Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,274 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:17 AM

The Church, The Society And Wedding Ceremonies - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Church, The Society And Wedding Ceremonies (1017 Views)

10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church / Questions For Christians: Is the Catholic Church The First Church? / Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Church, The Society And Wedding Ceremonies by Nobody: 3:33pm On Aug 18, 2006
i was just wondering,at what era did the functions of a biblical priest include joining of couples for marriage. i need to know.
from my little knowledge of the bible, wedding ceremonies had nothing to do with the temple or the priests either in the old or new testament dispensations.i stand to be corrected.
Christ said, for this cause a man shall leave his parents and cleave to his wife. the two shall become one flesh. therefore what God has joined together, nobody should put asunder. he that findeth a wife findeth a good thing.
from the above it is clear that
a)it is God who joins the couple, not the priest or the society.
b)the society is only implored not to cause separation.
most of the conditions set for marriages in most institutions like the church,tradition,etc, more often than not, serves as a barrier and and thus, a separating factor to the prospective couples.
this explains the high rate of unmarried population in Nigeria today.
some of this conditions include, prohibitive cost of wedding, bride price, abstenence before marriage, when, in fact, premarital sex, and abortion (in order to be seen as abstenent) are the order of the day.
adults should be allowed to cleave together as one flesh, without the debilitating bottlenecks.

(1) (Reply)

Ramadan Surprise / Ramadan Kareem / Catholic Graduates Reunion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.