Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,108 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:05 AM

10 Interesting Facts About The Internet - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / 10 Interesting Facts About The Internet (2251 Views)

Aviation: Interesting Facts About Pilots, Airports And Airlines. / Some Interesting Facts About Mining And Earth's Ocean. / Some Interesting Facts About The Solar System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Interesting Facts About The Internet by Lordmykel(m): 6:33pm On Jan 01, 2015
There are 7 people in the world who hold the “key to the internet.” If in the event of a major catastrophe the internet is shut down these key holders will together be able to reboot an integral part of the system.

Nowadays we have Mozilla Firefox & Internet Explorer but the very first widely popular web browser was Mosaic which was available from 1993 and discontinued in 1997 when i was born.

The internet accrued 50 million users in just 5 years. It took TV 13 years to do that.

20% of the world’s population, that is over 1 billion people, are internet users.

A surfing session lasts on average just under an hour for most people – 51 minutes to be exact.

75% of Swedish people use the internet making them the country with the largest percentage of internet users.

With satellite based internet now available there is no country in the world that cannot access the internet although Governments in certain countries still continue to severely restrict its use. In North Korea only Government officials and named officers have access to the net and China is famous for restricting its public’s access to certain sites.

People who use social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter will use 10% of their entire life time on these sites.

As a continent Asia has the largest number of internet users at 42% and this looks set for massive growth as infiltration of the net is still at 20%, meaning 80% is still not using it.

19% of married couples meet online, making it the most successful method for meeting the “one.” Following an online introduction the most successful methods for meeting a future wife or husband continues to be through work or friends, with each of these methods getting 17% of married couples together.

[color= red]SOURCE: http://www.londoncitygirlmagazine.com/article/10-interesting-facts-about-internet[/color]
Re: 10 Interesting Facts About The Internet by saaedlee: 6:34pm On Jan 01, 2015
10, So true
Re: 10 Interesting Facts About The Internet by Princecalm(m): 6:55pm On Jan 01, 2015
@op, I would have love it more if you name those seven people that holds the key to the internet.
Re: 10 Interesting Facts About The Internet by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jan 01, 2015
Princecalm:
@op, I would have love it more if you name those seven people that holds the key to the internet.
Yeah! It's kind of weird tho'. I read an article relating to that not too long ago and it gave details of some kind of yearly ceremony they perform. A ritual off some sorts. That's really crazy if you ask me.
Re: 10 Interesting Facts About The Internet by Princecalm(m): 7:19pm On Jan 01, 2015
Brandnew2:

Yeah! It's kind of weird tho'. I read an article relating to that not too long ago and it gave details of some kind of yearly ceremony they perform. A ritual off some sorts. That's really crazy if you ask me.

yea, those guys are not ordinary.
Re: 10 Interesting Facts About The Internet by Beesluv: 7:36pm On Jan 01, 2015
Good
Re: 10 Interesting Facts About The Internet by alentyno: 8:01pm On Jan 01, 2015
Brandnew2:

Many unspeakable things go on behind the scene but many people are not aware of them
Re: 10 Interesting Facts About The Internet by Lordmykel(m): 9:27pm On Jan 01, 2015
Princecalm:
Brandnew2:

Princecalm:
yea, those guys are not ordinary.
alentyno:

Many unspeakable things go on behind the scene but many people are not aware of them
The seven people who holds the key to the internet.
1. Dan Kaminsky from USA
2. Paul Kane from the U.K.
3. Bevil Wooding from Trinidad
4. Tobego, Jiankang Yao of China,
5. Moussa Guebre from Burkina Faso,
6. Norm Ritchie of Canada, and
7. Ondrej Sury of the Czech Republic.
Re: 10 Interesting Facts About The Internet by Princecalm(m): 10:39pm On Jan 01, 2015
Lordmykel:

The seven people who holds the key to the internet.

1. Dan Kaminsky from USA
2. Paul Kane from the U.K.
3. Bevil Wooding from Trinidad
4. Tobego, Jiankang Yao of China,
5. Moussa Guebre from Burkina Faso,
6. Norm Ritchie of Canada, and
7. Ondrej Sury of the Czech Republic.
they represent each continent i guess.
Re: 10 Interesting Facts About The Internet by Lordmykel(m): 1:48am On Jan 02, 2015
Princecalm:
Almost
so which one represents antactica??
Re: 10 Interesting Facts About The Internet by Princecalm(m): 11:56am On Jan 02, 2015
Lordmykel:
so which one represents antactica??
Antartica have no representative there, we have two European countries in the list.
Re: 10 Interesting Facts About The Internet by Lordmykel(m): 12:15pm On Jan 02, 2015
Princecalm:
Antartica have no representative there, we have two European countries in the list.

partiality.. Polar bears are not smiling
Re: 10 Interesting Facts About The Internet by Princecalm(m): 12:35pm On Jan 02, 2015
Lordmykel:

partiality.. Polar bears are not smiling
lol... Let them go and rest, men are talking.
Re: 10 Interesting Facts About The Internet by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jan 02, 2015
Princecalm:
I heard Seun Osewa is replacing the guy from Burkina Faso. Lol! cheesy
Re: 10 Interesting Facts About The Internet by Princecalm(m): 5:05pm On Jan 02, 2015
There are more guruz out there
Brandnew2:

I heard Seun Osewa is replacing the guy from Burkina Faso. Lol! cheesy
Re: 10 Interesting Facts About The Internet by SirVictory: 7:17pm On Jan 02, 2015
Nice but I don't agree with #6 and #8
Re: 10 Interesting Facts About The Internet by Lordmykel(m): 10:16pm On Jan 03, 2015
SirVictory:
Nice but I don't agree with #6 and #8

#6... so true and its a fact

#8... When you get addicted
Re: 10 Interesting Facts About The Internet by donnaira(m): 3:41pm On Jan 05, 2015
Princecalm:
likewise north America has two
Re: 10 Interesting Facts About The Internet by Nmeri17: 6:56am On Jan 06, 2015
alentyno:

what sort of things nnaa??
Re: 10 Interesting Facts About The Internet by alentyno: 7:44am On Jan 07, 2015
Nmeri17:

what sort of things nnaa??
'no be my mouth you go hear am o'

just know that you should be very careful with the way you give out you personal infos

everything is being spyed 24/7!
Re: 10 Interesting Facts About The Internet by Nmeri17: 8:04am On Jan 07, 2015
alentyno:

'no be my mouth you go hear am o'

just know that you should be very careful with the way you give out you personal infos

everything is being spyed 24/7!

its almost laughable. dyu know how much info is being passed by millions of individuals as we speak?? who will keep track of all of that and why would they do that??
Re: 10 Interesting Facts About The Internet by alentyno: 8:45am On Jan 07, 2015
Nmeri17:

its almost laughable. dyu know how much info is being passed by millions of individuals as we speak?? who will keep track of all of that and why would they do that??
i laugh in mandarin!

Oh you have no idea!

Start from google!
Re: 10 Interesting Facts About The Internet by Nmeri17: 11:22am On Jan 07, 2015
alentyno:

i laugh in mandarin!

Oh you have no idea!

Start from google!

I sounded naive on purpose so yu can explain yourself properly. but instead you're referring me to Google. smh
Re: 10 Interesting Facts About The Internet by Khodex: 4:06pm On Jan 07, 2015
Nice One.. Kudos.....
Re: 10 Interesting Facts About The Internet by TacoROM: 11:10am On Jan 14, 2015
Very interesting.
Re: 10 Interesting Facts About The Internet by Positivist: 9:40pm On Jan 14, 2015
Meanwhile,

How to Create a Website Yourself in 30 Minutes http:///1tdEvalEm

(1) (Reply)

Czech Locksmith Builds Plane To Fly To Work 10 Miles Away / The Fastest Way To Load Recharge Card / Meet The World’s Hottest Hacker (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.