Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,125 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:35 AM

10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage (64513 Views)

10 Common Habits That Damage Your Kidneys (Photo) / Hidden Causes Of Kidney Failure / Top-6 Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Damage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage by princechrming(m): 2:31pm On Jan 19, 2015
My posting this was necessitated as a result of the death of Nollywood actor Muna Obiekwe. May his soul rest in peace, Amen.

When lalasticlala posted news of his death yesterday and stated the cause of death as kidney failure I was shocked and decided to look into the cause of kidney failure, I was indeed enlightened about kidney disease. I found out a lot , but most surprising were habits that most Nigerians engage in which could cause kidney damage.

I know most folks on Nairaland hate lengthy epistles which may be boring to read so I'll briefly list those bad habits here, for a more detailed explanation you can find the URL links at the bottom of my post.

1. Delayed emptying of your bladder -Retaining urine in your bladder for a long time on a daily basis when pressed is a very bad idea. Long-term full bladder is easy to cause the bladder damage. That the urine stays at bladder for a long time can cause the bacteria breeding easily, once the urine refluxes back to ureter and kidneys, the toxic
substance cam result in the kidney infections, then urinary tract infection, and then nephritis, even Uremia. So when nature calls, answer it without delay.

2. Consuming too much salt - No more than 5.8 grams of salt should be eaten daily, so take it easy with that salt shaker.

3. Consuming too much meat - According to Harvard University, too much protein in your diet can harm the kidneys. The by product of protein digestion is
ammonia – a toxin your hard-working kidneys need to neutralize. More protein means more effort for the kidneys, which can, over time, lead to decreased function.

4. Consuming too much caffeine - We often consume more caffeine than we think we do. Caffeine is in many soft drinks and sodas, and before you know it, your blood pressure goes through the roof and your kidneys start complaining. Take it easy on the likes of Fanta, Coke, 7Up, Fayrouz, etc

5. Not drinking enough water – Our kidneys need to get properly hydrated to perform their functions. If we don’t drink enough, the toxins can start accumulating in the blood, as there isn’t enough fluid
to drain them through the kidneys. Drink about 12 glasses of water a day. An easy way to see if you’re drinking enough is to check the colour of your urine. The lighter in colour, the better.

6. Improper and untimely treatment of infections - Treat infections properly and on time and complete medication dosage.

7. Pain-killer abuse - Taking excessive amounts of analgesics to relive pain is a no no!

8. Too much alcohol consumption - The toxins found in alcohol not only damage the liver, but also your kidneys. According to Kidney Health Australia and American Kidney Fund, one way to avoid kidney disease is to drink alcohol in moderation.

9. Smoking -Smoking has been linked to arthrosclerosis. The narrowing and hardening of blood vessels affects the blood supply to all vital organs, including the kidneys. According to the study published in Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics,
two cigarettes a day are enough to double the number of endothelial cells present in your blood. This is a signal of arterial damage. Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology cites many
different studies conducted since 2003 which all link smoking to decreased kidney function.

10. Lack of exercise - Exercise is another good way to protect your kidneys. A large study published in 2013 in the Journal of the American Society of Nephrology suggested that postmenopausal women who
exercised had 31% lower risk of developing kidney stones. Generally speaking, maintaining a healthy weight will reduce your chances of kidney stones, so get moving.

References:
www.kidney-support.org/living-with-kidney-disease/14.html

www.healthyandnaturalworld.com/common-habits-that-can-damage-your-kidneys/

www.healthyfoodstar.com/10-common-habits-that-damage-the-kidneys/

Let's stay healthy, if not for anything stay healthy for those you love, because they need you in their lives. Wishing everyone a healthy 2015.

246 Likes 59 Shares

Re: 10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jan 19, 2015
Thanks for sharing op smiley

Fly high Muna, RIP sad

26 Likes

Re: 10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage by Henix(m): 2:37pm On Jan 19, 2015
quite educative

2 Likes

Re: 10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage by cloud9usher: 2:46pm On Jan 19, 2015
I learnt a lot! Thank you OP, Nairaland health section mods need to puch this up to homepage because Nigerians would gain from this. Sissy3 and dominique, do the needful.

5 Likes

Re: 10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage by Goahead(m): 2:47pm On Jan 19, 2015
Rushes to peegrin

67 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage by Ojestas(m): 3:01pm On Jan 19, 2015
Drunkards, una dey hear?

24 Likes

Re: 10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage by adsamsom: 5:49pm On Jan 19, 2015
Alomo tinz........

7 Likes

Re: 10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage by datguru: 5:49pm On Jan 19, 2015
I'm afraid

RIP MUNA RUDO !

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage by vickylinco(m): 5:49pm On Jan 19, 2015
thanks for that info. it will help us a lot
Re: 10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage by Isiterere(m): 5:50pm On Jan 19, 2015
....thank God i'm not into any of this.... And living good life continue...

ALL IZZ WELL

2 Likes

Re: 10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage by eluquenson(m): 5:50pm On Jan 19, 2015
Those are the simple truth that must be adhered to.
Re: 10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage by dre11(m): 5:51pm On Jan 19, 2015
Quite educative

But a lot of people keep abusing two most common causes
Taking of much alcohol
Taking too much of caffeinated drinks

This kills the kidney than anything
Re: 10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage by eleojo23: 5:51pm On Jan 19, 2015
Thanks for the information.
These days anyone can have any disease. Some diseases are no longer limited to older people. These days you find young people with diabetes, high blood pressure and other diseases one thought were for old people.
Just last week, a young boy of around 11 years was struggling in the children ER with the one kidney that he had left.
From the information I gathered, one of his kidneys had previously gone bad and had to be removed and now he is having problem with the remaining one.
He is having a back-flow of urine into his kidney (uropathy I think). I just hope he gets proper medical attention.

Looking at all these, one has to be careful with his lifestyle in order to prevent all these diseases.
Above all, God is the ultimate healer and preventer of all these disease. Let us do our part by watching our lifestyle and rely on him to protect us even when we are not so careful.

26 Likes

Re: 10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage by hazyfm1: 5:52pm On Jan 19, 2015
Thanks OP
Re: 10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage by AGgal(f): 5:52pm On Jan 19, 2015
Lord have mercy,I'm guilty of some!

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage by spartanian(m): 5:52pm On Jan 19, 2015
Mouthaction cry
Re: 10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage by ladyconfessor: 5:52pm On Jan 19, 2015
I was hoping to see Inhaling fuel fume... I'm so obsessed with the smell.
Any side effect for that angry pls
Re: 10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage by 0merta(m): 5:53pm On Jan 19, 2015
8. Too much Alcohol consumption.
9. Smoking.

Those are my concerns.

OP, abeg no dey scare person anyhow.

Something must kill a man!

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage by DjHypno(m): 5:53pm On Jan 19, 2015
H
Re: 10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage by emalek86(m): 5:53pm On Jan 19, 2015
Is Muna really dead?
Re: 10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage by jingh(f): 5:53pm On Jan 19, 2015
alrite
Re: 10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage by ashewopeckas(f): 5:53pm On Jan 19, 2015
OP, when you say drink alcohol in moderation, you need to be a more specific with how much is moderate in enough and what type of alcohol.
E.g, one shot of alomo bitters or OSOMO a day will kill u faster than a glass of good redwine after every meal.

Let's learn to 'nigerianilse' these oyinbo articles....

6 Likes

Re: 10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage by germainediva(f): 5:54pm On Jan 19, 2015
Nawa o.......no body fit get 10/10 for ds one o....may God help us o

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage by raziboi(m): 5:54pm On Jan 19, 2015
owk
Re: 10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage by silverdam(m): 5:54pm On Jan 19, 2015
Okay! So you expect me to believe this? Abegi, what will be will be. I believe everything that happens to any man is destiny, no matter what you do to prevent it, it will surely happen. Those that will die of Kidney failure will die of kidney failure, so my advice is to pray to God not to die untimely.

Kidney failure and the public donation for the treatment will never be your portion as you're reading this. Amen!

13 Likes

Re: 10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage by yorke1: 5:54pm On Jan 19, 2015
Delayed emptying your sperm nko?

7 Likes

Re: 10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage by millionboi(m): 5:54pm On Jan 19, 2015
Prayer sld be on d lst
Re: 10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage by Meel: 5:54pm On Jan 19, 2015
Our own is to caution our self, God is d only one dat saves life.

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage by Ezeibe(m): 5:54pm On Jan 19, 2015
kam buchalu some space ..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage by onuwaje(m): 5:55pm On Jan 19, 2015
Man need. To b careful.. thanks for this informative post!...
But does high consumption of fish or eggs have any side effect on d kidney? Cos am a lover of eggs and fishes..
Thannks
Re: 10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage by medoyin(m): 5:55pm On Jan 19, 2015
OP,thanks a bunch but will appreciate if you can work on causes of cancer as well..God bless
Re: 10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage by lonelydora: 5:55pm On Jan 19, 2015
No. 8. makes scared. I can't do without alcohol. Man die go, woman born again.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

'Now I Can Expose My Face'; Lady Says After Removal Of Head Tumour. Graphic Pics / Benefits Of Shea Butter On The Skin. / 6 Diseases That Could Embarrass You In The Public

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.