Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,315 members, 7,811,943 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:19 AM

Beware Of The Company Buyam.com - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Beware Of The Company Buyam.com (9056 Views)

Man Seeking Job As A Driver Crashes The Company's Car During His Job Interview / Pls Help.. Who Knows The Company Largem Firma & Partners / Why Submit Cv Online When U Can Go To The Company And Drop It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beware Of The Company Buyam.com by Nobody: 4:55pm On Feb 03, 2015
So, I and another girl got a job at Lekki Phase 1. I was called for an interview with the MD. I had both an oral and written interview. He was satisfied with me. This interview was conducted on a Monday. He said I should start work on Tuesday ( the next day). He stated that even though I was to start work, I would be on 2 weeks trial first, then 3 months probation. After that, I get full employment. We discussed the pay and he assured that if he was dissatisfied with me after the trial, I would be paid when I leave.
I started work the next day. First shock I had was that the company had just 2 employees. Myself and the other new girl brought us to a total of 4 employees. Mind you, this is an e-commerce company dealing in online shopping.
The other thing that bugged me was this. The company had 2 office suites in the same building. Why have 2 office suites when you have just 4 employees (myself and the other girl included)?? And he said himself that he didn't plan on getting more staff. So what do you need 2 office suites filled with computers, desks etc for? After a few days, myself and my fellow new colleague asked one of the guys there (he was more friendly than the other guy). He then explained that the company had like 40 employees before. I asked him where they all were. He said they all left. We asked why. He had no tangible reason to give us. Said they probably got better jobs. How could all those people get better offers all at once? And leave all at once?
Well, I concentrated on my job and I was soon to find out that my boss was a difficult man. Always complaining, never encouraging. Myself and my other new colleague caught on very quickly. We were proud of ourselves and worked really hard.
My boss was never happy though. Nothing could ever please him. We were not allowed to talk in the office, we were instead advised to send emails to each other if we had something to say to each other. Also standing up( except to use the restroom, go on break, or go speak with the MD) was prohibited. We did so well in our first week there but our boss was not happy. He admitted we did OK but said he didn't want "OK", he wanted "perfect" (this is after working for just one week o).
Second week, we did better. Few days into our 2nd week, d boss sacks our office cleaner who had worked for 2 weeks for misplacing a key (which was later found). This worried us. On Friday, he buys us pizza and drinks at the office. Myself and my new colleague feel this is a way to welcome us fully as a staff. We go home happy. Sunday night, we get an email telling us our appointments have been terminated. For no reason.
OK, we then wait to be paid for the 2 weeks we worked for. Till today we haven't heard a thing.
This is just to advise other job seekers to stay clear of that company. While there, I saw many CVS people sent in. As he has sacked us now, he would replace us with 2 other people and sack them after 2 weeks again. People should be careful.

11 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Beware Of The Company Buyam.com by stepo707: 5:35pm On Feb 03, 2015
Things that happen in this country ehn! so sickening sad sad sad

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of The Company Buyam.com by Nobody: 5:44pm On Feb 03, 2015
God bless you op.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of The Company Buyam.com by Nobody: 6:10pm On Feb 03, 2015
This is saddening.........I wonder what's really their motives for setting up a business venture without recourse to basic business success tips.
Re: Beware Of The Company Buyam.com by Nobody: 8:04pm On Feb 03, 2015
All emails sent to him have been ignored.
Re: Beware Of The Company Buyam.com by CashdownNG: 8:53pm On Feb 03, 2015
babeline:
Its really not fair. All emails sent to him concerning our salaries have been ignored. We do not have his number. Imagine that. I feel so bad. I missed other interviews because of that job. I didn't want to risk what I had for something I wasn't sure I'd get. Now I regret it. Has anyone else had same experience with this company before? If yes, pls share

babe, take this from me, all these online companies are mostly like this, truspot,jumia, supermart etc. are all like this. they employ temps, don't give resumption letters and at best give you a contact employment letter....

it's simple from that perspective, desperate people are the easiest to rip off and there's a little you can do from their angle...

next time: take a look at the company activities, are the workers around and about, are they nonchalant in duties etc... the devil is in the details

1 Like

Re: Beware Of The Company Buyam.com by Nobody: 9:04pm On Feb 03, 2015
I wasn't even allowed into the main office suite when I went there for my interview

CashdownNG:

babe, take this from me, all these online companies are mostly like this, truspot,jumia, supermart etc. are all like this. they employ temps, don't give resumption letters and at best give you a contact employment letter....

it's simple from that perspective, desperate people are the easiest to rip off and there's a little you can do from their angle...

next time: take a look at the company activities, are the workers around and about, are they nonchalant in duties etc... the devil is in the details
Re: Beware Of The Company Buyam.com by Nobody: 9:11pm On Feb 03, 2015
Anyone with the same experience with this company, pls share.
Re: Beware Of The Company Buyam.com by Nobody: 10:50pm On Feb 03, 2015
Babeline, I understand your plight.
I know this man personally and I know the business well.
He is the most loving person you can ever work with.
He isnt tough and evil as you believe.
He is probably going through tough times from your analogy as it is with other businesses in Nigeria.

I suppose he expected more from you and he didnt get it.
All the same I can understand why you feel cheated because of what you experienced there and what effort you might have put into working there.

I believe unarguably that your money will be paid.
Speak with the two other colleagues you met there and see what they say.

All the best.
Re: Beware Of The Company Buyam.com by Nobody: 11:26pm On Feb 03, 2015
I had a similar xperience but mine was an airline company called first nation, after making me spend close 2 50000k on medicals and police reports, after all d transport fares, to and fro, after over 6wks of training, after writing up to 20 sometin exams, dey threw me away like a piece of rag without any compensation.they spoilt my xmas day and new year day cos I cried a lot, very terrible, I call dis HUMAN EXPLOITATION. We must all fight against it

3 Likes

Re: Beware Of The Company Buyam.com by femidejulius(m): 1:04am On Feb 04, 2015
ATOB:
He is probably going through tough times from your analogy as it is with other businesses in Nigeria.

All the same I can understand why you feel cheated because of what you experienced there and what effort you might have put into working there.

All the best.

Since you know the man personally, ask him what the Op did to make him sack her the way he did. Ask him how many people he has sacked in two months. Ask him why workers in his organization must (be deaf and dump) not talk. Ask him why he would sack the Op without giving her any tangible reason. Ask also if he at a time had over 20 people working for him and why they all left him. Lastly, ask him if the pizza and the drinks he brought the OP was a gift or a send off.

Don't let it be long before you reply the questions I raised. Okay?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beware Of The Company Buyam.com by Nobody: 8:42am On Feb 04, 2015
veralu:
I had a similar xperience but mine was an airline company called first nation, after making me spend close 2 50000k on medicals and police reports, after all d transport fares, to and fro, after over 6wks of training, after writing up to 20 sometin exams, dey threw me away like a piece of rag without any compensation.they spoilt my xmas day and new year day cos I cried a lot, very terrible, I call dis HUMAN EXPLOITATION. We must all fight against it
Re: Beware Of The Company Buyam.com by Nobody: 8:47am On Feb 04, 2015
Thank you for this!

femidejulius:

Since you know the man personally, ask him what the Op did to make him sack her the way he did. Ask him how many people he has sacked in two months. Ask him why workers in his organization must (be deaf and dump) not talk. Ask him why he would sack the Op without giving her any tangible reason. Ask also if he at a time had over 20 people working for him and why they all left him. Lastly, ask him if the pizza and the drinks he brought the OP was a gift or a send off.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of The Company Buyam.com by singlefade25(f): 9:24am On Feb 04, 2015
Nairamode
Re: Beware Of The Company Buyam.com by Nobody: 12:34pm On Feb 04, 2015
He doesn't know the man personally,he is the man!! Read in between the lines naw!! Pls pay the lady her money! Why do u people keep doing this to nigerian's for God's sake? Don't promise what u can't give naw!!
femidejulius:

7 Likes

Re: Beware Of The Company Buyam.com by Nobody: 2:58pm On Feb 04, 2015
southniyikaye:
He doesn't know the man personally,he is the man!! Read in between the lines naw!! Pls pay the lady her money! Why do u people keep doing this to nigerian's for God's sake? Don't promise what u can't give naw!!

LMAO.
Abeg I no be the man o.
If I were the lady sha I would have gone the Monday after the Sunday to ask for the cash.
Re: Beware Of The Company Buyam.com by Nobody: 5:07pm On Feb 04, 2015
ATOB:

LMAO.
Abeg I no be the man o.
If I were the lady sha I would have gone the Monday after the Sunday to ask for the cash.
hehehehehehe,I don scare u small abi? Lolzzz
Re: Beware Of The Company Buyam.com by adewumiopeyemi(m): 1:50am On Feb 08, 2015
u are right after 6 month contract u will staff and they increase ur salary depewnd on ur performance i work in jumia... i no hw they do it... see all company give contract ...thgey cant just staff u like that
babeline:

I wasn't even allowed into the main office suite when I went there for my interview. I was asked to wait outside. Then the interview was conducted in the 2nd office suite (which was empty but I thought everyone had gone out). If I had known they had just 2 employees there, I would have found d whole thing suspicious. Found out only when I started.

Re: Beware Of The Company Buyam.com by Nobody: 10:28am On Feb 08, 2015
adewumiopeyemi:
u are right after 6 month contract u will staff and they increase ur salary depewnd on ur performance i work in jumia... i no hw they do it... see all company give contract ...thgey cant just staff u like that
Re: Beware Of The Company Buyam.com by adewumiopeyemi(m): 10:33am On Feb 08, 2015
first of all i will ask u hw much is the pay...and theyn want to no hw u can persom in that 3 week trial...before give u a contract remberr all company did nt staff people like that they give contract .. first.. even bank
babeline:
That I know. Like u said 6 months contract right? Well with this company, they said 2 weeks trial, then 3 months probation then they staff u. What's d point of d 2 weeks when after that u r on 3 months probation?? Is it possible to get the best out of someone in 2 weeks? Y sack after the 2 weeks without any major reason? Even cleaning staff was sacked

Re: Beware Of The Company Buyam.com by adewumiopeyemi(m): 10:35am On Feb 08, 2015
before i started working in jumia i was giving a two day trial.. before giving six month contract.... nw am on my 5 month trial nw...
adewumiopeyemi:
first of all i will ask u hw much is the pay...and theyn want to no hw u can persom in that 3 week trial...before give u a contract remberr all company did nt staff people like that they give contract .. first.. even bank
Re: Beware Of The Company Buyam.com by Nobody: 10:48am On Feb 08, 2015
adewumiopeyemi:
before i started working in jumia i was giving a two day trial.. before giving six month contract.... nw am on my 5 month trial nw...

OK they kept u on after 2 days right? Cos they knew it wasn't possible for someone to be perfect within 2 days.
Re: Beware Of The Company Buyam.com by adewumiopeyemi(m): 12:26pm On Feb 08, 2015
the problem is that your bos doesnt ave the money to pay u guys he does nt no hw to tell u that why.. and by the way hw much is the pay then
babeline:

OK they kept u on after 2 days right? Cos they knew it wasn't possible for someone to be perfect within 2 days. They just wanted to know if you would b able to grasp stuff easily. OK for my by the time I was there for 1 week, d boss admitted me n my other colleague were doing well but he wanted us to be "perfect". Second week we put in even more effort cos we wanted to prove ourselves. We did all this with little or no supervision. The other 2 colleagues in d office were praising us even and said we caught on really quick. 2 weeks on d dot d guy sacks us. He didn't give reasons. U get what I mean? The girl cleaning d office was sacked after 2 weeks too. On d dot. U get

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of The Company Buyam.com by Nobody: 12:46pm On Feb 08, 2015
ATOB:

All the best.

This, obviously, is the cheating, dubious and heartless employer that played you.....or his very crony. such rogues have close feelers on forums, and are themselves lurking around to know when their evils are exposed.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of The Company Buyam.com by Nobody: 4:54pm On Feb 08, 2015
adewumiopeyemi:
the problem is that your bos doesnt ave the money to pay u guys he does nt no hw to tell u that why.. and by the way hw much is the pay then

Yea that's what we realised.
Re: Beware Of The Company Buyam.com by kingthreat(m): 6:51pm On Feb 08, 2015
You should have visited their website before accepting employment. Those guys wanted to be like jumia but lacked both the intelligence and moneh to. Sorry babe. The Nigerian system enables bosses to use and dump you.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of The Company Buyam.com by Nobody: 8:12pm On Feb 08, 2015
kingthreat:
You should have visited their website before accepting employment. Those guys wanted to be like jumia but lacked both the intelligence and moneh to. Sorry babe. The Nigerian system enables bosses to use and dump you.

U know d company? Many people don't. I did check d website but thought it was under construction lol
Re: Beware Of The Company Buyam.com by kingthreat(m): 8:30pm On Feb 08, 2015
babeline:

U know d company? Many people don't. I did check d website but thought it was under construction lol

I have seen their ads on social media. They also disturbed me many times on phone to sell with them. When I was now ready, they said they were redeveloping their site. From the looks of their site then, I knew they have lost flair. Well I guess you move on anyways. Greater things coming your ways. That was just a lesson.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of The Company Buyam.com by damola1: 3:34am On Feb 09, 2015
Unfortunately, it's a rat race for all parties concerned. From what you wrote above, I deduce the following

The owner is very unhappy not because of you, but because he's 2 offices empty with rent running out and a business that is not looking too bright, probably a lot of debt also. All those 40 employees didn't disappear, he couldn't afford them also, the business model he chose didn't produce enough profit to pay them, so most of them didn't really get other jobs, they just stopped coming. Sorry, you got caught up, he's only trying to see what he can do to revive the entire process. And unfortunately, like the guy above said, he just couldn't afford you guys.

One of the biggest problems in the Nigerian business terrain is lack of investors, Jumia and Konga, got investors from overseas thats why they can float, it doesn't mean they are profitable yet but at least, they don't have to worry like your former employer, for almost every other player, they've to rely on personal resources, family and friends, which is not only small, but also almost not enough cos, they still have to make a lot of mistakes before they stabilize.

No doubt what the owner did is wicked, but he's only doing it the best way he thinks. I pray he finds his feet. And for you, I say, if one door doesn't close, another wouldn't open, expect open doors soon!.. Guaranteed!

5 Likes

Re: Beware Of The Company Buyam.com by Nobody: 7:58am On Feb 09, 2015
Thanks!

damola1:
Unfortunately, it's a rat race for all parties concerned. From what you wrote above, I deduce the following

The owner is very unhappy not because of you, but because he's 2 offices empty with rent running out and a business that is not looking too bright, probably a lot of debt also. All those 40 employees didn't disappear, he couldn't afford them also, the business model he chose didn't produce enough profit to pay them, so most of them didn't really get other jobs, they just stopped coming. Sorry, you got caught up, he's only trying to see what he can do to revive the entire process. And unfortunately, like the guy above said, he just couldn't afford you guys.

One of the biggest problems in the Nigerian business terrain is lack of investors, Jumia and Konga, got investors from overseas thats why they can float, it doesn't mean they are profitable yet but at least, they don't have to worry like your former employer, for almost every other player, they've to rely on personal resources, family and friends, which is not only small, but also almost not enough cos, they still have to make a lot of mistakes before they stabilize.

No doubt what the owner did is wicked, but he's only doing it the best way he thinks. I pray he finds his feet. And for you, I say, if one door doesn't close, another wouldn't open, expect open doors soon!.. Guaranteed!
Re: Beware Of The Company Buyam.com by Nobody: 8:32am On Feb 09, 2015
Kc2swit:

This, obviously, is the cheating, dubious and heartless employer that played you.....or his very crony. such rogues have close feelers on forums, and are themselves lurking around to know when their evils are exposed.

Your mind is narrow.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of The Company Buyam.com by sunshyng: 10:34am On Apr 11, 2015
No wonder each tyme I try to open their site its alway saying its under maintenance, am a good customer of online stores in Nigeria(name it) but so far so good, buyam has ben d best of all in terms of all their serices even to their delivery personels, probably the coy is experiencing a financial melt down at presence dats why d man had to do like dat but I must confess, I wonder wat cud have gone wrong cos the coy is beTter off to all other online stores in nigeria but guys let's look on d brighter side atleast d man dint start selling fake product or start collecting money and not deliver goods claiming he has issue with importers despite their ups and down onlike some stores am experiencing such with now dat I won't like to mention names. I miss d coy's service so much and wish them quick recovery from every of their ups and downs.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Spring Bank Recruitment / Apply For Leadhire Limited Graduate Internship Programme 2018 / Facilities Management Careers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.