Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,215 members, 7,957,486 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 01:34 PM

Need Advice On A Getting Either A Tokunbo Or Naija Used Ride - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Need Advice On A Getting Either A Tokunbo Or Naija Used Ride (1873 Views)

2017 Mercedes GLE450 : The Latest Ride Of Davido, The Review! / Cow Takes A Ride In Honda Accord 2007 / Cost Of A Tokunbo Toyota Corolla Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Need Advice On A Getting Either A Tokunbo Or Naija Used Ride by Nobody: 11:46am On Feb 03, 2015
Hello guys pls I need you guys to help me in the decision making process of getting a ride

I plan on getting a 2002 model benz c240 but looking at the number of years such a car would have been used abroad b4 getting to cotonou (13yrs) I feel such a car may

have seen better days hence I thought of getting a naija used 2009 honda accord(evil spirit) or naija used 2008camry (muscle) which is in same budget as d toks benz I

wanted to get and is still more recent (6-7years) but my problem with naija used rides is the fear that they might have seen best days..so car gurus I need your sincerest

advise on which ride is best for me and reason why...thanks!
Re: Need Advice On A Getting Either A Tokunbo Or Naija Used Ride by nurey(m): 12:27pm On Feb 03, 2015
drlawizle:
Hello guys pls I need you guys to help me in the decision making process of getting a ride

I plan on getting a 2002 model benz c240 but looking at the number of years such a car would have been used abroad b4 getting to cotonou (13yrs) I feel such a car may

have seen better days hence I thought of getting a naija used 2009 honda accord(evil spirit) or naija used 2008camry (muscle) which is in same budget as d toks benz I

wanted to get and is still more recent (6-7years) but my problem with naija used rides is the fear that they might have seen best days..so car gurus I need your sincerest

advise on which ride is best for me and reason why...thanks!

A well maintained naija used car is same as tokunbo, after all the definition of tokunbo is well maintained used car so your emphasis on buying should be well maintained, but comparing a japanese to a german machine, the benz is a good product but the cost of maintenance and parts may be higher than the toyota or honda on the long run, if I were in your shoes, I would go for a recent 2008/2009 muscle or accord and have a piece of mind.

Now as for which one to choose, but honda and toyota a good and reliable product anyone you pick will definitely give you a piece of mind like they say "you can force a camel to the stream but you can't force it o drink water" don't let biased people come in and tell u which to pick get the right price, inspect it thoroughly, be contented with the look, pay for it and own a peace of mind.
Re: Need Advice On A Getting Either A Tokunbo Or Naija Used Ride by bravolad(m): 12:37pm On Feb 03, 2015
The years (13) may seem much but if it's properly maintained backed with a good history report, there's nothing wrong in buying it. Older cars that are well maintained still drive anew. The problem more often is maintenance, but since it's used overseas, they have better maintenance culture, knowledgeable mechanics, availability of serviceable parts & the drive to carry out repairs as at when it is due.

For the 2009 Honda Accord and 2008 Toyota Camry, they are basically the same thing depending on the trim you are looking at. Both are also good. But again, depending upon how long you intend to use it. If it's going to be a lone commuter for you (the only car), Camry seem to be more durable to withstand a daily use with minimal maintenance cost. Both also have good resale value but Camry has some edge.

I am a bit skeptical when buying a Nigerian used car. Most car users here don't have good maintenance habit. They don't even understand what it means to use the right & recommend engine oil and transmission fluid owing to either their inability to read manuals that come with vehicle they are using or unable to comprehend such manuals. Yet others seem very busy to read the basic instructions for proper maintenance. Except you know the owner & how meticulous he/she is with maintenance, I will advice you to stay away from Nigerian used. Most of the ones put up for sale have one underlying fault or the other arising from negligence from owners. One typical example is that most car owners here drive with their check engine lights, ABS, Trac VSC lights on without out knowing the implication. Still many others remove their thermostats and connect their fans direct based on mechanics advise.

My first choice will be the Benz if I can't afford a direct tokunbor of the Accord or Camry.

1 Like

Re: Need Advice On A Getting Either A Tokunbo Or Naija Used Ride by Nobody: 2:15pm On Feb 03, 2015
nurey:

A well maintained naija used car is same as tokunbo, after all the definition of tokunbo is well maintained used car so your emphasis on buying should be well maintained, but comparing a japanese to a german machine, the benz is a good product but the cost of maintenance and parts may be higher than the toyota or honda on the long run, if I were in your shoes, I would go for a recent 2008/2009 muscle or accord and have a piece of mind.

Now as for which one to choose, but honda and toyota a good and reliable product anyone you pick will definitely give you a piece of mind like they say "you can force a camel to the stream but you can't force it o drink water" don't let biased people come in and tell u which to pick get the right price, inspect it thoroughly, be contented with the look, pay for it and own a peace of mind.

You know a toks ride has only been used abroad before it was brought to the port....but a naija used ride has been used both abroad & in naija & you can never compare

Naija with abroad not with all our bad roads & mechanics...
Re: Need Advice On A Getting Either A Tokunbo Or Naija Used Ride by Mcdonelldouglas(m): 5:11pm On Feb 03, 2015
Personally i will not buy a nigerian used car whose thermostat has been removed, and cooling fan rewired to run at full speed. If those are intact, and the car looks neat overall, no rattling sounds when you drive or start the car. Watch out for auto transmission issues too. Infact run from Nigerian used cars. Goodluck.

1 Like

Re: Need Advice On A Getting Either A Tokunbo Or Naija Used Ride by nurey(m): 6:17pm On Feb 03, 2015
drlawizle:

You know a toks ride has only been used abroad before it was brought to the port....but a naija used ride has been used both abroad & in naija & you can never compare

Naija with abroad not with all our bad roads & mechanics...

You seems not to get my drift also you need to make proper research I will never buy a tokunbo naija used I will buy a bought brand new in naija and one user that's why u have to know the difference between ones sold new in naija and ones brought in as tokunbo (d difference exist u just have to find out) I am a living proof of a well maintained bought brand new naija used discussion continues (though the history of the maintenance was known prior to purchase 4yrs now now issues
Re: Need Advice On A Getting Either A Tokunbo Or Naija Used Ride by Nobody: 6:48pm On Feb 03, 2015
nurey:

You seems not to get my drift also you need to make proper research I will never buy a tokunbo naija used I will buy a bought brand new in naija and one user that's why u have to know the difference between ones sold new in naija and ones brought in as tokunbo (d difference exist u just have to find out) I am a living proof of a well maintained bought brand new naija used discussion continues (though the history of the maintenance was known prior to purchase 4yrs now now issues

Still boils down to the same thing...a brand new ride naija used ride can never stand a foreign toks...at the end of the day it will still be sold same orice as toks..example a brand new 2009 evil spirit that has been used in naija cant go for less than the price of a toks which is around 2.3 million and cant stand d ruggedity if an foreign used brand new ride hence it even better to buy d toks atimes sef..
Re: Need Advice On A Getting Either A Tokunbo Or Naija Used Ride by nurey(m): 7:36pm On Feb 03, 2015
drlawizle:

Still boils down to the same thing...a brand new ride naija used ride can never stand a foreign toks...at the end of the day it will still be sold same orice as toks..example a brand new 2009 evil spirit that has been used in naija cant go for less than the price of a toks which is around 2.3 million and cant stand d ruggedity if an foreign used brand new ride hence it even better to buy d toks atimes sef..

That is where you are wrong again reason for it not been easy to differentiate a well maintained bought brand new in naija and a well maintained tokunbo, a difference will exist not really in reliability or build quality but the difference is the naija brand new accord will never have navigation screen in any trim it may not have heated seat and climate control with a bad ass sound system just very minor difference that may be over looked.

Now let's take the toyota prado jeep and land cruiser for example you know almost (just my take) 80% on our roads were bought brand new here in naija, the ones have seen are still going strong after 10yrs in service and very clean why? Maintenance culture.

Now don't let us even talk of corrolla, civic, yaris et al. Infact a car with underlying problems and is of recent year would easily tell you from the dash board or even a test drive.

Now some will say what of the shocks and legs etc how will you know, ask those who have bought a tokunbo car whether they didn't even make any unforseen expense later.

This is just my advice, its your money and your choice hence go for what tickles your fancy

1 Like

Re: Need Advice On A Getting Either A Tokunbo Or Naija Used Ride by Nobody: 7:40pm On Feb 03, 2015
drlawizle:

@ bolded, I pray o!
Bros/sis, calm down go thru the bolded quote, read it S L O W L Y, think well and stop mis-informing people.

(1) (Reply)

How Good Is The Nissan Sentra 2013 Model? / Knocking Sound / Which do I buy please? The 2003 Toyota Sienna Vs 2002 Opel Zafira

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.