Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,749 members, 7,955,859 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 05:15 PM

Factors That Raised The Best Ever Super Eagles In Tunisia & Usa 1994 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Factors That Raised The Best Ever Super Eagles In Tunisia & Usa 1994 (1808 Views)

Enyimba Stoned During Training In Tunisia (CAF Champions League) / Help!!! Where Can I Get The Classic Nigeria Jersey Of USA 1994 Worldcup / Nosa Igiebor Injured After Attack On Eagles In Ethiopia. Eagles Set New Record. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Factors That Raised The Best Ever Super Eagles In Tunisia & Usa 1994 by Olaolufred(m): 7:40am On Dec 17, 2008
Administration: (1) Westerhof was a good tactician, because of this was given free hand to operate.
(2) Westerhof did not need to always meet NFA thieves before his demands are met.
(3) Emeka Omeruah was very supportive because he so much love the game.
(4) Vice Admiral Augustus Aikhomu(vice president) was an ardent sports lover who was a pillar
behind Westerhoff.
(5) Westerhoff demands easily gets attended to because of the vice president then(Aikhomu).
(6) Westerhoff does not tolerate indiscipline in his team.
(7) Armed Robbers like Amos Adamu have not been able to Hijack NFA then.

This are the few i can list. I know Nairalanders knows more.

So, what are these factors that contributed to the raising of a Team with CHARACTER that shocked the World at USA '94?
Re: Factors That Raised The Best Ever Super Eagles In Tunisia & Usa 1994 by Olaolufred(m): 7:54am On Dec 17, 2008
Incidence:

Siasia had a very good move in a match against Cot' d' Ivoire.
He needed only a pass to a more positioned Team mate for them to Score a goal.
Lo, Siasia selfishly blew p the chance.
Discipline:

Siasia was replaced with Amokachi who stole away Jersey completely through that one opportunity.
Since then, Siasia starts most matches from bench.

The Team is a highly competitive Team.
Re: Factors That Raised The Best Ever Super Eagles In Tunisia & Usa 1994 by tkb417(m): 8:38am On Dec 17, 2008
the koko was that our players were hungry for success. Not many of them were playing abroad. They wanted to die on the field playing for Nigeria.

Now, too much money now dey cause katakata. Mikel Obi na perfect example
Re: Factors That Raised The Best Ever Super Eagles In Tunisia & Usa 1994 by akinalabi(m): 10:17am On Dec 17, 2008
The 1980 team was better than the 1994 team in my opinion.

Olaolufred:

Siasia was replaced with Amokachi who stole away Jersey completely through that one opportunity.

The Team is a highly competitive Team.[/color]

Sia Sia was regular at the world cup playing in the midddle
with Oliseh.
Re: Factors That Raised The Best Ever Super Eagles In Tunisia & Usa 1994 by tkb417(m): 10:37am On Dec 17, 2008
The 1980 team was better than the 1994 team in my opinion.
Nope!! They couldnt qualify for WC

Sia Sia was regular at the world cup playing in the midddle
with Oliseh.
are u sure? i tot we had Oliseh, Oliha in d mid
Re: Factors That Raised The Best Ever Super Eagles In Tunisia & Usa 1994 by akinalabi(m): 10:59am On Dec 17, 2008
There were no world cup qualifiers in 79/80. The players got
into their peak then and by the time the qualifiers came later,
the team was past it.

For instance, remember Chukwu retired after the tourney and
he had to be begged out of retiremnt by Nwobodo to play in a
crucial qualifier which we promptly lost.

We didnt even go past the first round two years later in Libya.

At USA 94, Oliseh and Sia Sia started in the middle against
Bulgaria, Argentina and Greece. Then against Italy, JayJay
paired with Oliseh.
Re: Factors That Raised The Best Ever Super Eagles In Tunisia & Usa 1994 by tkb417(m): 12:31pm On Dec 17, 2008
There were no world cup qualifiers in 79/80. The players got
into their peak then and by the time the qualifiers came later,
the team was past it.

yeah i know they didnt play WC qualifiers in 79/80 but a good team is not a team that can only shine for just a year. the crux of the 80 team started playing 2geda from 77 i think. They were not good enuff to go to the WC in 78 and 82 why?
the reason why they won the Nations cup in 80 was because it was hosted in Nigeria.
Check the WC qualifiers that team played those years, they always lose away! If that 1980 africa cup of nations was hosted say in cairo, we would have lost. Thats what the 94 team had. they went to the far north and conquered and they also showed brightly at the WC.
My opinion thou

At USA 94, Oliseh and Sia Sia started in the middle against
Bulgaria, Argentina and Greece. Then against Italy, JayJay
paired with Oliseh.
ok. its fine
Re: Factors That Raised The Best Ever Super Eagles In Tunisia & Usa 1994 by Jarus(m): 1:33pm On Dec 17, 2008
Hungry players: The players were hungry for success
Discipline Disciplined coach, able to instil discipline into team. Had a firm grip of team
Saner Administration The FA was much better
Re: Factors That Raised The Best Ever Super Eagles In Tunisia & Usa 1994 by kaypumpin2(m): 2:24pm On Dec 17, 2008
Olaolufred:

Incidence:

Siasia had a very good move in a match against Cot' d' Ivoire.
He needed only a pass to a more positioned Team mate for them to Score a goal.
Lo, Siasia selfishly blew p the chance.

Discipline:

The Team is a highly competitive Team.

Suffice to state that the player Siasia was supposed to pass to was Rashidi Yekini during a match in Abidjan and yeah it was to begin his resignation to the bench.
Apart from Westerhof technical know-how,it must be stated that Westerhof had time and chance.He started building his team from Algiers 90 through Senegal 92 to Tunisia 94/USA 94.Westerhof can indeed be credited with the career rise and surge of players like Finidi and Amokachi.Who can ever forget the maulin of Burkina Faso by 7 goals and Finidi brilliant run down the right flank.That period,Nigerian players were hungry and anyone with any trait of indiscipline was thoroughly dealt with and rightly so by Westerhof,who was seconded by Bonfrere then.

One factor to be considered also was the emergence of our young team(under-17),that won the Japan 93 under-17 tourney.That team,coached by the wobble and fumble exponent,Fanny Amum had players like Kanu,C.babayaro,Oruma et al who will later peak and also form an integral of the glorious years of naija football by winning the "96 Olympic gold medal.

93 we won the under 17 world cup.By 94 we won the nations cup,was the best fifth team in the world and lost narrowly to Italy in USA94 in one of the best game of the tourney.By 96 we won the Olympic gold medal.

That era was indeed the best for us soccer wise.Indeed it was one thing the Abacha allies was willingly using as a poli[i]trick[/i] campaign then. grin
Re: Factors That Raised The Best Ever Super Eagles In Tunisia & Usa 1994 by Sauron1: 3:10pm On Dec 17, 2008
The reason Westerhof succeeded was SIMPLE. . . . . . .Westerhof MADE those players.

He was the one that engineered their moves to various clubs in Europe.
Westerhof was regarded as their Godfather. . . . . . . .There was maximum respect.
These days, Kanu's take home pay is Amodu's annual pay and Nigerians are known for their arrogance and school-boy petulance.
It's all about how much do u make. . . . .I make more money than you. . . . . .I play in Europe so i know better than you.
There's no discipline and the players plying their trade in Europe constitute nuisance to the team.
Re: Factors That Raised The Best Ever Super Eagles In Tunisia & Usa 1994 by A40(m): 5:37pm On Dec 17, 2008
We are yet to hire a manager to command this players respect football nowadays is not the same as it used to be
Re: Factors That Raised The Best Ever Super Eagles In Tunisia & Usa 1994 by DrKitaun(m): 8:20pm On Dec 17, 2008
~Sauron~:

The reason Westerhof succeeded was SIMPLE. . . . . . .Westerhof MADE those players.

He was the one that engineered their moves to various clubs in Europe.
Westerhof was regarded as their Godfather. . . . . . . .There was maximum respect.
These days, Kanu's take home pay is Amodu's annual pay and Nigerians are known for their arrogance and school-boy petulance.
It's all about how much do u make. . . . .I make more money than you. . . . . .I play in Europe so i know better than you.
There's no discipline and the players plying their trade in Europe constitute nuisance to the team.

absolutely correct !
Re: Factors That Raised The Best Ever Super Eagles In Tunisia & Usa 1994 by bgees(m): 6:33pm On Dec 18, 2008
the '94 team had what every good team should have. they had discipline, they were patriotic, they were hungry( before then, nigeria wasnt a big name in a african football) above all, they had a great coach in westerhoff. a coach who really knew the job.

we can't do well in 2010 ,if we qualify. not with amodu.

(1) (Reply)

Fly Eagle Wins South Korea: whats your rating on their current perfomance / Official: Chelsea Agree Diego Costa deal / Messi Far Better Than Ronaldo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.