Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,851 members, 7,810,279 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:37 AM

Do It Yourself Thread: How To Install A Ceiling Fan (new Room Or Old) - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Do It Yourself Thread: How To Install A Ceiling Fan (new Room Or Old) (30452 Views)

This TV Will Cost #174M To Buy And #12M To Install In Your Living Room(Photos) / Viral Video: See The Giant Snake Found In A Restaurant Ceiling - / How To Install Solar Panels & Inverter For Home-step By Step Guide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do It Yourself Thread: How To Install A Ceiling Fan (new Room Or Old) by irukandji89(m): 8:31am On Jan 31, 2015
Installing a Ceiling Fan has to be one of the easiest things you can carry out.

Its so easy you can DIY.

Its surprising when people actually call electricians for this measly job.

So for you folks that think its rocket science, let me show you how easy it is.

Installing of ceiling fan can be of two ways:

1. For a room that a ceiling fan has never been installed. In this type of room you will have to make a wiring for the new fan. Also easy.

2. For a room that has an existing ceiling fan. You just need to replace it with the new one.

SAFETY MEASURES:

As is the case with anything and everything that involves electricity, sensible safety measures must be taken.

Wear gloves, don't handle live wire. Or if you are as paranoid as I am, switch off power in the whole house completely.

If each room has a cut out fuse, switch or remove the one for the room.

That way you are sure of working with peace of mind.

Then we start.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do It Yourself Thread: How To Install A Ceiling Fan (new Room Or Old) by irukandji89(m): 8:36am On Jan 31, 2015
First, we assemble our tools and items. They include:

Spanner (size 10),

Pliers,

Screwdriver,

Insulation tape,

Belt clip (if you need to make new wiring)

Wire (if you need to make new wiring)

2 Shares

Re: Do It Yourself Thread: How To Install A Ceiling Fan (new Room Or Old) by irukandji89(m): 8:40am On Jan 31, 2015
By now you should have bought the fan . if not already. The method is the same for every ceiling fan.

I bought a cheap one for a room I had to stay in for some weeks. It had no ceiling fan installed prior to my stay in it.

I personally prefer ceiling fans to standing ones. Uniform circulation of air.

Re: Do It Yourself Thread: How To Install A Ceiling Fan (new Room Or Old) by ShakurM(m): 8:41am On Jan 31, 2015
Op! U too much wink
Re: Do It Yourself Thread: How To Install A Ceiling Fan (new Room Or Old) by irukandji89(m): 8:47am On Jan 31, 2015
Every electrical or electronic device comes with an instructions manual.

Let it guide you.

Or just follow my lead here.

Remove all the parts from the pack and place them close to each other.

Re: Do It Yourself Thread: How To Install A Ceiling Fan (new Room Or Old) by irukandji89(m): 8:51am On Jan 31, 2015
We start with the motor of the fan. Its the most important part of the device. Like the engine is to a car. Remove the engine, and see how stupid you will look if you try to start up the car.

We start by attaching the blades. Don't remove the paper washers where the blade will be placed. They serve as insulation.

Re: Do It Yourself Thread: How To Install A Ceiling Fan (new Room Or Old) by okirewaju(f): 8:51am On Jan 31, 2015
Nice

lemme learn!!!
Re: Do It Yourself Thread: How To Install A Ceiling Fan (new Room Or Old) by macsika: 8:52am On Jan 31, 2015
here are some rules you require before acquiring an A.C.
BRB
Re: Do It Yourself Thread: How To Install A Ceiling Fan (new Room Or Old) by irukandji89(m): 8:57am On Jan 31, 2015
Next, we have a feel of the cups. Wear them on the rod that will hold the fan in such a way that one faces up and the other faces down.

Also, the one facing down must cover the wiring and capacitors of the motor. You may need to initially remove some screws on the rod for the cups to pass through. Then you return them.

Re: Do It Yourself Thread: How To Install A Ceiling Fan (new Room Or Old) by irukandji89(m): 9:08am On Jan 31, 2015
This step can come before or after fitting the cups.

Its your choice.

Pass a wire through the rod. There is a hole made of white rubber where it will pass through. That is where the wire will come out from.

Check the top of the motor. You will see a bolt and nut. Remove them and place attach the rod before clamping with the bolt and nut.

Try to remember which hole you removed the bolt from.

Attach the wires to the terminal of the motor.

Then return the cups to their rightful places.

Re: Do It Yourself Thread: How To Install A Ceiling Fan (new Room Or Old) by irukandji89(m): 9:13am On Jan 31, 2015
Now, the ceiling fan assembly is complete. We now have to find a way to attach the fan to the ceiling.

Fortunately, the manufacturers provided us with a fan hook. It even has rubber for reducing noise.

Re: Do It Yourself Thread: How To Install A Ceiling Fan (new Room Or Old) by irukandji89(m): 9:14am On Jan 31, 2015
Look for this ceiling fan hanger. If its not there, you have to buy. It's dirt cheap.

Re: Do It Yourself Thread: How To Install A Ceiling Fan (new Room Or Old) by irukandji89(m): 9:17am On Jan 31, 2015
Remove the bolt from the fan hook (not the bolt passing through the rubber) and place it over the fan hanger as shown.

Re: Do It Yourself Thread: How To Install A Ceiling Fan (new Room Or Old) by irukandji89(m): 9:23am On Jan 31, 2015
If you can't do this part yourself, get someone to assist you.

Lift the fan towards the fan hanger and attach it to the hanger with the bolt you removed earlier.

Congratulations if you are able to get to this stage.

See how easy it is?

Don't forget to make the wire long enough to extent out from the rod.

Re: Do It Yourself Thread: How To Install A Ceiling Fan (new Room Or Old) by irukandji89(m): 9:30am On Jan 31, 2015
If there used to be a fan in the room before, its just a matter of joining the wires to the fan wires. Live to live, neutral to neutral. Black to black (or blue), red to red (or brown).

By now you should have cut off all power to the room.

Protect yourself from electrocution!!!!!!!!!!

You may also need to change the speed control box.
Re: Do It Yourself Thread: How To Install A Ceiling Fan (new Room Or Old) by irukandji89(m): 9:32am On Jan 31, 2015
If you need to make new wiring, read on.
Re: Do It Yourself Thread: How To Install A Ceiling Fan (new Room Or Old) by irukandji89(m): 9:40am On Jan 31, 2015
Look for the terminal box in the room. Its a white circular plastic where many wires enter.

Open it, and look for a wire that all other wires are connected to. That is the wire bringing in power to the room. You will be able to identify it by many black wires connected to it's black wire. Look at the wire at the left in this picture.

If you notice, you will see that the wire in the right goes down to the light switch of the room. So, you won't use that one. Unless you want you fan to work with the light in your room.

Re: Do It Yourself Thread: How To Install A Ceiling Fan (new Room Or Old) by irukandji89(m): 9:51am On Jan 31, 2015
Use this picture as a guide to connect the wire to the fan using the new wire you bought. You may need to extend wire from the ceiling fan to the wall.

You can attach the new wire to the wire of the bulb as shown.

You will also need to extend a wire from the terminal box to the side of the light switch. As shown below.

1 Like

Re: Do It Yourself Thread: How To Install A Ceiling Fan (new Room Or Old) by irukandji89(m): 9:58am On Jan 31, 2015
When you are done linking the wires and extending them, join the extension of the fan to the wire coming out from the fan rod and tape it off with insulation tape.

The last thing you need is for the two wires to touch when power passes through them.

KABOOM!!!!!! angry

Use the type of rubber insulation tape used here. The black one is common.

1 Like

Re: Do It Yourself Thread: How To Install A Ceiling Fan (new Room Or Old) by irukandji89(m): 10:16am On Jan 31, 2015
The last thing to do now is to connect the fan speed controller box.

Remove the top so you can attach it to the wall.

Join the wire that you extended for the speed controller and tape it with insulation tape.

Get some nails. You will mark the wall where the controller will be fixed. Check pictures below.

Re: Do It Yourself Thread: How To Install A Ceiling Fan (new Room Or Old) by irukandji89(m): 10:21am On Jan 31, 2015
Use the nails called tornado. They are made for wall nailing. They should Not be too long.

After marking out where the nails will be, make a hole at the marks, drive in some chunks of wood.

This will make the nails hold firm by the time you want to fix finally in place.

1 Share

Re: Do It Yourself Thread: How To Install A Ceiling Fan (new Room Or Old) by irukandji89(m): 10:24am On Jan 31, 2015
Finally, nail the controller firmly in place,

Cover it up.

And

VOILA!!!!!!

its DONE!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Do It Yourself Thread: How To Install A Ceiling Fan (new Room Or Old) by irukandji89(m): 10:34am On Jan 31, 2015
Reconnect power back to the room or to your building and watch in awe as your fan comes to life. grin

The fan is speeding well, that's why the blades cannot be seen.

So you see, this is very easy to accomplish.

I hope you can now try it the next time you want to replace a ceiling fan.

Let's keep the DIY movement alive.

DIY ROCKS!!!!!!!!

grin

THANK YOU, FOR TAKING THE TIME AND PATIENCE TO READ THIS FAR.

I HOPE YOU HAVE GAINED SOMETHING.

WATCH OUT FOR MORE DIY POSTS FROM ME.

3 Likes

Re: Do It Yourself Thread: How To Install A Ceiling Fan (new Room Or Old) by Hidorano(m): 1:19pm On Jan 31, 2015
God bless you with this DIY knowledge u have shared.

2 Likes

Re: Do It Yourself Thread: How To Install A Ceiling Fan (new Room Or Old) by kemiola89(f): 12:53pm On Feb 01, 2015
Wow! I'm loving this free tutorial.
Re: Do It Yourself Thread: How To Install A Ceiling Fan (new Room Or Old) by irukandji89(m): 1:07pm On Feb 02, 2015
kemiola89:
Wow! I'm loving this free tutorial.

Thanks for reading.

2 Likes

Re: Do It Yourself Thread: How To Install A Ceiling Fan (new Room Or Old) by denclen(m): 9:41am On Dec 22, 2016
irukandji89:
Reconnect power back to the room or to your building and watch in awe as your fan comes to life. grin

The fan is speeding well, that's why the blades cannot be seen.

So you see, this is very easy to accomplish.

I hope you can now try it the next time you want to replace a ceiling fan.

Let's keep the DIY movement alive.

DIY ROCKS!!!!!!!!

grin

THANK YOU, FOR TAKING THE TIME AND PATIENCE TO READ THIS FAR.

I HOPE YOU HAVE GAINED SOMETHING.

WATCH OUT FOR MORE DIY POSTS FROM ME.

God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Do It Yourself Thread: How To Install A Ceiling Fan (new Room Or Old) by rsz123: 11:24am On Mar 04, 2019
Nice tutorial... But what could be responsible for a ceiling fan which rotates at a very high speed, all blades are in good shape, but it doesn't circulate air at all... You can't feel it's breeze

Response needed sir
Re: Do It Yourself Thread: How To Install A Ceiling Fan (new Room Or Old) by richiepolymer(m): 5:08pm On May 29, 2019
The blades are likely bent such that it's not sucking in air to distribute.

rsz123:
Nice tutorial... But what could be responsible for a ceiling fan which rotates at a very high speed, all blades are in good shape, but it doesn't circulate air at all... You can't feel it's breeze

Response needed sir
Re: Do It Yourself Thread: How To Install A Ceiling Fan (new Room Or Old) by bonetalk(m): 5:14pm On Mar 30, 2020
Thanks bro.
Re: Do It Yourself Thread: How To Install A Ceiling Fan (new Room Or Old) by Obas101(m): 9:21pm On Apr 14, 2020
irukandji89:
Installing a Ceiling Fan has to be one of the easiest things you can carry out.

Its so easy you can DIY.

Its surprising when people actually call electricians for this measly job.

So for you folks that think its rocket science, let me show you how easy it is.

Installing of ceiling fan can be of two ways:

1. For a room that a ceiling fan has never been installed. In this type of room you will have to make a wiring for the new fan. Also easy.

2. For a room that has an existing ceiling fan. You just need to replace it with the new one.

SAFETY MEASURES:

As is the case with anything and everything that involves electricity, sensible safety measures must be taken.

Wear gloves, don't handle live wire. Or if you are as paranoid as I am, switch off power in the whole house completely.

If each room has a cut out fuse, switch or remove the one for the room.

That way you are sure of working with peace of mind.

Then we start.

Hi please I just replaced the capacitor in my ceiling and the direction of the blades changed... I don't know how to fix it. I'm using orl giant

1 Like

Re: Do It Yourself Thread: How To Install A Ceiling Fan (new Room Or Old) by bacco2000(m): 3:19am On Apr 15, 2020
This is a good tutorial.

People will have some things to gain if this can continue.

You did a good job.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Have You Been Bitten By A Cockroach Before?11 / Human-like Behaviors In Animals / 9-Year-Old Emmanuelle Oziofu Develops A Food Website (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.