Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,171 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:26 AM

7 Better Ways To Answer "What Do You Do?" By Amanda Berlin - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 7 Better Ways To Answer "What Do You Do?" By Amanda Berlin (655 Views)

How To Answer “what Is Your Greatest Weakness?” / 4 Better Ways To Answer "Why Are You Leaving Your Job?" / The Best Way To Answer "What's Your Biggest Weakness?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

7 Better Ways To Answer "What Do You Do?" By Amanda Berlin by opportuniti(m): 7:29pm On Jan 25, 2015
The question “What do you do?” has basically become synonymous with “Who are you?” There’s a reason it almost always follows “What’s your name?” in polite conversation: It’s helpful. It’s get-to-know-you shorthand. The one-word answer to “what do you do?” lets people categorize us and gives them a snapshot of what we do or who we are.

But there’s also a dark underbelly to introducing ourselves with this kind of shorthand: When labels go wrong, they can lead to stereotypes. Perception becomes more about the experiences accumulated by the people you’re talking to than anything that they may or may not know about you, personally.

For example:

You Say: I’m in sales.
They Think: You’re a pushy, sweet-talking charmer.

You Say: I’m a lawyer.
They Think: You’re the argumentative type.

You Say: I’m an accountant.
They Think: You’re a numbers geek.

Maybe I’m being a little harsh, but you get the picture; odds are, whatever quick description you’ve used in the past barely does what you do—or who you are—any justice. But everywhere from networking events to family gatherings, this question is going to live on. So we need to find a way to answer it so it’s an energizing conversation starter, instead of a fast track to the pigeon-hole.

Here are seven ways to reframe this common question to help you come up with a more compelling answer. Experiment with different ones during conversations in the next couple weeks to see which allows you to represent yourself the best and build more meaningful relationships.

1. Talk About How You Help People

2. Tell an Anecdote About Your Job

3. Make it a Teachable Moment

4. Be Vulnerable

5. Be Relevant

6. Let Your Freak Flag Fly

7. Be Self-Promotional

So, don’t be shy. You’re actually doing everyone a favor by being honest about what you’re good at and what lights you up. And you can plainly see how much better that is than saying “I’m an accountant” the next time someone asks.

“What do you do?” may forever be synonymous with “Who are you?” but with one of these alternative answers, you have a say in who you get to be in the mind of the person you’re talking with.

click here to read: http://opportuniti.org/7-better-ways-to-answer-what-do-you-do-by-amanda-berlin/

(1) (Reply)

Working In A Filling Station(petrol, Gasoline, Dpk) / Should I Sell My Body For Promotion? / Shell Nigeria Latest Job Openings - 3 Positions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.