Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,053 members, 7,838,657 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:23 AM

Why And How You Should Avoid Lying At A Job Interview - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why And How You Should Avoid Lying At A Job Interview (1012 Views)

12 Common Job Interview Mistakes You Should Avoid / How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview / 9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why And How You Should Avoid Lying At A Job Interview by insidifyguru: 3:59pm On Jan 15, 2015
Have you ever been tempted to lie at a job interview? Be honest. There are probably times when you have felt the nudge to exaggerate your job title, responsibilities, and achievements or even ‘tweak’ your age. What about the time you said you are an expert at Photoshop, AutoCAD, and Microsoft Office when in fact you are just a beginner?

Lying at a job interview puts you at the precipice of disaster. This may get you fired as quickly as you were hired or put you in a courtroom depending on the severity of the damage arising from the lie you told at the job interview.

The following are the reasons you shouldn’t lie at a job interview and how to put your best foot forward in such situations.
Because interviewers almost always smell lies about work experience

You should never try to lie at a job interview about your work experience. Interviewers can be bloodhounds when it comes to matters bordering on experience. You will most likely be slammed with a swarm of follow-up questions on the experiences you claimed to possess.

Lying at a job interview about your work experience is probably not in your best interest because you will need to keep backing a lie with a bigger lie which will leave you exposed eventually. What you should do is to magnify the areas where you have experience, work on it, polish it and downplay the areas you do not.
Because you may get kicked out a week after you are hired

Lying at a job interview about a skill you do not possess can be your undoing. Imagine a week after you resumed work, your boss instructs you to use a software you claimed you are highly proficient in to carry out a part of a bigger project he is to present to investors the same week. See the point? You may get the job but still get kicked out.

Instead of lying at a job interview about your skills, it is better you let your level of proficiency in the skill you possess known beforehand.
Because you may be disgraced

You shouldn’t for any reason nourish the thought of lying at a job interview about your credentials. Do not lie about your grade, school, or degree. You will be found out eventually and disgraced, even if it takes years and you have climbed to an upper management position.

Instead, show in the interview that you are keen on learning and intend to pursue a higher degree or relevant certifications as the job demands.
Because you are blowing your chances of getting hired

Almost all job seekers lie at job interviews about their current salaries. You may feel it puts you on a higher ground for negotiation but almost all the time, employers have a defined salary scale for employees especially at entry-level positions.

Lying at a job interview about your salary especially when you are over-amplifying may send the signal that the recruiter cannot afford your service, hence he/she may therefore not contact you.

Instead, try to find out the salary scale for that position before the interview or give the value of your entire compensation package (salary, vacation, and other benefits) at your last job.

Have you ever lied at a job interview? How did it end? Care to share? Let us learn in the comment section.

Culled from http://www.insidify.com/discovery/why-and-how-you-should-avoid-lying-at-a-job-interview

1 Like

Re: Why And How You Should Avoid Lying At A Job Interview by ALAYORMII: 4:14pm On Jan 15, 2015
I just did
Re: Why And How You Should Avoid Lying At A Job Interview by Emytexboy(m): 4:21pm On Jan 15, 2015
grin undecided undecided undecided cry
Re: Why And How You Should Avoid Lying At A Job Interview by insidifyguru: 4:42pm On Jan 15, 2015
ALAYORMII:
I just did

Oh really? Care to share how it went?
Re: Why And How You Should Avoid Lying At A Job Interview by RUBMYMIND(m): 11:13pm On Jan 15, 2015
Nice one op, let me share this little piece.
I read management with an MBA, My work experience is in sales/marketing but i have always had this desire to grow my career in project management, so I prepared another resume that presents me as one with experience in project management.
I got a call today from a lady telling me that she has my CV & am been considered for a vacant position of a "Project Manager" in her company, during our discussion she asked me certain questions which I answered including pay expectations. She promised to set up an appointment with me soon.
Though I have theoretical knowledge of what project management entails but lacks the practical aspect.

What do you advice friends.
Re: Why And How You Should Avoid Lying At A Job Interview by dmjinc(m): 11:23pm On Jan 15, 2015
RUBMYMIND:
I read management with an MBA, My work experience is in sales/marketing but i have always had this desire to grow my career in project management, so I prepared another resume that presents me as one with experience in project management.
I got a call today from a lady telling me that she has my CV & am been considered for a vacant position of a "Project Manager" in her company, during our discussion she asked me certain questions which I answered including pay expectations. She promised to set up an appointment with me soon.
Though I have theoretical knowledge of what project management entails but lacks the practical aspect.

Just go for it wink
Re: Why And How You Should Avoid Lying At A Job Interview by insidifyguru: 9:11am On Jan 16, 2015
RUBMYMIND:

Thank you so muc for sharing.

The advice you seek to the experience shared here is not an easy one. I'd love to say that you should go ahead but, the again, what if your lack of the practical aspect in Project Management becomes exposed when yoiu are being given a task that your theoritical knowledge of it cannot handle?

Please think carefully before you decide what to do.

Wish you the very best! #Insidify

(1) (Reply)

Massive Recruitment At Best Western Plus Hotel Ltd (1st Phase) / Plsssss Post Any Vacancy Around Lekki Or AJAH / Urgent Vacancy In A New Telecom Company

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.