Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,748 members, 7,809,860 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:07 PM

The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... (26390 Views)

Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. / Ekiti As The Largest Subgroup Of The Yorubas / To The Yorubas, Have You Ever Been Told To Ask For Arodan? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by Sanchez01: 7:29pm On Jan 15, 2015
Well, I'm not Yoruba though but I was born in Lagos and it automatically makes me onesmiley. At a very tender age, my baby sis and I would trouble mum over whatever she eats. Then on this fateful day, we just wanted to have a taste of what she was eating and she asked me to go call 'abimo ma jeun' (she who gives birth and not eat) at a family friend's house about two streets away. The deal was once I find him I should just come home and share with her. My naive self dashed out and ran my life out, ignorant of what the word meantsad(we were raised strictly with 'Geesi' and I had no idea what the word meant). It was quite funny because when I got to mum's friend's house, she laughed for over 5 minutes and I stood there, clueless like Goodluck Jonathansad. It was painful, by the time I returned home, mum was through and she had the effontery to ask me if I found him. It was annoying.

23 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by Beamborla(f): 7:31pm On Jan 15, 2015
ARODAN actually means STAND STILL
Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by msjaybee: 7:35pm On Jan 15, 2015
AbuMikey:
I was never a stubborn Kid, at home
so are you stubborn away from home?
Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by Beamborla(f): 7:36pm On Jan 15, 2015
Sanchez01:
Well, I'm not Yoruba though but I was born in Lagos and it automatically makes me onesmiley. At a very tender age, my baby sis and I would trouble mum over whatever she eats. Then on this fateful day, we just wanted to have a taste of what she was eating and she asked me to go call 'abimo ma jeun' (she who gives birth and not eat) at a family friend's house about two streets away. The deal was once I find him I should just come home and share with her. My naive self dashed out and ran my life out, ignorant of what the word meantsad(we were raised strictly with 'Geesi' and I had no idea what the word meant). It was quite funny because when I got to mum's friend's house, she laughed for over 5 minutes and I stood there, clueless like Goodluck Jonathansad. It was painful, by the time I returned home, mum was through and she had the effontery to ask me if I found him. It was annoying.

Lol... this really made me miss my mum right now cos till now, she still still ask me to look for 'Abimo ma jeun'. Just that I know the meanig right from the onset so I always wait for her to relax a little and grab as much as I can and run away if possible.

1 Like

Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by Nobody: 7:48pm On Jan 15, 2015
Chai, angry angry. Growing up, my mom and a neighbor show us pepper with this stuff. Indeed ignorance is bliss. Na so we go dey pack ourselves go long distance errands all in the name of "Oyemuni-nwa-erife" (Who born pikin no dey chop?) Only found out what it meant a few years ago. Looking back, it wasn't a bad childhood afterall. God be praised we are alive to laugh it off. cheesy cheesy.

6 Likes

Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by Hero10001: 7:54pm On Jan 15, 2015
ogaofficer:
O boy no be small thing o o. . . The VICTIM felt like cryin. Gone are those days when children were humble coupled with full respect for elders whereby they can be order around anyhow. If you try that with kids of nwadays you wont like the look on their face esp the females. Some kids will be like "what the mess is ARODAN"
holy cow !

1 Like

Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by africanqueen111(f): 7:55pm On Jan 15, 2015
Dis is wht literature calls "culture shock". I neva knew or experienced such
Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by Horrlah(f): 7:58pm On Jan 15, 2015
I cnt even count d number of times my mom n aunt sent me to get arodon
Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by yomanovic: 7:59pm On Jan 15, 2015
Beamborla:

Lol... this really made me miss my mum right now cos till now, she still still ask me to look for 'Abimo ma jeun'. Just that I know the meanig right from the onset so I always wait for her to relax a little and grab as much as I can and run away if possible.

Bimbo, you are beautiful.
Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by Nobody: 7:59pm On Jan 15, 2015
Sanchez01:

grin grin cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by mcfynest(m): 8:03pm On Jan 15, 2015
koice:
I will never try that with my kid oo. How can you send your kid on a meaningless erand in a world that is full of child molesters, kidnappers and ritualists? Madness.

HEY BRO, ITS EITHER YOU ARE NOT YORUBA OR YOU GREW UP IN THE EXTREMLY RICH PART OF THE YORUBA LAND, THE WORLD WASNT FULL OF THOSE PERVERTS BANK THEN! WHO WAN MOLEST YOU DURING MILITARY REGIME

3 Likes

Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by Beamborla(f): 8:09pm On Jan 15, 2015
yomanovic:

Bimbo, you are beautiful.
shocked

Thanks!

#$HY#

And you are most handsome smiley
Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by RaeMystix: 8:14pm On Jan 15, 2015
I just asked my mom what it meant...That's mean grin grin grin
Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by ajebuter(f): 8:16pm On Jan 15, 2015
Arodan! Now that's a funny coded prank played on troublesome kids by their mom or grand mom. I can bet even modern and young moms don't know what it is not to talk of playing the prank on their kids because they are too busy with fashion and English language, lol.
Anyway, when a child is restless and troublesome and the mom or grand mom need a quiet time, she sends the child to a neighbor to collect 'arodan', a coded language indicating that the mom needs quiet time, the neighbor will send the child to another neighbor, then the next neighbor will send him to the next, and the next to the next and next and next. By the time the child goes back to his mom, he is so exhausted and will fall asleep. Then the mom will have her quiet time... Very funny prank!

1 Like

Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by Sanchez01: 8:27pm On Jan 15, 2015
Beamborla:

Lolz... Lucky you, compared to my innocent self. It's over 20 years though but the disappoint still resonates cry
Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by Ishilove: 8:33pm On Jan 15, 2015
Scrypt:
Chai, angry angry. Growing up, my mom and a neighbor show us pepper with this stuff. Indeed ignorance is bliss. Na so we go dey pack ourselves go long distance errands all in the name of "Oyemuni-nwa-erife" (Who born pikin no dey chop?) Only found out what it meant a few years ago. Looking back, it wasn't a bad childhood afterall. God be praised we are alive to laugh it off. cheesy cheesy.
Lmao! It reminds me of when I was young and at that age when kids ask questions about virtually EVERYTHING. I would disturb my parents with endless questions. One day, we were watching a music video and as usual, I began bugging my dad about the musician's name. The baba turned a weary eye to me and said the musician's name is 'Onwefa' (It does not have a name or No Name). Thereafter every musician's name became 'Onwefa'. Whenever I asked my parents who so and so was, the reply was 'Onwefa'. It came to point I became suspicious and began to wonder why all the musicians were bearing the same name. cheesy I only got to know the meaning when I got older. grin

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by adedayourt(m): 8:53pm On Jan 15, 2015
Da trend is gradually fading out

Some 1999 children go dey wonder sey wetin dis pple dey talk about sef.
grin

I stil do to some nauty kids dou

2 Likes

Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by Ewatomi26(f): 9:02pm On Jan 15, 2015
Can't remember my parents sending me on d arodan journey. Bt back den in d boarding haus had a lot of fun wit it cool
Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by Afritop(m): 9:06pm On Jan 15, 2015
If the arodan come carry the child to kidnapper nko
Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by Nobody: 9:10pm On Jan 15, 2015
Ishilove:

Lmao! It reminds me of when I was young and at that age when kids ask questions about virtually EVERYTHING. I would disturb my parents with endless questions. One day, we were watching a music video and as usual, I began bugging my dad about the musician's name. The baba turned a weary eye to me and said the musician's name is 'Onwefa' (It does not have a name or No Name). Thereafter every musician's name became 'Onwefa'. Whenever I asked my parents who so and so was, the reply was 'Onwefa'. It came to point to I became suspicious as to why all the musicians were bearing the same name. cheesy I only got to know the meaning when I got older. grin

Loooooool. What ignorance can do to someone sha.

Your story points in the direction of the South precisely Delta? grin
Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by dominique(f): 9:13pm On Jan 15, 2015
We were locked up in the house most of our growing up years, my parents never sent any of us on such errand. I won't advise parents to send children on such in these days of kidnapping, rituals and pedophiles. The world is crazier now than it was then.
Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by dominique(f): 9:15pm On Jan 15, 2015
Afritop:
If the arodan come carry the child to kidnapper nko

Or children molester. No right thinking parent will send his or her child on such errand this day and age

1 Like

Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by Ipheyemmy01(m): 9:16pm On Jan 15, 2015
They are wonderful exprience. Arodan, abimo ma jeun, omotoyiogbon. God bless my future.
Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by piagetskinner(m): 9:17pm On Jan 15, 2015
I never hear of am oo
Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jan 15, 2015
Laitesmart:
I was relaxing yesterday in my room when a child came in with a message from his mum asking him to come collect the ARODAN his mum gave to me. I couldn't stop laughing after sending the boy on his way as he just took me down the memory lane.

Well. Yoruba parents can be funny at times. They sometime send their errant children on mission impossible in a futile search quest.

When we were still young and highly stubborn or disturbing... Our parent would always use the ARODAN approach to get us busy... They would always ask us to go and collect ARODAN from somebody. On getting there, the person will redirect you to another person who will in turn redirect you to another person till you get all tired since ARODAN is the only Yoruba word that has no meaning used to punish erring or disturbing children.

The last time I was sent on such mission... I suffer ooo!!! I was redirected close to twelve times before the last man took pity on me and ask me to go tell my mum that he would send it thru his child.

What was your own ARODAN experience?
I had dat experience at my secondary sch. a boarding huz actually. no tenx to d seniors back den. and den dey send u to oda senior telling u to go collect MY JOURNEY SHALL NEVA END and den dey keep sending u frm one hostel to another
Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by allanphash7(m): 9:49pm On Jan 15, 2015
A PEEP INTO AN IBADAN WOMAN'S PHONE
BOOK
Recently, somebody gave an insight into what
the phone book of an Ibadan woman will look
like:
Iya Deji alaso,
Nuru eleran,
Kamoru Onigi,
Iya Monsurat elepo,
Iya Lekan eleja,
Saidi onisu,
Iya ijesha oniru.
Basiru oni moto,
Sola omo baba basira,
Basira oniponmo,
Suraju olokada,
Oriyomi alalubosa,
Bose Tailor,
Gbenro agbero,
Noimo olororo,
Iya Luku Oloka,
Akanke alakara eebo,
Sola tisha,
Baba wale nepa,
Iya biliki elepo,
Baba aduke alagunmu jedi,
Iya wasiu onifufu,
Morufu riwaya,
Iya olobi agba,
Baba tawa alajo,
Alani kafinta,
Boda tunde birikila.
Moomi Oloole.
Buoda mi Alani
Iya mi elesuru
Baba ilu eebo
Bello Olopa jeko jeko
Suberu ologbon ori
Broda Yellow
Baba elero alogi
Solo agbegi lere
Grace pupa
Poolu asona
Baba onifoto
Gambari onisuya
Demola Fokanaisa
Godi omo ibo
Alhaji agbe kanga
Baba gbegi lodo
Biodun repeara
Risi olonje
Alao alawin.........

4 Likes

Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by donshaddow(m): 9:51pm On Jan 15, 2015
Scrypt:

Sounds more like ukwuani language!!!

1 Like

Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by Ajibel(m): 10:07pm On Jan 15, 2015
Well I didnt grow up in Yorubaland so this is my first time of getting to know the word "Arodan"

Why would a parent do such anyway? sad
Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by lawsbanks: 10:13pm On Jan 15, 2015
My mum loved me but i dunno why she sent me to go and get arodan that day. Well, d person made me sit down and after two hours told me to go and meet my mum that he has given me d arodan with nothing in my hand. So i kept asking people for d meaning of arodan till i found out. That was d last time anybody could trick me to getting arodan

1 Like

Re: The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... by Joyekpen: 10:22pm On Jan 15, 2015
Arodan still rescues me till date , esp when l want to rest, l send them to bring plenty ARODAN from daddy so we can all enjoy. Sweet sleep there after.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance / How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani / My Boyfriend's Parents Don't Approve Me, And They Haven't Even Met Me Yet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.