Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,434 members, 7,819,567 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:17 PM

4 Things To Consider Before Going For Your Masters - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 4 Things To Consider Before Going For Your Masters (36642 Views)

Things To Do Before Going To You Study Abroad / 4 Things To Do If This Year's Admission Did Not Favour You / Basic Skills You Must Learn Now Before Going To Any Higher Institution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Things To Consider Before Going For Your Masters by Kofacts(m): 8:23pm On Dec 31, 2014
Getting a master's degree will be an incredible source of pride and help bring you professional opportunities you may not have previously thought possible. However, you need to know a few things before you get started.

Why You Want One

The most common reason that people seek a master's degree is to advance in their profession and earn more money. Others, however, go this route in order to change careers completely. For example, you may have earned a bachelor's degree in English and later decide you want to become a counselor. In that case, a master's will allow you to develop expertise in that area so you can enter a new field. This type of degree is offered in a wide range of fields, including mathematics, biology, psychology, business, social work, and many others.

How Long It Takes

It typically takes two years to obtain a master's of arts (MA) or science (MS) after getting your bachelor's. There is basically no difference between an MA and an MS other than the name; they have the same basic educational requirements. While you'll be in classes similar to those you went through to get your bachelor's, they are typically more like seminars in that they contain a great deal of discussion. In addition, you'll be expected to perform much more analysis than you've done previously.

The Workload

You can expect to do coursework full time. You'll have to take required courses at first, but then you'll be able to focus on your specific subject area later on. If you are studying a science, you will probably do a great deal of fieldwork and laboratory research. If you're in a professional program, you'll probably be required to complete an internship.

You will either have to complete an extended research paper or a thesis, depending on your field of study. The thesis could be a scientific experiment or a detailed analysis of a certain piece of literature. There are some programs that offer alternatives to the thesis, such as a comprehensive exam. It could be an oral test, a written one, or a combination. If you're studying in a field such as psychology or social work, you may need to perform an internship or practicum in which you learn the skills needed to perform therapy.

Choosing to pursue a master's degree is not something to take lightly. You'll need to be prepared to put in a great deal of work and may have to sacrifice some of the things you were able to enjoy while getting your bachelor's, such as time hanging out with friends and more. However, once you accomplish your goal, the benefits you enjoy could very well last a lifetime.
Source: http://unnedu..com/2014/12/4-things-to-consider-before-going-for.html

64 Likes 14 Shares

Re: 4 Things To Consider Before Going For Your Masters by eleko1: 8:42pm On Dec 31, 2014
Thank U so much for this piece,so insightful.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 4 Things To Consider Before Going For Your Masters by Beesluv: 8:48pm On Dec 31, 2014
Thanks

1 Like

Re: 4 Things To Consider Before Going For Your Masters by plucky16(m): 9:16pm On Dec 31, 2014
nice piece! kiss
Re: 4 Things To Consider Before Going For Your Masters by rottable(m): 11:17pm On Dec 31, 2014
thanks for the enlightenment, i am considering changing my field to more advanced field of study
Re: 4 Things To Consider Before Going For Your Masters by Nobody: 11:42pm On Dec 31, 2014
Good
Re: 4 Things To Consider Before Going For Your Masters by billtommy(m): 12:59am On Jan 01, 2015
Mehn.....u aren't wrong.....u seem to be a social work/ psychology student....I'm in sw and I know aw hectic it is

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Things To Consider Before Going For Your Masters by amakufrancis(m): 1:01am On Jan 01, 2015
Noted
Re: 4 Things To Consider Before Going For Your Masters by sunkyrazzy(m): 1:32am On Jan 01, 2015
Nice Post and well insightful!

*Modified*

Front Page for d first time on Nairaland and its coming on New Year's Day Gangan signs this year is gonna be great;abeg mk i dance shoki small.....S/O to my mum for bringing me to life and Mr Kebe for making sure Nairaland runs in my Blood!!!!
Happy New Year Day...Y'all!!

4 Likes

Re: 4 Things To Consider Before Going For Your Masters by Emeka30: 6:35am On Jan 01, 2015
As you go in need of good thesis, projects you are not alone. We are truly here to help. Check these out

http://uniprojectsearch.com/prostate-speci…quarry-workers/
http://uniprojectsearch.com/lassa-fever-he…h-care-workers/
http://uniprojectsearch.com/omega3-fatty-a…se-cholesterol/
http://uniprojectsearch.com/diabetes-melli…-complications/
http://uniprojectsearch.com/sustaining-jit…-anammco-enugu/
Re: 4 Things To Consider Before Going For Your Masters by HALLofFAME: 7:19am On Jan 01, 2015
Nigerians and Masters degree syndrome....Pls young graduate get work experience b4 u go 4 ur masters ....Masters degree is good but adding working experience to ur Msc will make ur Masters an asset to employers.

14 Likes

Re: 4 Things To Consider Before Going For Your Masters by nymphomaniac(m): 8:12am On Jan 01, 2015
your cash at hand
Re: 4 Things To Consider Before Going For Your Masters by raymis(f): 8:12am On Jan 01, 2015
good piece

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 4 Things To Consider Before Going For Your Masters by Nobody: 8:13am On Jan 01, 2015
Need it not now. Me for the next 3 Months HNY

Re: 4 Things To Consider Before Going For Your Masters by Nobody: 8:13am On Jan 01, 2015
Nice share
Re: 4 Things To Consider Before Going For Your Masters by aywhy93(m): 8:14am On Jan 01, 2015
Nice one
Re: 4 Things To Consider Before Going For Your Masters by seangy4konji: 8:16am On Jan 01, 2015
Ok.
Re: 4 Things To Consider Before Going For Your Masters by Bennyberry(m): 8:16am On Jan 01, 2015
adrelanine:
i see...
shey u blind b4 bah?...space booker
Re: 4 Things To Consider Before Going For Your Masters by holluphemydavid(m): 8:17am On Jan 01, 2015
am overwhelm with dis insight,it will go a longway in my life
Re: 4 Things To Consider Before Going For Your Masters by cumz(m): 8:17am On Jan 01, 2015
Hello..
HAppy new year.
I wanna ask if it is possible to do masters and work at the same time

1 Like

Re: 4 Things To Consider Before Going For Your Masters by Nobody: 8:18am On Jan 01, 2015
What next after masters?
Re: 4 Things To Consider Before Going For Your Masters by realestworld(m): 8:19am On Jan 01, 2015
4get all dose ones. u must b financially endowed b4 embarkin on such journeys.
unless ur papa na block

3 Likes

Re: 4 Things To Consider Before Going For Your Masters by realestworld(m): 8:19am On Jan 01, 2015
4get all doseyour grammar. u must b financially endowed b4 embarkin on such journeys.
unless ur papa na block
Re: 4 Things To Consider Before Going For Your Masters by sleemoon(m): 8:20am On Jan 01, 2015
F.uck M.sc Na money sure pass

1 Like

Re: 4 Things To Consider Before Going For Your Masters by prospero5(m): 8:23am On Jan 01, 2015
Mine has taken more time than anticipated. I started 2012 but i've written only four exams. Thanks to poor naija education system.

1 Like

Re: 4 Things To Consider Before Going For Your Masters by Poindexter: 8:23am On Jan 01, 2015
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!

Get employed first so that your MSc can count especially in the civil service! And then, you can also qualify for experienced hire.

1 Like

Re: 4 Things To Consider Before Going For Your Masters by ogbonoeba: 8:23am On Jan 01, 2015
Kofacts:
Getting a master's degree will be an incredible source of pride and help bring you professional opportunities you may not have previously thought possible. However, you need to know a few things before you get started.

Why You Want One

The most common reason that people seek a master's degree is to advance in their profession and earn more money. Others, however, go this route in order to change careers completely. For example, you may have earned a bachelor's degree in English and later decide you want to become a counselor. In that case, a master's will allow you to develop expertise in that area so you can enter a new field. This type of degree is offered in a wide range of fields, including mathematics, biology, psychology, business, social work, and many others.

How Long It Takes

It typically takes two years to obtain a master's of arts (MA) or science (MS) after getting your bachelor's. There is basically no difference between an MA and an MS other than the name; they have the same basic educational requirements. While you'll be in classes similar to those you went through to get your bachelor's, they are typically more like seminars in that they contain a great deal of discussion. In addition, you'll be expected to perform much more analysis than you've done previously.

The Workload

You can expect to do coursework full time. You'll have to take required courses at first, but then you'll be able to focus on your specific subject area later on. If you are studying a science, you will probably do a great deal of fieldwork and laboratory research. If you're in a professional program, you'll probably be required to complete an internship.

You will either have to complete an extended research paper or a thesis, depending on your field of study. The thesis could be a scientific experiment or a detailed analysis of a certain piece of literature. There are some programs that offer alternatives to the thesis, such as a comprehensive exam. It could be an oral test, a written one, or a combination. If you're studying in a field such as psychology or social work, you may need to perform an internship or practicum in which you learn the skills needed to perform therapy.

Choosing to pursue a master's degree is not something to take lightly. You'll need to be prepared to put in a great deal of work and may have to sacrifice some of the things you were able to enjoy while getting your bachelor's, such as time hanging out with friends and more. However, once you accomplish your goal, the benefits you enjoy could very well last a lifetime.
Source: http://unnedu..com/2014/12/4-things-to-consider-before-going-for.html

What about law and medicine?
Re: 4 Things To Consider Before Going For Your Masters by Nobody: 8:30am On Jan 01, 2015
With masters, u will live comfortably in nigeria if u get a job.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG Kicks-off Modified Home Grown School Feeding Programme In Lagos / 3 Former Governors Receive Operational Licenses To Float Universities / List Of Schools That Their Post-UTME Form Is Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.