Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,615 members, 7,809,252 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:47 AM

Mawlid Al-nabi (the Prophet’s Birthday) - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Mawlid Al-nabi (the Prophet’s Birthday) (4130 Views)

The Celebration Of The Prophet's Birthday / Birthday, Christmas And Mawlid Celebration In The Light Of Islam / "Reasons Why You Should Not Celebrate Maulud Nabiyy: Supposed Prophet's Birthday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mawlid Al-nabi (the Prophet’s Birthday) by balash(m): 7:55am On Dec 09, 2016
There is nothing in the Qur’aan to say that we should celebrate the Mawlid or birthday of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The Prophet himself (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not do this or command anyone to do it, either during his lifetime or after his death. Indeed, he told them not to exaggerate about him as the Christians had exaggerated about Jesus (upon whom be peace). He said: “Do not exaggerate about me as the Christians exaggerated about the son of Maryam. I am only a slave, so say, ‘The slave of Allaah and His Messenger.’” (Reported by al-Bukhaari). What has been reported is that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) made the day of his birth a day of worship, which is different to celebration. He was asked about fasting on Mondays, and he said: “That is the day on which I was born and the day on which I was entrusted with the Mission or when I was first given Revelation.” (Reported by Muslim, al-Nisaa’i and Abu Dawood).

Moreover, we know that the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) were the people who loved the Prophet most. Was it reported that Abu Bakr, who was the closest of people to him and the one who loved him the most, celebrated the birthday of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)? Was it reported that ‘Umar, who ruled for twelve years, or ‘Uthmaan, did this? Was it reported that ‘Ali, his relative and foster son, did this? Was it reported that any of the Sahaabah did this? No, by Allaah! Is it because they were not aware of its importance, or did they not truly love the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)? No one would say such a thing except one who has gone astray and is leading others astray.

Did any of the imaams – Abu Haneefah, Maalik, al-Shaafi’i, Ahmad, al-Hasan al-Basri, Ibn Seereen – do this or command others to do it or say that it was good? By Allaah, no! It was not even mentioned during the first and best three centuries. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said in a saheeh hadeeth: “The best of mankind are my generation (or my century), then those who come after them, then those who come after them. Then there will come a people who will not care if their testimony comes before their oath or vice versa (i.e., they will not take such matter seriously).” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, Muslim and al-Tirmidhi). The celebration of the Prophet’s birthday appeared many centuries later, when many of the features of true religion had vanished and bid’ah had become widespread.

Thus this celebration became a sign of one’s love for the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)? But can it be possible that the Sahaabah, the imaams and the people of the best three centuries were unaware of it, and it was only those who came later who were aware of its importance?! What the Qur’aan tells us is that love of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is demonstrated by following the guidance he brought. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say (O Muhammad): ‘If you (really) love Allaah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your sins. And Allaah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

Say: ‘Obey Allaah and the Messenger.’ But if they turn away, then Allaah does not like the disbelievers.” [Aal ‘Imraan 3:31-32]

The first aayah explains that love is just a claim, but the proof of sincerity is following what the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) brought. The second aayah reaffirms the importance and necessity of obeying Allaah and His Messenger. Hence Allaah ended the aayah with a very stern warning in which those who refuse to obey are described as kaafirs, and Allah does not love the disbelievers. We ask Allaah to keep us safe from that. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told us of the danger of not obeying him, and the danger of adding to what he brought. The celebration of Mawlid or his birthday is indeed an addition to what he brought – as all the scholars agree. He said: “The best of speech is the Book of Allaah, and the best of guidance is the guidance of Muhammad. The most evil of things are those which are newly-invented (in religion), and every innovation is a going astray.” (Reported by Muslim and al-Nisaa’i).

We ask Allaah to protect us from bid’ah and to bless us by helping us to follow. Allaah knows best. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mawlid Al-nabi (the Prophet’s Birthday) by balash(m): 7:56am On Dec 09, 2016
Mukina2 Sissie
Re: Mawlid Al-nabi (the Prophet’s Birthday) by Nobody: 8:28am On Dec 09, 2016
Jazakallahu Khiran
Re: Mawlid Al-nabi (the Prophet’s Birthday) by Ahmed0336(m): 11:29am On Dec 09, 2016
Jazak Allahu Khairan
Re: Mawlid Al-nabi (the Prophet’s Birthday) by Nobody: 11:30am On Dec 09, 2016
May Allaah help us and those who are not into this rubbish celebration. Allah's help is to be sought! Jazakallaahu khayran 'balash'
Re: Mawlid Al-nabi (the Prophet’s Birthday) by laskay44(m): 11:30am On Dec 09, 2016
May Allah accept all our Ibadah Amin

Laskay Lasgidi
Happy Jumuah

2 Likes

Re: Mawlid Al-nabi (the Prophet’s Birthday) by 9inches(m): 11:31am On Dec 09, 2016
Shia started it. Uthman declared it a public holiday.

1 Like

Re: Mawlid Al-nabi (the Prophet’s Birthday) by usmanktg2(m): 11:57am On Dec 09, 2016
Keep debating it, while we keep celebrating it.
Assalamu Alayka Ya Rasulullah!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Mawlid Al-nabi (the Prophet’s Birthday) by muhamadnur: 12:00pm On Dec 09, 2016
Re: Mawlid Al-nabi (the Prophet’s Birthday) by muhamadnur: 12:00pm On Dec 09, 2016
haram haram haram i hope they would listen,its like copying the christians or xmas. 9inches and i wonderd what brought ths as*hole here.

1 Like

Re: Mawlid Al-nabi (the Prophet’s Birthday) by usmanktg2(m): 12:02pm On Dec 09, 2016
THE MAWLID-UN-NABI: Q & A

By: Shaykh Fakhruddin Owaisi al-Madani (South Africa)

Q1-What is the ruling (hukm) regarding celebrating the Mawlid-un-Nabi:

A1: Any action we do may be judged by the Shari ah as being of one of the following five categories:

-Fard (Obligatory)
-Mustahabb (Recommended)
-Mubah/Ja iz (Simply Permissible)
-Makruh (Discouraged)
-Haram (Forbidden)

Past and present Ulama from the four Madhabs (Hanafi, Shafi, Maliki and Hanbali) have considered the commemoration of the Prophet (SAW) birth as being Mubah, i.e. permissible, as there is no evidence in the Shari ah that prohibits such an event.

In fact, there is some evidence that actually supports the commemoration of the noble
birth. For example:

- Allah says in the Qur an:

Say in the Bounty of Allah and His Mercy, Let them rejoice . (Surah Yunus,
verse 58).

There is no greater bounty given to creation than the Holy Prophet (SAW).

- The Qur an narrates to us the stories of the births of Prophets Isa, Musa and Yahya (AS) in an honorable manner. As the greatest of the Prophets, the birth of Nabi Muhammad (SAW) is even more deserving of such attention.

- Imam al-Bukhari narrates that when the Prophet (SAW) was born, his uncle, the unbeliever Abu-Lahab freed the slave-girl Thuwaybah that brought him the good news, by gesturing to her with his finger. When Abu-Lahab passed away, his brother Sayyidna al-Abbas (RA) saw him in dream and asked him about his condition. He replied: I am in severe punishment, but my punishment is lessened every Monday as I am allowed to suck some water from that finger of mine with which I freed Thuwaybah .

- It is also narrated by Imam Muslim that the Prophet (SAW) used to fast on Mondays. When asked why, he (SAW) replied: That is the day I was born .

That is why many scholars have been very supportive of the Mawlid. For example, the great 9th Century Shafi i scholar Imam Jalaluddin al-Suyuti writes in his Al-Hawi lil Fatawi:

To commemorate the Mawlid, which is basically gathering people together, reciting parts of the Qu'ran, narrating stories about the Prophet's birth and the signs that accompanied it, then serving food, and afterwards, departing, is one of the good innovations; and the one who practices it gets rewarded, because it involves venerating the status of the Prophet and expressing joy at his honorable birth.

However, while commemorating the Mawlid cannot be considered Haram, it also must not be considered Fard. It must be understood that it is simply a beneficial practice that is nevertheless not obligatory.

Note, too, that while commemorating the Mawlid itself is only Mubah, many of the actions done in it are Mustahabb (Recommended) such as recitation of Salawat, coming together of Muslims, discussing the life of the Prophet (SAW), feeding the hungry etc.

People will undoubtedly be rewarded for these actions. Wa Llahu A lam.

Q2-Is commemorating the Mawlid un-Nabi a bid ah (an innovation)?

Bid ah refers to beliefs and practices that appeared after the era of the Holy Prophet (SAW). Broadly speaking, bidah s are acceptable or unacceptable depending upon whether or not they fall under the general principles and spirit of the Qur an and Sunnah.

Given this they will be classified according to the five Shari ah rulings mentioned above.

Therefore, some bidah s may be obligatory such as writing books on the din and the gathering of the Qur an and hadith into book form. Some may be recommended such as the translation of the Qur an, the congregational Tarawih prayer and the second adhan for Jumu ah. Some Bid ah s may simply permitted such as performing Eid Salah in Mosques, qira ah programs, Qur anic competitions and the commemoration of Mawlid as noted earlier. Depending upon the intention and results, such permitted bidah s may even become recommended.

Discouraged innovations would be to have the Holy Qur an on a cellphone, as some Ulama have said. Forbidden bidah s are any innovated beliefs and practices that are in clear violation of agreed upon principles and rulings of the Shari ah.

The hadith that states that every bidah is a misguidance refers to this last category of bid ah only as explained by hadith authority Imam al-Nawawi in his commentary on Sahih Muslim (Volume 6, p154):

What is meant by it is new matters that are not validated by the Shari ah. That - and that alone - is what are meant by innovations.

Q3-What is the ruling on standing up to recite Salawat (Salutations) and Salam (Greetings of Peace) upon the Prophet (SAW):

It is permissible if done with the intention of respecting the Prophet (SAW), and without the belief that it is obligatory. The Qur an has ordered us to present the Salam to the Prophet (SAW) in a respectful manner as implied in the verse Wa Sallimu Taslima i.e. And send worthy greetings of Peace upon him . (Qur an 33:56)

Furthermore, it is permissible in Islam to stand up to greet any honorable or beloved person. The Prophet (SAW) used to stand up to greet many people, including his beloved daughter Sayyidah Fatimah Zahra (RA).

Imam al-Bukhari narrates that once the Prophet (SAW) was sitting in the Mosque and saw a funeral passing by. So he immediately stood up in respect of it. He was then told that it was actually the funeral of a Jew. So he (SAW) replied; It is still a soul.

The Ulama have also deemed it permissible to stand up for a national anthem. It has for centuries been the custom in many Muslim lands to stand up when reciting the Salawat and Salam on the Prophet (SAW), especially upon hearing the news of his Birth, so as to display love, gratefulness and respect. This practice has been commended by Ulama from all 4 Madhhabs.

The Mufti of the Shafi i madhab of Medina al-Imam al-Sayyid Ja far al-Barzanji wrote in his Mawlid that:

Scholars of great character and knowledge have commended the practice of standing up at the mention of the Prophet (SAW) s birth. So glad-tiding to the one whose goal and purpose is to honor the Prophet (SAW).

This was written by him in Medina four centuries ago, and he referred to scholars before his time.

The Salawat can be recited in all positions: sitting as in the Jalsah (sitting position) in Salah, or standing as in the Salat-ul-Janazah or even while lying down.

Furthermore, it is general command of the Shariah to display all sorts of love, honor and veneration to the Prophet (SAW) [Qur an 7:157; 33:6 amongst others], as long as it does not involve any prohibited action. Wa Llahu A lam.

Q4-Is it possible for the Prophet (SAW) to be present at a Mawlid gathering?

The blessed body of the Prophet (SAW) is buried in Medina. But his Soul, like the souls of all Prophets and pious believers, is free to roam in the Kingdom of Allah to attend blessed gatherings. Evidence for this is what occurred on the Night of the Mi raj when all the Prophets gathered in al-Quds to meet and pray behind our Prophet (SAW). Many of them met him again in the Heavens.

Ibn al-Qayyim mentions in his Kitab al-Ruh that the famous Companion Sayyidna Salman al-Farisi (RA) said:

The souls of the believers are in a partition from the (visible) earth, they go anywhere they want to.

He also quotes the great Imam Malik as saying:

I was informed that the soul is free; it goes anywhere it wants to.

The above has also been confirmed by great Classical scholars such as Imam al-Suyuti and Imam Ibn-Hajar al-Haytami in their Fatawa.

However, a person who experiences the spiritual presence of the Prophet (SAW) at any gathering should normally keep such things to him or herself. In general, this is a matter of the unseen and it is best to not to delve into the issue unnecessarily.

Q5-What are the Riwayats popularly recited in Cape Town?

The Riwayats are basically narrations on the happenings of the noble Birth of the Prophet (SAW), compiled in a book from by the 16th century Mufti of the Shafi i madhab in Medina al-Imam al-Sayyid Ja far al-Barzanji. Whatever is mentioned in them is authentically sourced from the books of Hadith and Sirah (biographies of the Prophet). Its a blessing to recite them as it is a blessing to recite any hadith of the Prophet (SAW).

Muslim throughout the world recite these Riwayat during the blessed month of Mawlud. They are usually referred to in other parts of the world as Mawlid al-Barzanji.

Shaykh Fakhruddin Owaisi al-Madani is a Lecturer in Hadith at IPSA.
Sh. Fakhruddin completed a Master s dissertation on the issue of Mawlid and Bid ah at the University of Cape Town.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mawlid Al-nabi (the Prophet’s Birthday) by muhamadnur: 12:03pm On Dec 09, 2016
usmanktg2:
Keep debating it, while we keep celebrating it.

Assalamu Alayka Ya Rasulullah!!!!
keep sinkin your selves into sin while we tryina help ya. Blockheads.
Re: Mawlid Al-nabi (the Prophet’s Birthday) by usmanktg2(m): 12:10pm On Dec 09, 2016
أقوال بعض كبار علماء الأمّة في مشروعيّة الاحتفال بالمولد النبوي الشريف :

1- قال الشيخ ابن تيمية رحمه الله : (فتعظيم المولد واتخاذه موسماً قد يفعله بعض النّاس , ويكون له فيه أجر عظيم لحسن قصده وتعظيمه لرسول الله صلّى الله عليه وآله وصحبه وسلّم ) اقتضاء الصراط المستقيم في مخالفة أصحاب الجحيم لابن تيمية (1/297)

2- قال الإمام أبو شامة شيخ الإمام النووي رحمهما الله : ( ومن أحسن ما ابتدع في زماننا ما يفعل كلّ عام في اليوم الموافق ليوم مولده صلّى الله عليه وآله وصحبه وسلّم من الصدقات والمعروف , وإظهار الزينة والسرور , فإنّ ذلك مع ما فيه من الإحسان للفقراء مشعر بمحبّته صلّى الله عليه وآله وصحبه وسلّم , وتعظيمه في قلب فاعل ذلك , وشكراً لله على ما منَّ به من إيجاد رسوله صلّى الله عليه وآله وصحبه وسلّم الذي أرسله رحمة للعالمين ) السيرة الحلبية لعلي بن برهان الدّين الحلبي (1/83- 84)

3- قال الإمام السّخاوي رحمه الله : ( لم يفعله أحد من السّلف في القرون الثلاثة , وإنّما حدث بعد , ثمّ لا زال أهل الإسلام من سائر الأقطار والمدن يعملون المولد , ويتصدّقون في لياليه بأنواع الصّدقات , ويعتنون بقراءة مولده الكريم , ويظهر عليهم من بركاته كلّ فضل عميم ) السيرة الحلبية لعلي بن برهان الدّين الحلبي (1/83- 84)

4- قال الإمام ابن الجزري رحمه الله : ( من خواصِّه أنّه أمان في ذلك العام , وبشرى عاجلة بنيل البغية والمرام ) السيرة الحلبية لعلي بن برهان الدّين الحلبي (1/83- 84)

5- قال الإمام السّيوطي رحمه الله : ( هو من البدع الحسنة التي يثاب عليها صاحبها ؛ لما فيه من تعظيم قدر النبيّ صلّى الله عليه وآله وصحبه وسلّم وإظهار الفرح والاستبشار بمولده الشريف ) الحاوي للفتاوي (1/292)

6- وقال أيضاً : ( يستحبُّ لنا إظهار الشكر بمولده صلّى الله عليه وآله وصحبه وسلّم , والاجتماع , وإطعام الطعام , ونحو ذلك من وجوه القربات , وإظهار المسرّات ) الحاوي للفتاوي (1/292)

7- وقال أيضاً : ( ما من بيت أو محلّ أو مسجد قُرِئ فيه مولد النبيّ صلّى الله عليه وآله وصحبه وسلّم إلا حفّت الملائكة أهل ذلك المكان , وعمهم الله تعالى بالرحمة والرضوان ) الوسائل في شرح المسائل للسّيوطي

8- قال الإمام ابن الحاج رحمه الله : ( فكان يجب أن نزداد يوم الاثنين الثاني عشر في ربيع الأول من العبادات , والخير شكراً للمولى على ما أولانا من هذه النعم العظيمة ؛ وأعظمها ميلاد المصطفى صلّى الله عليه وآله وصحبه وسلّم ) المدخل (1/361)

9- قال الإمام زيني دحلان رحمه الله : ( ومن تعظيمه صلّى الله عليه وآله وصحبه وسلّم الفرح بليلة ولادته , وقراءة المولد ) الدّرر السنيّة (190)

10- قال الإمام العراقي رحمه الله : ( إنّ اتخاذ الوليمة , وإطعام الطعام مُستحبٌّ في كلّ وقت , فكيف إذا انضمَّ إلى ذلك الفرح والسرور بظهور نور النبيّ صلّى الله عليه وآله وصحبه وسلّم في هذا الشهر الشريف , ولا يلزم من كونه بدعة كونه مكروهاً , فكم من بدعة مستحبّة بل قد تكون واجبة ) شرح المواهب اللدنّيّة للزرقاني

11- قال الإمام ابن حجر العسقلاني رحمه الله : ( أصل عمل المولد بدعة لم تنقل عن أحد من السّلف الصّالح من القرون الثلاثة, ولكنّها مع ذلك قد اشتملت على محاسن وضدّها , فمن تحرّى في عملها المحاسن , وجنّب ضدّها كان بدعة حسنة , وإلا فلا , وقد ظهر لي تخريجها على أصل ثابت في الصحيحين من أنَّ النبيّ صلّى الله عليه وآله وصحبه وسلّم قدم المدينة فوجد اليهود يصومون يوم عاشوراء , فسألهم فقالوا : هو يوم أغرق الله فيه فرعون , ونجّى موسى , فنحن نصومه شكراً لله تعالى , فيستفاد منه الشّكر لله على ما منَّ به في يوم معيّن من إسداء نعمة , أو دفع نقمة , ويعاد ذلك في نظير ذلك اليوم من كلّ سنة , والشكر لله يحصل بأنواع العبادة كالسجود والصيام والصدقة والتلاوة , وأيّ نعمة أعظم من النعمة ببروز هذا النبيّ نبي الرحمة في ذلك اليوم , وعلى هذا فينبغي أن يقتصر فيه على ما يفهم الشكر لله تعالى من التلاوة , والإطعام , وإنشاد شيء من المدائح النبويّة المحرّكة للقلوب إلى فعل الخير والعمل للآخرة , وأمّا ما يتبع ذلك من السماع واللهو وغير ذلك فينبغي أن يقال : : ما كان من ذلك مباحاً بحيث يقتضي السرور لا بأس بإلحاقه به , وما كان حراماً أو مكروهاً فيمنع , وكذا ما كان خلاف الأولى ) الفتاوى الكبرى (1/196)

12- قال الإمام ابن عابدين رحمه الله في شرحه على مولد ابن حجر : ( اعلم أنّ من البدع المحمودة عمل المولد الشريف من الشهر الذي ولد فيه صلّى الله عليه وآله وصحبه وسلّم ) وقال أيضاً : ( فالاجتماع لسماع قصّة صاحب المعجزات عليه أفضل الصّلوات وأكمل التّحيات من أعظم القربات لما يشتمل عليه من المعجزات وكثرة الصّلوات )

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mawlid Al-nabi (the Prophet’s Birthday) by blinkmoneyo(m): 12:11pm On Dec 09, 2016
@usmanktg2 : THAT YOUR SHIEK IS UNKNOWN. we follow the Sunnah of the prophet nt any SHIEK..
Re: Mawlid Al-nabi (the Prophet’s Birthday) by usmanktg2(m): 12:16pm On Dec 09, 2016
blinkmoneyo:
@usmanktg2 : THAT YOUR SHIEK IS UNKNOWN. we follow the Sunnah of the prophet nt any SHIEK..

And that my Sheikh is only narrating what is from the Sunna of the Holy Prophet SAW.
Re: Mawlid Al-nabi (the Prophet’s Birthday) by usmanktg2(m): 12:22pm On Dec 09, 2016
You are making Haram what Allah nor the Prophet SAW made Haram.

Please Quote anywhere from the Quraan or Hadith that state, MAULID IS HARAM. If you can quote anywhere, Wallahi I will not celebrate it again.
Re: Mawlid Al-nabi (the Prophet’s Birthday) by walelamina: 12:38pm On Dec 09, 2016
JAZAKUNLAH FOR THE POST, JUMAH MUBARAQ TO ALL THE MUSLIM BRETHEN IN THE WORLD, HAVE YOU RECITED YOUR SURATUL KAHF TODAY?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mawlid Al-nabi (the Prophet’s Birthday) by Sufisunni: 12:48pm On Dec 09, 2016
usmanktg2:
You are making Haram what Allah nor the Prophet SAW made Haram.

Please Quote anywhere from the Quraan or Hadith that state, MAULID IS HARAM.
If you can quote anywhere, Wallahi I will not celebrate it again.

Let the agents of Wahhabiyya keeep deceiving themselves that Mawlid is innovation whereas their quran competition which authentic hadiths forbid is allowed by them. Wahhabiyya agents here in Nigeria r always traumatised during this period.

2 Likes

Re: Mawlid Al-nabi (the Prophet’s Birthday) by Sufisunni: 12:56pm On Dec 09, 2016
blinkmoneyo:
even ur sheikh Ibn taimiyya says Mawlid is rewarding, check his Iqtadai siratamustakim and Majmau fatawa. All the muslim domimated countries in the world celebrate mawlid officially, only Qatar and Saudi arabia dont officially celebrate Mawlid even their brothers in UAE do. Coincidentally, these two countries r d financiers of ISIS what a shame! this tells u their mission.

1 Like

Re: Mawlid Al-nabi (the Prophet’s Birthday) by Sufisunni: 1:05pm On Dec 09, 2016
muhamadnur:
keep sinkin your selves into sin while we tryina help ya. Blockheads.
Continue apportioning sin to people who r celebrating Mawlid ok, whereas ur sheikh Ibn taimiyya says is rewarding.

1 Like

Re: Mawlid Al-nabi (the Prophet’s Birthday) by gaffig: 2:44pm On Dec 09, 2016
balash:
There is nothing in the Qur’aan to say that we should celebrate the Mawlid or birthday of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The Prophet himself (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not do this or command anyone to do it, either during his lifetime or after his death. Indeed, he told them not to exaggerate about him as the Christians had exaggerated about Jesus (upon whom be peace). He said: “Do not exaggerate about me as the Christians exaggerated about the son of Maryam. I am only a slave, so say, ‘The slave of Allaah and His Messenger.’” (Reported by al-Bukhaari). What has been reported is that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) made the day of his birth a day of worship, which is different to celebration. He was asked about fasting on Mondays, and he said: “That is the day on which I was born and the day on which I was entrusted with the Mission or when I was first given Revelation.” (Reported by Muslim, al-Nisaa’i and Abu Dawood).

Moreover, we know that the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) were the people who loved the Prophet most. Was it reported that Abu Bakr, who was the closest of people to him and the one who loved him the most, celebrated the birthday of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)? Was it reported that ‘Umar, who ruled for twelve years, or ‘Uthmaan, did this? Was it reported that ‘Ali, his relative and foster son, did this? Was it reported that any of the Sahaabah did this? No, by Allaah! Is it because they were not aware of its importance, or did they not truly love the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)? No one would say such a thing except one who has gone astray and is leading others astray.

Did any of the imaams – Abu Haneefah, Maalik, al-Shaafi’i, Ahmad, al-Hasan al-Basri, Ibn Seereen – do this or command others to do it or say that it was good? By Allaah, no! It was not even mentioned during the first and best three centuries. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said in a saheeh hadeeth: “The best of mankind are my generation (or my century), then those who come after them, then those who come after them. Then there will come a people who will not care if their testimony comes before their oath or vice versa (i.e., they will not take such matter seriously).” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, Muslim and al-Tirmidhi). The celebration of the Prophet’s birthday appeared many centuries later, when many of the features of true religion had vanished and bid’ah had become widespread.

Thus this celebration became a sign of one’s love for the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)? But can it be possible that the Sahaabah, the imaams and the people of the best three centuries were unaware of it, and it was only those who came later who were aware of its importance?! What the Qur’aan tells us is that love of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is demonstrated by following the guidance he brought. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say (O Muhammad): ‘If you (really) love Allaah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your sins. And Allaah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

Say: ‘Obey Allaah and the Messenger.’ But if they turn away, then Allaah does not like the disbelievers.” [Aal ‘Imraan 3:31-32]

The first aayah explains that love is just a claim, but the proof of sincerity is following what the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) brought. The second aayah reaffirms the importance and necessity of obeying Allaah and His Messenger. Hence Allaah ended the aayah with a very stern warning in which those who refuse to obey are described as kaafirs, and Allah does not love the disbelievers. We ask Allaah to keep us safe from that. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told us of the danger of not obeying him, and the danger of adding to what he brought. The celebration of Mawlid or his birthday is indeed an addition to what he brought – as all the scholars agree. He said: “The best of speech is the Book of Allaah, and the best of guidance is the guidance of Muhammad. The most evil of things are those which are newly-invented (in religion), and every innovation is a going astray.” (Reported by Muslim and al-Nisaa’i).

We ask Allaah to protect us from bid’ah and to bless us by helping us to follow. Allaah knows best. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad.
May Allah bless you and your household abundantly, words cannot express how happy I am for this exciting write up and enlightenment, the best if guidance is that of the prophet
Re: Mawlid Al-nabi (the Prophet’s Birthday) by Cleverman2020: 4:37pm On Dec 09, 2016
IT PAINS ME DAT SOMEBODY WASTED HIS TIME IN WRITING A LONG FALLACY. MOULUD IS NOT ONLY PERMISSIBLE BUT AND ACT OF IBADAH. SINCE U KNOW IT IS BIDIAH....DONT CELEBRATE IT, IF ITS CELEBRATION WILL TAKE US TO HELL FIRE, WE ARE READY TO ENTER AND WE NEVER FORCED U JOIN US. I DONT WANT TO GO INTO EVIDENCES IN QURAN AND HADITH AGAIN AS MY USTAZ UP THEIR HAS SAID IT ALL. IF U ARE NOT HAPPY & CELEBRATE BECAUSE OF THE DAY YOUR PROPHET WAS BORN, THEN GO AND CELEBRATE THE DAY SATAN WAS CREATED OR CURSED. IT IS AN EXTREMIST LIKE U THAT MAKE PEOPLE TO HATE ISLAM (AS IF ITS NOT A RELIGION OF HAPPINESS AND TOLERANCE)...FACE UR OWN.

1 Like

Re: Mawlid Al-nabi (the Prophet’s Birthday) by ikupakuti(m): 9:02pm On Dec 09, 2016
Sufisunni:
Continue apportioning sin to people who r celebrating Mawlid ok, whereas ur sheikh Ibn taimiyya says is rewarding.

They are two-faced bigots...dont be suprised if they claim ibn taimiyya‘s approval of maulid (in his books) is a fabrication

They are ready to renounce anybody..even God, if he trys to mitigate any of their weird aqeedah

They are ready to quote anybody, even the devil sofar his‘ ready to support them

1 Like

Re: Mawlid Al-nabi (the Prophet’s Birthday) by Empiree: 5:46am On Mar 13, 2017
muhamadnur:
haram haram haram i hope they would listen,its like copying the christians or xmas. 9inches and i wonderd what brought ths as*hole here.
Sir, there can be NO NEW haram or halal anymore after the prophet was gone. So it is not the question of halal or haram. It is question of permisibility or not. Try to understand rulings on things

1 Like

Re: Mawlid Al-nabi (the Prophet’s Birthday) by muhamadnur: 10:10pm On Mar 13, 2017
Empiree:
Sir, there can be NO NEW haram or halal anymore after the prophet was gone. So it is not the question of halal or haram. It is question of permisibility or not. Try to understand rulings on things
what was it permissibility when it has no origin in Islam from birth
Re: Mawlid Al-nabi (the Prophet’s Birthday) by Empiree: 10:45pm On Mar 13, 2017
muhamadnur:
what was it permissibility when it has no origin in Islam from birth
That's not even the matter here. The matter is Haram and Halal.

Haram is CLEAR and Halal is CLEAR

(1) (Reply)

Some Hadith Classifications And Their Differences / Muslim Leaders Must Unite To Defeat False Promises Of Jihadists – Obama / Why Did Muhammad's Name Appear In Hindus Scripture?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.