Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,768 members, 7,820,685 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:31 PM

Your Thoughts About Parents Who Have Favorites Amongst Their Kids? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Your Thoughts About Parents Who Have Favorites Amongst Their Kids? (1123 Views)

Nigerian Man Who Intentionally Shuts Down Wife In Front Of Their Kids Changes / Do You Believe In Karma? Share Your Thoughts And Experiences. / Photo: Little Girl Writes Note To Black Friend About Parents' Racism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Thoughts About Parents Who Have Favorites Amongst Their Kids? by Nobody: 12:31pm On Jan 18, 2015
I was close to a family whose dad demonstrated a special love and affinity to one child in particular out of all his children. It was so bad that it made the others feel unwanted in the process.

This lead to some serious disputes in their home, to the extent that one of the older kids fought with the dad. The disputes culminated in the dad and mum going their separate ways.

My father's household had its fair share favoritism for a number of my siblings but this wasn't as bad as the case described above.

Though I saw their face lit up when they spoke about their 'prefered', they didn't allow this shirk their responsibility and care to the rest of us, thus it did not degenerate to something unwanted.

I think, sometimes, parents have favourites irrespective of their best efforts not to. What matters, in my view, is how they handle it and make other children feel loved also.

What do you think?
Re: Your Thoughts About Parents Who Have Favorites Amongst Their Kids? by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jan 18, 2015
I think that it is quite natural that you are particularly fond of one of your children, just like it is natural for kids to prefer their mother or father. It happens but parents should be mature enough to not let their kids feel it.

We can't choose our parents and our parents can't choose us. Some kids have a lovely personality and others are rebellious. Even though, parents love all their kids, some are just more "likable" for one reason or another.

5 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts About Parents Who Have Favorites Amongst Their Kids? by ArchEnemy(m): 12:34pm On Jan 18, 2015
You ve nailed it already..how to handle it and make other children feel loved also.
Just try not to show it (or make it too obvious)

2 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts About Parents Who Have Favorites Amongst Their Kids? by Nobody: 12:38pm On Jan 18, 2015
carefreewannabe:
I think that it is quite natural that you are particularly fond of one of your children, just like it is natural for kids to prefer their mother or father. It happens but parents should be mature enough to not let their kids feel it.

We can't choose our parents and our parents can't choose us. Some kids have a lovely personality and others are rebellious. Even though, parents love all their kids, some are just more "likable" for one reason or another.

I agree totally!

Its just natural!

3 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts About Parents Who Have Favorites Amongst Their Kids? by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jan 18, 2015
its natural...and inevitable....

but the best tin is.....

dont ever show it out!!!

example from jacob and Esau...

isaac loved esau...and rebecca loved jacob

na war dem cos na.....u know the story very wel

3 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts About Parents Who Have Favorites Amongst Their Kids? by Nobody: 12:49pm On Jan 18, 2015
patrickdarlins:

but the best tin is.....

dont ever show it out!!!

isaac loved jacob...and rebecca loved esau...

True!

2 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts About Parents Who Have Favorites Amongst Their Kids? by Islie: 1:03pm On Jan 18, 2015
you can't love them equally
but
treat them equally by so doing they will have a sense of belonging because we can't hide from the facts that we do have favourite among our children just like we do have favorite in the kind of food we take in

3 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts About Parents Who Have Favorites Amongst Their Kids? by SalC: 1:06pm On Jan 18, 2015
Re: Your Thoughts About Parents Who Have Favorites Amongst Their Kids? by SalC: 1:06pm On Jan 18, 2015
patrickdarlins:

but the best tin is.....

dont ever show it out!!!

isaac loved jacob...and rebecca loved esau...

Huh?
Re: Your Thoughts About Parents Who Have Favorites Amongst Their Kids? by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jan 18, 2015
I've not felt it b4 , maybe it's because I never get pikin.
Re: Your Thoughts About Parents Who Have Favorites Amongst Their Kids? by Hazardd(m): 1:55pm On Jan 18, 2015
sometimes some parent chose their favourites depending on the most respectful,hard working child among their kids and sometimes is natural

1 Like

Re: Your Thoughts About Parents Who Have Favorites Amongst Their Kids? by dein77(m): 1:59pm On Jan 18, 2015
Maybe it's natural. Can't say. For now, I ddon't have any special affinity for any of my kids.

But like you all have pointed out, parents should mask such preferences so as not to cause undue commotion in the home. I wasn't my parents best when growing up, but I'm my dad's best NOW.

It's a terrible thing to be in such a situation where your parents SHOW special preferences to your to your other siblings tthe same isn't said about you.

But then i still believe some kids endear themselves to their parents more than others.

1 Like

Re: Your Thoughts About Parents Who Have Favorites Amongst Their Kids? by Miami11: 2:56pm On Jan 18, 2015
I only have one child will comment more after two more kids if I pick a favourite.
I wasn't my moms favourite growing up, but now am the most successful I become her favorite which sometimes I tell her its because of my money.

1 Like

Re: Your Thoughts About Parents Who Have Favorites Amongst Their Kids? by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jan 18, 2015
It's normal and inevitable.
It all depends on how the parents handle it...
Parents are attracted to each child for peculiar reasons.

It could serve as a motivation/source of depression for the other kids. Depending on how it's handled.

Never make any child feel less. That's how inferiority complex starts.

2 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts About Parents Who Have Favorites Amongst Their Kids? by LadyX(f): 3:28pm On Jan 18, 2015
Parents should handle it wisely because in extreme cases it can lead to hatred among siblings.

1 Like

Re: Your Thoughts About Parents Who Have Favorites Amongst Their Kids? by Nobody: 4:55pm On Jan 18, 2015
carefreewannabe:

I totally disagree.
I don't prefer any of my parents. cool
I love both of them just as much as I possibly can.
Re: Your Thoughts About Parents Who Have Favorites Amongst Their Kids? by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jan 18, 2015
Miami11:
I only have one child will comment more after two more kids if I pick a favourite.
I wasn't my moms favourite growing up, but now am the most successful I become her favorite which sometimes I tell her its because of my money.

That's very brave of you.

I don't think I can be that brave.
Re: Your Thoughts About Parents Who Have Favorites Amongst Their Kids? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jan 18, 2015
LadyX:
Parents should handle it wisely because in extreme cases it can lead to hatred among siblings.

I agree!

1 Like

Re: Your Thoughts About Parents Who Have Favorites Amongst Their Kids? by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jan 18, 2015
alutacontinua:

I totally disagree.

Wow!

That's quite rare!

I love both my parents but I am drawn to one more than the other in terms of how I relate with them.
Re: Your Thoughts About Parents Who Have Favorites Amongst Their Kids? by Miami11: 5:40pm On Jan 18, 2015
striktlymi:

That's very brave of you.

I don't think I can be that brave.
My mom would make it obvious that I was not her favorite, I knew it, I hated her, I doubted many times if I was her real biological daughter.
now wait until her two favorites dropped out of high school numerously and I sailed through successfuly.
I think she feels guilty and tries to make it up now. I forgave her but it was traumatic life for me growing up.
Re: Your Thoughts About Parents Who Have Favorites Amongst Their Kids? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Jan 18, 2015
Miami11:

My mom would make it obvious that I was not her favorite, I knew it, I hated her, I doubted many times if I was her real biological daughter.
now wait until her two favorites dropped out of high school numerously and I sailed through successfuly.
I think she feels guilty and tries to make it up now. I forgave her but it was traumatic life for me growing up.

Sorry you had to go through that.

I am glad you proved to be someone with a large heart and forgave her. smiley
Re: Your Thoughts About Parents Who Have Favorites Amongst Their Kids? by mutter(f): 6:08pm On Jan 18, 2015
I don`t love any of my kid`s more than the other.
Re: Your Thoughts About Parents Who Have Favorites Amongst Their Kids? by Nobody: 4:10pm On Jan 19, 2015
alutacontinua:

I totally disagree.

Good for you smiley

I also love both of my parents equally but they played different roles at different stages of my life. wink
Re: Your Thoughts About Parents Who Have Favorites Amongst Their Kids? by kendraloops(f): 11:21am On Jan 20, 2015
Miami11:

I can totally relate with you. My elder sis went through hell such that she had to tell pple that mumsy was her step mother. Me sef nko, i doubted her maternity over me. But our middle sis, ooo that was an angel. it is well jare. story too much.

(1) (Reply)

What Would You Do??!!! (photo) / Touching: 7-year-old Boy Donates Kidney To His Dying Mother / 24 Things A Mum Teaches Her Daughter Before Marraige

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.