Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,809 members, 7,817,346 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:42 AM

What Is Green About The American Green Card? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Is Green About The American Green Card? (1644 Views)

Adjustment Of Status (aos) From F1, K1, F2, Etc To Green Card (usa Only!) / Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) / 20 Million Naira Or Green Card: Which Would You Choose? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Green About The American Green Card? by Mist100: 5:07pm On Jan 06, 2015
I see lots of employed people giving up their entire livelihood for an American visa and eventually the American green card. Peter, a friend I used to hang out with in a local bar back then in mile 2 resigned from being a junior analyst in a FOREX company, sold his car, his fathers house and
borrowed N800,000 from his fiancee to travel to the USA. My friend raised nearly N5,000,000. A whooping N5million. Finally he flew into the USA in June, 2011 to hussle. The hopes of family,friends and fiancee were as high as kilimanjaro. He owed us including me because I offered prayers too. I frowned at his lavishing N5m on an uncertain trip while secretly nursing the idea of traveling too if he makes it real big. After all, the tales back home sounds like dollars are picked from trees like agbalumo (Chery fruit).

Truthfully, I started dreaming like Osofia and his fiance started planning on having a child that will be
born clinching to an American green card. He usually calls every week but we mostly do mails. In one of our correspondences he complained of not being able to secure a descent office job in spite of his finance degree, only menial jobs. I advised him to brush up with school while he does the menial jobs for now. He started work as a dish washer in a 3 star hotel then a scavenger for a collecting house then a fair job as a massager. Now he massages old people.
www.businessinlagos..com
Re: What Is Green About The American Green Card? by Mist100: 5:08pm On Jan 06, 2015
He has been saving but not enough for tuition, gas, electricity, tax etc. The only thing Peter has sent to his fiance is an old Nokia phone that can't be unlocked. All the engineers in Nigeria have tried to unlock this gadget but left the thing feeling really bad. His parents are bitter and the girlfriend partially blames me for not advising him appropriately. Is it my fault? after all I prayed, we all prayed. Peter hasn't saved up enough to offset his debts back home. Other children are demanding their share of their fathers' house and his fiance wants her N800,000. She is expecting a baby and needs the money for child support. I wonder when Peter came to Nigeria and got his fiance pregnant in the midst of his challenges.

My friends Visa expired in 2013 and now he is stuck.

No doubts, America is a highly sophisticated and developed nation that promises several opportunities through her free enterprise system but the grass is not always greener at the other side. Its fine to look oversees if you are unemployed and doing nothing to create economic value as long as you don't mortgage your future. If its possible to raise N2,000,000 for a trip to the USA why wouldnt you think of some form of investments back home. Yes its difficult because the operating environment is stifflingbut its very possible. This is not to say there are not successful people who have travelled but count your cost and have your plans before you leap.

www.businessinlagos..com
Re: What Is Green About The American Green Card? by select500: 6:00pm On Jan 06, 2015
It seems your friend travelled with a visiting visa, which has now expired. If he actually has a Green Card, then he will definately have more opportunities open to him.
Re: What Is Green About The American Green Card? by Mist100: 7:33pm On Jan 06, 2015
select500:
It seems your friend travelled with a visiting visa, which has now expired. If he actually has a Green Card, then he will definately have more opportunities open to him.

Nooooo.. he doesnt have a green card yet. He was given a 2years Visa in 2011.
Re: What Is Green About The American Green Card? by zeezahbee(f): 1:17pm On Jan 08, 2015
Mist100:

Nooooo.. he doesnt have a green card yet. He was given a 2years Visa in 2011.
Well that is the reason was he's doing menial job, if he's lucky he could get married for the green card , if not it might take him years and if he gets in trouble , he will be thoroughly dealt with
Re: What Is Green About The American Green Card? by Afam4eva(m): 4:44am On Jan 10, 2015
With a green card, the possibilities are endless if you possess what is required of you. You don't just wake up up one money and decide to travel to the US without having any concrete plan. He may have to take another university course because i doubt his Nigerian finance degree will be of any use over there. Btw, if he could raise up to 5 million, why not use it to start something instead of plunging it into something that is uncertain.
Re: What Is Green About The American Green Card? by Nobody: 11:51am On Jan 10, 2015
He is an illegal immigrant...what was he expecting?
Re: What Is Green About The American Green Card? by Mist100: 4:55pm On Jan 12, 2015
Afam4eva:
With a green card, the possibilities are endless if you possess what is required of you. You don't just wake up up one money and decide to travel to the US without having any concrete plan. He may have to take another university course because i doubt his Nigerian finance degree will be of any use over there. Btw, if he could raise up to 5 million, why not use it to start something instead of plunging it into something that is uncertain.

my initial argument exactly. But if you talk too much it would look like you do not want him to travel
Re: What Is Green About The American Green Card? by Mist100: 4:56pm On Jan 12, 2015
bossladyMo:
He is an illegal immigrant...what was he expecting?

Bros he was not before 2013. He had valid documents.
Re: What Is Green About The American Green Card? by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jan 12, 2015
Mist100:

Bros he was not before 2013. He had valid documents.

Anybody who holds a tourist visa, but works abroad, is doing so illegally. He or she can't get good employment positions because no company would employ you without proper visa checks.

(1) (Reply)

Holiday Rental In The US / Pls From Anambra To Delta State Would Cost How Much? / How To Immediately End Yahoo Yahoo In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.