Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,160 members, 7,811,349 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:55 AM

Alomo Bitters Is Down And Out: 7 Things They Got Wrong - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Alomo Bitters Is Down And Out: 7 Things They Got Wrong (4007 Views)

7 Things You Should Do When Starting An Online Business / Things They Told Us That Is No Longer Applicable In 2017 / 7 Things You Should Learn To Do Before You Start An Online Home Based Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Alomo Bitters Is Down And Out: 7 Things They Got Wrong by lolaxavier(m): 2:58pm On Jan 19, 2015
One wonders how a brand which was once regarded by few as a special gift from God to men, has suddenly lost its mojo. Merely two years ago, it would have been pretty difficult to envisage that Alomo Bitters would cease to hold major appeal among its core consumer any time soon.

But then it did, and all indications clearly suggest that Alomo has lost its grip on the market it once dominated comfortably. Although ‘bitter drink’ brands like Oroki and Ogidiga were launched around the same time Alomo came into the market, they never really threatened its hold on the market.

However, with the emergence of Guinness produced Orijin, the Ghana-made drink (Alomo) and its contemporaries are gradually falling short in the sales department.

Here are 7 mistakes Alomo made, that led to the challenge of their dominance of the market.

Positioning as a brand for the hoi polloi: If there is one thing that kills such brands, is the fact that the target audience are extremely unfaithful. What they care about mostly is which brand gives satisfaction at the cheaper cost, and which has the newest offering. They always want to have a feel of something new. Orijin made sure this was taken care of by offering a brand even the premium customers are happy to associate with as well as affordable for the general public.

Complacency as a market leader: As a foreign brand (based in Ghana) I believe the least that could have been done was to ensure there was a continuous marketing strategy to ensure it sustained ‘top of mind awareness’. After successfully creating an emotional bond with its consumers, Alomo decided to relax on its activities and in the process, completely lost this connection to Orijin. Incidentally Orijin has not relented on its marketing since it began to dominate the market.

Not providing varieties for consumers: I am unquestionably not the only one who likes to make choices. Many brands all over the world have comprehended that having varieties of a particular product helps them win the hearts of a lot more. New brands in the beverage market tend to launch into the market with varieties, while the older ones are beginning to add some ‘swag’ to their products. If Alomo bitters had come up varieties of flavor, I’m certain they would have given their consumers a lot more satisfaction. Despite a huge level of comfort in the market, non-alcoholic brand Fanta realized it was imperative to produce an apple-flavoured drink that will compete with the likes of La Casera. Maltina on the other hand perceived that consumers were getting so comfortable with buying drinks in PET bottles, and decided to go same route.

Overdue Re-branding: For brands who engage in rebranding, the idea is to present loyal customers with a feel of an improvement in the product, and at the same time win new customers. With fake products infiltrating the market, the least that could have been done, four years after entering the market, was to re-brand with better security features to prevent imitation, and maintain customers’ confidence.

Employing an agency with little experience in PR/Marketing of an alcoholic beverage: In a situation of crisis, and the strong desire to compete with brands like Orijin, Ogidiga, Kerewa, amongst others; I would have expected the brand to engage the services of a more experienced PR/Marketing firm (with due respect to Chain Reactions). A firm in the realms of The Quadrant Company or Mediacraft Associates Ltd. would have been appropriate. Although I’m certain the retainer fee was a huge deciding factor, something a brand like Alomo should have ignored and rather focused more on the positive outcome to be enjoyed.

Poor media engagements: Until I visited the Kasapreko brewery in Ghana, I had the impression of a cheaply brewed drink. The million dollar brewery is actually one of the largest in Ghana. This is an information that should have been well communicated in the media, through the engagement of a reputable PR firm. There were widespread damaging comments in the media about the brand over a year ago. Talks about fakes of the product and it being harmful for consumption filled the air, and yet no proper response came from the company to shut down these claims. Their inaction led to many losing confidence in the brand.

Neglecting quality: Of course the consumers are aware that it’s a blend of herbs, but that doesn’t prevent it from being properly filtered and brewed to perfection. Just from its taste, Orijin consumers are guaranteed of a ‘premium drink’ so to speak. Alomo became more popular for its supposed sexual enhancement capabilities and it patronized by the lower class citizens.

- See more at: http://bizwatchnigeria.ng/alomo-bitters-is-down-and-out-7-things-they-got-wrong/#sthash.Jg4Dds9P.dpuf

4 Likes

Re: Alomo Bitters Is Down And Out: 7 Things They Got Wrong by TRADELYN: 3:09pm On Jan 19, 2015
I see some nice points made.

I will have to come read this again.
Re: Alomo Bitters Is Down And Out: 7 Things They Got Wrong by iyatrustee(f): 3:17pm On Jan 19, 2015
Valuable points that would profit any business.

Thanks@ OP
Re: Alomo Bitters Is Down And Out: 7 Things They Got Wrong by timawoku(m): 3:42am On Jan 20, 2015
Most importantly, ethnocentrism.
Re: Alomo Bitters Is Down And Out: 7 Things They Got Wrong by mrsage(m): 12:40pm On Jan 20, 2015
Valuable points.
Re: Alomo Bitters Is Down And Out: 7 Things They Got Wrong by achimotan(m): 1:43pm On Aug 20, 2015
Great insight.Doing a research on int.marketing and have found this useful
Re: Alomo Bitters Is Down And Out: 7 Things They Got Wrong by OCTAVO: 2:56pm On Aug 20, 2015
Nice
Re: Alomo Bitters Is Down And Out: 7 Things They Got Wrong by Tobex4realTobex234(m): 11:16am On Aug 22, 2015
Very soon these brands will realize that retention is what matters than acquisition of new customers. While all your points were valid, I think they had a low budget on proper brand positioning.
Re: Alomo Bitters Is Down And Out: 7 Things They Got Wrong by kolokolobi(m): 1:17pm On Aug 22, 2015
Further to all the OP had stated I'm also of the opinion that they were not aware or studying the competition neither were they gathering competitive intelligence. It is also possible that they didn't consider international business angle such as internationalization but we're treating their operations as simply international trade. They could have gone the long haul by not only dominating the market but also stiffle competition some of OPs points like creating new products within same segment target and expand market share. They were not also monitoring their unique competing space and the dynamics around its boundaries.
Furthermore @ tobex are you sure it was a low budget thing or that they lack the knowledge about the whole and necessary markcomms mix.
Re: Alomo Bitters Is Down And Out: 7 Things They Got Wrong by stanvesco(m): 9:24am On Aug 23, 2015
[quote author=lolaxavier post=29933547]One wonders how a brand which was once regarded by few as a special gift from God to men, has suddenly lost its mojo. Merely two years ago, it would have been pretty difficult to envisage that Alomo Bitters would cease to hold major appeal among its core consumer any time soon.

But then it did, and all indications clearly suggest that Alomo has lost its grip on the market it once dominated comfortably. Although ‘bitter drink’ brands like Oroki and Ogidiga were launched around the same time Alomo came into the market, they never really threatened its hold on the market.

However, with the emergence of Guinness produced Orijin, the Ghana-made drink (Alomo) and its contemporaries are gradually falling short in the sales department.

Here are 7 mistakes Alomo made, that led to the challenge of their dominance of the market.

Positioning as a brand for the hoi polloi: If there is one thing that kills such brands, is the fact that the target audience are extremely unfaithful. What they care about mostly is which brand gives satisfaction at the cheaper cost, and which has the newest offering. They always want to have a feel of something new. Orijin made sure this was taken care of by offering a brand even the premium customers are happy to associate with as well as affordable for the general public.

Complacency as a market leader: As a foreign brand (based in Ghana) I believe the least that could have been done was to ensure there was a continuous marketing strategy to ensure it sustained ‘top of mind awareness’. After successfully creating an emotional bond with its consumers, Alomo decided to relax on its activities and in the process, completely lost this connection to Orijin. Incidentally Orijin has not relented on its marketing since it began to dominate the market.

Not providing varieties for consumers: I am unquestionably not the only one who likes to make choices. Many brands all over the world have comprehended that having varieties of a particular product helps them win the hearts of a lot more. New brands in the beverage market tend to launch into the market with varieties, while the older ones are beginning to add some ‘swag’ to their products. If Alomo bitters had come up varieties of flavor, I’m certain they would have given their consumers a lot more satisfaction. Despite a huge level of comfort in the market, non-alcoholic brand Fanta realized it was imperative to produce an apple-flavoured drink that will compete with the likes of La Casera. Maltina on the other hand perceived that consumers were getting so comfortable with buying drinks in PET bottles, and decided to go same route.

Overdue Re-branding: For brands who engage in rebranding, the idea is to present loyal customers with a feel of an improvement in the product, and at the same time win new customers. With fake products infiltrating the market, the least that could have been done, four years after entering the market, was to re-brand with better security features to prevent imitation, and maintain customers’ confidence.

Employing an agency with little experience in PR/Marketing of an alcoholic beverage: In a situation of crisis, and the strong desire to compete with brands like Orijin, Ogidiga, Kerewa, amongst others; I would have expected the brand to engage the services of a more experienced PR/Marketing firm (with due respect to Chain Reactions). A firm in the realms of The Quadrant Company or Mediacraft Associates Ltd. would have been appropriate. Although I’m certain the retainer fee was a huge deciding factor, something a brand like Alomo should have ignored and rather focused more on the positive outcome to be enjoyed.

Poor media engagements: Until I visited the Kasapreko brewery in Ghana, I had the impression of a cheaply brewed drink. The million dollar brewery is actually one of the largest in Ghana. This is an information that should have been well communicated in the media, through the engagement of a reputable PR firm. There were widespread damaging comments in the media about the brand over a year ago. Talks about fakes of the product and it being harmful for consumption filled the air, and yet no proper response came from the company to shut down these claims. Their inaction led to many losing confidence in the brand.

I pray every morning that God should never let a more innovative product than my own products ever come into the market,and in order to be fair to my customers; we innovate yearly,we. Add styles,freebies,and most importantly we reduce cost yearly....tanks to more fund and sourcing our materials cheaply.....personnally I tot alomo was bitter and was an AGBO.........tanks op, am running to add a perfect finishing to my products.....dis helped 100percent............proudly d ceo stanVESCO group of companies
Re: Alomo Bitters Is Down And Out: 7 Things They Got Wrong by osile2012: 11:30am On Aug 23, 2015
Also they forgot the importance of customer feedback. This is why we provide an avenue for Nigerians to rate Top Brands , Products and People in Nigeria.

To rate, do the following

#1 follow the link on my signature

#2 click on either rate brands, rate products or rate people

#3 click on the item you wish to rate and give your score

#4 you can rate as many brands products or people as you wish .

Re: Alomo Bitters Is Down And Out: 7 Things They Got Wrong by sluvy4tune(m): 12:22pm On Aug 23, 2015
Alomo created the brand, but failed to owned it .

That was a major error in the industry.

Orijin simply stole the buzz alomo had created
Re: Alomo Bitters Is Down And Out: 7 Things They Got Wrong by kolokolobi(m): 7:54pm On Aug 23, 2015
I like the idea of brand creation and owning it. DHL tried to do that in the courier business by saying... Don't just send it, DHL it. So it was no surprise people would say I want to DHL this or that parcel. In effect it's about being conscious of your unique competing space and dominating and expanding it, pushing out competition. By the way bitters had always been around. I remember I knew about sweedish bitters as a kid but it was a geriatric thing I felt. Alomo bitters reinvented it sort of that it became a fad amongst the youth which is a feat I must say. This feat I'm sure was given a helping hand by improved health consciousness all round.
Re: Alomo Bitters Is Down And Out: 7 Things They Got Wrong by ayufun: 8:24am On Mar 30, 2019
While it can not be said that alomo bitters is wholly a medicinal drink with benefits, it can not be said also that this is harmful to the health. For our view on this herbal drink, you can read more here https://www.nairaland.com/5023474/healthpally.com-alomo-bitters-review-ingredients

(1) (Reply)

Naira Against Cefa, What Is The Rate Today? / Company Name Search & Reservation For New Businesses!!! / WAMCO Peak Milk And WAMCO Other Product At Wholesale Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.