On Dec 31, 2014
Of course,yes! So many conditions can cause it.Top on the list is witches and wizards can battle his/her glory for many years which can hinder the person from getting a job.
Re: Can A First Class Graduate Really Be Jobless? by deanoffaculty: 5:09pm On Dec 31, 2014
@OP.......I think the question should be 'Can a first class graduate be selling plantain and roasted corn?'......
I have seen one in Ikotun area of Lagos before and I wept when he was sharing with me the story of his life. There are hundreds of them out there. Making it in life is not a function of certificate but GRACE. I pray that evil people of this world will not have a touch in our destinies IJN.......

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Consolidated Hallmark Plc Recruitment / Famfa Oil Aptitude Test / Gionee Phones Is Recruiting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.