Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,462 members, 7,819,686 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:52 PM

Reasons Why We Should Not Celebrate Milaad Un Nabawiy (the Prophet Birthday)! - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Reasons Why We Should Not Celebrate Milaad Un Nabawiy (the Prophet Birthday)! (6169 Views)

Mawlid Al-nabi (the Prophet’s Birthday) / "Reasons Why You Should Not Celebrate Maulud Nabiyy: Supposed Prophet's Birthday / Did The Prophet Warn Us Of ISIS? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why We Should Not Celebrate Milaad Un Nabawiy (the Prophet Birthday)! by Nobody: 10:57pm On Jan 03, 2015
As salam alaikum warahmotullah wa barakatuhu.

Alhamdulillah Robil Aalaamee, we are in the month of Rabbiul awwal, which is the month when our Noble Prophet, the Master of all Masters, the Noblest of all Nobles, our Prophet Muhammod - salal Allahu alayhi wa salam - was born. But all over the world, they have turned this month into a celebration of some sort, the celebration we all refer to "Moulud Nabiyy".

Our prophet when he was alived, he did not celebrate this day,nor was he celebrated by his Sahaba after his demise. So what's now our problem of doin what the salafis didn't do.

Below are some cogent reasons why we should not celebrate Milad un Nabawiy.

1. "Milad" (birthday) is not in Islamic shariah, it was later introduced by the Shia Fatimd in Egypt.

2. Historians differed about the date of birth of Prophet Muhammod (s.a.w.s). Some said it's Ramadan, some in Shaban and some in Rabiul awwal.

3. Birthday celebrations have pagan roots, celebrating birthday is not allowed at all.

4. The celebration is neither from sunnah nor Qur'an. Anything that is not part of these two can not be part of islam.

5. Prophet s.a.w.s said, "stick to my sunnah and the sunnah of my rightly guided caliphs, beware of newly invented matters, for every new matter is a Bid'ah and every Bid'ah is misleading." (Trimidhi 2676).

6. Allah says in surah Al Maidah,ayah 3. "This day, I have perfected your religion for you." when Islam is perfect and complete, then who gave the authority to these people to introduce new concepts in Islam?

7. Celebrating 'Milaad' is imitations of Christians and Jews. Jews celebrate birthday of Uzair, while Christians celebrate birthday of Isa (A.s).

8. Prophet Muhammod (s.a.w.s) said, " whoever imitates a sect or people becomes one of them". (Abu Dawood).

9. Prophet Muhammod also said, "be different from Mushrikeen (the Unbelievers)." (Sahih muslim).

10. Prophet Muhammod(s.a.w.s) again said, "Do not exaggerate in praising me".
Wa Allahu Ahlam.

I Pray Allah increase our Eeman and guide us to the right path. Aameen

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why We Should Not Celebrate Milaad Un Nabawiy (the Prophet Birthday)! by Occurstaem(m): 12:24am On Jan 04, 2015
Jazakumullah Khairan @ Creator of Topic(C of T).
Some people are just blind to the truth. It breaks my heart when i see some Muslims copying other religion acts that has no basis and evidence in Islam. Some ignorant Muslims even went as far as celebrating Gregorian new year, some even gathered in the mosques on the eve of it.THIS IS ABSOLUTELY BID'AH. PLEASE I AM BEGGING YOU PEOPLE TO STOP COMPLICATING THIS PERFECT ISLAM. PLEASE FOR ALLAH'S SAKE!!!

I would like to add these too:
Greeting them(christians) "Happy New Year" is allowed but not celebrating it with them.
When i greet a christian "Happy New Year" and he/she says "I Wish You The Same" , i will just say "Please Don't Wish Me The Same Now, Wish Me The Same When It's New Hijrah Year" .
There are only three festive days in Islam. .1.Eid-l-fitr .2.Eid-l-adha .3. Jum'ah days.
MUSLIMS JUST NEED TO BE ENLIGHTEN MORE ABOUT ISLAM. WE CAN DO OUR OWN BIT BY SHARING THE MESSAGE WITH OUR FELLOW BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN ISLAM.
May Allah guide us and them on the right path.AAMIIIN.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why We Should Not Celebrate Milaad Un Nabawiy (the Prophet Birthday)! by Nobody: 4:30am On Jan 04, 2015
Occurstaem:
Some people are just blind to the truth. It breaks my heart when i see some Muslims copying other religion acts that has no basis and evidence in Islam. Some ignorant Muslims even went as far as celebrating Gregorian new year, some even gathered in the mosques on the eve of it.THIS IS ABSOLUTELY BID'AH. PLEASE I AM BEGGING YOU PEOPLE TO STOP COMPLICATING THIS PERFECT ISLAM. PLEASE FOR ALLAH'S SAKE!!!

Greeting them(christians) "Happy New Year" is allowed but not celebrating it with them.
When i greet a christian "Happy New Year" and he/she says "I Wish You The Same" , i will just say "Please Don't Wish Me The Same Now, Wish Me The Same When It's New Hijrah Year" .
There are only three festive days in Islam. .1.Eid-l-fitr .2.Eid-l-adha .3. Jum'ah days.
MUSLIMS JUST NEED TO BE ENLIGHTEN MORE ABOUT ISLAM. WE CAN DO OUR OWN BIT BY SHARING THE MESSAGE WITH OUR FELLOW BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN ISLAM.

jazaakumllah khairan....well said.
Re: Reasons Why We Should Not Celebrate Milaad Un Nabawiy (the Prophet Birthday)! by MrOlai: 9:47am On Jan 04, 2015
@OP. Jazakumullah khaeran.
Re: Reasons Why We Should Not Celebrate Milaad Un Nabawiy (the Prophet Birthday)! by kemiola89(f): 2:58pm On Jan 04, 2015
Occurstaem:

Ameen!
Some Muslims now interprets Islam in the context to align with the philosophies of others thereby introducing bi'dah, forgetting the warnings of the Prophet about imitation. May Allah make us true and sincere Muslims.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why We Should Not Celebrate Milaad Un Nabawiy (the Prophet Birthday)! by AlBaqir(m): 9:54pm On Jan 04, 2015
2undexy:
As salam alaikum warahmotullah wa barakatuhu.

Alhamdulillah Robil Aalaamee, we are in the month of Rabbiul awwal, which is the month when our Noble Prophet, the Master of all Masters, the Noblest of all Nobles, our Prophet Muhammod - salal Allahu alayhi wa salam - was born. But all over the world, they have turned this month into a celebration of some sort, the celebration we all refer to "Moulud Nabiyy".

Wa alaykum salam...

It is very interesting that you started with a form of Bid'ah (innovation) yourself @underline. And really that is what is common among the Scholars and followers at large. What is commanded, practiced and documented is to send salawat to Muhammad and his household (ahl al-bayt), not him ALONE.

Allamah al-Albani (d. 1420H) save us time and writes:
"You have known from our previous discussions that in ALL METHODS of making salat upon the prophet , peace be upon him, there is mention of his Ahl al-bayt and his family. This is why it is incorrect to make salat upon him, peace be upon him, ALONE. Rather, one must attach the family to him..."
~ Muhammad Nasir al-Din al-Albani, 'As Sifat al-Salat al-Nabi, vol. 3 p. 933

NB: Observe al-Albani himself failed to practice what he preach. Such is the age-long, deep-rooted Bid'ah. For more correspondence, read here:
www.nairaland.com/1839301/sending-salat-salam-prophets-family

2undexy:

Our prophet when he was alived, he did not celebrate this day,

Can you provide any evidence that the noble Prophet (peace be on him and his household) did not celebrate his day of birth?

First, it is crystal clear that not everything on everything is documented in the so-called "Books of hadith and seerah". What is only documented is that the holy Prophet (peace be on him and his household) mark his day of birth by fasting. Nothing else was recorded apart from this, but it doesn't mean he doesn't engaged in other activities to mark his day of birth.

Second, we need to define the word "celebration" esp in its use as regard the phrase "Mawlud Nabiyy Celebration". It is sad to insinuate the word "celebration" in the context of western and christian form of celebration. However, Qur'an teaches how to "celebrate". We shall treat that shortly.

2undexy:

nor was he celebrated by his Sahaba after his demise. So what's now our problem of doin what the salafis didn't do.

Imam Shafi'i saves us time here, he writes:
"Anything that has a foundation in religious law is not an innovation even if the Companions did not do it, because their refraining from doing it might have been for a certain excuse they had at the time, or they left it for something better, or perhaps not all of them knew about it."

Let's Consider The Case of "RadiAllahu Anhum"

It is a usual custom among muslim Ummah from Scholars to students to say after the name of any sahaba is mentioned: "RadiAllahu anhum". Alas! Despite the fact that Allah revealed the phrase in several places in the Qur'an for righteous among the sahaba, despite the fact that the holy Prophet (peace be on him and his household) read and re-read it many years before he died, despite the fact that the sahaba themselves read and read it, there is NO a single commanded whether in the Qur'an or by the Prophet or by the sahaba that we, the muslim ummah should say the phrase once the name of sahaba is mentioned.

Likewise there is not a single documentation that the holy prophet ever say the phrase whenever he mentioned the name of any companion. And also, no companion has ever been reported to have say it when the name of a compatriot companion is mentioned.

So by default it is a Bid'ah (innovation). But the fact that there is a root for it in the Qur'an where Allah used it for righteous companions, our senses complied that if we use the phrase also after the name of a righteous sahaba is mentioned is like following the 'sunnah (practice) of Allah'. Therefore, nothing wrong in doing so.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why We Should Not Celebrate Milaad Un Nabawiy (the Prophet Birthday)! by AlBaqir(m): 10:13pm On Jan 04, 2015
2undexy:

Below are some cogent reasons why we should not celebrate Milad un Nabawiy.

1. "Milad" (birthday) is not in Islamic shariah, it was later introduced by the Shia Fatimd in Egypt.

Why do you think its not in Islamic shariah? Sharia is composed of *Qur'an *Hadith and *The consensus of Scholars.

1. Allah's Sunnat is to send Salam to His Prophets on the day of their birth (Milad).
Nabi Yahya and Nabi Isa (alaihima salam) received Allah's bounty of Salam on their respective day of birth, (death and ressurection). ~sura Maryam verse 15 and 33.

By default, believers are commanded "Obey/Follow Allah". Believers were commanded to send Salawat, praise on the holy Prophet (peace be on him and his household) but the timing is not specified. Meaning it could be at anytime and at all time. However, in addition, Allah gave example of sending Salam to his Prophet on their Birthday, and the Prophet urged us to send lots of Salam to him on Friday being a day our deeds are submitted to him.

2. THE DAYS OF ALLAH

Qur'an, sura Ibrahim: 5
"And We certainly sent Moses with Our signs, [saying], "Bring out your people from darkness into the light and remind them of the days of Allah." Indeed in that are signs for everyone patient and grateful."

Hafiz Ibn Kathir and Qadi Shawkani write that:
"The day of Allah” refers to the day on which Allah Almighty has done a favour on mankind. For example, the freedom of Bani Isra’il from the slavery of Fir’awn. [Tafsir Ibn Kathir and Qaadee Shawkaanee]

Allah’s greatest favour on mankind was the birth of the Prophet [peace be on him and his household]. This means that the Milaad of the Prophet [peace be on him and his household] is a “Day of Allah”, therefore we should remember it.

The Holy Prophet (peace be upon him and his household) is called "Rahmatan lil alameen (mercy unto the universe)" therefore the day of his birth is among the "Days of Allah".

2undexy:

2. Historians differed about the date of birth of Prophet Muhammod (s.a.w.s). Some said it's Ramadan, some in Shaban and some in Rabiul awwal.

This is a fallacy. Where the difference lies among historian is the actual day not month. Some says he was born on the 12th while other says it was on the 17th of Rabiul awwal.

2undexy:

3. Birthday celebrations have pagan roots, celebrating birthday is not allowed at all.

Again you are insinuating the Pagan form of "celebration" and that's an absurdity as far as Mawlud Nabiyy is concern.

Following are what is commanded by the Qur'an:
* Sending Salam

* Remembrance/Commemoration

NB: In sura Maryam, Allah commanded "Remember...Remember...Remember...so-so-so" among His Prophets and saints. Allah however, commanded they should be remembered through their virtues and struggles in the ways of Allah. So on the day of Mawlud Nabiyy, we talk among family, friends, brothers and brethren (in faith), the exalted character and virtue of the holy Prophet and also we talk about his struggle throughout his 23years of propagating Allah's mission.

* Other meritorious acts like giving sadaqa, visiting friends and family members etc are done.

Are these Pagan ways of celebrating Birthday?

2undexy:

4. The celebration is neither from sunnah nor Qur'an. Anything that is not part of these two can not be part of islam.

Alhamdulillah we've seen a lot being part of Qur'an and sunnag in Mawlud Nabiyy celebration.

2undexy:

5. Prophet s.a.w.s said, "stick to my sunnah and the sunnah of my rightly guided caliphs, beware of newly invented matters, for every new matter is a Bid'ah and every Bid'ah is misleading" (Trimidhi 2676).

@bold, Imam Bukhari and Imam Muslim documented the saying of the holy prophet (peace be on him and his household) in this regard: “He who innovates something that is not in agreement with our matter(religion), will have it rejected.” ~Bukhari, Vol. 3, Book 49, No. 861

This above-mentioned hadith^ clarify the following hadith which says:"...Beware of newly invented matters, for ALL invented matter is an innovation (bid'ah) and every innovation is misguidance, and all misguidance is in Hell-fire.”

Here the "Bid'ah (innovation)" that is being refer to and condemned are those with NO conformity or harmony with the principles of Islam.

2undexy:

6. Allah says in surah Al Maidah,ayah 3. "This day, I have perfected your religion for you." when Islam is perfect and complete, then who gave the authority to these people to introduce new concepts in Islam?

Truth is the word of Allah, even if we cannot comprehend it. It is obvious not ALL things are mentioned in exactly by name in the Qur'an. Yet we boast nothing is excluded by the Qur'an. The evidence of our boasting is the comprehension and interpretation of the Qur'an thereby Islam is able to give verdict and solution to ALL things.

Interestingly, "Birthday", "Remembrance and commemoration of the past Prophets/Saints are mentioned in the Qur'an

2undexy:

7. Celebrating 'Milaad' is imitations of Christians and Jews. Jews celebrate birthday of Uzair, while Christians celebrate birthday of Isa (A.s).

Sheik Ibn Taymiyyah saves us a lot of time here.

Ibn Taymiyya's opinion about Mawlid from the Collected Fatwas, Majma' Fatawa ibn Taymiyya (vol. 23, p. 163) and his lqtida' al-sirat al-mustaqim (p. 294-295) in the section entitled "The innovated festivities of time and place" (ma uhditha min al-a'yad al-zamaniyya wa al-makaniyya):

"And similarly what some people innovate by analogy with the Christians who celebrate the birth of Jesus, or out of love for the Prophet and to exalt him, and Allah may reward them for this love and effort, not on the fact that it is an innovation... To celebrate and to honor the birth of the Prophet and to take it as an honored season, as some of the people are doing, is good and in it there is a great reward, because of their good intentions in honoring the Prophet."

2undexy:

8. Prophet Muhammod (s.a.w.s) said, " whoever imitates a sect or people becomes one of them". (Abu Dawood).

So has the Prophet became one of the Jews as these hadith revealed? :

Narrated Ibn Abbas:
The holy prophet entered Madina and saw the Jews fasting on the day of Ashura. He asked them: "What is the significance of this day on which you fast?"
They replied, "This is a good day, the day on which God rescued the children of Israel from their enemy. So, Moses fasted this day." He (saw) then said, "We have more claim over Moses than you." He then fasted on that day and ordered Muslims too.”

~Ref: Sahih al-Bukhari, vol. 3 Book 31, Hadith 222;

~Sahih Muslim- chapter: Fasting on the Day of Ashura, Book 13 Hadith 164, Book 6 Hadith2520

In a similar version:
"Some of the companions exclaimed 'O Messenger of God! It is a day which the Jews and the Christian hold in high esteem. Thereupon the messenger of
God said: 'When the next year comes, God willing, we would observe fast on the 9th’. But the messenger of God died before the advent of the year."

~Ref: Sahih Muslim, chapter: Fasting on the Day of Ashura, Book 13 Hadith 172 & 173; Book 6 Hadith 2528 &2529.

There's nothing bad in 'imitating' so long its a good act and has root in the Quran and Sunnah. And whatever evil acts there is in it can be replace by good acts. Islam is not a fanatical religion.

2undexy:

9. Prophet Muhammod also said, "be different from Mushrikeen (the Unbelievers)." (Sahih muslim).

Truth is the word of Rasool (peace be on him and his household). Muslims have nothing to do with the Mushrikun. Jews and Christian are not Mushrikun. Qur'an says only a part among them became Mushrikun. (Suwar Al-Imran, Nisai, Bayyina etc)

2undexy:

10. Prophet Muhammod(s.a.w.s) again said, "Do not exaggerate in praising me".

The full hadith is:

"Do not exaggerate about me as the christian exagerated about Isa, son of Mary"

It is obvious many do not comprehend the meaning of this hadith. This hadith has nothing to do with Mawlud Nabiyy celebration rather it is a warning to the Ummah (Muslim community).

But the question is How does the christian exaggerated Nabi Isa (as)? Qur'an in many places exposed the Christian's exaggerations in the fact that they made Nabi Isa (as), a God, son of God and gave him all attributes of God.

Since this warning took effect, no muslims from the past generation till date has ever committed this mistake. What we read in the Qur'an is "Muhammad is no more than a prophet just as many other prophets who have passed before him".

No muslim celebrate Mawlud Nabiyy by calling Muhammad a god, son of God or dubbed him to have attributes of Allah. This is the exaggeration of the christians for Isa (as).

2undexy:

Wa Allahu Ahlam.

He knows best Indeed.

2undexy:

I Pray Allah increase our Eeman and guide us to the right path. Aameen

Ameen.
Re: Reasons Why We Should Not Celebrate Milaad Un Nabawiy (the Prophet Birthday)! by Empiree: 10:16pm On Jan 04, 2015
I remember when back home, after we finished heavy dua of sura yasin and many others, one of our ending prayer remarks we said in unison 1000 times was (I will try to type it in arabic...may be inaccurate due to my mobile). Like this........

"allahumo salli ala saidina Muhammadin wa ala aliy wa asabiy wa ali-bayt wa ala kuli min ajirin wa rajahi"

albaqir is correct

Like Abbaqir said, I also dislike the use of "celebrate", "celebration", "saint" instead of "waliy" and so fourth. Using those english words sound uncomfortable for me. As for mawlud nabiy, if they dont invite you op, dont go, do what they do within shariah or be quiet. Simple, isnt?

Olohun ba wa ke Anobi ati awon ara ile e ati awon sahaba e ati gbogbo awon musulumi
Re: Reasons Why We Should Not Celebrate Milaad Un Nabawiy (the Prophet Birthday)! by AlBaqir(m): 12:27am On Jan 05, 2015
Occurstaem:

Some ignorant Muslims even went as far as celebrating Gregorian new year, some even gathered in the mosques on the eve of it.

Do you know their intentions (Niyyat) before tagged them "ignorant"? After all, "Actions shall be judge according to intentions" ~Hadith.

First, about "calendar". Allah revealed in general in sura at-Tawbah:36 "Verily, the number of months with Allah is twelve months, so was it ordained by Allah on the Day when He created the heavens and the earth; of them four are Sacred,.."

Observe, Muharram, Safar, Dhul Hijjah etc are not "Islamic months" but an age-long Arabian months perhaps since the days of Nabi Ismail, the father of Arabs. Arabs (believers among christian and Jew, and polytheist) have been observing these months ever before the birth of Muhammad (peace be on him and his household) and the advent of Islam. In fact, in their practice, they believe four months are sacred. When the holy Prophet (peace be on him and his household) was ordained, he did not cancel any of these months among many Arabian cultures.

Qur'an made mention of two months (kindly correct if am wrong pls) in Ramadhan and Dhul Hijjah i.e by Name. Others were not mentioned because they were known by the Arabs.

If the holy Prophet (peace be on him and his household) has been a Yoruba man, he will only use Yoruba language, months and days. It is for Allah to guide him as to sacredness and importance of specific months and days. However, the Arabian months: No doubt, the fact that the holy Prophet (peace be on him and his household) observed these months and also observed specific days in them, this gives it edge over any other months of other cultural background.

* Qur'an or Prophet NEVER established Hijrah Calendar (i.e Year). Umar ibn al-Khattab, the 2nd Khalifa started it, and indeed it was a good innovation (Bid'ah) at least it guides in historical dates and events.

CALENDARS

* Jewish Calendar: Jews were favored, blessed and chosen by Allah until they violated the laws of Allah. They have their own calendar till date. They use Lunar calendar with "names" of months/days different from the Arabs. Some of their months are Abib, Tishr I etc. They observed fasting, and other spirituality in these months.

* Arabian/Hijri Calendar is based on the calculations/Rotations of the moon; hence, it is called Lunar Calendar. Umar suggested Hijri calendar should be started when the holy Prophet migrated. Then we began to count the year then. Why can't we start the calendar when the holy prophet (peace be on him and his household) started his mission? All these are human choice. The basic and default rule before Allah is there are 12months in a year, and 4months are sacred.

* Gregorian Calendar. I don't want to go into the historical backgrounds, counter arguments etc. Scientifically, it is formulated based on the Rotations of the Sun; hence, it is called Solar calendar. When it actually started is connected with a history and happening. We have BC (before christ) and DC (death of christ).

Now, in Nigeria, schools and offices, this calendar is what its being used socially, officially and culturally. I believe a muslim has nothing to do with these BC and DC or the controversial history behind it. So far the counting is correct based on the rotation of the Sun, and there are 12 months in the year (default of Allah). There is absolutely nothing bad in "celebrating" it with a good intention.

Muslims gives thanks to Allah, seek forgiveness of sins and ask for Allah's favor and blessing: This should be the definition and practice of our "Celebration". It is hypocrisy for a muslim (e.g in Nigeria) to say he does not use Solar/Gregorian calendar.

A conscious muslim use Lunar calendar for his/her spiritual purposes while the Solar is being used for social/cultural need.

To Allah belong the Sun and Moon! He commands them to rotate within their axis! And they are designed for human use - part of which is counting days and night which translate to weeks and months, then years.

* Chinese Calendar

* Persian Calendar

All these calendars too have their respective history.

* Bahai Calendar: This cultist calendar is very wrong in the sense that it has 19 days in Every months, and 19 months in a year. This is against Qur'an where Allah says in the sight of Allah, there are only 12 months.

* There is also Yoruba calendar with names of 12 months and 7days.

* etc, etc.

Occurstaem:

Qur'an clarify surah Nisa :86 reads:
"When you are greeted with a greeting, greet in return with what is better than it, or (at least) return it equally. Certainly, Allah is Ever a Careful Account Taker of all things."

There are lots of hadith that talks about courtesy and civilized manner where you are allowed to behave courteously even to a Kafir while your heart desist.

Occurstaem:

Is this a specific saying of the holy Prophet (peace be on him and his household) or observations of some Ulama?

Absolutely its not specific sayings of the Prophet. Try to understand the basis of the word "E'id (festive).

* kindly, read my reply to the OP.

Day Of E'ed (Festive)
Imam 'Ali (as) says:
"...Any day that sin is not committed is a day of E'id (festive)"

We read in the holy Qur'an sura al-Maida vs
112-114 about the prayer of Nabi E'esa (a.s) in fulfilment of a request by the JEW:

"O Allah our Lord! Send us from heaven a table set (with food) [b]that there may be for us, for the first and the last of us, A SOLEMN FESTIVAL (E'id) and a sign from Thee; and provide for our sustenance for Thou art the best Sustainer.”

Allah granted the prayer and manna was sent down from the heavens for the Bani Israel. That day was marked as an E'id (Festive) day by the children of Israel (Jew) who continue the REMEMBRANCE (of that day) even till date by giving thanks to Allah, and continue recognizing His sign.

In fact, the command of the Qur'an to the believers is to remember the "days of Allah (Ayamullah)". These days of Allah could be days of Sadness or days of Goodness depending on the event that take place on them. The birth of a prophet is regarded as Mercy (Rahma), blessing (barakah) and fadl (grace or favor) of God.

If Allah refer to this 'occasion of food' and did not condemned the Bani Israel for making "E'id (festive) out of that day, how can commemorating or making E'id out of the DAY Allah sent His "Mercy unto Mankind" be condemn and called BID'AH/
Misguided act?

On this note, majority of muslims make E'id (festive) out of the Birthday of the holy Prophet (peace be on him and his household). Kindly read Sheik ibn Taymiyyah's opinion on Mawlud Nabiyy as posted above. People are happy and joyous throughout the season of Mawlud, because of the Prophet, who is Mercy unto mankind. We give thanks to God, express happiness, visit loved ones and friends etc This is E'id.

Occurstaem:

May Allah guide us and them on the right path. AAMIIIN.

Ma sha Allah. And amin to your du'a. Fi amanILLAH.
Re: Reasons Why We Should Not Celebrate Milaad Un Nabawiy (the Prophet Birthday)! by Empiree: 12:53am On Jan 05, 2015
^^Interesting write up there
Re: Reasons Why We Should Not Celebrate Milaad Un Nabawiy (the Prophet Birthday)! by kazlaw2000: 4:33am On Jan 05, 2015
For you bro Albaqir. Jazaakallahu khairaa for your painstaking efforts to clear misconceptions on 'Bidya' of muslim youths. I saw the post some days ago but lemme say I wasnt equipped enough to respond even though i knew he was mixing things up. But you've now given an adequate refutation. Once again Jazaakallahu khairaa.
The sad thing is that some of these die hard Salafis would not even care to read your response. They are so fixated on their views and are not ready to research objectively. May I humbly request you pen something down on the 'numerous innovations of the Salafis'? Maybe it will guide them on the proper usage of the term 'Bidya'.
Re: Reasons Why We Should Not Celebrate Milaad Un Nabawiy (the Prophet Birthday)! by Empiree: 5:10am On Jan 05, 2015
^ The thing is those people are on basics, that's it. But those who do more (beyond fundamental layer) also do basics, too. It's a must. But they are seen as abandoning basics which is not true.

By basics, i meant basic tenets documented (salat, zakat, haj, ramadan, Qadir). So you may not find bi'dah in that necessarily but instead a little twist within basics like tashahud, positioning etc. And also some Allah's attributes, they seem to get it wrong or a little wrong.

But on economy, both Islamic and secular economies, politics and many more of that, you will definitely find not only bi'dah but shirk using outstanding and dynamic interpretation of Quran and hadith. They do not understand modern economics/economy and monetary system, politics and application of Sharia, they do not understand many symbolic statements in Quran and hadith. They do not understand Islamic eschatology and epistemology.

This is just my opinion and observation of them. I believe that they follow narrow path and narrow understanding of the deen. That's, literal interpretation of religious text.
Re: Reasons Why We Should Not Celebrate Milaad Un Nabawiy (the Prophet Birthday)! by Rilwayne001: 8:58am On Jan 05, 2015
Albaqir shutting them down since B.C grin grin
Re: Reasons Why We Should Not Celebrate Milaad Un Nabawiy (the Prophet Birthday)! by AlBaqir(m): 10:28am On Jan 05, 2015
kazlaw2000:
For you bro Albaqir. Jazaakallahu khairaa for your painstaking efforts to clear misconceptions on 'Bidya' of muslim youths. I saw the post some days ago but lemme say I wasnt equipped enough to respond even though i knew he was mixing things up. But you've now given an adequate refutation. Once again Jazaakallahu khairaa.

Wa iyyakum my dear brother. Please you don't need to be 100% equip before you reply misleading post. Reply even if it is a sentence, and in sha Allah some will take it from there.
May Allah grant us His favor.

kazlaw2000:

The sad thing is that some of these die hard Salafis would not even care to read your response.

Allah knows I don't give a dime. The beauty of it is in a public forum like this, there are muslims with different ideologies and there are innocent-neutral muslims who knows not what is what. When 1 salafi ideology is posted and 10 other salafis concur, be sure there are 100 who do not buy the idea though might keep mute.

On the other hands, many can't differentiate between Salafi's ideology and mainstream Sunni's. Salafi usually disguise to be Sunni though they might have some common beliefs but there are huge differences. One is this issue of Mawlud Nabiyy Celebration.

Although I am a Shi'a in creed but being once a core Sunni and part Salafi, I prefer to offer my arguments and evidences 99% Sunni's. If I were to offer Shi'i references, I will be cast away like Iblis was. Yet, even offering Sunni based evidences, some dubious mind will ignorantly or deliberately accused of Shi'i ideology.

Anyway I don't give a dime. I have learnt long ago that people on public forum aren't stupid. And human conscience is also there to disturb.

kazlaw2000:

They are so fixated on their views and are not ready to research objectively. May I humbly request you pen something down on the 'numerous innovations of the Salafis'? Maybe it will guide them on the proper usage of the term 'Bidya'.

They are being programmed like robot. In fact, you can easily predict salafi's ideological statements in a given debates or topic. They are fanatic and rigid.

As per your request, hmmmmm that will be work o grin but in sha Allah something will be done. Please once the thread is open, do not hesitate to add.

Wa Salam alaykum
Re: Reasons Why We Should Not Celebrate Milaad Un Nabawiy (the Prophet Birthday)! by AlBaqir(m): 10:31am On Jan 05, 2015
Empiree:
^ The thing is those people are on basics, that's it. But those who do more (beyond fundamental layer) also do basics, too. It's a must. But they are seen as abandoning basics which is not true.

By basics, i meant basic tenets documented (salat, zakat, haj, ramadan, Qadir). So you may not find bi'dah in that necessarily but instead a little twist within basics like tashahud, positioning etc. And also some Allah's attributes, they seem to get it wrong or a little wrong.

But on economy, both Islamic and secular economies, politics and many more of that, you will definitely find not only bi'dah but shirk using outstanding and dynamic interpretation of Quran and hadith. They do not understand modern economics/economy and monetary system, politics and application of Sharia, they do not understand many symbolic statements in Quran and hadith. They do not understand Islamic eschatology and epistemology.

This is just my opinion and observation of them. I believe that they follow narrow path and narrow understanding of the deen. That's, literal interpretation of religious text.

Excellent brother, excellent. In fact, innocent muslim needs to shine their eyez.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why We Should Not Celebrate Milaad Un Nabawiy (the Prophet Birthday)! by AlBaqir(m): 10:33am On Jan 05, 2015
Rilwayne001:
Albaqir shutting them down since B.C grin grin

grin Brother how do you cope with your peeps at Religion section? Mehnnn I salute your courage and patience o. Those guys sucks.
Re: Reasons Why We Should Not Celebrate Milaad Un Nabawiy (the Prophet Birthday)! by Rilwayne001: 10:47am On Jan 05, 2015
AlBaqir:

grin Brother how do you cope with your peeps at Religion section? Mehnnn I salute your courage and patience o. Those guys sucks.

Bro it is'nt easy....

Firstly its fun bringing out their shallow logic whenever they display it grin grin
Secondly we can't always allow fo0ls to assume they are wise,

Seriously i found the section more fun that the joke section grin grin

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why We Should Not Celebrate Milaad Un Nabawiy (the Prophet Birthday)! by Empiree: 1:26pm On Jan 05, 2015
Just to add this to clear misconceptions. Handsome write up by albaqir up there doesn't insinuate celebrating non-Muslim holidays or festivals.

It's about courtesy and tolerance. #justsaying

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why We Should Not Celebrate Milaad Un Nabawiy (the Prophet Birthday)! by kazlaw2000: 2:31pm On Jan 05, 2015
Empiree:
Just to add this to clear misconceptions. Handsome write up by albaqir up there doesn't insinuate celebrating non-Muslim holidays or festivals.

Exactly
Re: Reasons Why We Should Not Celebrate Milaad Un Nabawiy (the Prophet Birthday)! by Occurstaem(m): 3:35pm On Jan 05, 2015
AlBaqir:

Do you know their intentions (Niyyat) before tagged them "ignorant"? After all, "Actions shall be judge according to intentions" ~Hadith.

Know their intentions (Niyyat) before tagged them "ignorant"? Seriously? Really? What else should I have called them when they are gathering in the mosque on the eve of Gregorian new year knowing fully well that Christians are also gathering in their churches? Even went as far as making the Adhan(call to solat) at exactly 12am. For what reason? Is it time for Solat? SubhanAllah.
Even the Prophet(s.a.w) enjoined us to be different from Christians and even other religions as much as possible. e.g - the fasting on Ashura.You forgot to mention that the Prophet(saw) said Muslims should fast also on the day BEFORE and AFTER Ashura SO AS TO BE DIFFERENT FROM THE JEWS. I will stop there for now.

AlBaqir:

There is absolutely nothing bad in "celebrating" it with a good intention.

But should not make it as a form of festival in any way as it will make them the same as Christians also celebrates Jesus(asw) birthday too. It is better not to celebrate it.

AlBaqir:

Muslims gives thanks to Allah, seek forgiveness of sins and ask for Allah's favor and blessing: This should be the definition and practice of our "Celebration".

Well said. Not partying.

AlBaqir:

It is hypocrisy for a muslim (e.g in Nigeria) to say he does not use Solar/Gregorian calendar.

I never say i do not use it. Because it is common in Nigeria.

AlBaqir:

Qur'an clarify surah Nisa :86 reads:
[color=#990000]"When you are greeted with a greeting, greet in return with what is better than it, or (at least) return it equally. Certainly Allah is Ever Careful Account Taker of all things"

I always wish any Christian happy new year with respect and in the best manner.
Due to your long post, i am not able to quote all your post. But, there is nothing uncivilized in reminding my Christian friend that he should "Wish Me Happy New Year When It's Hijrah New Year". And if it is, please do not hesitate to tell me. Salam alaekum.
Re: Reasons Why We Should Not Celebrate Milaad Un Nabawiy (the Prophet Birthday)! by AlBaqir(m): 4:05pm On Jan 05, 2015
Occurstaem:

Know their intentions (Niyyat) before tagged them
"ignorant"? Seriously? Really? What else should I
have called them when they are gathering in the
mosque on the eve of Gregorian new year knowing
fully well that Christians are also gathering in their
churches? Even went as far as making the Adhan
(call to solat) at exactly 12am. For what reason? Is it
time for Solat? SubhanAllah.

Honestly you are right and I agree with you muslims should be enlightened as to our deen and Islamic heritage.

But in reality do you want them to gather with the Christian? Ansar deen society used to organize public lecture on the eve of new year, and then hold a prayer session for muslims. This, I know, has helped a lot in keeping "innocent and neutral muslims" in their deen rather than peeping into practices of other religion.

Federal Government of Nigeria used to organize New year Eve prayer and lecture session where both Muslims and Christians scholars will be invited to pray for the Nation. Do you want Muslims to back off from such invitation all in the name its a "Gregorian Calendar Celebration"?

Occurstaem:

Even the Prophet(s.a.w) enjoined us to be different
from Christians and even other religions as much as
possible. e.g - the fasting on Ashura.

You forgot to mention that the Prophet(saw) said
Muslims should fast on the day BEFORE and AFTER
Ashura SO AS TO BE DIFFERENT FROM THE JEWS. I
stop there for now.

Please read my link about the controversy of Ashura so that you get the proper conception:
www.nairaland.com/1967745/controversy-surrounding-significance-ashura-10th

Occurstaem:

But should not make it as a form of festival in any
way as it will make them the same as Christians
also celebrates Jesus(asw) birthday too. It is better
not to celebrate it.

Occurstaem:

Well said. Not partying.

That's why I described the definition of "Celebration" for you in an Islamic concept. That is what should be preached rather than condemnation.

Occurstaem:

I never say i do not use it. Because it is common in
Nigeria.

It is not only common, it is what is fixed as part of our constitution. So is it forbidden?

Occurstaem:

I always wish any Christian happy new year with
respect and in the best manner.
Due to your long post, i am not able to quote all your post. But, there is nothing uncivilized in reminding my Christian friend that he should "Wish Me Happy New Year When It's Hijrah New Year". And if it is, please do not hesitate to tell me. Salam alaekum .

Here I do not condemn or rebuke you, at all. I only try to emphasize Islamic law even on mere greetings.

Wa alaykum salam.
Re: Reasons Why We Should Not Celebrate Milaad Un Nabawiy (the Prophet Birthday)! by AlBaqir(m): 4:10pm On Jan 05, 2015
Empiree:

kazlaw2000:

Exactly

Thanks a lot for that clarification lest those in whose heart there is disease accuse Albaqir...

Jazakumullahu Khairan

4 Likes

Re: Reasons Why We Should Not Celebrate Milaad Un Nabawiy (the Prophet Birthday)! by Occurstaem(m): 6:20pm On Jan 05, 2015
AlBaqir:

But in reality do you want them to gather with the Christian? Ansar deen society used to organize public lecture on the eve of new year, and then hold a prayer session for muslims. This, I know, has helped a lot in keeping "innocent and neutral muslims" in their deen rather than peeping into practices of other religion.

I do not want them to gather with the Christians. That is why I mentioned enlightment in my earlier post. But rather than organizing events on the eve of Gregorian new year, how about preaching and enlightening the Muslim populace for atleast about two weeks before and after Christians celebrate it. That, inshAllah, I believe will keep Muslims from celebrating it with them.

AlBaqir:

Federal Government of Nigeria used to organize N ew year Eve prayer and lecture session where both Muslims and Christians scholars will be invited to pray for the Nation. Do you want Muslims to back off from such invitation all in the name its a "Gregorian Calendar Celebration"?

No, not at all. I do not want them to back off. It is to promote unity in the country not celebration.

AlBaqir:

Please read my link about the controversy of Ashura so that you get the proper conception:
www.nairaland.com/1967745/controversy-surrounding-significance-ashura-10th

Jazakumullahu khaeran.

AlBaqir:

That's why I described the definition of "Celebration" for you in an Islamic concept. That is what should be preached rather than condemnation.

Exactly. But some may mistake it the other way round just as 'Empiree' has said. So, I think condemnation of some bad actions involved in it is good.

AlBaqir:

It is not only common, it is what is fixed as part of our constitution. So is it forbidden?

Absolutely no. Not forbidden. Nigeria is a secular country. Some drunkards are still even saying someone want to islamize Nigeria when it is Gregorian calender we are using in the country. But it is celebration we are discussing about. That was why I said I use it too.

AlBaqir:

Here I do not condemn or rebuke you, at all. I only try to emphasize Islamic law even on mere greetings.
Wa alaykum salam.

Jazakumullahu khaeran.
Re: Reasons Why We Should Not Celebrate Milaad Un Nabawiy (the Prophet Birthday)! by Nobody: 10:43pm On Jan 05, 2015
AlBaqir:

salamuni alaikum...

Having said all that concerning maolud nabiiy celebration, well, i'm coming bck 2 u concerning the issue. But the issue nw is that, let presume that maolud Nabiyy is accepted as an act of celebrating Rosulullah (s.a.w), what your take on how the maolud is being celebrated here in our country? Is that how it should be celebrated?

And you said something abt we muslim taking part in new year celebration, u wrote it's permissible. How's that suppose to be so?

Initially, it was called Victorian calendar but later changed to Gregorian by the then Pope on 12 or 13th of April.
Looking @ it critically, then you'll see that Jan 1st was originally April 12 or 13 being the date when it was bring forth and refresh.
Re: Reasons Why We Should Not Celebrate Milaad Un Nabawiy (the Prophet Birthday)! by AlBaqir(m): 10:31am On Jan 06, 2015
2undexy:

salamuni alaikum...

Having said all that concerning maolud nabiiy celebration, well, i'm coming bck 2 u concerning the issue.

Wa alaykum salam

In sha Allah I shall be waiting. May Allah give us His tawfiq to understand ourselves better towards His ma'arifa (Knowledge).

2undexy:

But the issue nw is that, let presume that maolud Nabiyy is accepted as an act of celebrating Rosulullah (s.a.w), what your take on how the maolud is being celebrated here in our country? Is that how it should be celebrated?

Here in this part of the world, our Ulama (scholars) hide under religion to acquire their selfish interest and worldly needs. The state of Mawlud celebration in Nigeria is worse but that doesn't mean the whole act should be condemn based on this bad acts of certain individual. You will agree with me even Ramadhan, zakat-fitr, Hajj preparation etc are now means for many Ulama to fulfil their selfish desires and worldly needs. Another example is multiple marriage. It is more of a license to many to seek their sexual desires rather than observing the limits Allah set upon it, and see how polygamous family is messing up in this society of ours.

Should we declare all these Bid'ah/Haram because of misuse of them?

Qur'an:
"If you do good, you will do good for your own souls, and if you do evil, it shall be for them..." ~Isra'i vs 7

We should rather condemn people evil-lining deeds embedded in good act not condemning the good acts as a whole based on certain evil deeds of those who hide under it. Only Allah gives reward.

2undexy:

And you said something abt we muslim taking part in new year celebration, u wrote it's permissible. How's that suppose to be so?

Please re-read, and now carefully. First, I define the word "celebration" as far as Islamic principles is concern.
Second, I explored Allah's set standards of 'calendar' for man in general. Whether one use solar (sun) or lunar (moon) in counting, both are of Allah's creation and are designed for such purpose and more, whereas the calculation should be 12months in a year. No more no less.
On this, irrespective of calendar you use based on your social, political or cultural backgrounds, one must recognize and give thanks to God. However, the stress of "Islamic calendar" is emphasized because of its spiritual significance e.g month of Ramadhan and Hajj.

Third, the historical background of every calendar is nothing but human interaction and formulation to remember his history. Hijri Year was not established by the Qur'an or Prophet himself (peace be on him and his household). In fact, before and during the holy prophet's blessed lifetime, year are determined by a historical event (s) that took place in it e.g Amul fil - the year of elephant' was the year the Prophet was born. Whereas months are intact in their counting and respective names since time immemorial.

Years after the demise of the holy prophet (peace be on him and his household) was when Umar ibn al-Khattab, the 2nd Khalif, proposed and established Hijr calendar based on the historical migration of the Prophet from Makkah to Madina. This was a choice by man for if I were a Khalif then, I will propose the day Islam began (i.e when Prophet, mercy unto the world, was ordained and Qur'an was first revealed; because that day Shaytan lost his hope in having total control over mankind).

The historical background of Gregorian calendar is of no use to Muslim but we use and recognize the months within it based on our social, cultural and political needs and situations. This is my submission

2undexy:

Initially, it was called Victorian calendar but later changed to Gregorian by the then Pope on 12 or 13th of April.
Looking @ it critically, then you'll see that Jan 1st was originally April 12 or 13 being the date when it was bring forth and refresh.

I'm sorry dear brother I respect their controversial story as far as Islam enjoin me to be courteous but I don't have anything to do with the specific beliefs attached to it.

Fi aman Illah.
Re: Reasons Why We Should Not Celebrate Milaad Un Nabawiy (the Prophet Birthday)! by Empiree: 4:25am On Jan 13, 2015

(1) (Reply)

Akhee, stop Comparing Yourself With Others! / Muslim Couples (married) Let's Talk / Zakaat Al-fitr (Staple Food Given To The Needy Close To The End Of Ramadan)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 161
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.