Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,217 members, 7,822,106 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:36 AM

Honda Accord 2004 Power Steering Pump - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Honda Accord 2004 Power Steering Pump (8913 Views)

Toyota FV2 Futuristic Vehicle Doesn’t Use Steering Wheel / My Kazeem Said They Have Replaced Power Steering Oil With Engine Oil / Power Steering Issues: Tips On How To Fix It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Honda Accord 2004 Power Steering Pump by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jan 19, 2015
when turning the steering it make a kind of noise and i have change the power steering pump and its still making same sound...what should i do...need ur advice
Re: Honda Accord 2004 Power Steering Pump by adanny01(m): 1:41pm On Jan 19, 2015
sempeman:
when turning the steering it make a kind of noise and i have change the power steering pump and its still making same sound...what should i do...need ur advice

is the steering working normal, i mean soft?

Is it worst in the morning and reduce much later when the car is hot?
Re: Honda Accord 2004 Power Steering Pump by Nobody: 2:29pm On Jan 19, 2015
adanny01:

is the steering working normal, i mean soft?

Is it worst in the morning and reduce much later when the car is hot?

No its not soft.

Yes its worst in the morning and reduce later when the car is hot
Re: Honda Accord 2004 Power Steering Pump by ZIMDRILL(m): 4:56pm On Jan 19, 2015
sempeman:

what sort of noise does it make

you rushed to changed the pump with full diagnose

on average the powering pump makes noise when the fluid is below the minimum level and or when bearing inside is gone

you noise can be anything like inner/outer track rod end

a simple investigation, put the car on rump/lift and turn the steering to hear the sound and where it is coming from
Re: Honda Accord 2004 Power Steering Pump by abbeYhart(m): 5:27pm On Jan 19, 2015
I guess its the o-ring inside the steering pump. I had similar problem but it was fixed at agindigbi in ikeja at a very cheap price..if you happen to be in lagos..let me know so that I give you the number of the man who fixed mine.

1 Like

Re: Honda Accord 2004 Power Steering Pump by abatically(m): 7:20pm On Jan 19, 2015
Change the power steering o ring. Its a very cheap fix, if u can't do it urself, show this picture to ur mechanic he will know what to d .

2 Likes

Re: Honda Accord 2004 Power Steering Pump by ZIMDRILL(m): 8:47pm On Jan 19, 2015
abbeYhart:
I guess its the o-ring inside the steering pump. I had similar problem but it was fixed at agindigbi in ikeja at a very cheap price..if you happen to be in lagos..let me know so that I give you the number of the man who fixed mine.

making noise because of o ring or because it was leaking and fluid low ?
Re: Honda Accord 2004 Power Steering Pump by Nobody: 8:57pm On Jan 19, 2015
ZIMDRILL:

making noise because of o ring or because it was leaking and fluid low ?

The power steering pump is not leaking and the fluid is not low...but when i start the engine in the morning the fluid usually gush out and also bring out little bubbles.
Re: Honda Accord 2004 Power Steering Pump by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:18pm On Jan 19, 2015
sempeman:

The power steering pump is not leaking and the fluid is not low...but when i start the engine in the morning the fluid usually gush out and also bring out little bubbles.

my question is directed to the person who mentioned changing the o-ring
Re: Honda Accord 2004 Power Steering Pump by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:32pm On Jan 19, 2015
sempeman:

You bought a bad pump. Get another, and this time do not pay for it unless it works.
Re: Honda Accord 2004 Power Steering Pump by abatically(m): 10:07pm On Jan 19, 2015
ZIMDRILL:

my question is directed to the person who mentioned changing the o-ring

This is what I hate about cartalk. Some so called pro think they know it all, and they are very quick to critisize others. Honda power steering whine at cold start doesn't necessarily mean the pump is bad, it can simply mean the o ring is bad and need to be replaced. This is even published in Honda bulletin. I use an accord I have encountered the same problem and a simple o ring change fixed it. I didn't even spend up to 500 naira. Try to make research before criticizing.

3 Likes

Re: Honda Accord 2004 Power Steering Pump by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:02pm On Jan 19, 2015
abatically:

This is what I hate about cartalk. Some so called pro think they know it all, and they are very quick to critisize others. Honda power steering whine at cold start doesn't necessarily mean the pump is bad, it can simply mean the o ring is bad and need to be replaced. This is even published in Honda bulletin. I use an accord I have encountered the same problem and a simple o ring change fixed it. I didn't even spend up to 500 naira. Try to make research before criticizing.

it seems like when someone asks you guys you take it the wrong way

check again there is a question mark at the end of my sentence in my 1st post meaning am asking

and it doesnt mean am dismising what you said

Once again i never claimed to be PRO, if people take me as PRO thats how they see me but i have never claimed to one

and also being a pro doesnt mean i know every car inside and out NO ,

thats the reason i did put a question mark because you learn in asking and based with experience so far i have never came across such problem and got sorted by changing the o-ring but i didnt dismiss what you said i simply asked a question

me asking had an objective to learn something from your answer

just like i did in the workshop today a nissan quashai came in yesterday with a non working wiper motor, snow has built up on the screen and the lady kept on turning on the wiper until the motor siezed, got her a second hand, connected turn on the wiper and i wouldnt turn, checked the fuse it was blown, replaced it and still it wouldnt turn then unplugged it and put direct 12v to motor it turned, plugged it back turned the switch on and it would turn, then my partner put the negitive of the test meter on negitive terminal of the battery, test meter on 20v testing point then the positive on one of the positve wires to the motor, like magic the motor started to turn and it looked as if the motor has been jump started

so next time will use what we learnt today and if am to tell someone they would 1st question me again and i will to explain to them what happened in our 1st experience and him/her will learn from that if s/he will encounter such a problem
Re: Honda Accord 2004 Power Steering Pump by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:09am On Jan 20, 2015
sempeman:

No its not soft.

Yes its worst in the morning and reduce later when the car is hot

Before you add more to your problems.

The a bad "O" ring will allow air into the pump, which might starve the pump of the required flow of atf fluid, pump will be noisy especially in the morning(when cold), but more important steering will NOT be stiff. Culprit is still your pump get a good one.

1 Like

Re: Honda Accord 2004 Power Steering Pump by sultaan(m): 5:45am On Jan 20, 2015
Honda uses a special fluid if you are using the wrong fluid all that will happen
Re: Honda Accord 2004 Power Steering Pump by adanny01(m): 9:10am On Jan 20, 2015
abatically:

Dont mind some people.

I changed this same O-ring on my Honda and it stopped. And you know what, i begged my mechanic to do that, he refused saying that most times he changes something like that the pump fails and he gets the blame. I told him i will not blame him since i asked him to, but he insisted and refused. I did it myself came back to him with proof and its perfect.

Last week he told me he did it for a customer and collected 2k for it.

I have a service manual i got from NL that describes how to change all the other ring seals on the pump that brings back the pump to life and stop leakages. This inlet o-ring solves the whine.

Note: that a bad seal is stiff and loses its rubber feel while a new good one is flexible and softer. OP just change that o-ring. A bad inlet o-ring will allow the pump to suck air into the system creating bubbles or foam in the reservoir tank and may spill out in worst case scenario. However, on the soft part, the bubbles in the system is air which will reduce the efficiency of the pump but not total failure. After the 0-ring change and it doesn't become as soft as it used to be, then there may be another problem with the pump. Other seals of the pump will cause leakage of ATF but not its efficiency.

2 Likes

Re: Honda Accord 2004 Power Steering Pump by adanny01(m): 9:13am On Jan 20, 2015
ZIMDRILL:

it seems like when someone asks you guys you take it the wrong way

check again there is a question mark at the end of my sentence in my 1st post meaning am asking

and it doesnt mean am dismising what you said

Once again i never claimed to be PRO, if people take me as PRO thats how they see me but i have never claimed to one

and also being a pro doesnt mean i know every car inside and out NO ,

thats the reason i did put a question mark because you learn in asking and based with experience so far i have never came across such problem and got sorted by changing the o-ring but i didnt dismiss what you said i simply asked a question

me asking had an objective to learn something from your answer

just like i did in the workshop today a nissan quashai came in yesterday with a non working wiper motor, snow has built up on the screen and the lady kept on turning on the wiper until the motor siezed, got her a second hand, connected turn on the wiper and i wouldnt turn, checked the fuse it was blown, replaced it and still it wouldnt turn then unplugged it and put direct 12v to motor it turned, plugged it back turned the switch on and it would turn, then my partner put the negitive of the test meter on negitive terminal of the battery, test meter on 20v testing point then the positive on one of the positve wires to the motor, like magic the motor started to turn and it looked as if the motor has been jump started

so next time will use what we learnt today and if am to tell someone they would 1st question me again and i will to explain to them what happened in our 1st experience and him/her will learn from that if s/he will encounter such a problem

GAZZUZZ:

Before you add more to your problems.

The a bad "O" ring will allow air into the pump, which might starve the pump of the required flow of atf fluid, pump will be noisy especially in the morning(when cold), but more important steering will NOT be stiff. Culprit is still your pump get a good one.

I can testify to the o-ring change. I had the wine around October last year which pumped oil out but I changed the o-ring which solved it and its working well till today. .
Re: Honda Accord 2004 Power Steering Pump by disloman(m): 6:49pm On Jan 20, 2015
abatically:

u ain't see anything yet.they r bunch of crazy baboons.@op;don't need to change ur pump.do as Abatically instructed.There r 2 seals attached to d hoses connected to d pump.change those seals or d mech knws how to service d pump in order to stop air mixturing with d fluid.
Re: Honda Accord 2004 Power Steering Pump by Namzy(m): 12:17pm On Jan 22, 2015
Same thing happened to me. Steering hard in the morning, noisy and bubbles or fluid leaking from reservoir. The problem is AIR. Had to bleed mine and problem stopped. You need to bleed the power steering especially after installing a new one. Its a must. The procedure is simple. If after that you still have the bubbles then change o ring. Bleed mine like thrice before problem stopped.
Re: Honda Accord 2004 Power Steering Pump by obitobe: 8:21am On Mar 21, 2015
please i stay in PH, where can i get to buy the O-rings, my pump is leaking from the center coupling.
Re: Honda Accord 2004 Power Steering Pump by murphy02(m): 2:07pm On Mar 21, 2015
Hello house

please i have the same problem with my 96 Camry.....the hand is usually stiffer in the morning....could the problem be o ring as well?
Re: Honda Accord 2004 Power Steering Pump by thebigkendo(m): 9:50am On Jan 15, 2018
adanny01:

I have a service manual i got from NL that describes how to change all the other ring seals on the pump that brings back the pump to life and stop leakages. This inlet o-ring solves the whine.

Note: that a bad seal is stiff and loses its rubber feel while a new good one is flexible and softer. OP just change that o-ring. A bad inlet o-ring will allow the pump to suck air into the system creating bubbles or foam in the reservoir tank and may spill out in worst case scenario. However, on the soft part, the bubbles in the system is air which will reduce the efficiency of the pump but not total failure. After the 0-ring change and it doesn't become as soft as it used to be, then there may be another problem with the pump. Other seals of the pump will cause leakage of ATF but not its efficiency.

Why ATF instead of PSF?
I am presently having a slow PSF leak on my car, I went to the market to buy Honda PSF and was given honda DW-1 instead, i then asked 3 colleagues using same Honda accord 2006 what power steering fluid they use they all said ATF.

cc kingreign Gazzuzz luvinhubby
Re: Honda Accord 2004 Power Steering Pump by Stephandeswardt: 2:08pm On Jan 15, 2018
abatically:

I use a honda accord 2009.....mine use to whine at cold start, but i started using dexron 3 atf.....and even at cold start it doesnt whine and thr steering is softer
Re: Honda Accord 2004 Power Steering Pump by adanny01(m): 2:41pm On Jan 15, 2018
thebigkendo:

Why ATF instead of PSF?
I am presently having a slow PSF leak on my car, I went to the market to buy Honda PSF and was given honda DW-1 instead, i then asked 3 colleagues using same Honda accord 2006 what power steering fluid they use they all said ATF.

In that sense, i mean PSF. However, Honda PSF is hard to find while expensive.

Besides, some cars other than Honda recommend alternatives such as DEXRON I, II or III. It is safe to assume it will work on Honda but may not be safe.

Personally, a mechanic once repaired my 07 Honda Accord PS pump after buying so many bad pumps. What he recommended as PSF was light engine oil, SAE 40. It worked perfectly for years.

According to them, only ATF as PSF is too light and pumps will either leak or heat will damage the seals leading to early pump failure.

My assumption is that a blend of ATF and engine oil (Forte Visco 2000 whichs is same clour with ATF) will suffice. I currently have pump leakage and thats what i will use after working on it.
Re: Honda Accord 2004 Power Steering Pump by thebigkendo(m): 8:24am On Jan 16, 2018
adanny01:

In that sense, i mean PSF. However, Honda PSF is hard to find while expensive.

Besides, some cars other than Honda recommend alternatives such as DEXRON I, II or III. It is safe to assume it will work on Honda but may not be safe.

Personally, a mechanic once repaired my 07 Honda Accord PS pump after buying so many bad pumps. What he recommended as PSF was light engine oil, SAE 40. It worked perfectly for years.

According to them, only ATF as PSF is too light and pumps will either leak or heat will damage the seals leading to early pump failure.

My assumption is that a blend of ATF and engine oil (Forte Visco 2000 whichs is same clour with ATF) will suffice. I currently have pump leakage and thats what i will use after working on it.

Interesting!! On Mine, the leakage i saw was on the return line, Have changed the clamp so no more leakage from that side but my reservior level keeps reducing and i can't find leakage anywhere

1 Like

Re: Honda Accord 2004 Power Steering Pump by adanny01(m): 4:53pm On Jan 16, 2018
thebigkendo:

Interesting!! On Mine, the leakage i saw was on the return line, Have changed the clamp so no more leakage from that side but my reservior level keeps reducing and i can't find leakage anywhere

If level drops, there is definitely leakage.

Most times, the invisible leakage from PS system is from steering rack. It leaks into the boot where it gathers there.
Re: Honda Accord 2004 Power Steering Pump by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:19am On Jan 21, 2018
adanny01:

Most times, the invisible leakage from PS system is from steering rack. It leaks into the boot where it gathers there .

grin
Re: Honda Accord 2004 Power Steering Pump by obekediamondfuto(m): 2:21pm On Jan 21, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

grin

gazuzz which boot abeg, I need to learn this one! the boot of the car or under the car? from my little experience, steering rack leakages will leak out under the car! never heard of boot tho.... please shed more light.

as for the Honda PS, the wrong fluid will shorten lifespan of PS pump, wrong fluid will also weaken seals and when it becomes severe, will start leaking from all corners....... Honda spoil button full everywhere! I have personally encountered that whine on my accord, guess what? it started when I decided to top off with the same atf dextron 111 I use in my Camry.... too many spoil buttons everywhere!
Re: Honda Accord 2004 Power Steering Pump by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:26pm On Jan 21, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

gazuzz which boot abeg, I need to learn this one! the boot of the car or under the car? from my little experience, steering rack leakages will leak out under the car! never heard of boot tho.... please shed more light.

as for the Honda PS, the wrong fluid will shorten lifespan of PS pump, wrong fluid will also weaken seals and when it becomes severe, will start leaking from all corners....... Honda spoil button full everywhere! I have personally encountered that whine on my accord, guess what? it started when I decided to top off with the same atf dextron 111 I use in my Camry.... too many spoil buttons everywhere!

steering boot.
Re: Honda Accord 2004 Power Steering Pump by thebigkendo(m): 7:27pm On Jan 21, 2018
adanny01:

Most times, the invisible leakage from PS system is from steering rack. It leaks into the boot where it gathers there.

You are correct.. It leaked into the boot on the drivers side.. Boot is torn now, but the funny thing is that only the new PSF fluid I topped up with is leaking out, I know this because I noticed fluid in the reservoir was a little below the minimum mark, I then topped up to a little before the max mark, After driving around for some days, the fluid level is back to the same level before I topped up.. I drove for another week again. It never when lower. But when the engine is running, PSF fluid level is in between min & max but early morning before first drive its a little below the low.

NB GAZZUZZ do you have any Honda DC steering rack you are not using?
Re: Honda Accord 2004 Power Steering Pump by obekediamondfuto(m): 8:30pm On Jan 21, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

steering boot.

OK

1 Like

Re: Honda Accord 2004 Power Steering Pump by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:22am On Jan 22, 2018
thebigkendo:

You are correct.. It leaked into the boot on the drivers side.. Boot is torn now, but the funny thing is that only the new PSF fluid I topped up with is leaking out, I know this because I noticed fluid in the reservoir was a little below the minimum mark, I then topped up to a little before the max mark, After driving around for some days, the fluid level is back to the same level before I topped up.. I drove for another week again. It never when lower. But when the engine is running, PSF fluid level is in between min & max but early morning before first drive its a little below the low.

NB GAZZU.ZZ do you have any Honda DC steering rack you are not using?

bia nwokem this is monday morning.....

2 Likes

Re: Honda Accord 2004 Power Steering Pump by adanny01(m): 10:35pm On Apr 23, 2018
adanny01:

Dont mind some people.

I changed this same O-ring on my Honda and it stopped. And you know what, i begged my mechanic to do that, he refused saying that most times he changes something like that the pump fails and he gets the blame. I told him i will not blame him since i asked him to, but he insisted and refused. I did it myself came back to him with proof and its perfect.

Last week he told me he did it for a customer and collected 2k for it.

I have discovered other sources of PS pump whine.

1. PS oil reservoir has a filter in it, a blocked or dirty filter will starve the pump of oil and it will whine.

2. Using non recommended PS oil or oil with too low viscosity. This happened to me. After changing leaking seals of the steering rack and filling the system with fresh Abro ATF. The pump began to whine with not cause. All efforts to stop whine didnt work until a kazeem asked me to flush Abro out and use plain engine oil (Forte Visco 2000). Surprisingly, it solved my problem and the steering is even smoother than before. In the absence if original Honda PS fluid, light engine oil will suffice.

3. Any leak on the suction hose or clips.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fuel Consumption Reduction Using Camphor / Ugandan Students Build An Electric Vehicle. Shame On Nigeria! / How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.