Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:53 PM

hakuna matata - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / hakuna matata (1404 Views)

Some People Sells Their Properties To Travel Abroad, Why ? / Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 / Some Reasons Why Nigerians Abroad Are Not Coming Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

hakuna matata by odikomo1(m): 7:37pm On Feb 01, 2015
smiley

1 Like

Re: hakuna matata by tdayof(m): 7:42pm On Feb 01, 2015
odikomo1:
Why do nigerians abroad still use foreign accent even when it is obvious that the person they are talking to is nigeria brother. It is so annoying.
What i do to most of them is to automatically switch to pidgin. Until they remember their root and answer my question in nigeria tone.
Whats your take?
op wait let me laugh first grin

3 Likes

Re: hakuna matata by Craigston: 7:53pm On Feb 01, 2015
Registrar: Craigston.
Me: Present.
Re: hakuna matata by Moana(f): 9:40pm On Feb 01, 2015
Hehehe they want to keep it a secret
Re: hakuna matata by tpiah01: 3:29am On Feb 02, 2015
odikomo1:
Why do nigerians abroad still use foreign accent even when it is obvious that the person they are talking to is nigeria brother. It is so annoying.
What i do to most of them is to automatically switch to pidgin. Until they remember their root and answer my question in nigeria tone.
Whats your take?

Oju e le sha!

Hope all is well with you? You look like you swallowed a sour lemon.

Are you a terrorist militant by any chance.

Turn to Jesus please
Re: hakuna matata by optimusprime2(m): 9:29am On Feb 03, 2015
odikomo1:
Whats your take?
Trust me After consistently speaking a language like French, German or Turkish for 6years plus, your accent or way of speaking can never-I repeat, **Never!!** be the Same... so dude sometimes and most times, its not intentional- personally, I have forgotten how to speak pidgin English and it still baffles me that I have forgotten how, like I understand pidgin but my brain has just gotten the whole thing Tumbled up and constructing a sentence in pidgin is a huge challenge for me now.
Last week I saluted a Naija brother "How far now?" and he got soooo excited and started cracking pidgin(Mind you, I have not attempted pidgin in 5years now) and because we were surrounded by fascinated white people who were listening to the loud unique language, I wanted to showoff my culture too by sustaining the conversation in pidgin but I suddenly realized pidgin became really difficult, like trying to freestyle a hiphop rap line, I was like; "I had been wan started to check am Yani..." and thats it! thats where I got stuck; I started mixing up slangs/words that were not pidgin in an attempt to speak it, and I was frustrated because I knew I had lost my touch(You see I have this way of saying either "Yani" or "aslínda" when speaking generally and it was creeping into the pidgin too) secondly my accent is sorta bent now(It can't support pidgin easily -so I'v noticed), due to my constant French and Turkçe.
Apparently the guy noticed and switched to proper english in order for me to make sense and make the conversation easier for me, and the instant he did, (and I knew why he did) I felt so fake an African especially since I clearly wanted to showoff that day but could'nt-I am very sure he would have laughed at me sore when he left.
In such a case, would you blame me or many others in my situation??
Abeg don't talk about this case joor, you have no idea.

1 Like

Re: hakuna matata by holyboss: 5:10pm On Feb 03, 2015
U dey mind dem undecided

Like if u tink such ppl r crazy undecided

#ProudlyNaija #ProudlyWest #ProudlyYoruba
Re: hakuna matata by tdayof(m): 5:54pm On Feb 03, 2015
holyboss:
U dey mind dem undecided

Yoruba? shocked you be Fulani na
Re: hakuna matata by holyboss: 6:06pm On Feb 03, 2015
tdayof:
Yoruba? shocked you be Fulani na
I warned u to stop taking weed tongue

last warning undecided

1 Like

Re: hakuna matata by bebe2(f): 6:28pm On Feb 03, 2015
Minus me oo grin

But na true sha,

Some pple go call me after getting my contact off nairaland, wanting to send money to Nigeria and go dey for British accent.

mesef no dey carry last, once I hammer them with bad Rate , dem go return to pidgin English grin
Re: hakuna matata by optimusprime2(m): 11:11am On Feb 04, 2015
holyboss:
U dey mind dem undecided

it depends
Re: hakuna matata by optimusprime2(m): 11:22am On Feb 04, 2015
bebe2:
Minus me oo grin

But na true sha,

Some pple go call me after getting my contact off nairaland, wanting to send money to Nigeria and go dey for British accent.

mesef no dey carry last, once I hammer them with bad Rate , dem go return to pidgin English grin

it depends, to me, London is not a genuine tongue twisting place. Due to the fact english is the order of the day and tooo many Nigerians are in the UK who are still abreast with their way of speaking.
Try living 7years in Portugal, Romania or Croatia basically somewhere unenglished, then check your accent or pidgin aptitude after then.
No one will tell you that you are scarded.

(1) (Reply)

Bank Account Statement / Ride Hailing Company (ak-taxi), Ready To Hit The Nigerian Market / Dubai Based Nigeria Fraudster

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.