Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,245 members, 7,953,925 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 09:00 AM

Strange Engine Issues With 1997 Camry - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Strange Engine Issues With 1997 Camry (646 Views)

Strange Car Seen On Badagry, Lagos Road This Morning (photos) / Mercedes C220 Engine Issues / Strange Car Spotted At Ikotun, Lagos Yesterday(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Strange Engine Issues With 1997 Camry by Zaynee63: 2:09pm On Feb 03, 2015
I have been driving this 1997 Toyota Camry (Pencil Light) for 2.5 years now and it has served me quite well until recently.

The trouble doesn't seem very serious but i am afraid that it might get serious because it is strange. What i have noticed is that 30mins into start and drive, the speedometer suddenly stops working and the Mileage reader goes blank and the engine drops noticeably in power delivery i.e. to say, i have to push the gas pedal and ram to like 4000-5000rpm before it can maintain its acceleration. That moment of pushing the gas pedal only lasts for several seconds before the acceleration rather drops back to normal. Then the check-engine light comes on when it happens.

The acceleration drops almost back to normal (but not exactly normal because acceleration really does appear to require unusually higher rpm) when i am on a sustained speed like on a free way. But it suffices to say that I have noticed a marginally higher fuel consumption rate (like 20%) when this happens.

Then when i park and go for my daily activities and return hours later, the engine would show no problem, the check engine sign would be there but suddenly disappear while i am driving (apparently to show that everything is fine). Then maybe about an hour into my journey, the issue above starts again until I reach my destination.

Experts, please can you help? I have gone to scan but all the scanners are seeing is the ABS which has been there since i bought it and nothing more.
An elderly mechanic is telling me that it is an issue that has to do with speed-sensor and gear transmission bla bla bla. Can anyone in the house assist with an explanation? The car has been having this epilectic seizure for like 3months now and sometimes, when i drive for an hour, the epilepsy won't occur. Please help cry before it gets worse or something
Re: Strange Engine Issues With 1997 Camry by DECOtech(m): 9:33pm On Feb 04, 2015
Call 08030938491 if you are in lagos.

(1) (Reply)

Body Trims / Any Owode Parts Dealer In The House? ASAP / Please I Need Urgent Assistance On This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.