Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,759 members, 7,824,182 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:13 AM

13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable (39359 Views)

7 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Fresh Graduate Find It Hard To Get A Job / Funny Picture Story About Nigerian Graduates / Sad But True Fact Most Nigerian Graduates Face Everyday(pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Adek15(m): 8:41pm On Jan 02, 2015
FriedPlantain:
Nigerian graduates are unemployable, nigerian graduates are overrated, nigerian graduates are this, they are that.........who the heck are producing the same graduates y'all are castigating? The same set of mofos saying we are unemployable are the same set of guys setting policies affecting us, the same olodo lecturers teaching us jargons in school, the same guys criticizing the efficiency of our curriculum are the same guys that set the phucking curriculum.
A good tree can only be judged by the good fruits it produced......if we the graduates are unemployable, then our lecturers, the minister of education, and every phucking body involved in education in Nigeria are also useless and unemployable!! Lubbish!angry

Friedplantain
the worst part is that most of the people criticizing are profs.
Re: 13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by butanep(m): 8:49pm On Jan 02, 2015
VenusBetty:
but you understand wetin him dey try tuk ba?
all those English critics for NL... they never open any thread but criticized others...

Na dump them be...
Re: 13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by 360command: 8:49pm On Jan 02, 2015
To me, we lack the ability to put things in practical. There is the fear if the business we want to do would yield profit or not.

Also, banks are not encouraging young minds. Interest rates by most banks are high.

Govt needs to pump in money yearly to people who have business ideas to employ at least 5 staffs in their proposed business idea.
Re: 13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by butanep(m): 8:57pm On Jan 02, 2015
olukenzo:
OP, I bet all these is why you kept writing "former" as "formal" undecided
you are a big fool... an idiot... for making such correction. You know what he is saying and why the long story.

You guyz don't open thread but criticized others...
Dull brain.
Re: 13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by AreaFada2: 9:03pm On Jan 02, 2015
The first reason is that jobs are very few.

If jobs were abundant, employers would be willing to train and retrain.

They should be talking about lack of self-employment training in tertiary insitutions.
Self-employment should be a module taken throughout the course:

Self-Employment 101 to 505 as the case maybe. With experts who have created own jobs and succeeded drafted in as instructors.
Re: 13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by LogoDWhiz(m): 9:14pm On Jan 02, 2015
netizenbuzz:

You mean rich?

Yeah!
And those who can acquire scholarship
Re: 13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by LogoDWhiz(m): 9:19pm On Jan 02, 2015
adedayourt:

In my opinion I think its rather the ones whose parent can aFford skuling abroad nd nt jus mere brilliance only

Yeah! You're right!

And also, those that have opportunity to acquire scholarship

1 Like

Re: 13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Stanleyafam(m): 9:35pm On Jan 02, 2015
FriedPlantain:
Nigerian graduates are unemployable, nigerian graduates are overrated, nigerian graduates are this, they are that.........who the heck are producing the same graduates y'all are castigating? The same set of mofos saying we are unemployable are the same set of guys setting policies affecting us, the same olodo lecturers teaching us jargons in school, the same guys criticizing the efficiency of our curriculum are the same guys that set the phucking curriculum.
A good tree can only be judged by the good fruits it produced......if we the graduates are unemployable, then our lecturers, the minister of education, and every phucking body involved in education in Nigeria are also useless and unemployable!! Lubbish!angry

Friedplantain

Friedplantain my brothertunu!!
Re: 13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by InvertedHammer: 9:39pm On Jan 02, 2015
/
Nigeria graduates are like their counterparts in other countries.
No employee becomes an expert without the requisite experience which is why some firms will let new graduates start off as the "errand person" until he/she gets her legs wet.
The problem is that there are too many graduates pursuing limited positions in Nigeria. And depending on the field, when opportunities exist, nepotism may trump academic performance.
If you are a Southerner and you work in one of the government parastatals, it will break your heart if you see the certificates and academic results of your Northern colleagues from the so-called academic disadvantaged areas. To make it worse, these fellows may end up being the boss. And mediocrity will be recycled.
/
Re: 13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by MightyFortress: 9:58pm On Jan 02, 2015
Interecting
Re: 13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by joywendy(f): 10:15pm On Jan 02, 2015
onegig:

Lol.

Talk about future reference. Maybe you remind him charity begins at home.

lol.

abi now!
Re: 13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Mbediogu(m): 10:39pm On Jan 02, 2015
kinibigdeal:
1. Lack of employability skills (Mr. Kenedy Brake, Formal kokodiagbene Youth leader and director, Brakin resources, Source:www.vanguardngr.com/2014/09/99-todays-graduates-employable/, sept 2014)

2. Failure of school curriculum to place emphasis on practical concepts of entreprenuership/ Too much emphasis on theoretical education than entreprenuership exposure (Prof. Peter Okebukola, Formal ambassador to belgium and Botswana, source: www.punchng.com/news/why-nigerian-graduates-are-not-employable/Punch, April 30,2014)

3. The quality and focus of training offered by the universities were not in tune with the needs of society(Prof. Julius Okojie, NUC executive secretary, Source: www.thebeat99.com/discussion/are-nigerian-graduates-employable-15-04-13)

4. Most of the programmes run in the universities are irrelevant (Prof. Sola Fajana, V.C Ayo babalola University, Source: Daily independent, October 2, 2013)

5. Employers stating job experiences for fresh graduates (Jessica Akano, Dohemy Service, Source: Rubbin minds, Channels television, www.channelstv.com/2014/03/30/nigerian-graduates-are-employable-hr-consultant/)

6. The university lecturers are not retrained i.e They fail to update themselves, so they cannot impact new knowledge (Prof. Mosto Onuoho, Formal technology adviser to shell petroleum Development company (SPDC) Source: www.thisdaylive.com/articles/-why-nigerian-graduates-are-unemployable-/82902/)

7. Lack of basic mental, social practical and developmental skills to function effectively at assigned jobs(Mrs. Alfred, 62 convocation of the university of ibadan, source: P.M Nigeria, Nov 22, 2010)

8. Many Nigerian Youth do not get employment because they do not know how to seek for it. (The Association of chartered certified Accountant (ACCA), thu 6th March, 2014 source:m.allafrica.com/stories/201403060992.html/ hotNigeriajobs.com)

9. The quality of education in Nigeria is low (Prof. Oye ibidapo obe, VC federal university Ndufu-Alike (FUNAI))

10. Most curricula used in the university system today are outdated and no longer in tune with current realities (Abiola Solanke, Source:dailypost.ng/2014/04/21/abiola-solanke-nigerias-educational-system-unemployable-graduates/ Daily post, April 21,2014)

11. Lots of Nigerian graduate are unskilled and there is an urgent need for tertiary education to be equiped with more skills (Jo Beall, Education and society, British council, Source:businessdayonline.com/2014/10/stakeholders-advocate-graduates-employability-skills-upgrade/ Business day, October 21th, 2014)

12. Lack of digital skills and digital creativity (The Nigerian computer society(NCS) source: www.ncs.org.ng Dec 1, 2014)

13. No examiners, supervisors, lecturers were able to detect their low IQ, intelligence when in school (source:thepointernewsonline.com/?p=20903)

The jobs are simply not there. How many expartriates are working in Nigeria now?
Re: 13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jan 02, 2015
Lack of confidence and social skills is also a problem as many find themselves stutterin and fidgetin bfor d panel

1 Like

Re: 13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Akinsnaira: 11:09pm On Jan 02, 2015
Only uninformed fellow will sit down and listen to this hogwash coming from these re.tarded old folks we have in this country. Sitting in the comfort of their offices calling graduates names of all sort, these are the people who got to pick their gigs from many available offers during their time as graduates. They failed to use their privileges to create same opportunities for the coming generation, now resorting to blame game.

And by the way, Nigerian graduates are unemployable they said, does that mean there are enough vacancies out there but employers don't want to recruit because the graduates are just not fit for the jobs? So damning remarks about graduates from them.

These old guard are the major problem we have in this country, because of their unreasonable conservatism and unwillingness to imbibe new ideas. African culture has always seen the youth as economic animals, believing youth are meant to labour and labour at all time, and that is the treatment these people are dishing out to Nigerian graduates, in as much as their own siblings are exempted.

To them, there is cheap revenue from oil that is enough to pay political bigwigs and their cronies, so why wasting time to develop other sectors that will create opportunities for the youth. I just hope the price of crude oil continue to slump till it crashes completely, and the commodity becomes worthless. That is when these "expired brains" will now know the importance of graduates in this country

1 Like

Re: 13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by deavicky(m): 11:15pm On Jan 02, 2015
Mologi:
All this factors na wash.
NO advise to develop or correct this ways

mtcheeeew

na JONATHAN be UNEMPLOYMENT

JAREEEEEEE
mumu nah 4 years ago unemployment start in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: 13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by amosnaira: 11:30pm On Jan 02, 2015
OP. we can only see all these in wicked societies like Nigeria. My questions are, does it mean that the jobs are available but no capable hands to take them, does it mean that their children that are getting employed tru their connections passed through different institutions, do you know that nigerian graduates do very well in higher institutions outside the shores of this country, do you know that in developed world no body is unemployable irrespective of your level of education?
please do not use this to deceive nigerians. there are no jobs in nigeria. Even if nigerians go to oxford to read and come back to this country they are not still employable.
Re: 13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Nobody: 12:34am On Jan 03, 2015
8. Many Nigerian Youth do not get employment because they do not know how to seek for it. (The
Association of chartered certified Accountant (ACCA), thu 6th March, 2014 source:m.allafrica.com/
stories/201403060992.html/ hotNigeriajobs.com)

THIS IS THE SIMPLE REASON. ........ Many Nigerians and including our government and society are largely theoretically based but come and transcribed what you have learnt to providing solutions to real life pragmatic phenomenon ....... na their yawa go gazzz ........

Nigerian government can make policies but implementation is always problem ...... the society can make laws but selflessly complying is always a problem.

we need a government that will reshape our orientation through good governance and national reorientation.
Re: 13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Nobody: 1:21am On Jan 03, 2015
butanep:
you are a big fool... an idiot... for making such correction. You know what he is saying and why the long story.

You guyz don't open thread but criticized others...
Dull brain.

I'd be magnanimous to correct you too for beginning your sentence with a small letter, misapplying the ellipses and for murdering English.

However, the illiterate babble you have up there has put me in a position not to. You are already foaming in the mouth over a matter that's none of your business and I don't want you to have a seizure on me.

Good luck in the labor market with such atrocious grammar.
Re: 13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by dljbd1(m): 7:44am On Jan 03, 2015
Wow!!! Very true.
Education only takes us to the lake but doesn't teach us how to fish. We need entrepreneurial courses incorporated into every subject in our schools and if possible beginning from the secondary level.
Re: 13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by pete4real(m): 8:59am On Jan 03, 2015
True talk no recommendations
Mologi:
All this factors na wash.
NO advise to develop or correct this ways

mtcheeeew

na JONATHAN be UNEMPLOYMENT

JAREEEEEEE
Re: 13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Kessyy2k4(m): 9:06am On Jan 03, 2015
kinibigdeal:
1. Lack of employability skills (Mr. Kenedy Brake, Formal kokodiagbene Youth leader and director, Brakin resources, Source:www.vanguardngr.com/2014/09/99-todays-graduates-employable/, sept 2014)

2. Failure of school curriculum to place emphasis on practical concepts of entreprenuership/ Too much emphasis on theoretical education than entreprenuership exposure (Prof. Peter Okebukola, Formal ambassador to belgium and Botswana, source: www.punchng.com/news/why-nigerian-graduates-are-not-employable/Punch, April 30,2014)

3. The quality and focus of training offered by the universities were not in tune with the needs of society(Prof. Julius Okojie, NUC executive secretary, Source: www.thebeat99.com/discussion/are-nigerian-graduates-employable-15-04-13)

4. Most of the programmes run in the universities are irrelevant (Prof. Sola Fajana, V.C Ayo babalola University, Source: Daily independent, October 2, 2013)

5. Employers stating job experiences for fresh graduates (Jessica Akano, Dohemy Service, Source: Rubbin minds, Channels television, www.channelstv.com/2014/03/30/nigerian-graduates-are-employable-hr-consultant/)

6. The university lecturers are not retrained i.e They fail to update themselves, so they cannot impact new knowledge (Prof. Mosto Onuoho, Formal technology adviser to shell petroleum Development company (SPDC) Source: www.thisdaylive.com/articles/-why-nigerian-graduates-are-unemployable-/82902/)

7. Lack of basic mental, social practical and developmental skills to function effectively at assigned jobs(Mrs. Alfred, 62 convocation of the university of ibadan, source: P.M Nigeria, Nov 22, 2010)

8. Many Nigerian Youth do not get employment because they do not know how to seek for it. (The Association of chartered certified Accountant (ACCA), thu 6th March, 2014 source:m.allafrica.com/stories/201403060992.html/ hotNigeriajobs.com)

9. The quality of education in Nigeria is low (Prof. Oye ibidapo obe, VC federal university Ndufu-Alike (FUNAI))

10. Most curricula used in the university system today are outdated and no longer in tune with current realities (Abiola Solanke, Source:dailypost.ng/2014/04/21/abiola-solanke-nigerias-educational-system-unemployable-graduates/ Daily post, April 21,2014)

11. Lots of Nigerian graduate are unskilled and there is an urgent need for tertiary education to be equiped with more skills (Jo Beall, Education and society, British council, Source:businessdayonline.com/2014/10/stakeholders-advocate-graduates-employability-skills-upgrade/ Business day, October 21th, 2014)

12. Lack of digital skills and digital creativity (The Nigerian computer society(NCS) source: www.ncs.org.ng Dec 1, 2014)

13. No examiners, supervisors, lecturers were able to detect their low IQ, intelligence when in school (source:thepointernewsonline.com/?p=20903)
if u look critically at 13 points highted above, u will see each author of each articles are lectures (professor) why cant they change things within their respective universities, instead of coming out with a critizing article
.all d prof shud berry their head in shames

#naughty professorgrin
Re: 13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by usgee: 9:46am On Jan 03, 2015
FriedPlantain:

Friedplantain
On point. You cant be more accurate than this. If the reasons are really from all those referenced, who are either University VC's or former VC's or educationist, then they should all be ashamed to spew out such nonsense. Again, it is insulting and senseless that some of the comments were at a convocation ceremony. Point 3 is so annoying coming from someone in the university regulatory body.
Re: 13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by butanep(m): 10:26am On Jan 03, 2015
olukenzo:

I'd be magnanimous to correct you too for beginning your sentence with a small letter, misapplying the ellipses and for murdering English.

However, the illiterate babble you have up there has put me in a position not to. You are already foaming in the mouth over a matter that's none of your business and I don't want you to have a seizure on me.

Good luck in the labor market with such atrocious grammar.
I will still say it again and again... You have a dull brain... A very dull and stagnant brain. You guyz just still and begin to say nonsense...

Correcting English doesn't show you are intelligent or smart or superior.... If you think you are intelligent, open a mind blowing thread that will transform the mind of others, then I will know you are good.
STUPID IDIOT
Re: 13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Nobody: 11:24am On Jan 03, 2015
butanep:
I will still say it again and again... You have a dull brain... A very dull and stagnant brain. You guyz just still and begin to say nonsense...

Correcting English doesn't show you are intelligent or smart or superior.... If you think you are intelligent, open a mind blowing thread that will transform the mind of others, then I will know you are good.
STUPID IDIOT

Some of us come here for the pure entertainment that being here is. So, why would I wanna get in a competition with you. You, the classmate of the youngest of my siblings. You're still virtually in diapers.

On another note, I am glad to note I have imparted sth on you. You no longer write like a blockhead and you have started paying better attention to your grammar.

For your own benefit, I hope you keep it up such that you can have brighter prospects in the labour market.

BTW, I still noted some grammatical somersaults here and there. But you're learning. I recommend brighter grammar.
Re: 13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Feraz(m): 11:45am On Jan 03, 2015
AreaFada2:
The first reason is that jobs are very few.

If jobs were abundant, employers would be willing to train and retrain.

They should be talking about lack of self-employment training in tertiary insitutions.
Self-employment should be a module taken throughout the course:

Self-Employment 101 to 505 as the case maybe. With experts who have created own jobs and succeeded drafted in as instructors.
This I love. To be honest, the entrepreneurial courses taken in universities most times are not taken serious by the lectures themselves. They ignore coming to class, even if they come, they dictate exactly what is in the textbook - like students can't read again.... I mean, it's annoying.
Re: 13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by butanep(m): 12:32pm On Jan 03, 2015
olukenzo:

Some of us come here for the pure entertainment that being here is. So, why would I wanna get in a competition with you. You, the classmate of the youngest of my siblings. You're still virtually in diapers.

On another note, I am glad to note I have imparted sth on you. You no longer write like a blockhead and you have started paying better attention to your grammar.

For your own benefit, I hope you keep it up such that you can have brighter prospects in the labour market.

BTW, I still noted some grammatical somersaults here and there. But you're learning. I recommend brighter grammar.
Take it or leave it, You have a very dull brain. It's so easy to know. No wonder the few thread you have open never attracted comment from anyone.
I will urge you to be more creative. Creativity pays. I can help you to be more creative only if you will be loyal to my principles...

Silly toddler
Re: 13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Nobody: 12:50pm On Jan 03, 2015
butanep:
Take it or leave it, You have a very dull brain. It's so easy to know. No wonder the few thread you have open never attracted comment from anyone.
I will urge you to be more creative. Creativity pays. I can help you to be more creative only if you will be loyal to my principles...

Silly toddler

Young man, I told you we are not in a competition. You're punching above your weight. Don't kill yourself.

My last response to you. Get a job.
Re: 13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by butanep(m): 1:21pm On Jan 03, 2015
olukenzo:

Young man, I told you we are not in a competition. You're punching above your weight. Don't kill yourself.

My last response to you. Get a job.
I think you are the jobless fellow...

My creativity fetch me good jobs... I can help you if you need one...

Next time be diplomatic in your approach...all the best...
Re: 13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by SenatorJames(m): 4:35pm On Jan 03, 2015
Its only in Nigeria we will be doing same thing, same way and expect a change. Nigeria graduates are the result of the educational system they find themselves. Even the students are really trying (performing and creating awesome things from the poor leaning condition), apart from the lazy ones that major on minor and minor on major (social media, cultism, e.t.c.).
Re: 13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jan 03, 2015
Now you're angry.
olukenzo:

It must also be the reason why you've purposely quoted me just to write like a semi retard

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Experience Today As An Applicant. / CBN (central Bank Of Nigeria) 2nd Recruitment 2012, Latest Massive Job Vacancies / Test Venues For 2014 NNPC Recruitment Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.