Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,001 members, 7,821,506 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:02 PM

Who Killed The Thief??? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Killed The Thief??? (1107 Views)

Pastor Forgives Thief Who Broke Into Church Office To Steal (Photos) / Atheist President Of Mexico Who Killed 4000 Priests In Just 4 Years! / Who Killed More People - The Bible God Or Hitler? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Killed The Thief??? by FoxyFlow(m): 9:23pm On Jan 28, 2015
I started this story on a clean slate before it changed dimension. Bear with me. It was inspired by incidents around me. It is a joint effort though, with a movie I had watched months ago...

Once upon a time...

1 Like

Re: Who Killed The Thief??? by FoxyFlow(m): 9:26pm On Jan 28, 2015
Mama Ende used the end of her wrapper to wipe off the sweat which had gathered on her brow. She was turning a big pot of tuwo shinkafa with which she intends to surprise her children with when they return from hawking. Even though she wasn't financially stable, she still tried her best to feed her children well. To her, fat children were always the pride of the home they came out from. Her eldest daughter had the biggest and roundest stomach amongst all her children for she ate the most, proving her theory right.

Ekeka doesn't waste time to outgrow a cloth which was a source of concern to the mother. If Ekeka was growing taller, it would had been a different case altogether. Instead she was growing rounder. Her mother had tried her best to place Ekeka on a diet but each time Ekeka goes out to hawk okpa, she would be back with half the money short. Why? She would eat and eat okpa to the extent that her breath would come in short gasps.

Mama Ende finished turning the egusi soup which had assorted meat and other chopstis inside, scooped a little and tasted it. The soup needed a little amount of salt which she added, allowed to cook for a while before setting the pot down.

"Mama, we are back."

That was the voice of Dan, her second son. Soon the children filed into the room and as was the custom, submitted the money on them to their mother. As usual, Ekeka was running short of five hundred naira. The mother only smiled as her over-sized daughter passed her the money and made her way straight to the kitchen. It was obvious she had ate the five hundred naira okpa about two hours ago.

"Ekeka, go and take your bath first. All of you need to look clean and good for the food we are about to eat."

The mother shouted from the seating room. Ekeka grudgingly eyed the thermo flask her mother had put the tuwo shinkafa in without knowing the content. The pot of soup was on the highest shelf, far from where Ekeka's hand could reach. The aroma though made Ekeka's mouth water and her stomach grumble hungrily. She knew she had no option than to bath and change her clothes. Thus she went to the bathroom.

Mama Ende arranged the table, covering each food. She wanted the occasion to be special. Ekeka came out first, followed by Dan, then Okosie. As soon as they sat down, Ekeka wanted to open her plate to see what was in it but her mother prevented her. This was the first time they would say the grace before eating. While everybody closed their eyes, Ekeka's own remained open eyeing the food hungrily.

"Let's eat"

The mother announced but a knock on the door cut her short. Three masked men opened the door and silently entered.

"Nobody move."

Too late, Ekeka had already opened her plate and had seen the chunks of meat. Her stomach protested hungrily. She lifted her eyes and eyed the robbers murderously.

To be continued...

1 Like

Re: Who Killed The Thief??? by FoxyFlow(m): 9:28pm On Jan 28, 2015
Ekeka looked at the thieves murderously who also stood there wondering what must have gotten into the child. Her fat lips which were trembling gave way exposing her teeth. Traces of saliva could be seen.

"Madam, where is the money you kept in the house?"

The person who seemed to be the leader asked.

Okosie had already drawn so close to his mother, his whimpers becoming louder each second. Mama Ende looked at Dan who maintained his cool, his eyes darting here and there like he was contemplating on what to do. Alas, he was only a child. His strength was not up to a quarter of any of the grown men that had come calling.

"There is no money"

Mama Ende replied quietly. A small growl was heard, more like a wild animal being strangled. They all turned to see Ekeka. Saliva had already started dripping from her mouth. Her fist was held tight in a punch as she seemed to be shaking on her chair. A sniff came from her followed by a clearing of her throat. As if on cue, the leader of the gang pointed a gun at Ekeka. This only increased her anger while Mama Ende quickly went down on her knees.

"I beg you in the name of God. This is the only thing I have. Please take it and leave my daughter alone."

As she spread her hand which held a paper. In it was the day's sales wrapped neatly. Mama Ende seldom keeps money in the house. She knows the interest of banking. But the foodstuffs she had in her house was enough to feed the neighbourhood for two weeks.

A laughter broke out among the robbers. Each pointing a finger at Ekeka. This time, Ekeka had stopped making her neck fatter. The sudden action of the robbers had caught her by surprise.

"This shepopotamus? I thought she's your aunty."

One of the robbers retorted.

"No she's not. Just my daughter who loves her food. She is angry that you are delaying her."

Mama Ende replied. Ekeka looked puppy eyes from one robber to another.

"Let me have the money then."

The leader said stretching his hands towards Mama Ende. She passed him the money which he counted. They all turned to leave but getting to the door, they paused. One of the robbers seemed to have whispered something to the leader. From there the voice of the leader rang out.

"Do you have extra food for me and my boys?"

Ekeka looked at her mum who smiled briefly before replying the robbers.

"My table is open for all."

Moment later the robbers were dragging chunks of meat among each other. Ekeka had taken her own food to the far corner of the room where she sat down devouring it. Okosie was seated on the legs of one of the robbers who fed him. Mama Ende was scared but she did not show it. Her appetite was far gone and the pistols on the table pointing at her had already given her a fever. The robbers had only rolled up their masks to expose their mouths, their faces were still fully covered.

Done with the meal, they stood up to leave.

"Here is your money. Just prepare something nice. We will be here to eat tomorrow."

With that they opened the door and melted into the night. Mama Ende sat on the table counting her gains while Ekeka laid sleeping where she had ate.

1 Like

Re: Who Killed The Thief??? by FoxyFlow(m): 9:29pm On Jan 28, 2015
Ekeka adjusted her sleeping wrapper which had slightly exposed her chunky legs. Cold had crept through there making her shiver a little bit. She did not want to wake up from the dream in which she was eating a huge plate of rice with chicken. Her mother who laid close to her was in deep thought. Each time she closed her eyes, she kept seeing the masked man pointing a gun at her daughter. She thanked God the man had not pulled the trigger. Asking for food and later returning the money was another thing of concern. The men promised to come back for more food. Which robber does that?

Dan who slept between Ekeka and his mother seemed to be having a bad dream as he turned and tossed on the bed. His mother watched him with slight concern registering on her face. She did not want to wake the poor lad up. Soon he was kicking around with his legs, his eyes held shut.

"Puuuuuuutututu!!!"

The sound startled Mama Ende who jolted a little bit before smiling. Dan had been struggling with a fart in his sleep. Mama Ende bent down and drew the wrapper which had been kicked off by Dan. She used it to cover him before laying her head to sleep. Silently the sleep stole her into a world where she owned and ruled everything. Her very own world.

"Ekeka, wake up. It's 3:00am."

Ekeka turned and tossed before opening her eyes lazily to behold a lamp held to her face. She shut her eyes a little bit while lifting her hand to shut off the brightness.

"Wake up, the day is still long."

Mama Ende shook her daughter. Ekeka stood up and walked outside into the morning cold with her mother. It was a daily routine for her since their father went missing in Maiduguri. He had gone there to buy beans which he sold in the main market in Keffi. He was never heard of again.

Mama Ende and young Ekeka had waited hopefully for his return. He was supposed to return three days earlier but he delayed. A week went by but nothing was heard of him. A month went by, six months and finally four years. Ekeka had stumbled on her mother several times speaking to a picture of her father which she kept in a drawer which was always locked. Tears would be seen dripping off her eyes, her lips trembling.

Ekeka had always backed out silently not wanting to draw attention. She would then proceed to the back of the house to cry her own share. As young as she was, she understood the pains of losing a loved one. Her mother had lost a husband, she, a father.

"Bring me that gallon of oil."

Her mother's voice brought her out of her reverie. She gave her mum the oil and watched her mix the pigeon-pea with the necessary ingredients. She tied them in a leather bag before dropping them into an already boiling water.

Before the okpa got ready, her siblings had gotten up and ready for the day's business. Ekeka, Dan and Okosie each had a tray of okpa on their head that morning. Ekeka though had already eaten five pieces of the okpa before it was fully cooked.

"God be with you my children."

Mama Ende prayed as her children all walked out into the cold air of 5:30am to seek their daily bread.

1 Like

Re: Who Killed The Thief??? by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jan 28, 2015
More pls
Re: Who Killed The Thief??? by FoxyFlow(m): 9:49pm On Jan 28, 2015
ogorkojo:
More pls

I thought nobody was going to like the story... Don't worry, I have written it already so amma post away...
Re: Who Killed The Thief??? by FoxyFlow(m): 9:53pm On Jan 28, 2015
"Okpa dey!! Buy okpa!!"

Ekeka kept shouting into the morning air. She had walked a long distance away from their house. Her final destination was Nyanya motor park. That was where she always sold all her food. Though the competition was stiff, she had always intimidated her opponents with her massive size. Today is not going to be any different, she thought. The way and manner in which people go to work in Abuja amused her. As early as 5:00am and to imagine the hold up on the way each evening. This makes them reach home by 8 or 9pm. I don't want to work inside Abuja city, she prayed.

"Fine girl, bring okpa."

A rather coarse voice said through the early morning light. The day had not fully broken but the sky could be seen turning red in the distance. Ekeka paused, turned around and saw Musiu. He was a motor park tout. Had always been on her case since she started bringing out two oranges on her chest. Her bottom too had begun growing but she was too busy selling her okpa to notice.

"How much own you want?"

Ekeka asked. Musiu had stepped out from where he had stood smoking a roll of marijuana. This made him fearless throughout the day as his job involved abusing customers. He had been slapped more than a dozen times by tempered customers but he had not retaliated. He had only rained more abuses on them. Retaliating would cause him his job at the park and he was a good employee.

"How much you go sell me two okpa plus you?"

Musiu asked mischievously while rolling his tongue on his lips.

"Two okpa na hundred naira and you no fit buy me with all the morning wey your ancestors dey save reach your turn."

Ekeka's word stung like a dart. Musiu winced and his voice became an inch softer, the agberoish nature nearly concealed.

"But you know say I love you. Na you I want to marry. Onyinye, asanwa, omotosan. Munagigebi. Please no say no."

Ekeka watched Musiu in amusement. The weight though she had on her head was beginning to tell on her.

"You wan buy okpa abi you no wan buy make I dey go."

She finally asked.

"Give me two. I go come see your mother ask for your price this evening."

He replied smiling to reveal his heavy punch-made open teeth. One was conspicuously missing while the other was divided in half.

"For your dreams abeg give me my money then help me drop this load. I no wan make you chop my okpa run today."

She said opening her hands in which Musiu dropped the money. She gave him the okpa and he helped her put her tray of okpa on her head. She walked towards her destination shouting "buy okpa" while Musiu stood eating his okpa staring at her moving figure.

He was in love, in love with the fat girl that sells okpa.
Re: Who Killed The Thief??? by consultancy: 10:13pm On Jan 28, 2015
nyc one
Re: Who Killed The Thief??? by FoxyFlow(m): 10:17pm On Jan 28, 2015
consultancy:
@Op,nice story oo.but i dnt understand y d kids had to go hawking when der mother had d liberty of cuking such lavishly prepared meals on daily basis to make dem fat

Some houses are like that.. They feed the kids well to hide the real thing that is happening.

Thankz for reading...
Re: Who Killed The Thief??? by ballyjzworld(m): 10:19pm On Jan 28, 2015
You are on point man...
Re: Who Killed The Thief??? by FoxyFlow(m): 10:22pm On Jan 28, 2015
ballyjzworld:
You are on point man...

Thankz... I appreciate
Re: Who Killed The Thief??? by FoxyFlow(m): 10:48pm On Jan 28, 2015
Mama Ende had already set the table when the children came back from selling. The table too had more plates than the number of children in the house.

"Ehen, Ekeka, bring me the flask from the kitchen."

Mama Ende directed her. She went into the kitchen and returned with the flask. Ekeka wasn't in the mood to open the flask. Her mind was filled with the pictures of what she had seen that day. A boy not older than her had been crushed by a trailer. His brain was splattered on the road with blood sipping steadily from his jerking body. The trailer that ran over the boy had narrowly missed her. She and the boy had competed to cross the road in order to sell to a customer who had called them from the other side.

"Ekeka, do you want to bleach your skin?"

Mama Ende screamed from the sitting room. Ekeka had spent close to 30 minutes in the bathroom looking at the water. The clattering of the child's tray still resounded in her head.

"I'm coming out now."

She replied her mother. Soon the mum heard the sound of splashing water coming from the bathroom. Satisfied, she continued with what she was doing. Inside the food flask Ekeka had earlier brought was shaki. Peppered one and she had earlier gotten a carton of 5alive juice to wash the pepper down with. Beer was never an option for her.

Ekeka came out still wearing that long face but the mother did not really notice. She was too busy preparing for her new visitors. Dan and Okosie who had taken their bath outside were busy arguing whose belly shone the brightest from the vaseline they applied on them. Lively children who should be in school.

"Children, oya, come to the table let's eat."

Mama Ende said to her children.

"But mama, is uncle arm-robber not going to come today?"

Okosie asked innocently.

"Ehrm.. I don't really know."

Mama Ende replied, kind of put off by the question.

"I like him. He is nice."

He chipped in. Mama Ende only shook her head before turning to Ekeka. She had this glint in her eyes.

"Your husband came to see me today concerning your wedding."

Ekeka only looked at her mother.

"Musiu. Shey you know him."

The mother continued. Ekeka nodded her head.

"I don't want to talk about him. Ejiro died today."

Mama Ende was more than shock with the news and Ekeka had begun to cry. She stood up from where she was and went to hug her daughter. The other two kids stayed put, shiny eyes. They did not know Ejiro and the food was getting cold.

"Why is she crying?"

It was the voice of the leader of the robbery gang. They had returned. This time though, without their mask on.

To be continued...

1 Like

Re: Who Killed The Thief??? by FoxyFlow(m): 7:57am On Jan 29, 2015
Mama Ekeka was disoriented at first. She had never thought the thieves would have such pleasant faces without their masks on. She wasn't expecting handsome young men, just the kind of faces that defines evil. Ugly and twisted.

"Why is she crying?"

The leader of the gang asked again.

"A boy she knew was crushed by a trailer today."

Came the reply.

"Was the boy her classmate?"

The leader of the gang asked.

"No, they sell okpa together at the park."

Mama Ende replied his question.

"Is she not supposed to be in school?"

A member of the gang asked. He was slightly shorter than the leader even though he was tall. He also was strikingly handsome. This time, Mama Ende had to pause and think. She did not know where the thieves were headed. Thieves asking her questions in pure undiluted queens English were surely no ordinary thieves.

"Ehn.. Ehn.."

And she kept quiet dropping her face down a little bit. Ekeka too who had been listening to the interview just sat there, her mouth open. She had dropped out in JSS 1 after her father got missing. Though she was intelligent, she couldn't continue as there was no money. Dan was in primary four at that time. Okosie was in the nursery classes. The family had struggled with everything. Ranging from her father brothers coming to confiscate everything to the bank closing down the shop which her father had opened for her mum. It was so bad that they had to resort to hawking to put body and soul together and now these thieves are asking about school. What do they care anyway, are they also educated? Ekeka had this thought going through her mind.

"I am a graduate of Mechanical Engineering from Federal University Lafia. I am working towards obtaining my Masters."

The leader of the gang revealed taking both mother and daughter by surprise.

"We are all graduates and we want to all go for our masters. This would make us stand chances in the labour market."

The third member who had remained silent all through revealed. Mama Ende only swallowed while thinking about the rot in the government. Bad governance always generates vices. She knew better than to say it out though.

"Let's eat."

The leader finally said. Everybody sat down and began eating as a family. Okosie as usual was carried on the leg of the leader and was fed. They had nearly finished eating when a loud bang came on the door. The landlord stepped in.

"Madam, where is my money? I say where is my money?!"

The landlord screamed as he made his way towards the table.

"I don't have it, please be patient."

Mama Ende voice shook. The robbers just maintained their cool. The landlord screamed and ranted then left.

"Where does he stay?"

The leader asked.

"The flat opposite ours."

The leader only nodded. Then with a signal from him, they all stood to leave. He dipped his hand into his pocket and produced a big bundle of 1000 Naira notes.

"Cook for us. We will return tomorrow. Enrol this children in school also. Good night."

Before Mama Ende could accept or refuse it, he dropped it on the table and they all left. Who would want to disobey a robber? She picked the money. It was much and would accomplish all the robber had said, even pay the house rent with change remaining.

The next day, the landlord came with a broken arm to tell Mama Ende that she could stay as long as she wants. She is now placed on the no-payment bonanza. Mama Ende only wondered at the sudden change in attitude.
Re: Who Killed The Thief??? by Justeenaleo(f): 8:19am On Jan 29, 2015
Nice story you got there, sounds familiar too, guess its the movie.
Re: Who Killed The Thief??? by MrPresident1: 3:40pm On Jan 29, 2015
Good story. Following grin
Re: Who Killed The Thief??? by joe17: 5:23pm On Jan 29, 2015
nice story *siping ma origin
Re: Who Killed The Thief??? by amanda2013(f): 9:51pm On Jan 29, 2015
Following.

1 Like

Re: Who Killed The Thief??? by Idiataqueen(f): 11:19pm On Feb 02, 2015
following
Re: Who Killed The Thief??? by FoxyFlow(m): 6:24pm On Feb 03, 2015
Days have passed and Ekeka had begun to settle in her new school. Because of her age though, she did not resume JSS 1. She was moved straight to JSS 3 in preparation for her junior WAEC. Funny enough, neither she, her siblings or her mother got to meet the robbers during the day. It was only at night. They would come, bring money, bring new electronic gadgets, eat food and then disappear into the night only to reappear the next day.

People had also been trooping lately to the divisional police station. They brought various reports of three men coming to rob them. The men they say are armed and dangerous and always got what they want. There had been instances where the robbers would send one of their members to follow you on a bike to the ATM. You would withdraw all your savings and hand it over to him, drive him back to the house and then they will bade you good night. Throughout their operations, the police emergency numbers would be busy and text messages would refuse to deliver.

The only house that was spared was Mama Ende's own. The police had questioned the landlord severally but each time he wants to talk, there would be a twitch in his broken arm which had healed a long time ago. Each and everyone kept watching how Mama Ende and her children were growing fresher. Ekeka had also trimmed down into a beautiful young girl, her tummy neatly tucked. Mama Ende also operated a big restaurant with lots of customers. The robbers had been accepted into the family too. The other children were in school and their performance superb.

Months passed before the first signs of trouble reared its ugly head. Mama Ende just finished closing her shop for the day when she was accosted by two policemen. They came to ask her some questions.

"Madam, do you know anything about the robbery going on?"

The short stocky policeman asked. Mama Ende weighed her options. To tell or not to tell.

"No I don't."

Came her curt reply.

"How then did you progress in so short a time?"

The short one persisted.

"Because God has ways of blessing people."

She replied.

"I hear your house is like a party each night."

The tall one remarked with a quirk smile on his face.

"Everyone knows I like feeding my children well."

Mama Ende was becoming impatient. She looked at the gold plated watch on her wrist. She had to go and cook.

"One more thing. If you see or hear anything suspicious, try as much as you can to report to us. You know, the police is your friend."

With that they waved her on. Mama Ende left them watching her. Her mind filled with thoughts.

That night, as she sat preparing food in her kitchen, her eyes darted to a corner. The rat poison she had bought days back laid idly. The robbers were yet to come and Ekeka was in the living-room tidying up her assignments. She sighed, her head a riot of thoughts. Her eyes had gone wet and her hand trembled as she stirred the pot of soup. Some dropped on the cooker but she did not mind. She was only praying that she was doing the right thing.

Suddenly she stopped what she was doing, walked to the corner and picked up the rat poison. "Chop-n-die" was boldly printed on the packet.
Re: Who Killed The Thief??? by Anas09: 9:54pm On Feb 04, 2015
Hmmmm. Great story. But do u knw this word? Plagiarism. Has it occurred to u that some smart ass can publish it?. I like it and I won't want u to stop. But I have to advice u to stop b4 some one stole it.
Re: Who Killed The Thief??? by Anas09: 9:57pm On Feb 04, 2015
Pls don't tell me she poisoned them.
Re: Who Killed The Thief??? by Ramwab94(m): 11:53pm On Feb 04, 2015
She must change her mind oooo. Foxy, I hope you'll finish this one unlike your numerous unfinished stories
Re: Who Killed The Thief??? by FoxyFlow(m): 7:56am On Feb 05, 2015
Anyone can steal it... I don't really care.. I already posted it on facebook before coming here.

Thanks for your concern...

(1) (Reply)

Deliverance Prayers On Evil Dreams And Nightmares / Help Compile A List Of Orphanages In Different Parts Of Nigeria / Why You Should Zero Your Mind From Going To Heaven...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.