Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,688 members, 7,809,601 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:51 AM

Is this Business Idea Worth Starting Up? (Car Dealer Site) - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is this Business Idea Worth Starting Up? (Car Dealer Site) (4747 Views)

Starting Up An Internet Service Provider(isp) Company / Starting Up A Filling Station: How Much Capital Is Needed? / Pls Help. Info Needed In Starting Up A Building Material And Sawmill Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is this Business Idea Worth Starting Up? (Car Dealer Site) by smartsoft(m): 4:04pm On Oct 05, 2005
Well guys, I do have different type of business ideas, but I want the house to say something about this.

Like having a website for car dealers, and I advertise on paper, whatever car they choose to buy, I'm entitlied to have 10% on any car bought from the website. What the buyer need to do is to call me direct and locate the type of car he/she wants from the website and I tell him the price. If he/she needs to see the car, I will take him/her to the company that sell the car, then he/she will see the car. And if interested, he/she will buy the car.

But the main point is this: to get to those company will I impose registration fee on them or make it free? Because it will cost me money to adverstise on Nigerian Newspapers. Is it really worth it or what do you think
Re: Is this Business Idea Worth Starting Up? (Car Dealer Site) by kazey(m): 4:58pm On Oct 05, 2005
The floor is opened. Hmmm.

The Idea is great but your concept is crowded with too many solutions. I really don't know how you plan to go about getting involved in all the areas you have mentioned, but who knows you might be able to push around it.

at the buyer need to do is to call me. direct and locate the type of car he/she wants from the Website and i tell him the price, if he/she needs to see the car, i will take him/her to the Company that sell the car, then he/she will see the car.. and if intrested.. he/she will buy the car.
Do you have the time and the funds to do that?

My suggestion is narrow down everything into a very simple precise solution. Concentrate more on the frontend transactions rather than the physical backend transactions.

Let your website be more of the search and be informed, rather than search, choose and I would give you a tour, because I am the agent. You can get the datas rather from your clients and then forward the information to your merchant with your charges. So I would encourage you to get your clients from the website and forward them to the seller to follow up. Saves you time, resources and money don't you think wink

Your website can have all the information required in a catalog form with features such as the ability to book for test drives, enquirers, picture display of the product etc.

Now 10% on every car, I wouldn't agree to that if I am a car dealer smiley Honestly, I am very generous when it comes to giving out portions but this just wouldn't work, The question is why should I use your solution? How am I ensured that every second spent with you giving you all the information on the car is worth it? As in respect to just ignoring you and sticking to my other already used working conventional way of marketing that product. You do have to consider all this.

Anything .com especially when it comes to the Nigerian market, requires that you really convince the merchant that would be involved, that it is really worth it. But the moment you start mentioning figures when solutions haven't even been implemented, It would scare them away.

Go for something like a test marketing concept, give it for free, establish a reputation and later charge for it. Which means you need capital, of course you do, its a business smiley. An example might be First 2 car sales in one month is free, who knows you might be able to sell first 2 cars in 3 days wink

And to end it, I would say , you should get more accurate informations from the dealer, in regards to what you plan to do. A survey on what they wouldn't mind getting involved in would be great. All the best.

1 Like

Re: Is this Business Idea Worth Starting Up? (Car Dealer Site) by smartsoft(m): 5:02pm On Oct 05, 2005
You have really spoken !
Re: Is this Business Idea Worth Starting Up? (Car Dealer Site) by layi(m): 5:32pm On Oct 06, 2005
Nice post kazey
Re: Is this Business Idea Worth Starting Up? (Car Dealer Site) by Ka: 10:09pm On Oct 06, 2005
Smartsoft,

It's a good idea... just two issues:

1. As Kazey has mentioned, it's not a good idea to tie yourself down running up and down and taking calls because someone has seen a car they want to buy on your site. What would be better is if your site offers partial information, with the rest to be revealed on payment of money. The problem is that there are no established e-commerce solutions to make this easy, so perhaps the only solution is for them to pay money into your account, for them to give you their phone number and for you to text them a pin that they can use access the rest of the info. Then they can do their own legwork.

2. The second issue is that you are going to need to achieve a critical mass of car dealerships on your site before (a) car dealers take you seriously enough to want to list their dealerships on your site and (b) prospective car owners take you seriously enough to want to search your site and pay money for the info. As an example, look at how seriously computer shoppers and sellers take the Guardian on Wednesday.

You can do this by doing a lot of legwork and going from dealer to dealer to get all the information and list it on your website for free, and then letting everyone know that they can access the site or free (for a limited period). Once the word spreads that your site is the place to go to for cars, then you will be in a position to charge money for access. But it will take a while to get to that position, though...
Re: Is this Business Idea Worth Starting Up? (Car Dealer Site) by kodewrita(m): 6:28pm On Oct 20, 2005
sorry but at the moment nigerians don't buy by proxy. but don't stop because of me, refine it and find the unique twist thatt wud make it a sucess in such and environment.
Re: Is this Business Idea Worth Starting Up? (Car Dealer Site) by haywhy(m): 1:05pm On Jul 11, 2006
Hi to you all, i am skeptical abou a particular business.
The business is about an sms website but i dont know about generating traffic and thus profit is not guaranteed. Getting a website as we all know is a small thing but getting traffic is the problem. Any advice as to what method of advertisment is good, it will take about what period for it to be effective and is an sms website what having.
Re: Is this Business Idea Worth Starting Up? (Car Dealer Site) by Mongue(m): 4:07pm On Jul 11, 2006
In essence what you need to do is set up a site where car dealers pay to ADVERTISE their cars. You don't make any money from the actual sales but the more they sell the more they will advertise with you.

It's always a difficult business to get started as when you have a dealer willing to advertise he wants to see results but it takes a decent amount of content to get people to come and look at your site. I imagine you would have to start with a few companies by giving them FREE ADVERTISING. This means that you have some conent and you can then find ways to get traffic to come and view it.

Once the traffic increases you can market for more dealers and start with say 1 months free adverts and then start charging by the advert that they place.

I used to work for a online JOB site and we charged by the advert per week. This was in the UK and when i joined the owner was driving a Nissan Micra and living in a 3 bed terraced house. About ten years later when he had sold out he was driving Ferrari's and Aston Martins and buying Ranch in South Africa. He was very lucky but there's money to be made if you have patience and dedication.

Check out www.autotrader.co.uk this started as a magazine but now people mainly search online. Individuals and dealers advertise their cars and the guy who set this one up is the multi-millionaire owner of newly promoted Reading football club!

There are people doing these type of sites but the main problem is lack of relevant and updated content. I look at them once and see Jobs or Houses for sale from 2 years ago and give up! Maybe now that more people are getting online in this country it's a good idea to get started.
Re: Is this Business Idea Worth Starting Up? (Car Dealer Site) by DoMH: 5:14pm On Jul 11, 2006
Re: Is this Business Idea Worth Starting Up? (Car Dealer Site) by goodbobo: 5:06pm On Jul 17, 2006
wake up . such can work out in nigeria . i am not discouraging u but is the truth . u can use this ur idea and refine it into something better dont discard the idea
Re: Is this Business Idea Worth Starting Up? (Car Dealer Site) by lince: 2:11pm On Jul 18, 2006
IT seems to be a great idea sure it will work fine so go on let's cheer him. cool cool
Online business
Re: Is this Business Idea Worth Starting Up? (Car Dealer Site) by diyobdw(f): 7:29am On Feb 06, 2007
I know this is been a while but you this is useful to know

@topic:
Yes it is a valuable biz if done properly.Guess the best way to run this biz is to use the site for catalog purposes.

How do you get your money?
Dealers will pay you.

Task involved:

You need to do your biz paln and look at the figures and how you can make profit.(this is key to any biz no matter how small)
Research added value to site visitors and incentive to make them buy- that is the only way dealers will feel comfortable to pay you.

Yes, you would have to start free and incur some advert cost( offline advert).

You have to contantly update each dealers page.- whcih include visiting their place, taking pictures and get constant info to stay up to date.

You need to do your booking and tracking of activites of your site on a daily basis
Ideas:
Need to get adsense and like on the site.(but dont clustter the site with them)

Design a friendly simple to navigate site and have search and site map links on all pages.

propose exchange links with other related site

Here is another site for you http://www.automerchanting.com/
Re: Is this Business Idea Worth Starting Up? (Car Dealer Site) by denny4ril: 5:04pm On Jun 11, 2010
online business is worth starting up. Capital investment is low, mass clients in a short time and very small office space is required. U can do Internet real estate where you buy domain names and sell at huge profit and much more!!!
Re: Is this Business Idea Worth Starting Up? (Car Dealer Site) by kodewrita(m): 10:08pm On Sep 12, 2012
If I or anyone on this thread have discouraged this person, I thoroughly apologise.

Fast forward a few years and this site comes up with exactly the same content as this poster's idea and its a hit: www.

Sometimes you just have to ignore the naysayers and just execute.
Re: Is this Business Idea Worth Starting Up? (Car Dealer Site) by spicyv1(f): 2:49pm On Sep 13, 2012
This was such a looong time ago, I wonder what became θf that brilliant idea.

(1) (Reply)

GTB Named Best Nigerian Bank By Euromoney Mag / Ex Corps Member Making It At His PPA / How To Detect Fake China Visa (features Of Chinese Visa.)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.