Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,112 members, 7,860,026 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 12:17 AM

Emotional Honesty - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Emotional Honesty (1015 Views)

21 Tell Tale Signs Of Emotional Abuse in marriage / He/she Is 'just A Friend'.12 Signs Of An Emotional Infidelity / When Women Use Tears For Emotional Blackmail. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Emotional Honesty by assignment(m): 11:10pm On Dec 13, 2008
Emotional honesty means expressing your true feelings. To be able to be emotionally honest we must first be emotionally aware. This emotional awareness is related to our emotional intelligence. It is our emotional intelligence which gives us the ability to accurately identify our feelings.

Emotional intelligence may also give us the ability to decide when it is in our best interest to be emotionally honest by sharing our real feelings. There are times when it is not healthy or safe for us to be emotionally honest. In general though, I believe we would be better off individually and as a society if we would be more emotionally honest.

If we are more emotionally honest with ourselves we will get to know our "true selves" on a deeper level. This could help us become more self-accepting. It could also helps us make better choices about how to spend out time and who to spend it with.

If we are emotionally honest with others, it may encourage them to be more emotionally honest. When we are emotionally honest we are more likely not to be asked or pressured to do things which we do not want to do. We will also find out sooner who respects our feelings.
Re: Emotional Honesty by HRhotness(f): 1:15am On Dec 14, 2008
I totally agree. . . with most things anyway

assignment:

If we are emotionally honest with others, it may encourage them to be more emotionally honest. When we are emotionally honest we are more likely not to be asked or pressured to do things which we do not want to do. We will also find out sooner who respects our feelings.

I hav been called all kinds of crazy just becos i let pple knw what i feel. . . I am yet to meet someone who can handle it and appreciates it. . . i ususally get one or d other, and even then i can still see d struggle to accept it as d way i am.

they ususally either brush it aside as d rantings of an insane person or basically not take it seriously. . . it takes some getting used to!
Re: Emotional Honesty by assignment(m): 2:27am On Dec 14, 2008
We wear a mask that grins and lies
It hides our cheeks and shades our eyes
This debt we pay to human guile
With torn and bleeding hearts we smile.

From the above statement, it is a considered view that, men don't express themselves d way they feel. Because It takes emotional awareness, self-confidence, even courage to be emotionally honest.

This is because, in many ways, society teaches us to ignore, repress, deny and lie about our feelings. For example, when asked how we feel, most of us will reply "fine" or "good," even if that is not true. Often, people will also say that they are not angry or not defensive, when it is obvious that they are.

Children start out emotionally honest. They express their true feelings freely and spontaneously. But the training to be emotionally dishonest begins at an early age. Parents and teachers frequently encourage or even demand that children speak or act in ways which are inconsistent with the child's true feelings. The child is told to smile when actually she is sad. She is told to apologize when she feels no regret. She is told to say "thank you," when she feels no appreciation. She is told to "stop complaining" when she feels mistreated. She may be told to kiss people good night when she would never do so voluntarily. She may be told it is "rude" and "selfish" to protest being forced to act in ways which go against her feelings.

From the foregoing, you would see that there is a lot to be done most especially how children are brought up which if not properly done, it could make such children to become men pleasers when they grow up with low self esteem and the likes.

So, it's high time we started putting first thing first and in any relationship we found ourselves, we should be an advocate of Emotional Honesty. If everyone is honest emotionally then our level of productivity and commitment would be graetly affceted in a positive. The resultant effect will be peace in the whole wide world. Also, every element of assumption would be eliminated from our consciousness as individuals, group of individuals andcountries at large.

I believe the above submission is acceptable with regards to the subject matter.

Thank you for your comment.

You will succeed!
Re: Emotional Honesty by ifyalways(f): 3:35pm On Dec 14, 2008
. . . . Most peeps become dishonest and along the line loose sense of themselves because they are trying so hard to fight who they are,fighting not to be called abnormal or weird.Too bad sad
HR.hotness:

I totally agree. . . with most things anyway

I hav been called all kinds of crazy just because i let people knw what i feel. . . I am yet to meet someone who can handle it and appreciates it. . . i ususally get one or d other, and even then i can still see d struggle to accept it as d way i am.

they ususally either brush it aside as d rantings of an insane person or basically not take it seriously. . . it takes some getting used to!
true !
I would stick to myself anyday anytime,to hell with anyone feels or thinks.
we can only have a well balanced relationship when we learn to accept our partners totally . . . .the kraze,the weird things and seemingly abnormal things.
Re: Emotional Honesty by iice(f): 4:27pm On Dec 14, 2008
True. . .
I try to be emotionally honest with people (with myself is a no brainer) but some people don't usually take well to that grin Some respond well initially then they want to change me rofl.
This does not mean that i have to tell anyone anything and everything about me. I've passed the age of being naive.
Re: Emotional Honesty by olanajim(m): 5:00pm On Dec 14, 2008
Well, well, assignment!

While it is good, it is not everyone that can be emotionally honest. This is because, somewhere between birth and maturity, man would have underwent series of experiences that would shape his life for as long as he is emotionally handicapped.

Yes, you have to know that emotional handicap is one reason many can't align themselves with their emotion. Until a man is honest to himself, he can't be honest to others.

Certain factor hamper emotional honesty: fear, poor selfimage, ignorance, self doubt etc. A man with one of more of these will definitely be emotionally dishonest, sometimes, or everytime.
Re: Emotional Honesty by Angolobabe(f): 10:07am On Dec 17, 2008
alot of people dont take it well when ur emotionally honest with them.
Re: Emotional Honesty by yam: 11:32am On Dec 17, 2008
I TOTALLY DIS AGREE WITH assignment on this points.it is immaturity to express fellings any time you feel

Children start out emotionally honest. They express their true feelings freely and spontaneously. But the training to be emotionally dishonest begins at an early age. Parents and teachers frequently encourage or even demand that children speak or act in ways which are inconsistent with the child's true feelings. The child is told to smile when actually she is sad. She is told to apologize when she feels no regret. She is told to say "thank you," when she feels no appreciation. She is told to "stop complaining" when she feels mistreated. She may be told to kiss people good night when she would never do so voluntarily. She may be told it is "rude" and "selfish" to protest being forced to act in ways which go against her feelings.

From the foregoing, you would see that there is a lot to be done most especially how children are brought up which if not properly done, it could make such children to become men pleasers when they grow up with low self esteem .

(1) (Reply)

Marriage Is The Most Wonderful Relationship God Ever Created! / Moderators And Especially Pyguru,i Need Ur Attention Pls Read / Post A Pictures Of Shady Maids, Nanny And Drivers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.