Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,200 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:08 AM

Spin Off From Zzzzz - Not Without My Daughter - Poems For Review - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / Spin Off From Zzzzz - Not Without My Daughter (1623 Views)

My Daughter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Spin Off From Zzzzz - Not Without My Daughter by Cayon(f): 1:56pm On Dec 26, 2008
ariblaze:

.have you seen this movie . . . . .not without my daughter. . . ?
think again

@ariblaze

Sorry, I no longer want to post in that thread hence why i open this.

Regarding your question on "Not without my daughter" - the answer is NO.

I googled it and read the synopsis (see below).  SCARY Yikes!!!  I think i know what you are implying - but why would you suggest this movie to me.  I am no where close to that character.  Trust me, I am not easily fooled. Enlighten me some more please.

Thanks
Plot
After many years of marriage to an Iranian doctor named Moody (Alfred Molina), Alpena, Michigan-bred Betty (Sally Field) is convinced by him to visit his family in Tehran for the first time. Although she has a lot of trepidation about traveling to the Middle East, her fear of violence is overcome by sympathy for her husband, who misses his family. After Moody swears on the Qu'ran that everything will be fine, Betty agrees to go. The happy couple set out with their young daughter, Mahtob (played by Sheila Rosenthal, who won the Best Actress Young Artist Award for this role), on a planned two week family vacation.

Upon arrival, Betty is immediately required to wear the traditional black veil, and is nearly arrested for inadvertently exposing some of her hair. Contrary to everything Betty had previously been led to believe, her husband's family turns out to be fanatically devout and conservative Muslims, who are very unhappy with how Americanized Moody has become. Towards the end of their scheduled holiday, her husband reveals that he has been fired from his job in Michigan and has decided the family will stay in Iran, where they are desperate for doctors. Suddenly, she sees a completely different side of him. When she objects to staying, he beats her and takes her credit cards, money and identification. She soon realizes that she and her daughter have become prisoners in her sister-in-law's home. She manages to speak with her own mother in the US., who provides her with an Embassy contact, before her husband cuts off her access to the telephone.

Betty sneaks out of the house and gets to the Swiss Embassy, where she learns that under Iranian law women have no legal rights concerning their children; she and her daughter are automatically considered Iranian citizens because Betty married a legal Iranian, and neither can leave the country without Moody's signed permission. To make matters worse, if Betty were to get a divorce, she could leave Iran but Mahtob would have to stay since Moody would get sole custody. Her husband becomes increasingly violent toward her and she is watched around the clock by his unsympathetic relatives. Realizing that her opportunities to escape are limited, she plays the part of a devout Muslim wife. She attempts to mend the relationship with her husband and expresses an interest in converting to Islam. Eventually, her husband loosens his tight reign, moving the family into his brother's home. Her traumatized daughter is enrolled in a Muslim school, where Betty is allowed to accompany her. In a class about the Qu'ran, Betty meets Ellen, an American woman who is also married to an Iranian man. Their friendship between the two ends when Ellen is caught by her husband trying to mail a letter for Betty.

Over time, Moody trusts Betty to make short, timed trips to the market, without her daughter. In the marketplace she meets a man who is part of an underground network that assists Western women in her position and she begins to plan her escape. When her father falls ill, Moody makes plans for her to return to the US. for a visit. Her initial happiness fades when he informs her that her daughter will remain in Iran with him, while she liquidates all their assets in the US. and sends the money back to Iran. When she objects to leaving Mahtob behind, he slams his fists on the table and walks away from the table yelling, "It's my money and I want it!" Fearing that she will never see her daughter again if she leaves her in Iran, she accelerates her escape plan. The day before Betty is due to leave for the US. to see her father, Moody is called back to the hospital for an emergency. Betty takes advantage of this occasion to fake going out for a stroll with Mahtob. In a harrowing journey through the desert and mountains she and Mahtob escape Iran through Turkey, after eighteen months of living in Iran.

The movie was released a few days before the Persian Gulf War started. Some scenes of Not Without My Daughter have been repeatedly shown by IRIB in Iran.[citation needed]
Re: Spin Off From Zzzzz - Not Without My Daughter by bluespice(f): 6:52pm On Dec 26, 2008
trust blaze to scream everyone's deepest fears aloud lipsrsealed
Re: Spin Off From Zzzzz - Not Without My Daughter by ariblaze(m): 3:00pm On Dec 27, 2008
bluespice have you seen what you owe me yet?

i need details on when you are paying up asap

cayon

the first time i was ever going to read your write

any of your write was that day

and you left me with this impression of a very very sad young woman

emphasis on very very sad

now you seem to find purchase with (he whos name i wont speak lol)

from what you wrote about the dude, he is got game thus dint take to anyone you offered

in asmuch as i dont know you,i would like to believe from the way you write,which is good by the way

that you are very persecptive and intuitive thus if that dude did have vibes for you,believe me ma

your sonar would have pinged, i dont think its . . .whats that name he called it? ,

i think it more like you are a good idea,a sad confused and pain girl,is the right material to be molded

i dont want to go into religion here.(his being a muslim isnt the problem) . . . .but believe me i question his heritage. . . .

which supports a certin level of submissiveness the free world and even you would frown against hence my ref to the movie

and note people dont change that way. . .it takes grace for a man to maintain an even footing with his woman

that is the average man ooo,not to talk of one whose life his mum would have being entirely submissive to his dad

then the my son loves you. . . .phrase is very disturbing

cant put my finger on what exactly has me spooked but something doesnt ring right about it

i would let you know what it is as soon as it comes to me

which brings me to another thing

you get angry calls to quit nairaland from a no named caller huh?

nairaland can b called many things but isnt that bad as to be warned off it

so do you have to be a rocket scientist to figure who is behind it?

you are being hedged as cow would be

i never did like quiet people ,too much scheming

i might not have answered you ooo

but my advice still stands make a clean break from everyone him especially

your family would come around eventually

note:about the iss with your mum

if honestly there were unbiased peeps around to advice you

non would berate you as much as he did before telling you to apologise

i for one would have suggested you called a meet with your mum and ask why she hates you

that is bound to open the faucet . . . . . . . . . .havent seen any mother that hates her child yet and frankly hope not to encounter any

thus i bet if you speak to your mum about your pain ,your hurt. . . .she might still not undertstand you but she would respect you more

and i can assure you, she would never strike you again

show her you can be your own woman

that you can make your life choices without there imput

but you would want to make it knowing they love you like you love them eitherways

it takes a lot, to do it i know. . . . . .but whats in pride?she is still mummy
Re: Spin Off From Zzzzz - Not Without My Daughter by ariblaze(m): 3:15pm On Dec 27, 2008
quick question

your signature

absolutely fab

but is it just

a signature to you?

or are you living the life?

from here i would say you are getting conquered

so ma rev that spirit up and march

i would rather die than have my spirit broken

sush *******thats why i left the army********

look at my signature

a disclaimer by default

which means neither you nor anyone can hold me responsible for what i write lol grin
Re: Spin Off From Zzzzz - Not Without My Daughter by bluespice(f): 1:38am On Dec 28, 2008
blaze u lost me wat do i owe u?
Re: Spin Off From Zzzzz - Not Without My Daughter by Cayon(f): 2:42am On Dec 29, 2008
[size=18pt]TOSH[/size] - Since you seem to know about people, then you should be an astrologer grin grin grin

Peace
[quote author=ariblaze link=topic=211788.msg3274642#msg3274642 date=1230386406][/quote]

Re: Spin Off From Zzzzz - Not Without My Daughter by ariblaze(m): 9:00am On Dec 29, 2008
cayon ?

(1) (Reply)

Tragedy at Home (Dedicated to Sosoliso Plane Crash) / Your Always With Me / White Skin Black Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.