Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,305 members, 7,836,330 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:09 AM

Mental Labour Vs Manual Labour - Who Works Harder? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Mental Labour Vs Manual Labour - Who Works Harder? (1013 Views)

Meet Melissa Who Works As A Mermaid To Earn A Living / The Second Largest Employer Of Labour In Lagos State / What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mental Labour Vs Manual Labour - Who Works Harder? by BlackPeni5: 2:45pm On Jan 11, 2015
This has been an issue which I've discussed extensively with a few friends of mine. Who works harder between a man who works with his brain and another who works with his hands. In Nigeria, majority of the people and Manual Labourers. These people work tirelessly to ensure things are done, but in developed countries, they have more Mental Labourers. Mental labour brings about innovation and improvement to Manual methods which is more efficient. In my opinion, mental labour is more difficult than manual labour, if not we would have more atomic physicists, neurosurgeons, or software developers than we would have brick layers.

I also came across this piece online. So what do you think

Construction workers spend their day outside, in the hot sun, shoveling, hammering, painting, etc., and do lots of hard, manual labor. They are exhausted when they get home, so exhausted, that it's tiring to get off the couch to go get something to eat. Their body aches, they're tired, and they just want to crawl into bed and go to sleep.

Financial analysts spend most of their day at a desk. They run report after report, analyzing all different aspects of a company. They are in and out of meetings all day. They stare at a computer screen and try to figure out why line 10 doesn't match line 13. They rack their brains all day to finish their work for the day. When they leave work, they may have headaches, they're tired, and they are so mentally burnt out they can hardly perform simple math. They just want to crawl into bed and sleep.

Who has the harder job? Is it the construction worker that spends all day doing manual labor or is it the financial analyst who spends all day analyzing numbers and other mental labors?

I used those jobs as an example. The same could be said for waitresses, loggers, janitors, for physical jobs, just as it could be for lawyers, investment bankers, and administrative assistants for mental labor.
Re: Mental Labour Vs Manual Labour - Who Works Harder? by datguru: 2:47pm On Jan 11, 2015
Mental labour bro
Re: Mental Labour Vs Manual Labour - Who Works Harder? by JOETYNO: 3:10pm On Jan 11, 2015
mental labour, cos most times U seem to be confused by mere simple tasks cos ur brain has over worked
Re: Mental Labour Vs Manual Labour - Who Works Harder? by pweetixandy: 3:31pm On Jan 11, 2015
Hmmmm..its d mentnual labour! cheesy leave me abeg!
Re: Mental Labour Vs Manual Labour - Who Works Harder? by Slickbishop(m): 5:34pm On Jan 11, 2015
mental labor jaree.

(1) (Reply)

Massive Vacancies In Lagos Nigera / Current Job Openings At Stanbic IBTC / Real Estate Agents Needed At RE/MAX Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.