Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,608 members, 7,823,639 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:49 PM

Canadian Muslim Puts 'free Speech' To The Test; Promptly Investigated, Shut Down - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Canadian Muslim Puts 'free Speech' To The Test; Promptly Investigated, Shut Down (912 Views)

Update On OAU MSSN Crisis And Shut Down Of Mosques / The Speech "La Ilaaha Illallaah" / Charlie Hebdo; Beacon Of Free Speech Fired Reporter For 'anti-semitism.' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Canadian Muslim Puts 'free Speech' To The Test; Promptly Investigated, Shut Down by Nobody: 11:45am On Jan 18, 2015
A Muslim in Canada decided to put ‘free speech’ to the test in the
aftermath of the Charlie Hebdo shootings by joking about 9/11 and the Holocaust on Twitter. He is now the subject of a police investigation.
Hot dog seller Jerry Reddick took to the social media network
yesterday to experiment with how far he could take freedom of
expression, writing, “Let’s test just how free freedom of speech is
when it’s not Muslims being disrespected.”
What followed was a series of tweets which were undoubtedly
offensive but for many wouldn’t be construed as any more odious than material published by Charlie Hebdo.

The full text and tweets can be found here:

http://www.infowars.com/muslim-puts-free-speech-to-the-test-jokes-about-holocaust-911/

Within hours of sending out the tweets, Reddick was reported to
Halifax police and is now under investigation by authorities.
“I know you didn’t think freedom to insult worked both ways,” wrote
Reddick, adding, “My point about free speech being limited was made
loud and clear!”
Reddick’s free speech experiment seems to confirm that making
offensive jokes about Muslims is acceptable under the banner of free
speech, but insulting Jews or victims of terror attacks or crimes
against humanity is not.
Many would say this highlights hypocrisy, whereas others would point
out that the consequences of making jokes about Jews – criminal
investigation – is far less severe than the punishment metered out by
Islamic extremists to the publishers of Charlie Hebdo in Paris last
week.
The main point of contention seems to be whether or not it represents
an act of hate speech to ridicule a crime against humanity, which in
countries like France is illegal, rather than a religion itself. In Canada,
people have been charged with anti-Semitism despite it being
acknowledged that this was an infringement on their free speech
rights.
As Glenn Greenwald highlighted , the west’s new found support for
‘free speech’ is something of a sham given that French comedian
Dieudonné was arrested yesterday for a Facebook post about the
Charlie Hebdo attack in which he wrote, “Tonight, as far as I’m
concerned, I feel like Charlie Coulibaly.”
Since last weekend’s free speech march in Paris, French authorities
have opened 54 criminal cases as part of a move to crackdown on
“hate speech, anti-Semitism and glorifying terrorism.”
Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/paul.j.watson.71
FOLLOW Paul Joseph Watson @ https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet
Paul Joseph Watson is the editor at large of Infowars.com and Prison
Planet.com .

UPDATE: Jerry Reddick's Twitter account has now been deleted.

http://www.infowars.com/muslim-puts-free-speech-to-the-test-jokes-about-holocaust-911/
Re: Canadian Muslim Puts 'free Speech' To The Test; Promptly Investigated, Shut Down by Empiree: 4:41pm On Jan 18, 2015
Just like pope also denounced insulting religion and said he would knock someone who mocks his mother. If he had been average fella, they would say he supports terrorists. They forgot that there those who can read btw the lines. Myself was subjected to 4 yrs investigations by federal and local authorities for 4 yrs over comment i made on fb. Even though i was not arrested because no probable cause was found, I was in fact subjected to dragnet investigation.

They sent informants and agent provocateurs to follow me everywhere. Agent provocateurs can be very ugly. After that didnt work, themselves started following me on foot, helicopters, and cars everywhere. Almost knocked me off the street by their suv. I was upset and reported them to CAIR and other attorneys. It was like hell. Usermane need to bring his head here and read this.
Re: Canadian Muslim Puts 'free Speech' To The Test; Promptly Investigated, Shut Down by Nobody: 5:01pm On Jan 18, 2015
Allah is the best of Helpers bro.

My aim is to show those muslims who want to turn the Ummah to a nation of apologists and ass-wipes that these unbelievers do not give a brass farthing about free speech or women's rights or human rights or the rest of that bull-faeces. They apply all these grand words to justify themselves when Muslims are the victims of torture and abuse. Then promptly forget them when someone else is abused.
To think that France arrested 54 citizens, including comedian Dieudonné, for exercising their rights to free speech. And that was just a day after a 3million man rally in defence of the self-same 'free speech'. Hypocrisy defined.
Re: Canadian Muslim Puts 'free Speech' To The Test; Promptly Investigated, Shut Down by Nobody: 8:30am On Jan 21, 2015
And France does it yet again. Now they have started arresting teenagers for ironic comments.

http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/france-begins-jailing-people-ironic-comments

Breeze is blowing. Fowl behind is exposing.
Re: Canadian Muslim Puts 'free Speech' To The Test; Promptly Investigated, Shut Down by udatso: 10:39am On Jan 21, 2015
Abuamam:
And France does it yet again. Now they have started arresting teenagers for ironic comments.

http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/france-begins-jailing-people-ironic-comments

Breeze is blowing. Fowl behind is exposing.

double standard I tell ya.Anything mocking and denigrating Islam and Muslims is venerated as courageous free speech, while anything mocking those who engage in such denigration – even using precisely the same techniques – can get you locked up.

from the link

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Discipline Of The Mouth For A Muslim / One out of the numerous merits Of Mu'aawiyah – may Allaah be pleased with him. / Schools In Palestine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.