Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,413 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:48 PM

Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading (44384 Views)

TSTV'S Goliath Challenge Of DSTV / TSTV Africa Decoder Gives 10x More Of Dstv, Gotv, And Starttime / DSTV Monopoly Is Up Pay As You Use (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Dotng: 11:25pm On Jan 14, 2016
Reps pass bill to break monopoly of DSTV

A bill meant to make broadcasting more competitive in the country was passed through second reading in the House of Representatives Thursday.

The bill sponsored by Chairman of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs, Nnena Elendu- Ukeje is titled ” a bill for an Act to amend the National Broadcast Commission Act cap N11, laws of the federation of Nigeria, 2014, to provide for competition in Nigeria, promote efficiency and Expand opportunities for Nigerians’ participation in world markets while at the same time recognize the role of foreign completion in Nigeria, and for other matters related thereto.”

Elendu- Ukeje while speaking on the bill said it is meant to strengthen the National Broadcast Commission as an independent regulator.

According to her, the bill will also create room for competition through deregulation, liberalization, privatization, ensuring free market operation and also enforce penalty(s) to parties that go against the provisions of the law.

The piece of legislation, she said, will prevent price or rate fixing, price discrimination , restrictive exclusive content, abuse of dominant market position, and unconstitutional boycotting.

The proposed law, she said, is a remedy to the obvious lacuna in the NBC Act and strengthens the NBC as Nigeria has no set of codified laws that speaks to the subject matter.

Her words: “this is one sector that does not suffer from customer ignorance as this sector has been subject to motions/ petitions on the floor of parliament and litigations in the court of law.

“Justice Chukwujeku Aneke of the a federal High Court had on May 28th 2015 dismissed a suit against DSTV over increase in subscription fees as Nigeria is yet to have a codified set of rules promoting competition in that market.

“Competition laws exist under different names in different climes. From antitrust law in the US to anti monopoly laws in China and Russia, and Trade law in the UK and Australia, the underlying factor for these laws us consumer protection.”

According to her, Fourth Schedule, Section 39(1) of the constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria states expressly that every person shall be entitled to own, establish and operate any medium for the dissemination of information.

She said the institution went further in Section 16(2c) that “the state shall direct its policy towards ensuring that the economic system is not operated in such a manner as to permit the concentration of wealth or the means of production and exchange in the hands of few individuals or groups.

“The intendment of these two provisions is that by liberalizing communication and media, that the sector be competitive in line with our economic policies.”

The bill passed through second reading without debate when the Speaker, Hon. Yakubu Dogara called for a voice vote.

http://thenationonlineng.net/reps-pass-bill-to-break-monopoly-of-dstv/

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Nobody: 11:28pm On Jan 14, 2016
Nice one

12 Likes

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Nobody: 11:29pm On Jan 14, 2016
since our sub finish na so so AIT i dey watch

43 Likes

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Nobody: 11:37pm On Jan 14, 2016
Wow, this is good news for all. Imagine you being able to watch the bpl and other high value content on any service provider of your choice so far you can afford it. It's high time that chain of monopoly is sawed... Let us have competition.

78 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by wordcat(m): 11:46pm On Jan 14, 2016
Laughing but don't even know why I'm laughing

7 Likes

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Vision4God: 11:52pm On Jan 14, 2016
I don't even use dstv.

Dstv is just over-rated.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Folksyharry(m): 12:08am On Jan 15, 2016
Any bill that will be bring about healthy competition is welcome

53 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Nobody: 12:19am On Jan 15, 2016
if it can be done, nice...if not, den bubu is a dullard?

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by JAMANZE: 12:20am On Jan 15, 2016
As far as i can choose the channels i like and pay for them alone. DSTV owners are very stubborn

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Acjohn(m): 12:25am On Jan 15, 2016
I don't think that sector is monopolised but Nigerians just enjoy it because
it is not a Nigerian company
secondly they have good contents
thirdly they bribed their ways to the good will of the senators so they will keep using it.
lastly majority of the people discussing in the senate are hypocrites, they are shareholders and will keep using it. most of them don't pay far it. Na your money an mine.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by futmxconnectn(m): 12:31am On Jan 15, 2016
Whilst the House of representative members are passing the bills that would be beneficial to Nigerians into law, the Senators are fooling themselves on the passage of the 2016 Budget, anyway, life goes on..

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by DjAndroid: 2:18am On Jan 15, 2016
Vision4God:
I don't even use dstv.

Dstv is just over-rated.

What do you use?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Nobody: 3:03am On Jan 15, 2016
Is passing a bill the solution,or other companies should emerge to break the monopoly.

11 Likes

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by grandstar(m): 3:18am On Jan 15, 2016
The high cost of entry into cable tv is the problem. It will cost billions of naira to enter and still take years before you break even.

Also, broadcasts rights to football games are prohibitive. What do you think sustains Mikel's 80,000 a week salary? Its certainly not entrance fees.

Added to that is the high cost of credit ie 25%. That's what ran those guys out of business

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by tpiah2: 3:22am On Jan 15, 2016
translation?

1 Like

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by tonytony208(m): 3:26am On Jan 15, 2016
Let's hope DSTV will not bribe their links and puppets at the national assembly to sit on this till thy kingdom come.

If budget can go missing only to return amended, then anything can happen in that national assembly.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by OCTAVO: 4:39am On Jan 15, 2016
That's good! This move has been long overdue.
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by talktimi(m): 5:03am On Jan 15, 2016
These reps are just jobless. If you don't like dstv, buy startimes or cmtv nobody tied your hands or forced you. If the NBC as a regulator didn't know about or couldn't enforce industry best practices like their counterparts worldwide, who is to blame ?

11 Likes

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by labogini13(f): 5:19am On Jan 15, 2016
ok
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by fejiroonaefe(f): 5:20am On Jan 15, 2016
What to do

1 Like

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Nobody: 6:00am On Jan 15, 2016
But where is lalasticlala sef....day don break for Abuja. grin

Come what would we call other types of cable in the market eg NTA's and TVC's owned cables. Is it not breaking the monopoly of DSTV?

2 Likes

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by ziccoit: 6:06am On Jan 15, 2016
Good, especially the part which says "proposed law, she said, is a remedy to the obvious lacuna in the NBC Act and strengthens the NBC as Nigeria has no set of codified laws that speaks to the subject matter".

Their should be price restructuring such that I pay only for channels I choose to watch and per hour/minute subscription should be the way. Monthly subscription and package is a ripped off.

6 Likes

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by coldsummer: 6:13am On Jan 15, 2016
Finally somebody wakes up. The rate at which our leaders turn blind eyes to the suffering of the masses, one would think they actually hate our comfort.

Well let's see what happens next.

1 Like

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Saheed9: 6:34am On Jan 15, 2016
Nice one
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by mcfynest(m): 6:37am On Jan 15, 2016
If true, then it is a good move that should have been started
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Whizpeter(m): 6:44am On Jan 15, 2016
Na everyday dem dey pass bill for this country?
I won't celebrate yet cos I know my Nigerian lawmakers, they can be very useless 72% of the time...

There are some bills that were sponsored since 1999 and are still pending till now...

Until the bill has been passed into law, then I see no reason to jubilate!

12 Likes

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Smartsyn(m): 6:44am On Jan 15, 2016
I know say na a woman go dey sponsor that bill, na dem dis DSTV tyn dey affect pass..

6 Likes

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by palladin: 6:46am On Jan 15, 2016
I concur.

1 Like

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Meriekriss: 6:46am On Jan 15, 2016
Welcome development... They should pass it quick and subsequently pass it into law..
Startimes ti take over... I hope DSTV don't go bribing ppl oo... Meanwhile no b today disobedience of court order start.. I thought there was a court order stopping DSTV from implementing their new subscription rates..

Check my signature for your breathtaking wallpapers and 3D wall panels, 3D epoxy floors, ceilings and wooden blinds & floors..

2 Likes

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by curiox007: 6:50am On Jan 15, 2016
Nigeria@@ so we need to go through this stress of national assembly to break the monopoly of a foreign company in our land... Nigeria has been sold

4 Likes

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Lovexme(m): 6:51am On Jan 15, 2016
Hope the bill would see the light of day.
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by dBard: 7:36am On Jan 15, 2016
Nice..
Finally. A bill that favour the populace.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

BBNaija - Mercy And Gedoni Spark Off New Romance In The House / Esther Told Frodd They Can't Date On BBNaija / BBNaija: Nina Had MouthAction With Miracle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.