Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,657 members, 7,820,296 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:41 PM

Another Lagos Market Burning Now! - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Another Lagos Market Burning Now! (856 Views)

People Trapped In A Burning Building In Oluwole, Lagos Island (Photos) / House Currently Burning In Ogba, As Fire Fighters Save Baby In Lagos (Photos) / A Port Harcourt Neighbourhood Burning This Morning( Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Another Lagos Market Burning Now! by McGibson(m): 11:10am On Jan 17, 2015
Fire razes Lagos Berlin Market
Posted by Eloti tV on Saturday, 17 January 2015 in Latest News
Font size: Larger Smaller Hits: 30 Print More Sharing ServicesBookmark

PIN: C0021F74D
Please join our BBM channel

BY GILBERT EKEZIE, OLUWOLE FAROTIMI AND CHIZOBA IK­ENWA

Barely four days after the popular Balogun market was gutted by fire, another fire yester­day razed major parts of the popular Berlin Market at Marina, Lagos.

The wild fire which start­ed at 3am affected over 1000 shops and destroyed goods worth millions of naira, as traders could not remove any of their wares.

Though the cause of the inferno could not be con­firmed, some of the traders blamed it on incessant power surge.

Some of the traders af­fected cried their hearts out while some forcefully opened their shops trying to save some goods before the fire gets to their shop.

Chairman of the market, Mr Christian Igwe expressed shock on the incident, de­scribing it as huge loss to the victims. “It is sad. Infact, I received a call at 5am that the shops under my watch were on fire. Some people said it started 3am. But be­fore I got here, the fire had gutted everything we had including the shop rent paid to me.”

He wondered why the incident should occur when there was no electricity sup­ply at that time. “We close here at 7pm. And, we en­sure that every appliance is switched off. Infact, for three days, we didn’t have electricity supply. He com­mended the efforts of the fire service, security agents and other agencies in extinguish­ing the fire. “They were here early enough. They tried, but the fire was too much for them.”

Igwe therefore called on the government to help the traders investigate the in­cident and ensure that the pepetrators are brought to book

Also, Chairman of the, New Plaza located beside the scene, which was af­fected by the fire, Mr Felix Okpara narrated his expe­rience on the incident. “I was called early this morn­ing that the Plaza behind my Plaza was burning. So, I rushed down here to see everywhere already burnt.” Okpara regretted the inces­sant fire outbreaks in Lagos and wondered why such should occur. “What is really happening? Why are there fire incidents everywhere? It happened at Ebute-Metta, Balogun Market, Kirikiri and now here within one week.”

Okpara also stated that no one could say exactly what caused the fire as it occurred when traders had gone home. “It is unfortunate that most of the fire incidents do not occur when traders are in the shops. We don’t know the cause of the fire because the rumour did not spread. But we suspect that it was planned. I left here at about 5pm on Thursday. And, nobody sleeps in the market, except the security men. Then, what must have caused the fire?”

Reacting to the incident, Dr Abimbola Animashaun Odunayo of the Lagos State Building Control Agency expressed surprise that fire could cause much damage.

She explained that though the cause could not be ascer­tained immediately, it could not be unconnected with electricity.

Animashaun who arrived at the scene with her team some hours confirmed that the fire affected all the shops due to inability of the fire fighters to have easy access to the market.

He advised Lagosians to be careful against fire inci­dents, as the harmattan sea­son is prone to such.

Also speaking on the in­cident, Head of Operation, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, LASEMA, Femi Giwa blamed Lagosians for the continuous fire outbreaks in the state, saying they have refused to heed advise on fire prevention.

Also commenting on the fire incident, the Public Relations Office National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Mr. Ibra­him Farinloye said there was no life lost in the inferno.

He lamented that the way the lock-up shops were con­structed without enough space and the use of heavy iron to build the stores do hinder the early efforts to curtail the fire before it de­generated.

Original link
Re: Another Lagos Market Burning Now! by phemoluv02(m): 11:14am On Jan 17, 2015
May God help us in this country....
McGibson:
Fire razes Lagos Berlin Market
Posted by Eloti tV on Saturday, 17 January 2015 in Latest News
Font size: Larger Smaller Hits: 30 Print More Sharing ServicesBookmark

PIN: C0021F74D
Please join our BBM channel

BY GILBERT EKEZIE, OLUWOLE FAROTIMI AND CHIZOBA IK­ENWA

Barely four days after the popular Balogun market was gutted by fire, another fire yester­day razed major parts of the popular Berlin Market at Marina, Lagos.

The wild fire which start­ed at 3am affected over 1000 shops and destroyed goods worth millions of naira, as traders could not remove any of their wares.

Though the cause of the inferno could not be con­firmed, some of the traders blamed it on incessant power surge.

Some of the traders af­fected cried their hearts out while some forcefully opened their shops trying to save some goods before the fire gets to their shop.

Chairman of the market, Mr Christian Igwe expressed shock on the incident, de­scribing it as huge loss to the victims. “It is sad. Infact, I received a call at 5am that the shops under my watch were on fire. Some people said it started 3am. But be­fore I got here, the fire had gutted everything we had including the shop rent paid to me.”

He wondered why the incident should occur when there was no electricity sup­ply at that time. “We close here at 7pm. And, we en­sure that every appliance is switched off. Infact, for three days, we didn’t have electricity supply. He com­mended the efforts of the fire service, security agents and other agencies in extinguish­ing the fire. “They were here early enough. They tried, but the fire was too much for them.”

Igwe therefore called on the government to help the traders investigate the in­cident and ensure that the pepetrators are brought to book

Also, Chairman of the, New Plaza located beside the scene, which was af­fected by the fire, Mr Felix Okpara narrated his expe­rience on the incident. “I was called early this morn­ing that the Plaza behind my Plaza was burning. So, I rushed down here to see everywhere already burnt.” Okpara regretted the inces­sant fire outbreaks in Lagos and wondered why such should occur. “What is really happening? Why are there fire incidents everywhere? It happened at Ebute-Metta, Balogun Market, Kirikiri and now here within one week.”

Okpara also stated that no one could say exactly what caused the fire as it occurred when traders had gone home. “It is unfortunate that most of the fire incidents do not occur when traders are in the shops. We don’t know the cause of the fire because the rumour did not spread. But we suspect that it was planned. I left here at about 5pm on Thursday. And, nobody sleeps in the market, except the security men. Then, what must have caused the fire?”

Reacting to the incident, Dr Abimbola Animashaun Odunayo of the Lagos State Building Control Agency expressed surprise that fire could cause much damage.

She explained that though the cause could not be ascer­tained immediately, it could not be unconnected with electricity.

Animashaun who arrived at the scene with her team some hours confirmed that the fire affected all the shops due to inability of the fire fighters to have easy access to the market.

He advised Lagosians to be careful against fire inci­dents, as the harmattan sea­son is prone to such.

Also speaking on the in­cident, Head of Operation, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, LASEMA, Femi Giwa blamed Lagosians for the continuous fire outbreaks in the state, saying they have refused to heed advise on fire prevention.

Also commenting on the fire incident, the Public Relations Office National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Mr. Ibra­him Farinloye said there was no life lost in the inferno.

He lamented that the way the lock-up shops were con­structed without enough space and the use of heavy iron to build the stores do hinder the early efforts to curtail the fire before it de­generated.

Original link
Re: Another Lagos Market Burning Now! by McGibson(m): 11:26am On Jan 17, 2015
My Igbo brothers has just lost billions just this january in lagos. I pray they learn. Cos this is not just natural.

(1) (Reply)

.... / 16Rooms Functnal Hotel For Lease..@ Along Igando,Via Ikotun..lagos 5m..1yr..Askg / Tastefully & Newly Build 3bedroom Flat To Let @ Thomas Estate Ajah (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.