Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,107 members, 7,825,500 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 04:21 PM

The Giant Scaly Fish That Stephanie Okereke Saw - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / The Giant Scaly Fish That Stephanie Okereke Saw (42043 Views)

See What I Saw In A Tin Tomato! We Just Need To Be Careful / See The Fish That Floated To The Shore In Escravos / Giant Bush Rat That Was Killed At My Workplace :PHOTOS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Giant Scaly Fish That Stephanie Okereke Saw by nickxtra(m): 5:37pm On Jan 23, 2015
How does this make front page?
Re: The Giant Scaly Fish That Stephanie Okereke Saw by Pearlyakin(m): 5:42pm On Jan 23, 2015
Kachisbarbie:
This is that woman, that poured acid on her rival's face , then jumped into River Niger.

She af turn to Eja-Nla (Big Fish) undecided

Delicacy? Na to just fry am chop...with orijin grin
It isn't that big, I was expecting to see a whale-sized fish. undecided
Dont tell me dat yu can drink Orijin.
Re: The Giant Scaly Fish That Stephanie Okereke Saw by ellahzy(f): 5:43pm On Jan 23, 2015
and so F what!!

How does it bring back the missing girls ??
Re: The Giant Scaly Fish That Stephanie Okereke Saw by FairDude(m): 5:55pm On Jan 23, 2015
Kachisbarbie:
This is that woman, that poured acid on her rival's face , then jumped into River Niger.

Re: The Giant Scaly Fish That Stephanie Okereke Saw by sltn(m): 5:55pm On Jan 23, 2015
remsonik:
Yummy.. shocked....barbecued fish with cucumbers and some fruit salad, eaten by the beach or pool grin
you be thief
Re: The Giant Scaly Fish That Stephanie Okereke Saw by FairDude(m): 5:56pm On Jan 23, 2015
Kachisbarbie:

Hahahahahaha Nice one. But the fish is not too big nw. As for the delicacy, steaming and garnishing with crazy spices and sliced onions sha
Re: The Giant Scaly Fish That Stephanie Okereke Saw by veave(f): 5:58pm On Jan 23, 2015
Poison. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

If i dare taste as small as a small chunk of this? Na sorry go be my second name. Whole body be covered like that of a fish... abego!!!
Re: The Giant Scaly Fish That Stephanie Okereke Saw by Babygal4eva(f): 7:13pm On Jan 23, 2015
sometimes I wonder who is in charge of the front page undecided undecided
Re: The Giant Scaly Fish That Stephanie Okereke Saw by Olufemiolaolu(m): 7:25pm On Jan 23, 2015
Kachisbarbie:

Enough orijin dey ur system grin
Re: The Giant Scaly Fish That Stephanie Okereke Saw by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jan 23, 2015
remsonik:
Yummy.. shocked....barbecued fish with cucumbers and some fruit salad, eaten by the beach or pool grin
oni jeku je
Re: The Giant Scaly Fish That Stephanie Okereke Saw by remsonik(f): 7:39pm On Jan 23, 2015
duduhemit36:

oni jeku je
Its sweet o
Re: The Giant Scaly Fish That Stephanie Okereke Saw by Tinyemeka(m): 8:05pm On Jan 23, 2015
pekeyim:
This na Photoshop see d black hand holding the fish from under dey like charcoal, while the other one is normal.
There are bigger fishes. You could Google the Argungu fishing festival.
Re: The Giant Scaly Fish That Stephanie Okereke Saw by chichichilolo1(f): 8:09pm On Jan 23, 2015
Seun:
If I caught this kind of fish, I would fry it and eat it every day morning, afternoon, and night, until it's finished. Fried fish and iced water.
I would also grind the bones, intestines, skin, eggs, and other yucky parts that I can't eat, and mix them with rice or couscous for my dog.
You must be an economist grin
Seun:
If I caught this kind of fish, I would fry it and eat it every day morning, afternoon, and night, until it's finished. Fried fish and iced water.
I would also grind the bones, intestines, skin, eggs, and other yucky parts that I can't eat, and mix them with rice or couscous for my dog.
You must be an economist

1 Like

Re: The Giant Scaly Fish That Stephanie Okereke Saw by zingobaby: 8:17pm On Jan 23, 2015
This fish is called red snaper
Re: The Giant Scaly Fish That Stephanie Okereke Saw by ManTiger(m): 8:24pm On Jan 23, 2015
Bony fish, not my type.
Re: The Giant Scaly Fish That Stephanie Okereke Saw by ManTiger(m): 8:30pm On Jan 23, 2015
Seun:
Stephanie Okereke posted the following picture of men holding a giant scaly fish on Instagram recently.

She said, "Saw this humongous fish! Guess it will take like a month to finish."

http://instagram.com/p/yMmOlAGOTM/

Then she asked, "what delicacies do you think we can make with this?"
Someone is competing with Oga Titus o!
Re: The Giant Scaly Fish That Stephanie Okereke Saw by Bamz(m): 8:53pm On Jan 23, 2015
remsonik:

You sound like my next. wink
Re: The Giant Scaly Fish That Stephanie Okereke Saw by remsonik(f): 8:57pm On Jan 23, 2015
Bamz:

You sound like my next. wink

Lol
Re: The Giant Scaly Fish That Stephanie Okereke Saw by coolk(m): 8:59pm On Jan 23, 2015
Kachisbarbie:

ehnehn
No be only tilapia, na prawn tongue

Bros he is kinda correct!!!
From my pre-observation it is a Lates Niloticus, also called Nile perch. I might be wrong though...
Re: The Giant Scaly Fish That Stephanie Okereke Saw by delpee(f): 9:02pm On Jan 23, 2015
Big fishes are available in village markets along Niger and Kaduna rivers in Kwara and Niger states. Too far from Lagos undecided
Re: The Giant Scaly Fish That Stephanie Okereke Saw by Bamz(m): 9:03pm On Jan 23, 2015
remsonik:

Lol

Is your name Faith?
Cause you may just be the substance of things I’ve hoped for. wink
Re: The Giant Scaly Fish That Stephanie Okereke Saw by remsonik(f): 9:15pm On Jan 23, 2015
Bamz:

Is your name Faith?
Cause you may just be the substance of things I’ve hoped for. wink
My name isn't faith o
Re: The Giant Scaly Fish That Stephanie Okereke Saw by ItsMeAboki(m): 9:27pm On Jan 23, 2015
Lagusta:
Looks like a giant tilapia fish....

Yummy!!!!!

No its not tilapia but the Nile Perch, scientific name: Lates Niloticus; its one of the biggest freshwater fish local to many rivers and lakes in Africa including many waterways in northern Nigeria.

It is a predatory fish, preying on other fish, making it a good game fish for sporting anglers because it is a good fighter, requiring adept skills to be hooked and landed using rod and reel (i.e. fishing oyinbo style).

It can grow to much bigger size (larger than a grown adult) as shown in the attached photograph and such sizes had been caught with bare hands by our local fishermen, during the once very popular biannual Argungun fishing festival (Argungu is a small historic fishing town in now Kebbi State in northern Nigeria).

Unfortunately, the festival doesn't hold as frequent as before and with time had also lost its cultural value and importance (google for more information).

The fish is arguably the most delicious and most valued among our local freshwater fish, because it has very little bone apart from the central (main) bone and the ones in its fins (dorsal, lateral and ventral) otherwise the flesh is free of bone and indeed very tasty - in fact just too yummy.

Its local Hausa name is Giwan Ruwa, meaning elephant of the water, so if anyone of you guys should ever venture to the north (in particular Hausaland) and wants to order or buy this fish in the local lingo - well you now know what to say.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Giant Scaly Fish That Stephanie Okereke Saw by Jsmile(m): 9:47pm On Jan 23, 2015
This Fish is small compared to what I have seen in cross river
Re: The Giant Scaly Fish That Stephanie Okereke Saw by jaydee87(m): 11:39pm On Jan 23, 2015
remsonik:
uhm see ur mouth, u like life...
Re: The Giant Scaly Fish That Stephanie Okereke Saw by oharisibliss: 3:48am On Jan 24, 2015
Good day Mr. Seun, I already sent you an E-mail as you requested for ads placement after payment, kindly reply my mail and credit my account
Thanks.
Re: The Giant Scaly Fish That Stephanie Okereke Saw by Prodeegee(m): 6:06am On Jan 24, 2015
Blackchampion:
Picture of ur dog or i dnt bliv u hv 1

hhahahaa u challenging almighty seun....your days on nairaland are numbered
Re: The Giant Scaly Fish That Stephanie Okereke Saw by Sammyblaq(m): 8:26am On Jan 24, 2015
Kachisbarbie:

lols.
Are you an "Eleja" ?
How come you know so much about fishes? Hahahaha
I think it's a croacker....na think o grin
Anytyn wey en wan be...na for belly en go end.
so Like ur Dp much.
Re: The Giant Scaly Fish That Stephanie Okereke Saw by aquabeing: 8:37pm On Jan 24, 2015
Looks like Lates niloticus
Re: The Giant Scaly Fish That Stephanie Okereke Saw by EfemenaXY: 2:11pm On Jan 25, 2015
Seun:
Stephanie Okereke posted the following picture of men holding a giant scaly fish on Instagram recently.

She said, "Saw this humongous fish! Guess it will take like a month to finish."

http://instagram.com/p/yMmOlAGOTM/

Then she asked, "what delicacies do you think we can make with this?"

That fish looks really tasty and I can think of several things to cook with it.

I wonder how much it would sell for at your average Naija market?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

See The African Civet My Dad Bought Today / Coke Vs Pepsi: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photo) / Thai People Eating A Black Man.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.