Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,889 members, 7,956,351 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 10:27 AM

Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? (11767 Views)

Roberto Di Matteo For Valencia Job? / Chelseafc Sacks Manager Roberto Di Matteo / Roberto Di Matteo Sacked (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by Nobody: 10:25pm On May 11, 2012
In his recent interview with goal.com, Mikel Obi discloses that he had to configure his game in other to suit the premier league standard since he joined Chelsea in 2006 under Jose Mourinho, who converted him from an offensive midfielder to a holding one prior to Claude Makalele’s departure. Since Roberto Di Matteo taking over at Chelsea with the recent playing formation, he now has the freedom to display his natural talent. grin

In the early years, the Nigerian player got a raft of red cards for reckless tackles but in the June issue of Chelsea FC magazine, Obi reveals that he has had to grow up quickly. “Growing up, 4-4-2 was the standard for me. Then I came into the team at Chelsea and switched to a holding role. If I’m the only deep midfielder, it means I tend to play with more discipline,” Obi said in the magazine. “I need to be the one to keep the shape of the team, to be the one man holding, and every team needs that.

Now Obi said his role is more flexible as Chelsea have started playing with two defensive midfielders – Frank Lampard and Obi, and this change has given the Nigerian more freedom to explore his creative tendencies. “It depends on what the manager wants you to do and what he gives you permission to do.

I’ve been here six years and in that time I have had managers who said, “Don’t even try it,” Obi continued. “But Robbie [Roberto Di Matteo] has encouraged it, and why not? I try to help the team and I try to show what I can do when I have the ball as well. I try to create and make the team play, to be a little bit more offensive, not only disciplined and defensive.’
Source:=> http://www.abclatestnews.net/2012/05/obi-mikel-becoming-better-player-under.html

5 Likes

Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by yusufbaba(m): 6:02pm On May 12, 2012
Di matteo is a great leader nd undrstnd d plyaz that d catalyst 4 chealsea,s recnt perfmance
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by Nobody: 9:47pm On May 12, 2012
anthony obi is the former governor of osun state...if you ask me, i'll say he's a good man

4 Likes

Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by Nobody: 9:53pm On May 12, 2012
who cares? undecided undecided . . .

1 Like

Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by alfablondy: 9:55pm On May 12, 2012
ondo_boi: anthony obi is the former governor of osun state...if you ask me, i'll say he's a good man
Are you sleeping or what? grin grin grin
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by Nobody: 9:56pm On May 12, 2012
ondo_boi: anthony obi is the former governor of osun state...if you ask me, i'll say he's a good man

and aregbesola obi was the former governor of imo state. . . cheesy

1 Like

Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by sylve11: 9:58pm On May 12, 2012

lol grin grin cool
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by PurestBoy(m): 9:58pm On May 12, 2012

Drunkard
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by freecocoa(f): 10:00pm On May 12, 2012
Now this is hilarious grin grin grin,you sure must be sleeping and talking at the same time.
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by Nobody: 10:01pm On May 12, 2012
I heard Mikel Obi eats Breakfast, Lunch and Supper. Is this not news that can merit front page also ?
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by Digriz(m): 10:01pm On May 12, 2012
he's nt the only Nigeria player to talk about,what abt victor moses and osaze and numerous others in other leagues.WTF!
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by philip0906(m): 10:06pm On May 12, 2012
^^
sorry which club d'u support? u sound like a manu fan
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by begwong: 10:12pm On May 12, 2012
Mods,how does a gaddam post like this made front page?
pls make this to d front burner ''is ronaldo from calabar''
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by opokonwa(m): 10:12pm On May 12, 2012
He's simply having a more consistent role.
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by opokonwa(m): 10:17pm On May 12, 2012
Now having read through all the posts in this thread, I can't help laughing out loud! grin
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by OdenigboAroli(m): 10:18pm On May 12, 2012

I laughed till i got into my car and am still laughing grin grin grin. That was epic,dude!

2 Likes

Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by Nobody: 10:27pm On May 12, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

I laughed till i got into my car and am still laughing grin grin grin. That was epic,dude!
So you have a car, whats your registration number sir ?
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by Digriz(m): 10:30pm On May 12, 2012
philip0906: ^^
sorry which club d'u support? u sound like a manu fan
kwara united
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by ZUBY77(m): 10:32pm On May 12, 2012
opokonwa: He's simply having a more consistent role.

Exactly! I was going to say that.
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by dnative(m): 10:33pm On May 12, 2012

Naaairaland! Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse - and then this .
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by greall1: 10:37pm On May 12, 2012
U are not serious lolz what do u mean by this
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by greall1: 10:42pm On May 12, 2012
People in the ous turn tins upside down. I heard okocha sign for arsnal lolz
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by opokonwa(m): 10:52pm On May 12, 2012
I am still laughing grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by Chillext(m): 10:56pm On May 12, 2012
Bleep mikel........ 6 seasons no goal, not even goal attempt. Mtcheeeewww
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by poj(m): 10:57pm On May 12, 2012
Cant just stop laughing. Nairalanders; vry unprdctabu set of people.
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by tainot2002(m): 11:04pm On May 12, 2012
grin grinThread moved to recycle Bin
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by Tos87(m): 11:17pm On May 12, 2012
You outta space imp.
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by MAssMoneIt: 11:20pm On May 12, 2012
tainot2002: grin grinThread moved to recycle Bin
And Thread Restored !
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by WhoIGoAsk: 11:24pm On May 12, 2012
Mikel Obi was once at the same level with lionel messi. Our choices today are really important for tomorrow

1 Like

Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by Alumnus: 11:31pm On May 12, 2012

This guy should moderate the jokes section. hope I'v not mistyped cos of lafta? grin grin
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by jumobi1(m): 11:41pm On May 12, 2012
Who I Go Ask?:
Mikel Obi was once at the same level with lionel messi. Our choices today are really important for tomorrow
Except one was really under 18 and nowhere near his peak and the other was probably over 20 and near his peak.
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by MeGaStReEt: 11:42pm On May 12, 2012
Who I Go Ask?:

Wrong! He was never on the same level with Lionel Messi at club level. While Mikel played in backwater league in Oslo, Messi was already flexing muscles with world great footballers.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Real Madrid Vs Galatasaray : UCL (3 - 0) On 3rd April 2013 / 2007 Champions League Quarter Finals / Southampton Vs Manchester United (2 - 3) On 2nd September 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.