Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,156 members, 7,818,496 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:21 PM

What Every CFA Level 1 Candidate Should Know! - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Every CFA Level 1 Candidate Should Know! (27938 Views)

CFA Level 1 December 2015 Meets Here / Cfa Vs Acca Which Is Harder / CFA Candidates In The House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Every CFA Level 1 Candidate Should Know! by chamber2(m): 12:18pm On Jan 03, 2012
violet

you seem to be knowledgeable in this IB thingy. What would be your advise to someone with not too prestigious MBA who wants to get into the IB field; either in 9ja or somewhere else? LBS no be beans oh.

I am becoming very complacent about this CFA thing. It takes longer period and the pass rate is abysmally low. Also, everybody seems to be doing it now. I am considering a University of Durham Msc Econs and Finance in its stead.
Re: What Every CFA Level 1 Candidate Should Know! by violent(m): 3:15pm On Jan 03, 2012
In my experience, and like i mentioned earlier, if you are the average Joe in all respect, you'd need more than a bit of luck to get into IB, at least in UK, Europe or the Americas.

The average Joe is the dude with a 2:1 in a finance/economics related course from a University of "where the hell is that", with no other skill to offer.  Things become worse if the individual is not very aesthetically pleasing to the eyes, has an annoying accent, is not arrogant/confident and cannot even convince a kid that santa claus is real.

People tend to stand out from average Joes' by snapping up qualifications like CFAs, CIAI, FRMs and maybe even MBA, but this designations tend to lose their appeals quickly once "everyone" owns one, or in bad markets where employers are doing the laying off instead of hiring.

My advise for anyone trying to get into IB is to build a "cache" of skills that are salable rather than a bagful of designations.

Those skills may include programming in VBA, C#, mathematica, C++ or python.  others may include very strong financial modelling skills or even sharp knowledge of econometrics. I'm aware that only very few boutiques or banks have people with skills in risk attribution and even fewer banks have people with skills of Fixed Income attribution (most boutiques are still struggling with this) . . . .Having a combination of these skills sets will likely put you way ahead of people with CFA designations or average MBAs and will also keep you in a Job when the tides rise and fall.  As a matter of fact, the company i work with recently turned down a few people who have completed all three CFA exams and offered the position to a guy who has spent only a few months seriously analyzing and freely blogging about the basic materials industry in the UK.

You shouldn't however get me wrong, passing the CFA exams is still seen as an impressive effort, however,  I'm convinced that this will likely help you more when you are already within the industry, than when you are just attempting to get in.  Additionally, the CFA is more suitable for Asset Management than Investment Banking, if you are planning to get in the latter, an MBA will do you a lot of good than the CFA. . . you may also look into short seminars offered at INSEAD on a regular basis.  These aren't very expensive, but will probably put your CV in a better perspective.  There was a short 3 day seminar on M&A sometime around June last year. . . an MSc Econs and Finance is practically useless if you already have the knowledge.  It probably wouldn't increase your chances of getting into IB.

I'm not very sure how things work out in 9ija.

Re: What Every CFA Level 1 Candidate Should Know! by chamber2(m): 3:36pm On Jan 03, 2012
Thanks violent.

You nailed it. I wish people will get to know all these and plan their entry strategy well, not packing loads of certifications. We in 9ja like certificates alot you know grin
Re: What Every CFA Level 1 Candidate Should Know! by omaojo1: 12:47pm On Jan 05, 2012
@ Violet.

Thanks for the contribution and insight.

Personally, i would have gone for an LBS MiF but for finance; with LBS, you can never go wrong especially with the MBA.
Re: What Every CFA Level 1 Candidate Should Know! by bukkytroni: 3:17pm On Jan 05, 2012
omaojo1:

If you really want a qualification that gives the 'i can do all things" spirit in finance , a designation that sets you apart, and one that make people seek your opinion before taking a decision, then go for CFA. My boss respects me because of CFA and what I always bring to the table. And come to think of it, you can never remain the same with CFA in terms of the knowledge or value you add to yourself.

Well said.

I can guarantee you, by the time you are through with CFA L1 alone, most of these questions about what to do next will have found automatic answers. Even at your place of work, your company will be amazed how much you have learnt just in less than 6 months, preparing for L1. Quantitative Mechanics, Portfolio Management, Corporate Finance (Capital Budgeting), Financial Reporting and Analysis etc.

Just by using knowledge gained from Financial Reporting and Analysis, financial modelling became very easy because I understood all the variables and how to manipulate them with basic knowledge of excel.

Truly, having ANY certification doesnt guarantee you a job, but your level of reasoning and contribution never stays the same. You are better equipped to make more accurate decision and have a better picture of things and what career path to take.

pls clarify is LBS London Business School or Lagos Business School?

I know people who finished from Lagos Business School and yet dont have a job yet.

MBA itself doesnt guarantee a job. ONLY God.

All these are just ways to better position oneself for greater opportunities,
Re: What Every CFA Level 1 Candidate Should Know! by chamber2(m): 3:36pm On Jan 05, 2012
LBS--London Business School that's the one that was referred to here.
Re: What Every CFA Level 1 Candidate Should Know! by cola: 6:43pm On Jun 01, 2012
bump
Re: What Every CFA Level 1 Candidate Should Know! by homebase(m): 2:01am On Jul 11, 2013
Becoming Chartered Financial Analyst make one skills marketable anywhere in the world.
Because the CFA designation is a global brand unlike some local base professional certifications.

This site http://www.cfaplanet.com fuel my motivation and intention to really pursue my remaining cfa level ii and level iii that have been dragging to complete. Wow i love those salary scales.
Re: What Every CFA Level 1 Candidate Should Know! by Iykecent: 11:42am On Sep 30, 2013
Hello pals, pls I need level one materials for June 2014 exams to assist me read n prepare early. Kindly assist if you can. I hope to register by January 2014. Innocentike@gmail.com, 08082547173. Many thanks.
Re: What Every CFA Level 1 Candidate Should Know! by oneblacboi: 7:15am On Dec 31, 2013
Have you heard about the CFA Access Scholarships?

Find out how you can win a CFA Scholarship

http://www.davidapaflo.com/2013/08/how-i-won-scholarship-from-cfa-institute.html
Re: What Every CFA Level 1 Candidate Should Know! by houseoftuition: 1:15am On Aug 28, 2014
You can now get Chartered from the comfort of your own house at www.IcanLectures.com.ng Even if you are new to the Curriculum,with no previous knowledge, it is our diligent commitment and promise to you, that nevertheless, YOU WILL PASS.

Stay in the comfort of your home or office and we'll bring you as perfect an understanding as is humanly possible.
Give us a try and see that these are no mere words.

Regards
The IcanLectures.com.ng Team
Re: What Every CFA Level 1 Candidate Should Know! by pioneer: 10:04am On Sep 10, 2014
For your ICAN/ACCA/CIMA lectures, contact Excel
Associates.

Excel Associates is a foremost professional tuition
centre located in Ikorodu that provides lectures for
ATS, ICAN, ACCA, CISA and other programmes. For
enquiries, contact - 07081834869, 09092159476 or e-
mail: excelassociates2020@gmail.com,
info.excelassociates@gmail.com
Re: What Every CFA Level 1 Candidate Should Know! by houseoftuition: 4:27pm On Sep 10, 2014
You can now become a Chartered Accountant from the comfort of your own house at www.IcanLectures.com.ng Even if you are new to the Curriculum,with no previous knowledge, it is our diligent commitment and promise to you, that nevertheless, YOU WILL PASS.

Stay in the comfort of your home or office and we'll bring you as perfect an understanding as is humanly possible.
Give us a try and see that these are no mere words.

Warm Regards
The IcanLectures.com.ng Team
Re: What Every CFA Level 1 Candidate Should Know! by CFAMadeEasy: 9:19am On Dec 02, 2017
For your 2018 CFA study materials level 1-3 (notes) both hard and soft copies available, qbank also available too.

Call/WhatsApp 08055047648
Re: What Every CFA Level 1 Candidate Should Know! by analystk: 4:47pm On Jan 01, 2019
First Quartile Professionals (FQ) will resume preparatory classes for the May and June 2019 FRM and CFA exams, respectively.

There will be Open Day on Saturday, 5 January, 2019 where we will answer all your questions about the CFA and FRM exams. We will also explain how to pass these exams, and why we are your best bet in exam prep.

Venue: First Quartile Professionals, A11/12 Patsy Plaza, 359 Ebitu Ukiwe Street, beside Madugu Hotel, Opposite RCCG Desire of Nations,
Jabi, Abuja.
Time: 11am
Phone no: 08088289520
e-mail: info@firstquartileprofessionals.com

CFA Approved Calculators available:
Texas Instruments BA II Plus
Texas Instruments BA II Plus Professional
HP 12C Platinum

Visit www.firstquartileprofessionals.com for more details.

We look forward to working with you as your FRM and CFA exam prep partner.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Are Some Female Customer Care Assistant Bankers Hyper-reactive? / 620k Job In Nigeria Vs Msc In UK? Please Advise / One Bumpy Semester Made Him Drop Out Of School, Now He’s A Cattle Seller

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.