Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,896 members, 7,817,641 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:09 PM

Honda Odyssey And Toyota Sienna,which Is Better? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Honda Odyssey And Toyota Sienna,which Is Better? (5009 Views)

Difference Between Lexus X300 And Toyota Highlander / Between Toyota Highlander And Toyota Venza(both 2010 Models) Which Is Better? / Toyota Sienna And Toyota Camry 2.2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Honda Odyssey And Toyota Sienna,which Is Better? by Lordscrown(m): 3:08pm On Jan 05, 2015
Hello house,
I'm about to get a space bus,so am looking at odyseey or sienna,considering. Bad roads and fuel. Consumption plus maintainance,which is advisable to go for?

And which model. Is. Good as well.
Re: Honda Odyssey And Toyota Sienna,which Is Better? by nurey(m): 3:16pm On Jan 05, 2015
Give us your budget and or model years you are looking at, but as I am looking at it, toyota sienna will win hands down.
I also use a toyota sienna 2000 model, I will be back with first hand review later.
Re: Honda Odyssey And Toyota Sienna,which Is Better? by moscobabs(m): 4:02pm On Jan 05, 2015
nurey:
Give us your budget and or model years you are looking at, but as I am looking at it, toyota sienna will win hands down.
I also use a toyota sienna 2000 model, I will be back with first hand review later.
bro what about Nissa quest 2000 model?
Re: Honda Odyssey And Toyota Sienna,which Is Better? by Lordscrown(m): 4:51pm On Jan 05, 2015
1999 sienna or 2003 odyseey...
nurey:
Re: Honda Odyssey And Toyota Sienna,which Is Better? by nurey(m): 7:25pm On Jan 05, 2015
moscobabs:

bro what about Nissa quest 2000 model?

I don't know much about that nissan quest, the first generation has one sliding door while the second generation has two and very beautiful but a first hand review has been given on this forum and the car was voted as ok.
Re: Honda Odyssey And Toyota Sienna,which Is Better? by nurey(m): 7:55pm On Jan 05, 2015
Lordscrown:
1999 sienna or 2003 odyseey...
I won't talk much on comparing the two but out of the two cars, the sienna is the prefered choice and the reason is not far fetched, that car is a solid rock automobile built to work and last and last, also check around the first generation sienna is one of the most common cars in Lagos sha. Reason also why it is the prefered choice for long distance interstate transportation (east and north from west).

Now the toyota sienna comes in one engine variant
1998-2000 3.0L V6 193hp
2001-2003 3.0L V6 210hp
Spotting the difference between them
1. The traficator back light of the 98-00 is yellow while that of 01-03 is white
2. The 01-03 has between the driver and passenger cup holder and box compartment.

The sienna has 4 trim levels
1.CE (kpangolo edition) which I drive. This edition has two variants one with roof rack and another without roof rack, don't buy one without roof rack makes the car ugly. All other trims have roof rack
2.LE (luxury edition)
3. XLE (extra luxury edition)
4. Symphony edition
5. Toyota Gold (it could be ce, le, xle but the words and logo would be gold colour instead of silver).

Ce has bench instead of captain arm chairs but the good thing is the bench can sit 3 people (managing level)
The Le, Xle has a button to open the small back windows but for Ce you have to open manually

The Xle and symphony have power sliding doors, which means no need to use handle just press a button and wala, the door opens and closes not available for le and ce

The xle and symphony have speakers on frames and the symphony has a special entertainment system

Some sienna have side step rails which is very rear but can be found in any trim

The AC is ok because it has rear vents in all trims the ram in the boot will also benefit

The major issues you will face is the back shock absorbers its likely you will change them soon also the outside handles of that car are rubbish they tend to spoil easily so be very careful I have used mine for 7months and they haven't come off.

As for the boot, it has a mind of its own, it opens when it likes always make sure you open it with the key not the central lock cause it often misbehaves when central lock or central open is used.

Maintenance of that vehicle is minimal and will take abuse easily but don't abuse it. Don't always let the front slam on bumps it could cause severe damage to exhaust or even gear seal. Though the under is well protected with metal sheets.

Sorry for the long epistle if u need more info just ask

10 Likes

Re: Honda Odyssey And Toyota Sienna,which Is Better? by ubiquitousade(m): 11:46pm On Jan 05, 2015
nurey:

I won't talk much on comparing the two but out of the two cars, the sienna is the prefered choice and the reason is not far fetched, that car is a solid rock automobile built to work and last and last, also check around the first generation sienna is one of the most common cars in Lagos sha. Reason also why it is the prefered choice for long distance interstate transportation (east and north from west).
1998-2000 3.0L V6 193hp
2001-2003 3.0L V6 210hp
1. The traficator back light of the 98-00 is yellow while that of 01-03 is white
2. The 01-03 has between the driver and passenger cup holder and box compartment.
1.CE (kpangolo edition) which I drive. This edition has two variants one with roof rack and another without roof rack, don't buy one without roof rack makes the car ugly. All other trims have roof rack
2.LE (luxury edition)
4. Symphony edition
5. Toyota Gold (it could be ce, le, xle but the words and logo would be gold colour instead of silver).
Ce has bench instead of captain arm chairs but the good thing is the bench can sit 3 people (managing level)
The Le, Xle has a button to open the small back windows but for Ce you have to open manually
The Xle and symphony have power sliding doors, which means no need to use handle just press a button and wala, the door opens and closes not available for le and ce
The xle and symphony have speakers on frames and the symphony has a special entertainment system
Some sienna have side step rails which is very rear but can be found in any trim
The AC is ok because it has rear vents in all trims the ram in the boot will also benefit
The major issues you will face is the back shock absorbers its likely you will change them soon also the outside handles of that car are rubbish they tend to spoil easily so be very careful I have used mine for 7months and they haven't come off.
As for the boot, it has a mind of its own, it opens when it likes always make sure you open it with the key not the central lock cause it often misbehaves when central lock or central open is used.
Maintenance of that vehicle is minimal and will take abuse easily but don't abuse it. Don't always let the front slam on bumps it could cause severe damage to exhaust or even gear seal. Though the under is well protected with metal sheets.

it is helpful

to answer the OP, I prefer d sienna. odysseys looks ordinary
Re: Honda Odyssey And Toyota Sienna,which Is Better? by moscobabs(m): 7:51am On Jan 06, 2015
nurey:

I don't know much about that nissan quest, the first generation has one sliding door while the second generation has two and very beautiful but a first hand review has been given on this forum and the car was voted as ok.
me too like the car because its beautiful
Re: Honda Odyssey And Toyota Sienna,which Is Better? by Export1: 11:33am On Jan 06, 2015
Based on our assessment of the Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna, AutoTrader recommends the 2014 Odyssey. Though the Sienna is expected to cause its owner less trouble in terms of reliability, the Honda shines with respect to other key purchase drivers. And while the deals are better for the Toyota, the Honda holds its value better over time. If you need a new minivan, the Odyssey delivers better gas mileage, a strong safety rating, more accessible and useful technology and a long-term value proposition.

Source: http://www.autotrader.com/research/article/car-reviews/217339/2014-honda-odyssey-vs-2014-toyota-sienna-which-is-better.jsp
Re: Honda Odyssey And Toyota Sienna,which Is Better? by Lordscrown(m): 4:37pm On Jan 06, 2015
Lolzzz,I need to pay u for this lecture bros..thanks. Handfull..
nurey:

1998-2000 3.0L V6 193hp
2001-2003 3.0L V6 210hp

2.LE (luxury edition)
4. Symphony edition

1 Like

Re: Honda Odyssey And Toyota Sienna,which Is Better? by starlingbawa(m): 8:03pm On Jan 06, 2015
I'd go for the Toyota Sienna anyday!!!
Re: Honda Odyssey And Toyota Sienna,which Is Better? by Ewuro4: 9:02pm On Jan 06, 2015
Sienna of course ... If it's affordable.
Re: Honda Odyssey And Toyota Sienna,which Is Better? by Nobody: 10:53pm On Jan 06, 2015
I have never seen a 1st gen sienna look abused buh i hv seen countless of Odysseys
Re: Honda Odyssey And Toyota Sienna,which Is Better? by Lordscrown(m): 3:43pm On Jan 14, 2015
Nurey d lecturer,I jst subscribedd to ur epitle oni jst got. Sienna 99 xle.so I'll need more epitle to maintain d car,u cld start with which oil to service it with and d gear oil too,thanks plenty
nurey:

1998-2000 3.0L V6 193hp
2001-2003 3.0L V6 210hp

2.LE (luxury edition)
4. Symphony edition

1 Like

Re: Honda Odyssey And Toyota Sienna,which Is Better? by nurey(m): 4:34pm On Jan 14, 2015
Lordscrown:
Nurey d lecturer,I jst subscribedd to ur epitle oni jst got. Sienna 99 xle.so I'll need more epitle to maintain d car,u cld start with which oil to service it with and d gear oil too,thanks plenty

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the family.
First off your recommended engine oil is 5W30 clearly written on the engine oil cover if you are in lagos, there are only 4 filling station that sell something close
1. MRS 5W40 (which I currently use) fully synthetic 5L for 6600
2. Forte oil fully synthetic container is brownich in colour 7500 for 4L and 2000 for 1L making 9500 for 5L
3.Total 5W40 8500 for 5L
4.Mobile don't really know the price

If you are buying tokunbo, don't bother about the ATF for now but after a year you can get the recommended. On your dipstick you find stated there that dextron III should be used but dextron III authenticity has been compromised so you will need toyota type T-IV for your ATF now, I have not changed mine before but you can look around.

Be very mindful and gentle of the outside car handles, they tend to get spoilt if not well managed.

If you are carrying too many loads and people I would advice you loosen the extra tire under cause it tends to hit ground on bad roads also if you notice the transporters they have a way of extending the rear springs which gives the car a good ground clearance (I didn't adjust mine so can't give you are working price)

If the Horn start misbehaving it is not a DIY I did mine for 2k only a qualified mecho can loosen the steering column.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

The Meaning Of O/D Botton On Automatic Gear Selector In Cars / 20 Reasons We Should All Drive Manual Cars / 6 Causes Of Smelly Car Exhaust Fumes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.