Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,942 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:16 AM

7 Things You Should Do When Starting An Online Business - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 7 Things You Should Do When Starting An Online Business (7577 Views)

3 Common Mistakes People Make When Starting A Business / 7 Mistakes To Avoid When Starting An Online Business / 8 Mistakes I Made Starting An Online Business In Nigeria That You Should Avoid! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Things You Should Do When Starting An Online Business by homeprofitmaste(m): 7:38pm On Apr 12, 2017
Starting an online business is an altogether complicated thing to do. Many have failed because of the inability to cope with the ups and downs, attributed to a lack of foresight and planning.

To have a better shot at success, here are 7 things you should not do:

1. Do your homework.

When starting an online business, preparation is crucial. Think of it like cooking: you start by preparing your ingredients. How do you decide on what ingredients to prepare? It's through research.

Without doing any research, the consequences that await you are dire. Research who your customers will be, your product, and what people are willing to pay for your services. Give yourself a good start by preparing before the real business begins.

2. Plan with data

Do not plan unless you've done your research thoroughly and gathered data. You need to have sufficient data before you can even start to make out a plan. With data, you'll be able to come up with a recipe for success that will likely work - and sell.

3. Worry about the money

Money is what sustains a business, and without it you'll never be able to make your business stand up and. In business, there is always a chance that you'll run out of money before you can even make a profit.

Plan out your financial goals in advance, don't wait until it's too late. Have a safety net or contingency plan already prepared in case something happens.

4. Setting the price right

Sometimes when you're desperate in selling, you'll set the price at a very low cost. This is something you must avoid, for this means the business is not working. Do not undervalue yourself. Set the necessary price to be able to make a decent, worthy profit.

5. Have a friendly, catchy domain name

Your domain or web address is an important tools for online businesses. Your customers' first impression will rely heavily on how your website looks and works.

You must have a simple and clear navigation so that your customers can browse leisurely. Also, another important thing is to ensure the web hosting of your website. Choose a trustworthy host to avoid downtime.

6. Consider SEO and branding, and being active on social media.

Make your online business work by generating massive amounts of web traffic. Even if your product is great, without search engine optimization (SEO), it will be buried by thousands of websites. You must be active in major social media sites as well. This means advertising and cultivating brand awareness. Facebook and Pinterest are good places to start.

7. Value Customer service and experience.

Remember customers are looking a good buying experience as well a good product. Interact with them, and answer their questions promptly. That can be through chat, e-mail, telephone, or surveys. Make them feel welcome to share their concerns. In all likelihood, they will return to your website.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Things You Should Do When Starting An Online Business by Absa: 7:32am On Apr 13, 2017
I don chop FTC na Godwin!!!!

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Should Do When Starting An Online Business by tochivitus(m): 7:32am On Apr 13, 2017
u forgot to add perseverance and prayer

2 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Should Do When Starting An Online Business by tstx(m): 7:32am On Apr 13, 2017
What about an Offline Business?

2 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Should Do When Starting An Online Business by veekid(m): 7:32am On Apr 13, 2017
7 is correct
Re: 7 Things You Should Do When Starting An Online Business by overhypedsteve(m): 7:33am On Apr 13, 2017
with Stevezuks webs inc. you can rest easy and watch us build your online business for you
Re: 7 Things You Should Do When Starting An Online Business by friimarket01: 7:33am On Apr 13, 2017
setting up an online business is way cheaper than setting up an off-line business. that why i keep advising people to take this direction.
check out my signature if you are interested in setting up yours or if you need advise on how to go about it.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Should Do When Starting An Online Business by overhypedsteve(m): 7:33am On Apr 13, 2017
building an online marketing strategy is different from an of-line strategy, you will need the best advice you can get unless your expensive website will jist be sitting there, nobody will have its time.
Re: 7 Things You Should Do When Starting An Online Business by Horlawale1(m): 7:34am On Apr 13, 2017
Re: 7 Things You Should Do When Starting An Online Business by iraborosasu: 7:34am On Apr 13, 2017
Pray For God's Direction too

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Should Do When Starting An Online Business by paskyboy: 7:34am On Apr 13, 2017
Okay
Re: 7 Things You Should Do When Starting An Online Business by Ezedon(m): 7:36am On Apr 13, 2017
OK that's good
Re: 7 Things You Should Do When Starting An Online Business by Nobody: 7:36am On Apr 13, 2017
NOTED
Re: 7 Things You Should Do When Starting An Online Business by Princess4ng(f): 7:36am On Apr 13, 2017
Lol.. Online business.. Does it really pay Just asking though
Re: 7 Things You Should Do When Starting An Online Business by Osasnidas(m): 7:36am On Apr 13, 2017
jeez all this mod self.. my 4th fp today
Re: 7 Things You Should Do When Starting An Online Business by 3RNEST(m): 7:37am On Apr 13, 2017
Dope thread, online business pays...
Re: 7 Things You Should Do When Starting An Online Business by itiswellandwell: 7:39am On Apr 13, 2017
Nice one

Are you a student? The link below might be of interest to you. Check it out.

https://www.nairaland.com/3657298/low-start-up-capital-business/4
Re: 7 Things You Should Do When Starting An Online Business by anitasoll(f): 7:40am On Apr 13, 2017
Princess4ng:
Lol.. Online business.. Does it really pay Just asking though

Hi there,

I see that you are quite skeptical about the whole online business thing, but IT REALLY PAYS! smiley It can even pay more than working from 9 to 5. I can tell you this because I am a living proof of that. smiley

With having an online business, there's no need for you to leave home anymore or compromise your personal errands. Also, with having an online business. You can work anywhere in the globe. I'm not kidding smiley

If you want more details on how online business works, and how to make it work for you, send me an email request. I'll be glad to help you. smiley

Have a great day!

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Should Do When Starting An Online Business by noetic5: 7:41am On Apr 13, 2017
yet another crap
Re: 7 Things You Should Do When Starting An Online Business by sholatheblogger: 7:43am On Apr 13, 2017
love it people are now coming into the online business world if you need to know more about how to make money online,tech updates and blogging tips just click the link below

NoblesHub

to keep you updated
Re: 7 Things You Should Do When Starting An Online Business by lfleak: 7:48am On Apr 13, 2017
friimarket01:
every great on-line business starts with an idea. bring us your idea let us help you develop it, or come lets help you create one. check my signature for my contact. we have helped develop very great ideas into thriving on-line business and these people can still vouch for us.

this one will be doing competition with me.
overhypedsteve:
building an online marketing strategy is different from an of-line strategy, you will need the best advice you can get unless your expensive website will jist be sitting there, nobody will have its time.
keep deceiving yourself...
Re: 7 Things You Should Do When Starting An Online Business by Welcomme: 7:49am On Apr 13, 2017
anitasoll:
Want to start an online business today? I can give you free coaching and learning materials! Just send me an email request for more details.

Thanks and have a great day!
Adewalep4@gmail.com
Re: 7 Things You Should Do When Starting An Online Business by mavinhakeem(m): 7:55am On Apr 13, 2017
@OP, U forgot to add Prayer, cause thats the major key
Re: 7 Things You Should Do When Starting An Online Business by Sanuzi(m): 7:59am On Apr 13, 2017
Do you need any type of MLM(MULTI LEVEL MARKETING ) WEBSITE?
Do you need any type Of sport WEBSITE? e.g goal.com,naijabet,betnaija
Do you need any type of Forum WEBSITE? Nairaland
Do you need any type of School Portal WEBSITE?
Do you need any type of Eccommerce WEBSITE?

All @ affordable Price

We also train interested clients

Lets Talk:

Mobile/Whatsapp: 07038641600

BBM: 7B663F3A

admin@africanwebservice.com

We are expert in
*Blog Design,content management systems (CMS) such as
Webpagemaker,Frontpage, wordpress, joomla, drupal,
ecommerce platforms such as opencart, magento, Abante cart,WHMCS, prestashop.
*SEO,Responsive&Mobile Friendly Site Expert
*Blogs:Ghost,serendipity,eggblog
*Forums:SMF,Vanilla,phpBB,
*Polls and Survey Sites:Limesurvey,littlepoll,piwik
*Open Source Website Development & Customization / CMS Integration (Joomla, Drupal, wordpress, etc)
*E-commerce Website Development (magento, Opencart, OS Commerce, Zen Cart integration etc)
*SEO (Get Your Website Top Ranking in Google.
*Mobile Application (iOS & Android)
*An expert in CCTV,CAR Tracker&Biometric Services
Re: 7 Things You Should Do When Starting An Online Business by DoyenExchange: 8:05am On Apr 13, 2017
Good piece
Re: 7 Things You Should Do When Starting An Online Business by queenfav(f): 8:09am On Apr 13, 2017
Ladies.. Shop with Queenzhair today for exotic and durable weaves(Wholesale and retail)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Moves 10 Places Up In Global Competitiveness Index / Pls What Type Of Business Can I Do With 500,000 / Standard Bank Report Predicts Increase In Reserves Buoyed By Domestic Oil Refine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.