Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,282 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:19 AM

New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 (38755 Views)

Top 20 Used Cars To Avoid / New Policy On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: Big News Page / Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by Nobody: 9:24am On Dec 31, 2014
amaechionuh:
Its time for IVM cars to rule our roads, support your own.

Good development for our automobile industry to strive, this is a wake up call and good opportunity for Nigerian engineers to compete with Innoson or he will rake in all the money.

GEJ till 2019

Innoson is trying....but the problem is he still imports a lot of the components of his cars from China. His goal should be to make them in Nigeria....which he cannot do because Ajaokuta is still comatose.

If he cannot make them in Nigeria....the cost of his cars will shoot up (unless he can tell his friend GEJ to waive import duties on raw materials for cars et al...which would be difficult in this oil price reduction era.)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by Atiba50(m): 9:24am On Dec 31, 2014
Hunn ..no shaking. but what OGA jonathan dey always think bad in january Hunn ..no shaking. but what OGA jonathan dey always think bad in january Hunn ..no shaking. but what OGA jonathan dey always think bad in january
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by datbay(m): 9:24am On Dec 31, 2014
shortgun:

GEJ till 2019
Prices of tokunbo cars must go up to encourage local productions. Have you not heard of the National Automotive policy?
Why do you think vehicle manufacturers are now opening factories in Nigeria?

Nigerians will be better off in the long run if this policy is properly implemented.
You hate change yet we want development.
And you think this govt is up to the task....what has he done with the removed subsidy in the last 3years?

1 Like

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by seangy4konji: 9:24am On Dec 31, 2014
He will do all his best to make life unbearable for the average Nigerian.

Good luck indeed.
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by M4gunners: 9:25am On Dec 31, 2014
buoye1:
Today is my birthday

Nairalanders celebrate me by wishing me a happy birthday

This comments make it the 2000th comment on Nairaland

Oya ladies and gent,I ll be waiting for una wishes

Cheers

#babyoftheyear
Happy birthday to you guy. Trink but don,t forget to go to Church today. Dat Trink is the Germans spelling of drink so bear with me.

1 Like

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by Brown419(m): 9:27am On Dec 31, 2014
Nice 1
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by Nobody: 9:27am On Dec 31, 2014
alexitohan2020:
It can only get better. The government is trying to discourage importation of cars so we could patronize locally made cars or better till, buy new cars.
Cheers OP
Wishing all Niaralanders a peaceful year ahead in 2015

HW does it get beta?

It is we the citizen that suffer the effect, why cant the government give the companies manufacturing inside some wavier to make their cars cheaper, rather they want to make more money. Also 70 percent is outrageous. hw much does the government knw dey sell new car? you cant get a new car less than 2.5m. how many people can afford 2.5m for a car when a gud tokunbo can go as low as 1m embarassed

Even okonjo, aganga and GEJ do not use these so called locally manufactured cars.

All these people bringing all these harsh polices dey didn't witness during their time, it God dat will judge them.

3 Likes

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by amaechionuh(m): 9:28am On Dec 31, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Automotive policy is not going to work....not with power at 5000MW (South Africa does 40000,South Korea 100000mw),not with Ajaokuta still a rusting hulk, and not without massive investment in technical education (your man GEJ should have removed the fuel subsidy and invested some of the money in technical schools....instead he builds more universities to produce more first class clerks for the govt office...and add more financial liabilities for the future).

Shame on you ooo... IVM is an evidence that our automotive policy is working, this is a very good news infact they should make it 100% import duty. Innoson is making cars in Nigeria and you should be proud of it, all you do is hate and criticise, that's why you will never grow. We have lots of Innosons in Nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by 49cents(m): 9:29am On Dec 31, 2014
treasuress:
God punish GEJ more money for the rich no wonder dem dey donate money give u, ...GMB forever

only you bann bike only u want to make cars expensive so the poor cant buy, smh

I am not a Jonathanian but I think this is a good policy that will encourage the growing automobile car indusry!

More companies will start local assembly of automobilesn creating competition that will end up lowering the prices and very good acquistion plans.

In a short time too their would be backward integeration as parts would be locally sourced and favricated........can you imagine the possibilities

GEJ got it right on this one

5 Likes

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by 2rez: 9:29am On Dec 31, 2014
Fairgodwin:
It's a good development. Please let's leave sentiments out of this and look at it logically and critically - and you will see it's actually a feasible and welcomed development - only if fully implemented.
Welcome dev u said. Nobody z bein sentimental about it. We bein factual. A fact dat will alwayz stand out. Az there been any sort of welcome dev in diz country dat favors tha poor eventho' fully implemented? kiss
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by darediamond(m): 9:29am On Dec 31, 2014
I Pray The Government Fully Implement This to make our own Car Production Boom and thereby increase Employment and Further boost the Value of our Naira.
Auto Buiness is not a small Biz.
It is a force to reckon with if you want to boost your Economy.
So it time GEJ increase Tax HEAVILY on products Enemies of Nigeria are Importing but which are as well manufactured here in Nigeria too.
May all those working against Nigeria with Senseless Importation Decompose Alive in Jesus name.
Amen.
mcgboye:

http://www.punchng.com/news/tokunbo-cars-to-cost-more-from-january-1/

http://nairametrics.com/new-year-gift-from-this-govt-import-duty-on-tokunbo-cars-to-increase-by-70-jan-1st/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

Basically, import duty on tokunbo cars will double. The direct result is a significant increase in the prices of cars. I hope the gov't doesn't go ahead with this new duty regime.
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by Etoshil18(m): 9:30am On Dec 31, 2014
Seen
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by Nobody: 9:32am On Dec 31, 2014
amaechionuh:

Shame on you ooo... IVM is an evidence that our automotive policy is working, this is a very good news infact they should make it 100% import duty. Innoson is making cars in Nigeria and you should be proud of it, all you do is hate and criticise, that's why you will never grow. We have lots of Innosons in Nigeria.

Of course...I know and applaud Innoson....but he could do a lot more if we had adequate power supply, and if Ajaokuta is working...so that many of the components he has to import for his cars...he won't be importing them anymore.

And my point on technical education is still important....many Nigerian industrialists complain that they do not have enough technicians (And that is partly Nigerians' fault....we think that technical school is for dropouts.).
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by coolluk(m): 9:32am On Dec 31, 2014
kennaustine:
Whats really wrong with y'all APC propagandist? The increase in tariffs for imported automobile is to encourage local automobile manufacturers. Common SS2 Economics student will tell you that one way of encouraging local production is increasing import tariffs. That's called Import Substitution Strategy. Aren't you ashamed that Nigeria has become a dumping ground for every kind of crap produced in other climes? We have Innoson, PAN, ANNAMCO, VON, Nissan and other automobile manufacturers in Nigeria and we know that government is trying to revitalize them so as to boosts our economy. Yet you criticize this one very good move government makes to see to its realization. SMH. Which way Nigeria? #SeeBeyondPropaganda

Propaganda asside, I am no economist but there is a term called Laissez-faire in econonmics, no wonder they were all running to contribute to pdp. SMH
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by Fairgodwin(m): 9:32am On Dec 31, 2014
[quote author=2rez post=29360395]
Welcome dev u said. Nobody z bein sentimental about it. We bein factual. A fact dat will alwayz stand out. Az there been any sort of welcome dev in diz country dat favors tha poor eventho' fully implemented? kiss [/quote.

Okay.
I've made my point and I believe you've equally made yours. Thank you.
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by justicesky24(m): 9:33am On Dec 31, 2014
Hmmm
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by Nobody: 9:33am On Dec 31, 2014
& d countdown to FREEDOM from cluelessness/kleptocracy begins....#change 2015!
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by RayCharles(m): 9:33am On Dec 31, 2014
kennaustine:
Whats really wrong with y'all APC propagandist? The increase in tariffs for imported automobile is to encourage local automobile manufacturers. Common SS2 Economics student will tell you that one way of encouraging local production is increasing import tariffs. That's called Import Substitution Strategy. Aren't you ashamed that Nigeria has become a dumping ground for every kind of crap produced in other climes? We have Innoson, PAN, ANNAMCO, VON, Nissan and other automobile manufacturers in Nigeria and we know that government is trying to revitalize them so as to boosts our economy. Yet you criticize this one very good move government makes to see to its realization. SMH. Which way Nigeria? #SeeBeyondPropaganda

Bros I buy 1 Tokunbo 4 600 dis year! Abeg lead me 2 that automobile manufacturer way I fit buy em car that amount! Make I drop ma number abeg!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by Haywhymido(m): 9:34am On Dec 31, 2014
I said it, i told u guys to be on d look out 4 mr president's new year gift.Isn't dis nice??
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by Ekeke1(m): 9:37am On Dec 31, 2014
What next wil cost more?
Vote for Goodluck Jonathan they say!
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by myownlife(m): 9:38am On Dec 31, 2014
kuss:
I will never buy a tokubo car again in my life in jesua name
Selfish dude.
Because you have crossed the bridge, you think the best for you is to burn the ladder. Even in America, using a used car is not a stigma. This is almost new year. No make me vex ooo.
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by victorazy(m): 9:38am On Dec 31, 2014
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by papaejima1: 9:38am On Dec 31, 2014
Which would you prefer, a brand new car that is cheap or a tokumbo that is expensive.

Let's use the brains God gave us people.
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by adewasco2k(m): 9:39am On Dec 31, 2014
I saw this coming grin
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by DaBullIT(m): 9:40am On Dec 31, 2014
[size=18pt]
When a Nigerian wants car

And our govt ain't doing nothing for us

This GEJ ain't loyal

He's a biatch he ain't loyal

[/size]
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by kevoh(m): 9:42am On Dec 31, 2014
Ekeke1:
What next wil cost more?
Fuel price, introduction of toll fare all around Nigeria, electricity bill, Tertiary tuition fees...the list is endless my brother...
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by iyobs7(f): 9:44am On Dec 31, 2014
I wonder what engineers in this country are doing... Construction of roads oyinbo man... Cars oh oyinbo man... Them want build mega structure oya Julius Berger... They always go for training abroad but still cannot think enough to come out with something locally... The dirty Indians we always talk about are masters if themselves... I never see white man wey dey head any of the establishment wey I don see or hear about.. Shabi Una hear how much them take launch their satelite?

This is a good policy but will witches and wizards in high places allow capable brains to come up with innovative ideas and support them? Me and you know e go tay...

The government is not clueless... It is the masses that is clueless because they do not know their right from their left... Always blaming the government...

In Nigeria, when it is from abroad, it is quality, but made in Nigeria is bad quality...

Some of you ignorant goats here still ask for London used phones, I now wonder what is the difference? London used, aba used, Lagos uses, nor be phone? If it is in good condition why not buy it?

We can sit on our keyboard and type rubbish, the day is passing bye you, keep wasting your life and think that Buhari or Jonathan is the best choice...

A lazy workman will always complain of its tools while a determined and skillful work man will always devise a means to make things work...

Keep bashing yourselves and throwing accusations all around... Those senators sons and daughters in NNPC, CHEVRON, SHELL do not have the sill.y time for themselves to argue...

Nigeria... A land of hypocritical and Mediocritic people...

8 Likes

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by ceejayluv(m): 9:45am On Dec 31, 2014
SaiBuharii:

He has increased the price of car importation to 70%. Means if you buy a car of 1m, you pay extra 700,000 thousand.
That's definitely wrong... If the tariff for a 1 million naira vehicle was 100k before, it'll rise to 170k now
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by shortgun(m): 9:45am On Dec 31, 2014
datbay:
And you think this govt is up to the task....what has he done with the removed subsidy in the last 3years?
Chief, direct all your enquiries to the nearest SURE-P office.

1 Like

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by qtx(m): 9:45am On Dec 31, 2014
Tinubu:
Discouraging importation is no doubt, the best way to attain economic development

Less importation= more demand for local commodities = encouraging local enterpreneurship= more employment opportunities.

However,

Inasmuch as supporting local industries is praiseworthy, quality control shouldn't be taken lightly.... The Standard Organization of Nigeria, and other quality standard regulatory agencies should become less of a bureaucratic rubber-stamp, and rise up to their responsibilities of ensuring public safety, and commensurate value for money spent

But, with this Otueke fellow undecided

I just sense that the sole purpose of this increase in duties, is to add more fuel to his looting jamboree..... We are yet to recover from the fuel subsidy removal scam, missing billions, etc, and he deems it fit to still assault the Nigerian public again..... angry
sense-able talk.
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by Collynzo22: 9:45am On Dec 31, 2014
Good for our economy, our naira and our jobs.
It is not compulsory to own a car, If you can't afford a brand new made in Nigeria car, use a Taxi, bus, keke, train or buy a bicycle.
That is what is obtainable in advanced countries, Nigeria must not continue to be a dump yard.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

My Experience As UBER Driver For One Day / Photos From The Official Launch Of Suzuki In Nigeria / Flying Car Crashes In Canada (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.