Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,727 members, 7,824,061 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:38 PM

Dstv Monopoly Too Costly For Nigerians! - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Dstv Monopoly Too Costly For Nigerians! (3590 Views)

Black-ish Comedy TV Series Fanpage For Nigerians / Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading / Dstv Monopoly: Why Cant Nigerians Revolt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dstv Monopoly Too Costly For Nigerians! by dapperman(m): 6:41pm On Jan 16, 2015
Rushed home yesterday night so I can relax and watch the 2nd leg copa del rey semi final between real Madrid and Athletico. It didn't happen. No show. Ok make I watch Asian cup which is currently on going too. No show. I no understand why I go pay N11,600 and my neighbour pays N3,150 on CTL and watches all games LIVE. Am kinda thinking this multi choice monopoly isn't paying us Nigerians at all!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dstv Monopoly Too Costly For Nigerians! by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jan 16, 2015
it is called 'corruption '!buhari is coming for them soon. I dunno what dstv is still doing in Nigeria. they should do 'pay-as-you-go ' package.
Re: Dstv Monopoly Too Costly For Nigerians! by eph12(m): 6:58pm On Jan 16, 2015
What's CTL?
Re: Dstv Monopoly Too Costly For Nigerians! by bigtt76(f): 7:07pm On Jan 16, 2015
As for me ...I've 'cut the cord'. With my smart TV + Anonymize DNS ...I'm free to watch all recent movies and series on US TV grin long before DSTV will dream of airing it #byedstv
Re: Dstv Monopoly Too Costly For Nigerians! by MrSinister(m): 7:30pm On Jan 16, 2015
bigtt76:
As for me ...I've 'cut the cord'. With my smart TV + Anonymize DNS ...I'm free to watch all recent movies and series on US TV grin long before DSTV will dream of airing it #byedstv

How did you do it? Pls I'm interested, let's chat off-line
Re: Dstv Monopoly Too Costly For Nigerians! by bigtt76(f): 8:51pm On Jan 16, 2015
Ok but we can also chat here for the benefit of other users undecided

MrSinister:

How did you do it? Pls I'm interested, let's chat off-line

1 Like

Re: Dstv Monopoly Too Costly For Nigerians! by dapperman(m): 9:14pm On Jan 16, 2015
CTL is a cable tv that shows all football games live on bein sports. Its here in abuja and ph. I wud like to know about tv+ too.
Re: Dstv Monopoly Too Costly For Nigerians! by MrSinister(m): 9:21pm On Jan 16, 2015
bigtt76:
Ok but we can also chat here for the benefit of other users undecided

Ok. So, how did you do it? Or should I ask how can I get the "tweak" that you are using?
Re: Dstv Monopoly Too Costly For Nigerians! by bigtt76(f): 9:35pm On Jan 16, 2015
Very simple. All you need is a Smart TV or Video Streaming Devices such as Apple TV, Roku Box, Amazon TV, Google Chromecast or any Internet enabled DVD player.

These devices enables you access streaming sites including Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video etc via the Internet but because you're located in Nigeria, you will need a VPN or smart DNS services such as UnoTelly etc which offers service to you for a fee and mask your location as US.

You can google others though but from my experience, I've been able to cut down cost drastically.

For example DSTV costs like N11,500/per month (Compact I guess), I pay for Internet on Swift or Spectranet for 20GB like N7K/per month and still I don't get my fill from DSTV because of their outdated and repetitive nature of their transmission.

Cutting the cord costs me as follows

Internet Access = N7K per month
Smart DNS = $4.95 per month (@N185 to $1 = N915.75)
Subscription to Hulu Plus or Netflix = $7.99 per month (@N185 to $1 = N1478.15)
Total = N9393.9 (Note you can get other cheap services or once you pay upfront you get discounts)

Do your calculation its way below DSTV subscription and beside that you get access to latest movies and series depending on the service you subscribe to. You can also get sites to stream sports live grin ....so why subscribe to DSTV's numerous channels that you don't get to watch? Watch video on demand through these sites and you will thank me later kiss

MrSinister:

Ok. So, how did you do it? Or should I ask how can I get the "tweak" that you are using?
Re: Dstv Monopoly Too Costly For Nigerians! by MrSinister(m): 10:03pm On Jan 16, 2015
bigtt76:
Very simple. All you need is a Smart TV or Video Streaming Devices such as Apple TV, Roku Box, Amazon TV, Google Chromecast or any Internet enabled DVD player.

These devices enables you access streaming sites including Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video etc via the Internet but because you're located in Nigeria, you will need a VPN or smart DNS services such as UnoTelly etc which offers service to you for a fee and mask your location as US.

You can google others though but from my experience, I've been able to cut down cost drastically.

For example DSTV costs like N11,500/per month (Compact I guess), I pay for Internet on Swift or Spectranet for 20GB like N7K/per month and still I don't get my fill from DSTV because of their outdated and repetitive nature of their transmission.

Total = N9393.9 (Note you can get other cheap services or once you pay upfront you get discounts)

Do your calculation its way below DSTV subscription and beside that you get access to latest movies and series depending on the service you subscribe to. You can also get sites to stream sports live grin ....so why subscribe to DSTV's numerous channels that you don't get to watch? Watch video on demand through these sites and you will thank me later kiss

Thanks. You make it sound easy. I don't bother to stream because of poor network here. How do you get round poor data services, is swift/spectranet really that reliable? Besides, what's the total cost of hardware used?
Re: Dstv Monopoly Too Costly For Nigerians! by bigtt76(f): 10:07pm On Jan 16, 2015
Swift, Spectranet and Smile offers good services though. Besides that, the apps on Smart TV optimizes the streams according to your speed.

MrSinister:

Thanks. You make it sound easy. I don't bother to stream because of poor network here. How do you get round poor data services
Re: Dstv Monopoly Too Costly For Nigerians! by MrSinister(m): 10:09pm On Jan 16, 2015
bigtt76:
Swift, Spectranet and Smile offers good services though. Besides that, the apps on Smart TV optimizes the streams according to your speed.

Pls re-read the post you quoted. Thanks
Re: Dstv Monopoly Too Costly For Nigerians! by MrSinister(m): 10:17pm On Jan 16, 2015
It appears smart tv's are susceptible to hacking, malware and viruses. I got this info from wikipedia @bigtt76
Re: Dstv Monopoly Too Costly For Nigerians! by bigtt76(f): 10:29pm On Jan 16, 2015
I only use the apps that comes installed on TV or watch downloaded movies via in-built USB port. I have an LG WebOS TV which is Linux based and not easily attacked by malwares. It has no flash either grin

MrSinister:
It appears smart tv's are susceptible to hacking, malware and viruses. I got this info from wikipedia @bigtt76
Re: Dstv Monopoly Too Costly For Nigerians! by MrSinister(m): 10:43pm On Jan 16, 2015
bigtt76:
I only use the apps that comes installed on TV or watch downloaded movies via in-built USB port. I have an LG WebOS TV which is Linux based and not easily attacked by malwares. It has no flash either grin

How much did you buy it?
Re: Dstv Monopoly Too Costly For Nigerians! by bigtt76(f): 10:46pm On Jan 16, 2015
About $560 during the Black Friday sales on Amazon.

MrSinister:

How much did you buy it?
Re: Dstv Monopoly Too Costly For Nigerians! by MrSinister(m): 9:48am On Jan 17, 2015
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][quote author=bigtt76 post=29858902]About $560 during the Black Friday sales on Amazon.

shocked na wa o!
Re: Dstv Monopoly Too Costly For Nigerians! by desktop: 9:47pm On Feb 16, 2015
Roku 3 for sale who's interested ?
Re: Dstv Monopoly Too Costly For Nigerians! by bobojoshua(m): 4:09pm On Feb 18, 2015
bigtt76:

Re: Dstv Monopoly Too Costly For Nigerians! by Nobody: 3:33pm On Mar 09, 2015
desktop:
Roku 3 for sale who's interested ?

Interested.
contacts
Re: Dstv Monopoly Too Costly For Nigerians! by salmae(f): 11:58am On Mar 12, 2015
So if I get Google Chromecast I can watch Netflix n Hulu on my Sony smart tv? I have already paid for Netflix but dat is on my iPad and I can't mirror it to my tv so I need to no how to watch on my tv.
Re: Dstv Monopoly Too Costly For Nigerians! by dingerman: 12:32pm On Nov 14, 2015
smart tvs are even cheaper than it used to be, especially on blackfridays. you can check out great deals on amazon for this year's blackfriday if you need a smarttv :http://amzn.to/1Pqpv9a
Re: Dstv Monopoly Too Costly For Nigerians! by otedola1(m): 11:35am On Nov 15, 2015
dapperman:
Rushed home yesterday night so I can relax and watch the 2nd leg copa del rey semi final between real Madrid and Athletico. It didn't happen. No show. Ok make I watch Asian cup which is currently on going too. No show. I no understand why I go pay N11,600 and my neighbour pays N3,150 on CTL and watches all games LIVE. Am kinda thinking this multi choice monopoly isn't paying us Nigerians at all!
Re: Dstv Monopoly Too Costly For Nigerians! by redleich(m): 5:42pm On Dec 03, 2015
Hello @bigtt76 i just got a Roku 2 2015 Model and need help setting it up
For the VP server you talked about what site do i go to and how do i mirror content from my android smart phone to the tv

Thanks
Re: Dstv Monopoly Too Costly For Nigerians! by bigtt76(f): 5:51pm On Dec 03, 2015
For VPN or Smart DNS I use Unotelly (Google search). I actually use the SmartDNS service as this only requires changing of the device's DNS to the assigned one but you need to ensure that device IP Address is mapped to your account always (for those using dynamic IP Address).

To mirror your android device to your TV, you need to ensure both your phone and TV are on the same network and also that your mobile device and TV has that capability on them.

On my mobile device it has the feature Cast Screen (common on Samsung device or others with the name MiraCast). If you have Google ChromeCast dongle, it does that too.

I'm quite sure the Roku2 device has that as default feature.

To get them together is to turn on the feature on both device and search the same way you would do for Bluetooth pairing, pair them together and it will workwork.

All best.

redleich:
Hello @bigtt76 i just got a Roku 2 2015 Model and need help setting it up
For the VP server you talked about what site do i go to and how do i mirror content from my android smart phone to the tv

Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Download Empire (season4,episode 1&2) Tvseries / How can We As Nigerians make Nollywood better / Movie Scripts For Sale: International Standard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.