Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,378 members, 7,819,376 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:06 PM

You Probably Couldn’t Survive In Oymyakon, The World’s Coldest City. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / You Probably Couldn’t Survive In Oymyakon, The World’s Coldest City. (4897 Views)

 7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos / Antarctica: A Trip To The Coldest, Windiest, And Driest Continent On The Planet. / Photographer Travels From Yakutsk To Oymyakon, The Coldest Village On Earth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

You Probably Couldn’t Survive In Oymyakon, The World’s Coldest City. by 20bc(m): 7:55am On Jan 27, 2015
As New England braces for what many have
called a “historic snowstorm”, one city in
particular has it even worse, and just about
every single day. People in Oymyakon, Russia
face frigid temperatures like no other place
on Earth. Located just a few hundred miles
from the Arctic Circle, Oymyakon is the
world’s coldest permanently settled area,
nestled deep in the Russian tundra.
New Zealand photographer Amos Chapple
recently made an expedition to the region to
document the daily life of its inhabitants.
Chapple found that the residents of Yakutsk,
the nearest city in the region, were
surprisingly wealthy and described the city
as cosmopolitan. The affluence comes from
the plentiful resources around Yakutsk
including oil, gas, and diamonds. But is it
worth it?
The photos below document the obstacles of
life in such bitter conditions (the average
January temperature is a bitter -34
°Fahrenheit) as well as the strength and
determination of the people who live there.
Re: You Probably Couldn’t Survive In Oymyakon, The World’s Coldest City. by 20bc(m): 7:58am On Jan 27, 2015
Working two weeks on and two weeks off,
employees of isolated regional 24-hour gas
stations are vital to ensure that the economy
can keep running in spite of inclement
conditions.

2 Statues of soldiers stand frozen in a park
dedicated to the fallen of World War II.

3 It isn’t only people who have to deal with the
dangerous conditions; a dog curls up to sleep
and keep warm in the carpark outside of Café
Cuba.
Constructed by gulagged prison workers and
known as the “Road of Bones”, Russia’s
Kolyma Highway is the only major land route
into or out of Yakutsk.

Re: You Probably Couldn’t Survive In Oymyakon, The World’s Coldest City. by 20bc(m): 8:05am On Jan 27, 2015
1 One of the first governors of Yakutia, this bust
of Ivan Kraft stands covered in ice for the
majority of the year.

2 Ice-covered houses like the one shown here
are common sights in the middle of Yakutsk.

3 There is no need for refrigeration at the
public market; the frigid air ensures that the
fish as well as the rabbit stay frozen and fresh
until they can be sold.

4 On a day of -63 °F, a woman covers her face
with her mitten to protect it from the
dangerous cold. In the background a statue of
former Vladimir Lenin can be seen.

Re: You Probably Couldn’t Survive In Oymyakon, The World’s Coldest City. by tdayof(m): 8:13am On Jan 27, 2015
shocked
Re: You Probably Couldn’t Survive In Oymyakon, The World’s Coldest City. by yungchop: 3:25am On Jan 28, 2015
Front page material
Re: You Probably Couldn’t Survive In Oymyakon, The World’s Coldest City. by good4all: 12:47am On Jan 29, 2015
Front page pls
Re: You Probably Couldn’t Survive In Oymyakon, The World’s Coldest City. by guttentag(m): 4:28pm On Jan 29, 2015
Those fish no need fringe again
Re: You Probably Couldn’t Survive In Oymyakon, The World’s Coldest City. by symbian03(m): 5:15pm On Jan 30, 2015
oh wowww! No need for a refrigerator in this town.
Re: You Probably Couldn’t Survive In Oymyakon, The World’s Coldest City. by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jan 30, 2015
INCREDIBLE!!!!! N Nigerians would witness small hamartan n be shivering...smh
Re: You Probably Couldn’t Survive In Oymyakon, The World’s Coldest City. by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jan 30, 2015
wow
Re: You Probably Couldn’t Survive In Oymyakon, The World’s Coldest City. by mercielizzie(f): 10:30pm On Jan 30, 2015
God is wonderful!
Re: You Probably Couldn’t Survive In Oymyakon, The World’s Coldest City. by 20bc(m): 12:30pm On Jan 31, 2015
yungchop:
Front page material

but due to gross injustice going it won't even make trending
Re: You Probably Couldn’t Survive In Oymyakon, The World’s Coldest City. by Sard(m): 7:13am On Feb 02, 2015
There are great articles in this travel section, but they are likely not going to make the FP. The supermod will prefer to put irrelevant celebrity and romance threads on the FP. SMH
@op.. This kind condition na wahala o. Survival here will be "freezingly' hard..

1 Like

Re: You Probably Couldn’t Survive In Oymyakon, The World’s Coldest City. by Nobody: 9:05am On Feb 02, 2015
Oymyakon(Russian) is a rural locality in Oymyakonsky District of the Sakha Republic,Russia. Its located along the Indigirka River, 30 kilometers (19 mi) northwest of Tomtoron the Kolyma Highway...

1. Location.

2. Alone in the ice: A lone man walks across a courtyard.

3. Treacherous drive: A car drives through the snow at night near Vostochnaya meteorological station where locals are said to leave their cars running all day to keep generating heat for fear of not being able to restart them.

4. A minibus drives along an ice road across the Lena River where there is weak sunlight for just three hours each day in winter.

Re: You Probably Couldn’t Survive In Oymyakon, The World’s Coldest City. by 20bc(m): 12:24am On Feb 03, 2015
Sard:
There are great articles in this travel section, but they are likely not going to make the FP. The supermod will prefer to put irrelevant celebrity and romance threads on the FP. SMH
@op.. This kind condition na wahala o. Survival here will be "freezingly' hard..
that's why vodka day sell well well. And they consider beer as nonalcoholic drink.
Re: You Probably Couldn’t Survive In Oymyakon, The World’s Coldest City. by zeezahbee(f): 2:06am On Feb 03, 2015
Wow, I will stop complaining then. This one is gross
Re: You Probably Couldn’t Survive In Oymyakon, The World’s Coldest City. by akinsadeez(m): 2:28am On Feb 03, 2015
wow. I thought Siberia was actually the coldest region/state in Russia. Anytime I have read about Siberia it is always described as an extremely cold and bleak place. Infact during the old soviet regime, civil servants and soldiers used to be sent to Siberia as punishment. It was like being sent to a freezing hell.

I am now surprised reading about this oymyakon. Does that mean it is colder than Siberia? Well I have learnt something new.
Re: You Probably Couldn’t Survive In Oymyakon, The World’s Coldest City. by moneybag100: 9:08am On Feb 03, 2015
akinsadeez:
wow. I thought Siberia was actually the coldest region/state in Russia. Anytime I have read about Siberia it is always described as an extremely cold and bleak place. Infact during the old soviet regime, civil servants and soldiers used to be sent to Siberia as punishment. It was like being sent to a freezing hell.

I am now surprised reading about this oymyakon. Does that mean it is colder than Siberia? Well I have learnt something new.
You are still right because oymyakon is in northeast
Siberia.
Re: You Probably Couldn’t Survive In Oymyakon, The World’s Coldest City. by Nobody: 9:25am On Feb 03, 2015
I posted on this thread yesterday, i just made a simple contribution, i was banned immediately, by this morning after my release, the post has been removed....
Why

justwise

Daily problems that come with living in Oymyakon include pen ink freezing, glasses freezing to people's faces and batteries losing power.Locals are said to leave their cars running all day for fear of not being able to restart them.Another problem caused by the frozen temperatures is burying dead bodies, burying the dead also becomes difficult in Oymyakon due to the frozen ground. Prior to burials, large fires must be lit to warm the soil which can take up to three days. The earth must first have thawed sufficiently in order to dig, so a bonfire is lit for a couple of hours. Hot coals are then pushed to the side and a hole a couple of inches deep is dug. The process is repeated for several days until the hole is deep enough to bury the coffin.

5. Oymakon village at dawn with a plume of smoke rising from the heating plant.

6. Stuck truck en route Oymakon.

7. Frozen lake in Oymyakon.

8. 55ºc

Re: You Probably Couldn’t Survive In Oymyakon, The World’s Coldest City. by justwise(m): 9:32am On Feb 03, 2015
Sile12:
I posted on this thread yesterday, i just made a simple contribution, i was banned immediately, by this morning after my release, the post has been removed....
Why

justwise

When you banned by spambot report it
Re: You Probably Couldn’t Survive In Oymyakon, The World’s Coldest City. by Nobody: 9:58am On Feb 03, 2015
justwise:

When you banned by spambot report it

I did, but to someone else.
Thanks sir.
Re: You Probably Couldn’t Survive In Oymyakon, The World’s Coldest City. by justwise(m): 10:04am On Feb 03, 2015
Sile12:

I did, but to someone else.
Thanks sir.

You should have reported it in travel section because that was where it happened.

Anywhere your post is visible now.
Re: You Probably Couldn’t Survive In Oymyakon, The World’s Coldest City. by akinsadeez(m): 10:06am On Feb 03, 2015
Imagine having weak sunlight just three hours everyday. The rest of the day everywhere freezingly cold and dark. Chai, na die be that.
Re: You Probably Couldn’t Survive In Oymyakon, The World’s Coldest City. by Nobody: 11:55am On Feb 03, 2015
justwise:

You should have reported it in travel section because that was where it happened.

Anywhere your post is visible now.

Actually I used to report, send email, quote the immediate mods anytime am banned like that, but its just that they don't respond. Except him, that's the reason I didn't bother to report here.

Thanks sir
Re: You Probably Couldn’t Survive In Oymyakon, The World’s Coldest City. by Nobody: 1:14pm On Feb 03, 2015
bestridetravel:
Hmmmmmmm.....we thankGod for Nigeria weather. I know not many Nigerians can survive in such a place. Holidaying in such a place is a no no for many.

Holidaying?? Not even in summer.
Re: You Probably Couldn’t Survive In Oymyakon, The World’s Coldest City. by 20bc(m): 5:16pm On Feb 03, 2015
Sile12:
Oymyakon(Russian) is a rural locality in Oymyakonsky District of the Sakha Republic,Russia. Its located along the Indigirka River, 30 kilometers (19 mi) northwest of Tomtoron the Kolyma Highway...

1. Location.

2. Alone in the ice: A lone man walks across a courtyard.

3. Treacherous drive: A car drives through the snow at night near Vostochnaya meteorological station where locals are said to leave their cars running all day to keep generating heat for fear of not being able to restart them.

4. A minibus drives along an ice road across the Lena River where there is weak sunlight for just three hours each day in winter.

Thanks bro for the additional information......
Re: You Probably Couldn’t Survive In Oymyakon, The World’s Coldest City. by Nobody: 2:34am On Feb 04, 2015
20bc:
Thanks bro for the additional information......

Welcome bros
Re: You Probably Couldn’t Survive In Oymyakon, The World’s Coldest City. by Kassidy4luv(m): 4:04pm On Feb 04, 2015
I must visit here soon...........

Una go see am

(1) (2) (Reply)

Where Can I Get International Drivers Permit In Nigeria? / Portuguese Embassy In Nigeria / Reasons Why Immigrants Are Now Leaving Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.