Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,748 members, 7,809,859 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:06 PM

Parents Reject N5000 Insurance Levy For Pupils In Unity Schools - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Parents Reject N5000 Insurance Levy For Pupils In Unity Schools (13463 Views)

Application For Admission Into Federal Government Unity Schools 2016 Is Ongoing / Pupils Of A Primary School Climbing Fence / Labour Faults Moves To Cede Unity Schools To States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Parents Reject N5000 Insurance Levy For Pupils In Unity Schools by LRNZH(m): 4:29pm On Dec 31, 2014
Parents of pupils in the unity schools and the Federal Ministry of Education are now at loggerheads over the directive by the ministry asking parents to pay N5,000 insurance policy for their children.

Under the scheme, which is being underwritten by NICON Insurance Plc, the money is to mitigate the effects of the Boko Haram insurgency and other forms of attacks on educational institutions.

Though parents applauded the initiative, they however rejected the provision that stipulated that each of the pupils should pay N5,000 per annum to enjoy the scheme.

For instance, the Chairman, Parent-Teacher-Association, Federal Government College, Jos, Plateau State, Mr. Mutla Habila, said parents were opposed to the scheme.

He told one of our correspondents on the telephone that parents were opposed to the scheme because they could not see its value.

He said, “As the PTA FGC Jos chairman, I was the first person to question the propriety of the scheme and I stand by my opposition to it. I am asking all parents not to pay and those who have paid should ask for a refund.”

But the Principal of FGC Jos, Mr. Manko Mohammed, said the insurance scheme was a policy of the Federal Government, which all parents were to comply with.

He said that he had not asked parents not to pay, but the text message asking parents to ignore the directive was from the PTA of the school which the authorities knew nothing about.

He said, “As a civil servant, I am supposed to follow directives and this one is from the Federal Ministry of Education and I communicate to all parents through the newsletter. I did not send any text message to parents. It was from a certain PTA of which we have no knowledge of.”

He said all parents were duly briefed about the benefits of the scheme to the welfare of their children.

The scheme, when implemented will fetch NICON N625m from the 104 unity schools with 125,000 pupils.

Also, some parents of pupils at the Federal Government College, Ijanikin, Lagos have queried the scheme.

They argued that the Federal Government was supposed to pay for the policy because it was the government that should be responsible for the security of the pupils.

“I work in a company too and the management of the firm has insured me. I was not asked to pay for the policy, so why should the government ask pupils to pay N5,000 yearly for the policy?” One of the parents, Mr. Kunle Ayeni, said.

Also, the King’s College, Lagos Parent-Teacher-Association on Tuesday faulted the new insurance regime, saying the move was hasty.

The association spoke through its Chairman, Chief Emman Oriakhi.

Oriakhi said though the initiative looked laudable, it was wrong for the Federal Government to have embarked on it without consulting major stakeholders.

He said, “It is a good move that was hastily carried out. The Federal Ministry of Education did not consult any interested group in the sector.

“The KCPTA is aligning with its parent association, National Association of Parent-Teacher of the Federal Government Colleges, in rejecting this policy.

“If major stakeholders had discussed the derivable gains, we would have been in a position to say whether it is worth committing our money to.

“Do you know what it means to garner N625m every year via this policy? So, I canvass that the authorities should invite and discuss with stakeholders on the way forward.”

Meanwhile, the management of NICON Insurance Plc, on Tuesday said its appointment as the underwriter of the Students’ Welfare Insurance Scheme followed due process.

http://www.punchng.com/news/parents-reject-fgs-n625m-insurance-for-pupils/

2 Likes

Re: Parents Reject N5000 Insurance Levy For Pupils In Unity Schools by dhardline(m): 4:37pm On Dec 31, 2014
In my own opinion i think 5,000 naira is too much especially when we know that 2,500 naira can actually guarantee some age group a cover of 500,000 naira.and i dont want to believe that any unity school pays up to 200,000 as school fees.

2 Likes

Re: Parents Reject N5000 Insurance Levy For Pupils In Unity Schools by LRNZH(m): 4:45pm On Dec 31, 2014
The clandestine scheme to profiteer Jimoh Ibrahim by PDP has met a brickwall.

High level Corruption! When will thou leave us Nigerians?

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Parents Reject N5000 Insurance Levy For Pupils In Unity Schools by Nobody: 4:57pm On Dec 31, 2014
This only benefits Jimoh Ibrahim and does'nt benefit parents.I'm sure this is a form of paying him back for donating to Goodluck Jonathan campaign.Can someone please name another country in the world where children are charged for a life insurance policy in public schools?This goverment is beyond clueless and corrupt,NICON presented this to the goverment and they decided to make it a policy,Goodluck Jonathan should tell us how it benefits Nigerian parents some of whom he owes 3 months salary.
On another note why is Jimoh Ibrahim not in jail,he collected N35.5 billion naira from Stella Oduah Aviation Intervention Fund for distressed airlines and diverted it to his other businesses and liquidated Nicon Airways,this is plain fraud.This is the stealing that Goodluck Jonathan has allowed to prosper.

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Parents Reject N5000 Insurance Levy For Pupils In Unity Schools by LRNZH(m): 5:27pm On Dec 31, 2014
seges:
This only benefits Jimoh Ibrahim and does'nt benefit parents.I'm sure this is a form of paying him back for donating to Goodluck Jonathan campaign.Can someone please name another country in the world where children are charged for a life insurance policy in public schools?This goverment is beyond clueless and corrupt,NICON presented this to the goverment and they decided to make it a policy,Goodluck Jonathan should tell us how it benefits Nigerian parents some of whom he owes 3 months salary.
On another note why is Jimoh Ibrahim not in jail,he collected N35.5 billion naira from Stella Oduah aviation intervention fund for distressed airlines and diverted it to his other businesses and liquidated Nicon Airways,this is plain fraud.This is the stealing that Goodluck Jonathan has allowed to prosper.

Watchout for PDP supporters' defence... grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Parents Reject N5000 Insurance Levy For Pupils In Unity Schools by PassingShot(m): 5:29pm On Dec 31, 2014
PDP/GEJ are thieves!

Now I believe GEJ is on a mission to bankrupt and pauperize Nigeria and Nigerians.

A government that has failed to provide security which is one of her primary duties should definitely be the one paying for their insurance!

And if the parents must be the ones paying, it shouldn't be compulsory.

625 million Naira yearly! Haba, make una fear God oooo!

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Parents Reject N5000 Insurance Levy For Pupils In Unity Schools by LRNZH(m): 6:22pm On Dec 31, 2014
PassingShot:
PDP/GEJ are thieves!

Now I believe GEJ is on a mission to bankrupt and pauperize Nigeria and Nigerians.

A government that has failed to provide security which is one of her primary duties should definitely be the one paying for their insurance!

And if the parents must be the ones paying, it shouldn't be compulsory.

625 million Naira yearly! Haba, make una fear God oooo!

625 Million annually. Blatant corruption with impunty.
The average SS person has a higher moral standard better than GEJ.

6 Likes

Re: Parents Reject N5000 Insurance Levy For Pupils In Unity Schools by egift(m): 6:38pm On Dec 31, 2014
So any student who do not pay, FG will hand them over to Boko Haram?

All Jonathan knows is to use Boko Haram as Money making Enterprise (Inflated budget, more contract, demand for a Billion $$$ loan, smuggle money to South Africa, etc - now it is the turn to extract N5,000 from the millions of Nigerian Students).

Vote for Change this 2015 - before it is too late.

16 Likes

Re: Parents Reject N5000 Insurance Levy For Pupils In Unity Schools by Nobody: 6:42pm On Dec 31, 2014
LRNZH:

625 Million annually. Blatant corruption with impunty.
The aveage SS person has a higher moral standard better than GEJ.
If Goodluck Jonathan did care and took corruption seriously,the primary beneficary of the scheme Jimoh Ibrahim who owns Nicon Insurance,should be made to refund the N35.5 billion naira he fraudulently collected from Stella Oduah Aviation Intervention fund for distressed airlines and shortly after collecting it liquidated his airline Nicon Airways and pocketed the proceeds.
This money when recovered from Jimoh Ibrahim will be able to cover Nigeria's students for the next 50 years(35.5 billion/625million). Goodluck Jonathan does'nt realise the destructive effects of condoning corruption and not giving a damn.

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Parents Reject N5000 Insurance Levy For Pupils In Unity Schools by Zico5(m): 6:57pm On Dec 31, 2014
Gej is always attracting propagander every time. I don't even know the set of advisers that surround this man. In normal setting, democracy ought to bring agenders and policies that ll ease the load of the masses. How can a president just wake up and enforce any policy without due consultation. Just two month to election and he still feel some policies will be accepted with open arms. What kind of insensitivity is he exhibiting for goodness sake. And some of his diehards re still praising him to high heaven. What a pity.

2 Likes

Re: Parents Reject N5000 Insurance Levy For Pupils In Unity Schools by LRNZH(m): 7:01pm On Dec 31, 2014
seges:

If Goodluck Jonathan did care and took corruption seriously,the primary beneficary of the scheme Jimoh Ibrahim who owns Nicon Insurance,should be made to refund the N35.5 billion naira he fraudulently collected from Stella Oduah Aviation Intervention fund for distressed airlines and shortly after collecting it liquidated his airline Nicon Airways and pocketed the proceeds.
This money when recovered from Jimoh Ibrahim will be able to cover Nigeria's students for the next 50 years(35.5 billion/625million). Goodluck Jonathan does'nt realise the destructive effects of condoning corruption and not giving a damn.

Seges. I doff my hat.

Right thinking Nigerians are needed in Gov't. You are definitely one.

8 Likes

Re: Parents Reject N5000 Insurance Levy For Pupils In Unity Schools by abrahym(m): 7:03pm On Dec 31, 2014
I don't know what to believe again
Re: Parents Reject N5000 Insurance Levy For Pupils In Unity Schools by DancingSkeleton(m): 7:32pm On Dec 31, 2014
And so
Re: Parents Reject N5000 Insurance Levy For Pupils In Unity Schools by intergral(m): 7:32pm On Dec 31, 2014
I don't even know what's the big deal about making frontpage .......... Some people even celebrate it BIG!!!! As for me, I appear on frontpage any time I like!
Re: Parents Reject N5000 Insurance Levy For Pupils In Unity Schools by jingh(f): 7:33pm On Dec 31, 2014
The only thing his puppet are for is policy on top policy.
The more policy the more corruption filled agencies.

Still stealing is not corruption.
Soon we will pay for the air we breath

1 Like

Re: Parents Reject N5000 Insurance Levy For Pupils In Unity Schools by Nobody: 7:33pm On Dec 31, 2014
.Wat Insurance Levy..GEJ and his Cabals ...Oppressing the Masses since 2009. GMB2015 till GEJ finds his shoes

2 Likes

Re: Parents Reject N5000 Insurance Levy For Pupils In Unity Schools by dre11(m): 7:33pm On Dec 31, 2014
Another way to milk the parents of their hard earned money.

Just like how the University collected caution feel, acceptance fee to enrich their purse

2 Likes

Re: Parents Reject N5000 Insurance Levy For Pupils In Unity Schools by ogaofficer(m): 7:35pm On Dec 31, 2014
Mr. President incase you dnt knw, let me remind you that today is the end of year 2014, in conclusion i want to tell you that "your days are numbered" when Nigerians will sing a new song come 2015. The storm of stealing is not corruption will soon be over.

3 Likes

Re: Parents Reject N5000 Insurance Levy For Pupils In Unity Schools by Ilekeh(f): 7:36pm On Dec 31, 2014
egift:
So any student who do not pay, FG will hand them over to Boko Haram?

All Jonathan knows is to use Boko Haram as Money making Enterprise (Inflated budget, more contract, demand for a Billion $$$ loan, smuggle money to South Africa, etc - now it is the turn to extract N5,000 from the millions of Nigerian Students).

Vote for Change this 2015 - before it is too late.

Good question.

I'm guessing that students who do not pay will have their right to receive education withheld.

EDUCATION IS A RIGHT. IT IS NOT A PRIVILEDGE.

11 Likes

Re: Parents Reject N5000 Insurance Levy For Pupils In Unity Schools by Adesam09(m): 7:36pm On Dec 31, 2014
hmmm..
Re: Parents Reject N5000 Insurance Levy For Pupils In Unity Schools by olayincar(m): 7:36pm On Dec 31, 2014
Ok
Re: Parents Reject N5000 Insurance Levy For Pupils In Unity Schools by Nobody: 7:36pm On Dec 31, 2014
New year New Useless policies..2012 it was Subsidy ..GEJ is a non entity

3 Likes

Re: Parents Reject N5000 Insurance Levy For Pupils In Unity Schools by Anikulhapo(m): 7:37pm On Dec 31, 2014
Another Way To Fraudulently Extort Money From The Citizens They Have Impoverished........GOVERNMENT FOR THE RICH,BY THE RICH AND OF THE RICH

2 Likes

Re: Parents Reject N5000 Insurance Levy For Pupils In Unity Schools by NewsINigeria(m): 7:37pm On Dec 31, 2014
Ok
Re: Parents Reject N5000 Insurance Levy For Pupils In Unity Schools by hunkydory(m): 7:37pm On Dec 31, 2014
Another way to extort money from pupils.
Re: Parents Reject N5000 Insurance Levy For Pupils In Unity Schools by fisaylab: 7:38pm On Dec 31, 2014
International thief thief,pdp international thief thief.who told nicon to make donation to pdp.chai naija

1 Like

Re: Parents Reject N5000 Insurance Levy For Pupils In Unity Schools by bruno419(m): 7:39pm On Dec 31, 2014
#team show us ur certificate
Re: Parents Reject N5000 Insurance Levy For Pupils In Unity Schools by Nobody: 7:39pm On Dec 31, 2014
When will government realize that paternalistic approach as the above mentioned policy do not work in a democratic entity?

1 Like

Re: Parents Reject N5000 Insurance Levy For Pupils In Unity Schools by atease7irorun: 7:39pm On Dec 31, 2014
Another medium to extort money from parents.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

ASUU Strike: FG Announces 23.5% Salary Increment For Lecturers / OFFICIAL: UNIZIK POST UME 2010/2011 DATE & PAST QUESTIONS AVAILABLE. / Apply For Scholarships Overseas 2016/2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.