Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,167 members, 7,815,071 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:46 AM

Need Advice!!! Can Ssshe Win This Fight - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Need Advice!!! Can Ssshe Win This Fight (784 Views)

My Sister Is Married To The Most Chronic Cheat Ever. Please I Need Advice / Please Help Me! I'm Extremely Confused & Need Advice / I Caught My Father FUCKING My Wife,i Feel Helpless – I Need Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Need Advice!!! Can Ssshe Win This Fight by AltarBoy1: 7:37pm On Jan 09, 2015
A friend of mins back in the university lost her husband due to car accident around october last year. The marriage is abt 4yrs with two kids. Now, since after the burial, her in laws have taken over her hubby bizness against her wish. They are tryn to force her sign away the business to them with the promise that they will place her on monthly stipend.
Now she is calling on all her lawyer friends to advice her cos she said that she is willing and ready to fight the in laws to any lenght in other to safe guard her hubby's biznx.

Now, am just thinking, can she win this fight going through the law, since her hubby didnt leave any will and they didnt go for court marriage.

Matured mind plz.
Re: Need Advice!!! Can Ssshe Win This Fight by delishpot: 7:43pm On Jan 09, 2015
AltarBoy1:
A friend of mins back in the university lost her husband due to car accident around october last year. The marriage is abt 4yrs with two kids. Now, since after the burial, her in laws have taken over her hubby bizness against her wish. They are tryn to force her sign away the business to them with the promise that they will place her on monthly stipend.
Now she is calling on all her lawyer friends to advice her cos she said that she is willing and ready to fight the in laws to any lenght in other to safe guard her hubby's biznx.

Now, am just thinking, can she win this fight going through the law, since her hubby didnt leave any will and they didnt go for court marriage.

Matured mind plz.

She can as long as she is married to the man. The court may decide to share it or give her full rights to the mans business depending on what facts his people have and what facts she has too. But all in all, as his wife with two kids from the union, she has a good chance to win.
Re: Need Advice!!! Can Ssshe Win This Fight by Nobody: 7:43pm On Jan 09, 2015
Stupid inlaws. They wait for the man to die, then they try and collect the man's properties. She should fight to the end! She has kids for pete's sake! She has to take care of 'em. embarassed
Re: Need Advice!!! Can Ssshe Win This Fight by starlingbawa(m): 8:18pm On Jan 09, 2015
The in-laws are just thieves and foolish people. Whatever the man had before he died "SOLELY' belongs to the woman and her children now.

Those in-laws clamoring for the dead man's properties especially the men folks should put themselves in the same 'EXACT' position and check critically if it's fair enough, what they intend on doing to this woman.

she should fight them with everything she's got!

1 Like

Re: Need Advice!!! Can Ssshe Win This Fight by mutter(f): 8:27pm On Jan 09, 2015
A court marriage is not superior to a customary marriage. If she married him traditionaly then the property is subject to customary law and you naturally the property belongs to the kid`s and noone else. If the kid`s are very young the court might have to look into it.
There is this danger of a wife taking the property into her new husbands home if she remarries.
So whoever manages the property is doing so on behalf of the kids.
That now depends on her getting a good lawyer.

2 Likes

Re: Need Advice!!! Can Ssshe Win This Fight by AltarBoy1: 8:29pm On Jan 09, 2015
Thanks for the response so far. What the in laws are doing to her isnt fair. Most time I just wish that the husband had a will before he died. Am pretty sure all these could have been easy. Pple can be wicked sha.
Re: Need Advice!!! Can Ssshe Win This Fight by AltarBoy1: 8:31pm On Jan 09, 2015
mutter:
A court marriage is not superior to a customary marriage. If she married him traditionaly then the property is subject to customary law and you naturally the property belongs to the kid`s and noone else. If the kid`s are very young the court might have to look into it.
There is this danger of a wife taking the property into her new husbands home if she remarries.
So whoever manages the property is doing so on behalf of the kids.
That now depends on her getting a good lawyer.
The kids are less than 5yrs put to together. Thats the more reason the in laws are all over the place making noise.
Re: Need Advice!!! Can Ssshe Win This Fight by simpleseyi: 8:32pm On Jan 09, 2015
starlingbawa:
The in-laws are just thieves and foolish people. Whatever the man had before he died "SOLELY' belongs to the woman and her children now.

Those in-laws clamoring for the dead man's properties especially the men folks should put themselves in the same 'EXACT' position and check critically if it's fair enough, what they intend on doing to this woman.

she should fight them with everything she's got!

What about the dead man's parents? Don't they deserve anything? What about if the dead man's parents are aged? What about the brothers and sisters of the dead man? Don't they deserve anything too? When the man was alive, was he not giving his parents and siblings anything? Do you know how the man started the business? Do you know if the parents contributed their pension, brothers and sisters too source for funds for the dead man to start the business?

This is the same thing Stella Damascus tried with the Aboderins after the dead of her husband, some of us know the how the story ended. Stop seeing in-laws as devils because you are also someone's in-law.

1 Like

Re: Need Advice!!! Can Ssshe Win This Fight by mutter(f): 8:35pm On Jan 09, 2015
Well they better look for an out of court settlement and get administrators for the mans estate. Maybe herself and a brother. Because this property is not for her but for the kids. It is also not meant for any future kids she might have or man that she may marry. The interest of the children is priority.

1 Like

Re: Need Advice!!! Can Ssshe Win This Fight by starlingbawa(m): 8:50pm On Jan 09, 2015
simpleseyi:

What about the dead man's parents? Don't they deserve anything? What about if the dead man's parents are aged? What about the brothers and sisters of the dead man? Don't they deserve anything too? When the man was alive, was he not giving his parents and siblings anything? Do you know how the man started the business? Do you know if the parents contributed their pension, brothers and sisters too source for funds for the dead man to start the business?

This is the same thing Stella Damascus tried with the Aboderins after the dead of her husband, some of us know the how the story ended. Stop seeing in-laws as devils because you are also someone's in-law.

I agree with you 100%, no doubt I HONESTLY do!. now, the question is, are the in-laws towing this line of action like you rightly mentioned? if they do, then there's absolutely no reason why they shouldn't benefit from the dead man's 'pool of wealth'.

The fact that they want to dictate to the wife is what I'm vehemently against.

I give you an instance: My father died a while back and the moment news broke out that he had passed on, a certain uncle of mine immediately requested that my mom handed over the keys to the cars as well as other valuable documents to him back then. Can you imagine that was his first response.

As an individual and having learnt from past experience as it affects me, I had to advise my "OWN" brothers to ensure that all documents had their wives names on them just to avert a similar situation like the one we re presently analyzing.

Finally, I think a fair balance would be to have a family meeting inclusive of the wife on how 'BEST' to share the man's properties and not necessarily forcing the woman's hands. I'm sure you'd agree too?

(1) (Reply)

A Must Know Before Marriage / Single Mom With 4 Kids Can’t Afford Groceries: Now Watch The Man Behind Her. / How Do You Cope?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.