Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,719 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:53 PM

The First Class Student ( A Short Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The First Class Student ( A Short Story) (2739 Views)

The Life Of A Typical Nigerian Student - A SHORT STORY / Fate And Fortune(a Short Story) / Pleasure And Pain - A Short Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The First Class Student ( A Short Story) by Nobody: 11:51am On Jan 21, 2015
Daniel Ogooluwa looked at his wristwatch for the umpteenth time, and also he looked about him in the reception. His feet were dancing-or rather, he was shaking them- as he expected the secretary to call on him anytime.
He is a 24-year-old man, who had just graduated from the University Of Lagos with a first class in business admin..
He knew he would get the job, what else do the company want. He had made sure he was always the best at everything he did.
He made sure he got the best score in every course, and that was why he really cried the day he got lower than 70 in one of his courses.
Daniel checked the wristwatches again; it was a Rolex which was given to him as a gift by one of the ladies he taught a work helped her pass well in her exams while he was still in school.
'Daniel Oghoholuwa', the secretary called, pronouncing his surname 'Ogooluwa' with the accent of one from the eastern part of Nigeria.
Daniel stood up. She pointed the way to him, but he did not wait for her direction as he had started moving towards the interview room. He feared what he would meet. This was his first interview; the first since he was born.
He opened the door, and felt like running back when he saw the eyes of the people seated behind a big black desk. Four people- three men and a woman whose disposition can make any (emotionally) weak man pee in his pant- were there waiting for him to come inside.
He dragged his feet as he moved to the wooden chair that was placed at the side of the desk he was coming from.
Blood was draining away from his head and were moving slowly towards his legs. He needed to sit down, and so he sat down.
The interviewers looked at themselve in an amused way, and this made Daniel happy; he was happy that he had done things that had made his interviewers happy.
' Welcome', the woman started as the others seems to be short of words.
' Mr...' She picked up his CV,' Daniel Ogooluwa'.
' Thanks ma'.
' Please sell yourself'.
At first Daniel thought it was a compliment and was expecting her to continue what she was saying but she did not talk; instead she rested back in her chair, a pen dangling furiously in between her teeth.
Daniel blinked, and wondered what she meant. Sell? Sell?
Blood were flushing out of his face, and he couldn't breathe well neither could he stop blinking. He felt the cold air of the Air conditioner blowing his face, and he wasn't sure if he had not become permeable because he was shaking internally. His eyes roamed to the curtains of the windows and rested on their design, but he took them off again and stopped at head of one his interviewers and quickly surveyed the lenght of its baldness before returning to the woman.
' Sell... Sell myself?' Daniel asked pushing himself to the edge of the chair he was sitting on, and that one screeched.
' Yes... I said sell yourself', the strict voice of the woman affirmed.
Daniel swallowed hard as he nodded.
' I don't understand you'.
' Okay... What she was trying to say is that you should tell us about yourself- something like that' said a man whose tie refused to go lower than the third button of his shirt.
Daniel tried to say all he could- to impress them. Then
' What leadership position have you held before?' The woman asked again.
Daniel did not know when he rested his back on the arm chair and sighed.
' None...ma'.
They asked other questions, and told him they would get back to him; however, he did not receive any call from them.
Later, he went to other interviews but he still was not called, and this made him wonder what was wrong; in fact, at one of such interviews, he misplaced his phone which he forgot on the seat he sat on at the reception where he thought for a long time and tried to decipher the reason behind his numerous failure.
At this trying time, Daniel recalled those days he detested politics;leadership; all religion and the rest, now he is in for it.
He had limited Education to just studying work alone, now he had to face the consequence. He did not have all the required skills to be a worker.
Three years later, he got a job at a small pure water company and from there he started his education.
*The End*

1 Like

Re: The First Class Student ( A Short Story) by johnwizey: 12:08pm On Jan 21, 2015
Following bumper to bumper
Re: The First Class Student ( A Short Story) by Nobody: 12:12pm On Jan 21, 2015
johnwizey:
Following bumper to bumper
Oga mi sir...
that is the end..
I have passed the message I needed to pass.
Re: The First Class Student ( A Short Story) by johnwizey: 12:21pm On Jan 21, 2015
Divepen:

Oga mi sir...
that is the end..
I have passed the message I needed to pass.
Yes boss. More ink to your pen
Re: The First Class Student ( A Short Story) by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jan 21, 2015
johnwizey:
Yes boss. More ink to your pen
Thankx
Re: The First Class Student ( A Short Story) by tattesco(m): 2:02pm On Jan 21, 2015
Very interesting. Thanks for the piece of advice
Re: The First Class Student ( A Short Story) by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jan 21, 2015
tattesco:
Very interesting. Thanks for the piece of advice
You are welcome baba... What are we all here for? We are here to help ourselves
Re: The First Class Student ( A Short Story) by slap1(m): 9:23pm On Jan 21, 2015
Nice. But you need to pay attention to details: sequence of tenses, omission of articles, concord, punctuation, and compactness of sentences. Good work. No be to graduate with first class be the koko!
Re: The First Class Student ( A Short Story) by tattesco(m): 9:37pm On Jan 21, 2015
slap1:
Nice. But you need to pay attention to details: sequence of tenses, omission of articles, concord, punctuation, and compactness of sentences. Good work. No be to graduate with first class be the koko!
nice. Pls read my own story via my signature
Re: The First Class Student ( A Short Story) by Nobody: 9:38pm On Jan 21, 2015
slap1:
Thanks, Let me start work on them
Re: The First Class Student ( A Short Story) by slap1(m): 10:09pm On Jan 21, 2015
tattesco:
nice. Pls read my own story via my signature
I've read the bit I could. You're doing good. Note that full stops, exclamation/question marks and commas come before the closing quotation marks, not after.

So you should punctuate like this " A b c,?!." and not "Abc"?!. as I've observed in your writing. Keep it up!
Re: The First Class Student ( A Short Story) by tattesco(m): 5:36am On Jan 22, 2015
slap1:
I've read the bit I could. You're doing good. Note that full stops, exclamation/question marks and commas come before the closing quotation marks, not after.

So you should punctuate like this " A b c,?!." and not "Abc"?!. as I've observed in your writing. Keep it up!
correction noted. E se o. That is my first ever story.

(1) (Reply)

The Ruthless Underagent / Itan Sebi Otimo / Holy Sex: A Nigerian Church Erotica By Obinna Udenwe Is Set To Hit Okadabooks St

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.