Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,680 members, 7,809,575 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:30 AM

Should Pastor's Wife Preach In Their Husband's Absence? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Pastor's Wife Preach In Their Husband's Absence? (4548 Views)

Dunamis Pastor’s Wife Bans Members From Hugging, Pecking In Church / If You Were Asked To Preach In Your Church, What Will Be Your Message? / Is It Wrong To Preach In A Public Transport? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Pastor's Wife Preach In Their Husband's Absence? by lucabrasi(m): 11:01am On Dec 29, 2008
i was in church yesterday and the pastor was away in nigeria and his wife preached in his stead,i must confess i didnt really connect to her preaching neither did many and even her tone and way of speaking was as if she was actually speaking to some people who she has issue with i.e some ushers and church members who either have to be cajoled to sing or church members who see being ferried by the church bus as a right rather than a priviledge(even though their tithes and offerings bought the bus in the first place)

i have noticed this trend with mostly pastor's wives while preaching and then going on to make veiled accusations and throwing innuendos,trying to reply critics of their husbands or church through sermons e.t.c

my question is this,should pastor's wives automatically step in to preach on sundays when their husbands are away?is it in the bible, because it seems to be a universal thing with all the churches i have attended, i must confess at times its glaring that some of them dont have the same calling as their husbands.
this is about a pastor's wife not women preaching, a woman preaching or leading a church might have a divine calling to set up a church but im on about a pastor's wife, sensible contributions with biblical backings if you can thank you
Re: Should Pastor's Wife Preach In Their Husband's Absence? by damiso(f): 11:32am On Dec 29, 2008
I have always wondered this as well.its happens alot in naija churches as it does also in  my church because the pastor is always travelling.and yeah sometimes the sermon lacks something can't quite put my hand on it.This also leads me to ask another question,Must every pastor's wife also be a pasor?Every church i have always attended has the pastor's wife being a pastor too.So does this mean husband calling as preacher(because i am aware that the wife may have a diff ministry or calling) equals the wife's calling as well?
@Luca do you worship @ Jubilee parish of RCCG? if not i think i know who your pastor wife is wink
Re: Should Pastor's Wife Preach In Their Husband's Absence? by lucabrasi(m): 12:47pm On Dec 29, 2008
damiso:

I have always wondered this as well.its happens alot in naija churches as it does also in my church because the pastor is always travelling.and yeah sometimes the sermon lacks something can't quite put my hand on it.This also leads me to ask another question,Must every pastor's wife also be a pasor?Every church i have always attended has the pastor's wife being a pastor too.So does this mean husband calling as preacher(because i am aware that the wife may have a diff ministry or calling) equals the wife's calling as well?
@Luca do you worship
@ Jubilee parish of RCCG? if not i think i know who your pastor wife is wink
exactly my thoughs as well,what prompted this was first where i worshipped yestd strongtower parish,and the pastor's wife wasnt just preaching but it was obvious she had some issues with some church members and choir,her preaching wasnt coherent and second what are the jobs of the assistant pastors who apaprt from having much more experience than the pastor's wife most times,have a calling to pastor a church and are deputising for experience.

yes i attend jubilee parish but no comment on pastor's wife grin lipsrsealed
Re: Should Pastor's Wife Preach In Their Husband's Absence? by damiso(f): 12:53pm On Dec 29, 2008
lucabrasi:

exactly my thoughs as well,what prompted this was first where i worshipped yestd strongtower parish,and the pastor's wife wasnt just preaching but it was obvious she had some issues with some church members and choir,her preaching wasnt coherent and second what are the jobs of the assistant pastors who apaprt from having much more experience than the pastor's wife most times,have a calling to pastor a church and are deputising for experience.

yes i attend jubilee parish but no comment on pastor's wife grin lipsrsealed

no comment too wink but i do know where you are coming from regarding the fact that you have worshipped at both of the RCCG parishes in manchester lipsrsealed.esp the former wink
Re: Should Pastor's Wife Preach In Their Husband's Absence? by AKO1(m): 1:53pm On Dec 29, 2008
What I have a problem with is Pastor's wives automatically assuming the role and title of "Pastor Mrs." once their husbands are called into the ministry.
Re: Should Pastor's Wife Preach In Their Husband's Absence? by jamace(m): 1:58pm On Dec 29, 2008
Whever I ponder on what is happening in our churches, particularly the penticostal ones I tremble in anger. If I may ask, has God's church become a family biz, where by the wife is the NOK of the husband? Hmmnn. There is nothing that poverty will not cause in Naija. Church is now a family biz. Maybe, that is why every preaching is based on prosperity. Prosperity for the family of course! In fact, some people are already of the opinion that churches pay tax, because the church is now a PLC. God please come quickly else there will be no faith left if you arrive late. Your kingdom on earth is already in tathers. Lord I am sorry if I have blasphemed, but that is what I observe sad.
Re: Should Pastor's Wife Preach In Their Husband's Absence? by lucabrasi(m): 2:22pm On Dec 29, 2008
@jamace
is not only in nigeria,even in the uk,united states e.t.c as well so poverty is not an excuse because these countrys mentioned are not poverty striken
@damiso
grin grin
Re: Should Pastor's Wife Preach In Their Husband's Absence? by uduikhofua: 3:11pm On Dec 29, 2008
A Pastor's wife should preach in the absence of her husband if she's already an ordained Deaconess or Pastor or an Officer of the Church who ordinarily should be able to preach in the absence of the head of the Church.

It will therefore not matter whether the preacher is male or female.
Re: Should Pastor's Wife Preach In Their Husband's Absence? by GoodMuyis(m): 3:24pm On Dec 29, 2008
ATTENTION PLZ

No matter how spiritual the wife is, she didn't have permission to preach in her Husband absence. If that happen that means the Church belong to the Husband and Wife also the resposibility of other Men Reps. in the church is useless.

Note: Women are to minister mostly to women in the church
They must learn under Men in silence as in the book of 1 Tim 3

thnks to the poster
Re: Should Pastor's Wife Preach In Their Husband's Absence? by huxley(m): 3:35pm On Dec 29, 2008
I doubt it is poverty that causes some of the issues you mention. More like ignorance, credulity and gullibility.
Re: Should Pastor's Wife Preach In Their Husband's Absence? by NegroNtns(m): 3:49pm On Dec 29, 2008
Luca,

Did you sit through her service? Sitting through the service with doubts and questions in your mind is counter to the purpose of going to temple to offer prayer to God. You are there for God, not for man or woman, husband or wife.
Re: Should Pastor's Wife Preach In Their Husband's Absence? by bindex(m): 3:50pm On Dec 29, 2008
The family business has to survive with or without the husband.
Re: Should Pastor's Wife Preach In Their Husband's Absence? by uzwu: 4:00pm On Dec 29, 2008
@bindex
you talk brash! may God help you
Re: Should Pastor's Wife Preach In Their Husband's Absence? by bindex(m): 4:04pm On Dec 29, 2008
uzwu:

@bindex
you talk brash! may God help you

grin grin grin grin
Re: Should Pastor's Wife Preach In Their Husband's Absence? by lucabrasi(m): 2:15am On Dec 31, 2008
Negro_Ntns:

Luca,

Did you sit through her service? Sitting through the service with doubts and questions in your mind is counter to the purpose of going to temple to offer prayer to God. You are there for God, not for man or woman, husband or wife.
i sat through the sermon but left when they started the announcements n stuffs,its not so much the sermon but the way it was being directed at specific groups of ppl in the church like the choir and church members to the extent that she said she ll have mentioned instances were church members expected to be picked up at home n stuffs, it just seemed kind of personal rather than an objective sermon hence my question
Re: Should Pastor's Wife Preach In Their Husband's Absence? by arinbola: 12:03am On May 03, 2011
Luca,
Get this clear in your mind and you will get an objective view of what it should be regarding the ministry of a Pastors' wife. The bilble tells us that a wife is an helps meet/mate for her husband which goes to say there is nothing bad in a pastor's wife helping her husband to hold view in his abscence only if she is capable in terms of ministerial grace to preach or share the word of God. Now, occassions like that presents an opportunity for the woman to AUTHORITATIVELY address some issues of concern which will best be understood by those concerned while others are expected to learn.
Also, we have some women who sees the ministry of their husbands as their personal business and as such would not want to interfere since the man doesn't interfere in her own business, such women even if they have the grace to preach will never go near the altar. In Judges 4:4 Deborah was a prophet and at the same time wife of Lapidoth, she was able to judge Isreal successfully at that time because her husband did not only give her a chance but also supported her. Most of our pastors that falls these days have bad history of no or little support of their wives and as a matter of fact this is one factor that determine being a pastor (1 Timothy 3:1-5). At Jubilee Parish in Manchester the pastor's wife is a great woman of God that I know personally from Nigeria before they were transfer to start that parish. She is a woman of the WORD and knows the implications of miss using it in such an occassion. Endure the word that is able to safe you and not enjoying the word. Bola Arinola
Re: Should Pastor's Wife Preach In Their Husband's Absence? by EarsWide(m): 9:00am On May 03, 2011
How come almost EVERY pastor has a wife who happens to be annointed as well ? It is ridiculous - we should open our eyes, these people are frauds!
Re: Should Pastor's Wife Preach In Their Husband's Absence? by Joagbaje(m): 3:27pm On May 03, 2011
It's not a must. But if she has the grace of preaching why not?. But a pastor have to be sure of her capability to do such. If it's not her area of grace,she should find her level maybe teaching children Sunday school or, decorations.

But if she has yielded herself to the word of God enough, it is not unscriptural to do what her husband is doing. There are examples from the bible where family members get involved with ministerial work.
Re: Should Pastor's Wife Preach In Their Husband's Absence? by EarsWide(m): 4:52pm On May 03, 2011
@Jo 'I can raise people' Agbaje

Even your fradulent and lying brain should tell you that the numbers dont add up - more than 80% of pastors also have annointed wives. It does not make any sense!

The obvious conclusion is that neither the pastor nor his wife are annointed - they are both hungry people who are trying to maximise the proceeds of their crimes.
Re: Should Pastor's Wife Preach In Their Husband's Absence? by ogajim(m): 5:40pm On May 03, 2011
This seems to be the RCCG model, I don't recall Kumuyi's late wife being an ordained Pastor or the current one for that matter. The "Pentecostal/WOF/SOF" Churches came up with this model to "keep it all in the house", A lot if not all their children are "Pastors" as well and have plum positions in the "Church"(looks more like business) hierarchy.

This model was definitely made in the USA, the late archbishop B. Idahosa could have imported it to Nigeria via his "partnership"? with Oral Roberts in the 80s.

(1) (Reply)

Obadiah777, What Exactly Is Your/the Gospel You Believed? / Seven Women Would Go For One Man! / Top 9 Nigerian Gospel Musicians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.