Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,098 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:45 AM

Obi Mikel Gets New 5-yr £120,000-a-week Deal - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Obi Mikel Gets New 5-yr £120,000-a-week Deal (38235 Views)

Rate Mikel Obi's Performance In The Champions League Final / Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? / Chelsea Midfielder Obi Mikel Stands Alone As Best Passer In Country (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obi Mikel Gets New 5-yr £120,000-a-week Deal by earTHMama: 6:33pm On Dec 22, 2008
Mikel enjoys Chelsea midfield pressure - Gets new 5-yr £120,000-a-week deal

NIGERIAN international, John Mikel Obi insists he is relishing the pressure of anchoring Chelsea’s midfield as the Blues look to continue their per cent away record at the expense of Everton today.

Monday, December 22, 2008

Chelsea’s record-breaking away run is in stark contrast to its form at Stamford Bridge.

Mikel

Luiz Felipe Scolari’s side has dropped 14 points at home so far this season - suffering defeats against Liverpool and Arsenal and draws against West Ham, Tottenham, Manchester United and Newcastle.

Scolari points to injuries and suspensions as one of the main reasons for the Blues’ poor displays at home.

The loss of powerhouse midfielder Michael Essien with a serious knee injury has certainly been a factor.

But the man handed the role of replacing him has risen to the challenge in style and Mikel has cemented his place under the Brazilian coach.

The Nigerian midfielder is now determined to repay Scolari’s faith in him by helping the club to win some silverware this season.

“The coach said to me ‘you are this team - when you don’t play well, the team doesn’t play well’,” said Mikel.

“So I felt big, big pressure after that but it means I go out there to make sure the team plays well and wins.

“It puts pressure on me but good pressure because I think it shows he’s pleased with me and thinks I can live up to the task.

“All I have to do is keep going and keep doing the right things and at the end of the season, I can look back and say ‘I didn’t disappoint him’.

“Football is all about belief and I think Scolari has belief in me.” Meanwhile, Chelsea has offered Mikel parity with the club’s top earners and offered the Nigerian midfielder a new five-year contract worth £120,000.

The Nigerian currently earns £80,000-a-week but the increase will put him on a par with skipper John Terry, Frank Lampard and Michael Ballack, according to The People.

Mikel has produced a string of impressive performances for Luiz Felipe Scolari’s side in the absence of the injured Michael Essien and his reward is tying him to a long-term deal at Stamford Bridge.

http://odili.net/news/source/2008/dec/22/600.html
Re: Obi Mikel Gets New 5-yr £120,000-a-week Deal by lailai2(m): 10:14pm On Dec 22, 2008
if the rumour happens to be true, then chelsea have officially destroyed football
Re: Obi Mikel Gets New 5-yr £120,000-a-week Deal by tosinadeda: 10:33pm On Dec 22, 2008
Because a black gets 120k a week?
Plsss jare
tel me is ballack 120k a week?
Was sheva worth all the 130k he was getn at chelsea?
Chelsea without mikel this season is nothn
Re: Obi Mikel Gets New 5-yr £120,000-a-week Deal by lailai2(m): 10:36pm On Dec 22, 2008
tosinadeda:

Plsss jare
Chelsea without mikel this season is nothn

dont worry, i'm sure i'm not on the same page witchu
Re: Obi Mikel Gets New 5-yr £120,000-a-week Deal by chyk91(m): 12:51am On Dec 23, 2008
is this true.
Re: Obi Mikel Gets New 5-yr £120,000-a-week Deal by Jascobee: 7:46am On Dec 23, 2008
waste of resources, ROMAN would soon leave chelski and i would see which club will buy mikel and others.Overrated players, this guy is aint worth more than 40,000pounds because he's a shadow of his former form.i personnaly rate ANDERSON,FABREGAS more than him.
Re: Obi Mikel Gets New 5-yr £120,000-a-week Deal by FBS: 10:16am On Dec 23, 2008
Jascobee:

waste of resources, ROMAN would soon leave chelski and i would see which club will buy mikel and others.Overrated players, this guy is aint worth more than 40,000pounds because he's a shadow of his former form.i personnaly rate ANDERSON,FABREGAS more than him.
what you rate of think of him is not what he is, cool down, u hia?
the guy is good and we all know it. No Mikel no Chelsea this season , but it will be better for him to play for a attacking role. That is where he belongs.
Re: Obi Mikel Gets New 5-yr £120,000-a-week Deal by bgees(m): 2:19pm On Dec 23, 2008
if this is true. then:

his big head will get bigger and he will be less patriotic.
Re: Obi Mikel Gets New 5-yr £120,000-a-week Deal by earTHMama: 6:18pm On Dec 23, 2008
if this is true. then:

his big head will get bigger and he will be less patriotic.
grin grin
Re: Obi Mikel Gets New 5-yr £120,000-a-week Deal by earTHMama: 6:19pm On Dec 23, 2008

Why are you not a team manager yet if you can rate people offhand so quickly?
Re: Obi Mikel Gets New 5-yr £120,000-a-week Deal by lancevader(m): 6:54pm On Dec 23, 2008
Kai imagine.mikel.kai dat smal boi dae enjoy o!
Re: Obi Mikel Gets New 5-yr £120,000-a-week Deal by lancevader(m): 6:55pm On Dec 23, 2008
Kai imagine.mikel.kai dat smal boi dae enjoy o!
Re: Obi Mikel Gets New 5-yr £120,000-a-week Deal by earTHMama: 10:27pm On Dec 23, 2008

Kai imagine.mikel.kai that smal boi dae enjoy o!

Big man, big wahala.
Re: Obi Mikel Gets New 5-yr £120,000-a-week Deal by AloyEmeka9: 2:12am On Dec 24, 2008

Plsss jare
Chelsea without mikel this season is not

It's black people that devalue themselves by their words.
Re: Obi Mikel Gets New 5-yr £120,000-a-week Deal by chidichris(m): 12:04pm On Dec 24, 2008
i know it and am not surprised.
mikel, God has blessed u and no man can course you not even some stupid envious nigerians who has never believed that any good thing can come out of babylon.
from the first day critics has been asking, where is he going to play in chelsea? who will he bench in chelsea? the answers to these questions have finally come. the situation now is why paying him that much? if the coach and western football analysts have confirmed mikel worthy and the biased idiots here are saying no, my prayers to u is that u will not see better things for your life.
the secret of recieving good things is appreciating others who have been blessed.
mikel is the nigerian player of the moment and no matter how u feel about it, the boy don HAMMER.
Re: Obi Mikel Gets New 5-yr £120,000-a-week Deal by jhendor(m): 12:29pm On Dec 27, 2008
John Obi Mikel nicknamed 'Mikele' has fitted in fantastically in the holding position.
I would say the player is very versatile. He used to be an attacking midfielder until he was converted by former Chelsea boss, Jose Mourinho.
He however fitted easily into his new position though he initially had some few flaws
He is very good now and i think he deserves the wage increase. Yeah, i really think so (at least for now he is better than Ballack who receives higher)
Re: Obi Mikel Gets New 5-yr £120,000-a-week Deal by chidichris(m): 2:38pm On Jan 06, 2009
micheal own is earning 120k at new castle and he is not doing anything. with the work mikel is doing at chelsea, i will like them to make it 150k.
mikel don hammer oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Re: Obi Mikel Gets New 5-yr £120,000-a-week Deal by earTHMama: 6:29am On Jan 07, 2009
John Obi Mikel nicknamed 'Mikele' has fitted in fantastically in the holding position.
I would say the player is very versatile. He used to be an attacking midfielder until he was converted by former Chelsea boss, Jose Mourinho.
He however fitted easily into his new position though he initially had some few flaws
He is very good now and i think he deserves the wage increase. Yeah, i really think so (at least for now he is better than Ballack who receives higher)

All these praises na waaaah. Was it not the same Nigerians that said his career is doomed when he signed for chelsea FC?. sycophancy na bad thing ooo.
Re: Obi Mikel Gets New 5-yr £120,000-a-week Deal by rasputinn(m): 7:24am On Jan 07, 2009
:-x :-x :-x
Re: Obi Mikel Gets New 5-yr £120,000-a-week Deal by AloyEmeka9: 4:46am On Jan 09, 2009
Mikel don hammer. grin grin grin
Re: Obi Mikel Gets New 5-yr £120,000-a-week Deal by omodoagba(m): 7:09pm On Feb 15, 2011
na lie jor, he no dey collect reach even 70k
Re: Obi Mikel Gets New 5-yr £120,000-a-week Deal by 1025: 10:07pm On Feb 16, 2011
na lie jor, he no dey collect reach even 70k
@omodoagba,
uncle, even if na 10k, do u have it? 10k by one month is equal to 40k and u and i know the naira worth of 40k in elizerbeth money.uncle no be small kishi be that oooooooooooooooooooo

(1) (Reply)

Crystal Palace Vs Chelsea (2 - 1) On 14th October 2017 / UEFA Awards Ceremony Holds Today. See Full List Of Nominees Here / RB Leipzig Vs PSG :UCL (0 - 3) On 18 August 2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.